You will be successful in your work.

tech / rec.crafts.metalworking / Angle shelving uprights - too much point load?

SubjectAuthor
* Angle shelving uprights - too much point load?Jon Danniken
+* Re: Angle shelving uprights - too much point load?Jim Wilkins
|`- Re: Angle shelving uprights - too much point load?Jon Danniken
+- Re: Angle shelving uprights - too much point load?Bob La Londe
`- Re: Angle shelving uprights - too much point load?Cydrome Leader

1
Angle shelving uprights - too much point load?

<si3029$12h4$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5107&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5107

From: non...@invalid.com (Jon Danniken)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Angle shelving uprights - too much point load?
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 16:07:21 -0500
 by: Jon Danniken - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 21:07 UTC

I picked up a sturdy shelving unit (2' x 4' for now) from a local
industrial liquidator; it uses perforated angle for the uprights, and
will live in a residential garage.

While the unit is far more sturdy than I will load it, I still can't
help but think about all of the weight being concentrated on four 1-1/2"
angle ends on the concrete pad.

Is it typical to put some type of base below the angle ends to spread
the load out (steel/wood)?

Thanks,

Jon

Re: Angle shelving uprights - too much point load?

<si31pt$n59$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5108&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5108

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Angle shelving uprights - too much point load?
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 17:36:42 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 21:36 UTC

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message news:si3029$12h4$2@gioia.aioe.org...

I picked up a sturdy shelving unit (2' x 4' for now) from a local
industrial liquidator; it uses perforated angle for the uprights, and
will live in a residential garage.

While the unit is far more sturdy than I will load it, I still can't
help but think about all of the weight being concentrated on four 1-1/2"
angle ends on the concrete pad.

Is it typical to put some type of base below the angle ends to spread
the load out (steel/wood)?

Thanks,

Jon

---------------------------

I haven't used pads under shelving but I have under other things. They can
be difficult to keep in place while setting up unless they are bolted or
welded to the legs. A bigger problem is twisting since the diagonal braces
typically resist only tension.

Re: Angle shelving uprights - too much point load?

<si4ji8$1ae1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5110&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5110

From: non...@invalid.com (Jon Danniken)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 06:46:16 -0500
 by: Jon Danniken - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 11:46 UTC

On 9/17/21 4:36 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "Jon Danniken"  wrote in message news:si3029$12h4$2@gioia.aioe.org...
>
> I picked up a sturdy shelving unit (2' x 4' for now) from a local
> industrial liquidator; it uses perforated angle for the uprights, and
> will live in a residential garage.
>
> While the unit is far more sturdy than I will load it, I still can't
> help but think about all of the weight being concentrated on four 1-1/2"
> angle ends on the concrete pad.
>
> Is it typical to put some type of base below the angle ends to spread
> the load out (steel/wood)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon
>
> ---------------------------
>
> I haven't used pads under shelving but I have under other things. They
> can be difficult to keep in place while setting up unless they are
> bolted or welded to the legs. A bigger problem is twisting since the
> diagonal braces typically resist only tension.

Hey thanks Jim, I've already planned on using some angle scraps to
fasten the uprights to the base pads.

Jon

Re: Angle shelving uprights - too much point load?

<si7pq4$1dbl$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5114&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5114

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 09:51:16 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 16:51 UTC

On 9/17/2021 2:07 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
> I picked up a sturdy shelving unit (2' x 4' for now) from a local
> industrial liquidator; it uses perforated angle for the uprights, and
> will live in a residential garage.
>
> While the unit is far more sturdy than I will load it, I still can't
> help but think about all of the weight being concentrated on four 1-1/2"
> angle ends on the concrete pad.
>
> Is it typical to put some type of base below the angle ends to spread
> the load out (steel/wood)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon

Look at grocery store shelving. Usually called gondola shelving.
Cantilever strength depends on THE strength of the materials.

https://www.avg.com

Re: Angle shelving uprights - too much point load?

<si82i1$s4k$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5117&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5117

From: prese...@MUNGEpanix.com (Cydrome Leader)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 19:20:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Cydrome Leader - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 19:20 UTC

Jon Danniken <none@invalid.com> wrote:
> I picked up a sturdy shelving unit (2' x 4' for now) from a local
> industrial liquidator; it uses perforated angle for the uprights, and
> will live in a residential garage.
>
> While the unit is far more sturdy than I will load it, I still can't
> help but think about all of the weight being concentrated on four 1-1/2"
> angle ends on the concrete pad.

Are you confusing mud with concrete?

> Is it typical to put some type of base below the angle ends to spread
> the load out (steel/wood)?

Not sure how many tons you plan to put on this shelf to cause the legs to
punch through through your concrete floor. Securing it to a wall so it
doesn't twist and fall over is not a bad idea though. Single shelving
units are fairly unstable, unless it's something like a Metrorack.