From: pand...@knoware.nl (Pandora)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Subject: New filter-feeding pterosaur from Solnhofen
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 21:53:39 +0100
 by: Pandora - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 20:53 UTC

A new pterodactyloid pterosaur with a unique filter-feeding apparatus
from the Late Jurassic of Germany

Abstract

A new long-legged, spatula-beaked, filter-feeding pterodactyloid
pterosaur from Upper Jurassic plattenkalk limestones at Wattendorf,
Bavaria, Southern Germany, is remarkable for its completeness, unusual
dentition and hints of the preservation of soft tissues, including
wing membranes. The fully articulated specimen displays both jaws each
side with over one hundred sub-parallel-sided teeth with a small,
slightly hooked expansion at the crown tip. There are at least 480
teeth in total. The tip of the rostrum widens to a spatula-like,
laterally concave structure with teeth only along its lateral margins.
The straight anterior margin is devoid of teeth allowing plankton-rich
water to stream in, while the teeth interdigitate forming a fine mesh
trap. A slightly up swept rostrum assisted filtering by probable
pulsating movements of the long neck, while wading or swimming through
shallow water.

Open access:
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12542-022-00644-4

Re: New filter-feeding pterosaur from Solnhofen

<WzydnWpe1KzPq1L-nZ2dnZfqlJ9j4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5209&group=sci.bio.paleontology#5209

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 17:37:22 -0800
Subject: Re: New filter-feeding pterosaur from Solnhofen
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: john.har...@gmail.com (John Harshman)
 by: John Harshman - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 01:37 UTC

On 1/23/23 12:53 PM, Pandora wrote:
> A new pterodactyloid pterosaur with a unique filter-feeding apparatus
> from the Late Jurassic of Germany
>
> Abstract
>
> A new long-legged, spatula-beaked, filter-feeding pterodactyloid
> pterosaur from Upper Jurassic plattenkalk limestones at Wattendorf,
> Bavaria, Southern Germany, is remarkable for its completeness, unusual
> dentition and hints of the preservation of soft tissues, including
> wing membranes. The fully articulated specimen displays both jaws each
> side with over one hundred sub-parallel-sided teeth with a small,
> slightly hooked expansion at the crown tip. There are at least 480
> teeth in total. The tip of the rostrum widens to a spatula-like,
> laterally concave structure with teeth only along its lateral margins.
> The straight anterior margin is devoid of teeth allowing plankton-rich
> water to stream in, while the teeth interdigitate forming a fine mesh
> trap. A slightly up swept rostrum assisted filtering by probable
> pulsating movements of the long neck, while wading or swimming through
> shallow water.
>
> Open access:
> https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12542-022-00644-4

How does it compare with Pterodaustro?

Re: New filter-feeding pterosaur from Solnhofen

<mppvsht61po8ckikg8joedo8finuu8vkl4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5210&group=sci.bio.paleontology#5210

From: pand...@knoware.nl (Pandora)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 15:12:14 +0100
 by: Pandora - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 14:12 UTC

On Mon, 23 Jan 2023 17:37:22 -0800, John Harshman
<john.harshman@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 1/23/23 12:53 PM, Pandora wrote:
>> A new pterodactyloid pterosaur with a unique filter-feeding apparatus
>> from the Late Jurassic of Germany
>>
>> Abstract
>>
>> A new long-legged, spatula-beaked, filter-feeding pterodactyloid
>> pterosaur from Upper Jurassic plattenkalk limestones at Wattendorf,
>> Bavaria, Southern Germany, is remarkable for its completeness, unusual
>> dentition and hints of the preservation of soft tissues, including
>> wing membranes. The fully articulated specimen displays both jaws each
>> side with over one hundred sub-parallel-sided teeth with a small,
>> slightly hooked expansion at the crown tip. There are at least 480
>> teeth in total. The tip of the rostrum widