C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas l'Informatique. -- Bosquet [on seeing the IBM 4341]

tech / rec.crafts.metalworking / Re: Onlinemetals much cheaper than McMaster Carr

SubjectAuthor
* Onlinemetals much cheaper than McMaster CarrJohn Doe
+* Re: Onlinemetals much cheaper than McMaster CarrBob La Londe
|`* Re: Onlinemetals much cheaper than McMaster CarrJohn Doe
| `* Re: Onlinemetals much cheaper than McMaster CarrBob La Londe
|  `* Re: Onlinemetals much cheaper than McMaster CarrJohn Doe
|   `* Re: Onlinemetals much cheaper than McMaster CarrBob La Londe
|    +* Re: Onlinemetals much cheaper than McMaster CarrBob La Londe
|    |`* Re: Onlinemetals much cheaper than McMaster CarrJohn Doe
|    | `- Re: Onlinemetals much cheaper than McMaster CarrEdward Hernandez
|    `* Re: Onlinemetals much cheaper than McMaster CarrJohn Doe
|     `* Re: Onlinemetals much cheaper than McMaster CarrEdward Hernandez
|      `* Re: Onlinemetals much cheaper than McMaster CarrJohn Doe
|       `- Re: Onlinemetals much cheaper than McMaster CarrEdward Hernandez
`- Re: Onlinemetals much cheaper than McMaster CarrCydrome Leader

1
Re: Onlinemetals much cheaper than McMaster Carr

<shl977$1k40$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5055&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5055

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Onlinemetals much cheaper than McMaster Carr
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 09:17:42 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 16:17 UTC

On 9/12/2021 8:38 AM, John Doe wrote:
> Is there an easy explanation for that? For example aluminum round rod, 6061
> and 2024.
>
> Now, both include shipping charges on the order page, great for very small
> orders :D
>
> McMaster Carr shipping seems weird. The initial shipping charge for one rod
> is less, but jumps when another (same length) rod is added. It didn't jump
> like that when adding same length flat bar pieces (prior order).

Midwest is cheaper than Online Metals. By a lot. They are also very
very very very very (maybe one more very) very slow to ship. I've
canceled a few orders due to waiting weeks and weeks and weeks.

Xometry is also cheaper than Online metals on most things, but they have
a fairly limited selection. They are competitive with Midwest on single
piece units or atleast close, but they give no quantity discounts.
Midwest smokes them on quantity. Xometry smokes Midwest on service
time. They almost always ship by the next business day, and sometimes
the same day.

For aluminum and stainless in any quantity at all (full bars/sheets
only) Coast is the best price, and they send a truck to my town twice a
month. $50 drop charge and $16 order PO processing charge. They waive
the drop charges for modest size orders. Their price is good enough
that I can often break even over buying from a local yard on one or two
pieces. I try to stock up a little whenever I have money and I save a
lot. They give a small discount at 500 and 1000 lbs. Usually I am
ordering a couple hundred pounds. Like I said even for one or two
pieces I tend to save over my local metal yards, and its a lot cheaper
than the truck freight from XoMidCarrOnline.

For small pieces I always check McMaster. Sometimes they surprise me.
(Usually they don't).

Another to check sometimes is Stock Car Steel. I used to buy precut
aluminum blanks from them, but their price is only mediocre and shipping
from the East Coast was always an issue. Not as bad as Midwest, but it
takes time. (Nobody was as bad as Midwest for ship time.)

Stoner Materials is worth a look as is the 6061dude. Heck Ebay can be a
good resource for small pieces although many Ebay sellers are charging
close to retail metal yard price for their drops now. That's ok if they
have the size you want, but kind of a pain if you still have to
preprocess it.

https://www.avg.com

Re: Onlinemetals much cheaper than McMaster Carr

<shp3jq$cng$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5059&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5059

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 03:06:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 03:06 UTC

Bob La Londe wrote:

> John Doe wrote:

>> Is there an easy explanation for that? For example aluminum round rod,
>> 6061 and 2024.
>>
>> Now, both (McMaster and Online metals) include shipping charges on the
>> order page, great for teeny tiny orders!

> Midwest is cheaper than Online Metals. By a lot.

What about two pieces, 1 foot (cold rolled, 6061 and 2024) 7/16 inch diameter
solid round rod for less than $20 (total, including tax and UPS ground)?

> Ebay can be a good resource for small pieces although many Ebay sellers
> are charging close to retail metal yard price for their drops now.
> That's ok if they have the size you want, but kind of a pain if you
> still have to preprocess it.

If I can find something on Amazon, that's always great for the Prime fast
shipping. Amazing the little cheap things they ship in one or 2 days. And
almost everybody here can get Prime for half price!

Re: Onlinemetals much cheaper than McMaster Carr

<shqict$sje$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5061&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5061

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 09:24:59 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 16:24 UTC

On 9/13/2021 8:06 PM, John Doe wrote:
> Bob La Londe wrote:
>
>> John Doe wrote:
>
>>> Is there an easy explanation for that? For example aluminum round rod,
>>> 6061 and 2024.
>>>
>>> Now, both (McMaster and Online metals) include shipping charges on the
>>> order page, great for teeny tiny orders!
>
>> Midwest is cheaper than Online Metals. By a lot.
>
> What about two pieces, 1 foot (cold rolled, 6061 and 2024) 7/16 inch diameter
> solid round rod for less than $20 (total, including tax and UPS ground)?

Huh? What are you asking? If I will go to their websites, plug in your
spec, and do all possible order configurations and report back to you at
your direction and convenience with a concise report on all possible
options in triplicate with third party verification?

This is the reason I sometimes just keep scrolling even when I know I
can help somebody. I actually like helping people, but when you GIVE
somebody all the information they need to help themselves and they
effectively say, "do it for me," it kind of ruins it.

https://www.avg.com

Re: Onlinemetals much cheaper than McMaster Carr

<shqktu$c41$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5062&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5062

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 17:08:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 17:08 UTC

Bob La Londe wrote:

> John Doe wrote:
>> Bob La Londe wrote:

>>> Midwest is cheaper than Online Metals. By a lot.
>>
>> What about two pieces, 1 foot (cold rolled, 6061 and 2024) 7/16 inch
>> diameter solid round rod for less than $20 (total, including tax and
>> UPS ground)?

> Huh? What are you asking? If I will go to their websites, plug in your
> spec, and do all possible order configurations and report back to you at
> your direction and convenience with a concise report on all possible
> options in triplicate with third party verification?

That's a "straw man".

It's a simple request, nothing like that.

> This is the reason I sometimes just keep scrolling even when I know I
> can help somebody. I actually like helping people, but when you GIVE
> somebody all the information they need to help themselves and they
> effectively say, "do it for me," it kind of ruins it.

Oh come on. You are shiling as much as you are helping. I recall you
posting almost the same answer at least one time before. I distinctly
remember some of it.

I seriously doubt it can be by "a lot" even percentagewise considering the
price difference between McMaster Carr and Onlinemetals. But I accept the
likelihood you are talking in general terms, like talking about ordering
lots of metal at a time.

Re: Onlinemetals much cheaper than McMaster Carr

<shqr0c$144m$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5064&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5064

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 11:51:54 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 18:51 UTC

On 9/14/2021 10:08 AM, John Doe wrote:
> Bob La Londe wrote:
>
>> John Doe wrote:

>>> What about two pieces, 1 foot (cold rolled, 6061 and 2024) 7/16 inch
>>> diameter solid round rod for less than $20 (total, including tax and
>>> UPS ground)?
>
>> Huh? What are you asking? If I will go to their websites, plug in your
>> spec, and do all possible order configurations and report back to you at
>> your direction and convenience with a concise report on all possible
>> options in triplicate with third party verification?
>
> That's a "straw man".
>
> It's a simple request, nothing like that.

See if you weren't the exact kind of thoughtless and selfish jerk I
pointed out your response would have been more like, "Yeah, sorry.
Thanks for the help. I'll check it out." You are a typical anonymous
keyboard wannabe. Safe behind your screen in your mommy's basement or
maybe in the basement of Online Metals.

I didn't shill for anybody. That is a bald face lie. I own my own
business that has purchased both small and medium size orders and price
checked many times from all of these vendors over the course of many
years. I shared my first hand experience for your benefit. I provided
valuable feedback based on your comments that unless your not only a
selfish thoughtless jerk, but also grossly incompetent, you could easily
check for yourself. You sound much more like a shill for Onlinemetals.
I have no stake in any of those vendors. Ask them. I post with my
real name, and I buy from whomever gives me the best service 1st and
price 2nd. Not from some online abuser who says they will also quote
orders and then the quote comes in higher than their advertised prices.

Yes I am an asshole too, but unlike you I am not a selfish and
thoughtless anonymous product shilling asshole.

If anything you have nudged my ambivalence about OnLineMetals towards
dislike because they are associated with you. Your shill attempt failed
catastrophically.

Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

https://www.avg.com

Re: Onlinemetals much cheaper than McMaster Carr

<shqr2d$144m$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5065&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5065

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 11:52:59 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 18:52 UTC

On 9/14/2021 11:51 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 9/14/2021 10:08 AM, John Doe wrote:
>> Bob La Londe wrote:

>>> Huh?  What are you asking?  If I will go to their websites, plug in your
>>> spec, and do all possible order configurations and report back to you at
>>> your direction and convenience with a concise report on all possible
>>> options in triplicate with third party verification?
>>
>> That's a "straw man".
>>
>> It's a simple request, nothing like that.
>

> See if you weren't the exact kind of thoughtless and selfish jerk I
> pointed out your response would have been more like, "Yeah, sorry.
> Thanks for the help. I'll check it out."  You are a typical anonymous
> keyboard wannabe.  Safe behind your screen in your mommy's basement or
> maybe in the basement of Online Metals.
>
> I didn't shill for anybody.  That is a bald face lie. I own my own
> business that has purchased both small and medium size orders and price
> checked many times from all of these vendors over the course of many
> years.  I shared my first hand experience for your benefit.  I provided
> valuable feedback based on your comments that unless your not only a
> selfish thoughtless jerk, but also grossly incompetent, you could easily
> check for yourself.  You sound much more like a shill for Onlinemetals.
>  I have no stake in any of those vendors.  Ask them.  I post with my
> real name, and I buy from whomever gives me the best service 1st and
> price 2nd. Not from some online abuser who says they will also quote
> orders and then the quote comes in higher than their advertised prices.
>
> Yes I am an asshole too, but unlike you I am not a selfish and
> thoughtless anonymous product shilling asshole.
>
> If anything you have nudged my ambivalence about OnLineMetals towards
> dislike because they are associated with you.  Your shill attempt failed
> catastrophically.
>
> Bob La Londe
> Yuma, Az

Anyway, since you obviously did not make your first post in any
sincerity... K

https://www.avg.com

Re: Onlinemetals much cheaper than McMaster Carr

<shqsro$cl1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5067&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5067

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking,free.spam
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 19:23:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 19:23 UTC

Troll...

--
Bob La Londe <none@none.com99> wrote:

> From: Bob La Londe <none@none.com99>
> Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
> Subject: Re: Onlinemetals much cheaper than McMaster Carr
> Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 11:51:54 -0700
>
> On 9/14/2021 10:08 AM, John Doe wrote:
>> Bob La Londe wrote:

>>> Huh? What are you asking? If I will go to their websites, plug in your
>>> spec, and do all possible order configurations and report back to you at
>>> your direction and convenience with a concise report on all possible
>>> options in triplicate with third party verification?
>>
>> That's a "straw man".
>>
>> It's a simple request, nothing like that.
>

> See if you weren't the exact kind of thoughtless and selfish jerk I
> pointed out your response would have been more like, "Yeah, sorry.
> Thanks for the help. I'll check it out." You are a typical anonymous
> keyboard wannabe. Safe behind your screen in your mommy's basement or
> maybe in the basement of Online Metals.
>
> I didn't shill for anybody. That is a bald face lie. I own my own
> business that has purchased both small and medium size orders and price
> checked many times from all of these vendors over the course of many
> years. I shared my first hand experience for your benefit. I provided
> valuable feedback based on your comments that unless your not only a
> selfish thoughtless jerk, but also grossly incompetent, you could easily
> check for yourself. You sound much more like a shill for Onlinemetals.
> I have no stake in any of those vendors. Ask them. I post with my
> real name, and I buy from whomever gives me the best service 1st and
> price 2nd. Not from some online abuser who says they will also quote
> orders and then the quote comes in higher than their advertised prices.
>
> Yes I am an asshole too, but unlike you I am not a selfish and
> thoughtless anonymous product shilling asshole.
>
> If anything you have nudged my ambivalence about OnLineMetals towards
> dislike because they are associated with you. Your shill attempt failed
> catastrophically.
>
> Bob La Londe
> Yuma, Az
>

> --
> https://www.avg.com

Re: Onlinemetals much cheaper than McMaster Carr

<shqsuq$cl1$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5068&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5068

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking,free.spam
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 19:25:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 19:25 UTC

Demented rambling troll...

--

<shr3tv$1fi1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5069&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5069

From: dtgame...@gmail.com (Edward Hernandez)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 21:24:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Edward Hernandez - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 21:24 UTC

The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id
<sdhn7c$pkp$4@dont-email.me>:

> The troll doesn't even know how to format a USENET post...

And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id
<sg3kr7$qt5$1@dont-email.me>:

> The reason Bozo cannot figure out how to get Google to keep from
> breaking its lines in inappropriate places is because Bozo is > CLUELESS...

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another
incorectly formatted USENET posting on Tue, 14 Sep 2021 19:23:36 -0000
(UTC) in message-id <shqsro$cl1$1@dont-email.me>.

Re: Onlinemetals much cheaper than McMaster Carr

<shr3ul$1fj1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5070&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5070

From: dtgame...@gmail.com (Edward Hernandez)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 21:24:37 -0000 (UTC)

<sg3kr7$qt5$1@dont-email.me>:

> The reason Bozo cannot figure out how to get Google to keep from
> breaking its lines in inappropriate places is because Bozo is > CLUELESS...

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another
incorectly formatted USENET posting on Tue, 14 Sep 2021 19:25:14 -0000
(UTC) in message-id <shqsuq$cl1$2@dont-email.me>.

Re: Onlinemetals much cheaper than McMaster Carr

<shrpvm$h8g$10@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5072&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5072

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking,free.spam
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 03:40:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 03:40 UTC

A weird nym-shifting troll, usually "Corvid" (also "Charger Boy", see sci.electronics.repair)...

see also...
=?UTF-8?Q?C=c3=b6rvid?= <bl@ckbirds.org>
=?UTF-8?B?8J+QriBDb3dzIGFyZSBOaWNlIPCfkK4=?= <nice@cows.moo>
Banders <snap@mailchute.com>
Covid-19 <always.look@message.header>
Corvid <bl@ckbirds.net>
Corvid <bl@ckbirds.org>
Cows Are Nice <cows@nice.moo>
Cows are nice <moo@cows.org>
Cows are Nice <nice@cows.moo>
dogs <dogs@home.com>
Edward H. <dtgamer99@gmail.com>
Edward Hernandez <dtgamer99@gmail.com>
Great Pumpkin <pumpkin@patch.net>
Jose Curvo <jcurvo@mymail.com>
Local Favorite <how2recycle@palomar.info>
Peter Weiner <dtgamer99@gmail.com>
Sea <freshness@coast.org>
Standard Poodle <standard@poodle.com>
triangles <build@home.com>
and others...

--
Edward Hernandez <dtgamer99@gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Edward Hernandez <dtgamer99@gmail.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
> Subject: Re: Onlinemetals much cheaper than McMaster Carr
> Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 21:24:15 -0000 (UTC)
>
> The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id
> <sdhn7c$pkp$4@dont-email.me>:
>
>> The troll doesn't even know how to format a USENET post...
>
> And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id
> <sg3kr7$qt5$1@dont-email.me>:
>
>> The reason Bozo cannot figure out how to get Google to keep from
>> breaking its lines in inappropriate places is because Bozo is > CLUELESS...
>
> And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another
> incorectly formatted USENET posting on Tue, 14 Sep 2021 19:23:36 -0000
> (UTC) in message-id <shqsro$cl1$1@dont-email.me>.

Re: Onlinemetals much cheaper than McMaster Carr

<shsp1u$ueg$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5075&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5075

From: dtgame...@gmail.com (Edward Hernandez)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 12:30:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Edward Hernandez - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 12:30 UTC

<sg3kr7$qt5$1@dont-email.me>:

> The reason Bozo cannot figure out how to get Google to keep from
> breaking its lines in inappropriate places is because Bozo is > CLUELESS...

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another
incorectly formatted USENET posting on Wed, 15 Sep 2021 03:40:39 -0000
(UTC) in message-id <shrpvm$h8g$10@dont-email.me>.

Re: Onlinemetals much cheaper than McMaster Carr

<si6bvg$oik$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5112&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5112

From: prese...@MUNGEpanix.com (Cydrome Leader)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 03:49:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Cydrome Leader - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 03:49 UTC

John Doe <always.look@message.header> wrote:
> Is there an easy explanation for that? For example aluminum round rod, 6061
> and 2024.
>
> Now, both include shipping charges on the order page, great for very small
> orders :D
>
> McMaster Carr shipping seems weird. The initial shipping charge for one rod
> is less, but jumps when another (same length) rod is added. It didn't jump
> like that when adding same length flat bar pieces (prior order).

mcmaster sucks is the primary reason.

Onlinemetals much cheaper than McMaster Carr

<shl6sv$s59$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5163&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5163

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Onlinemetals much cheaper than McMaster Carr
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 15:38:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 15:38 UTC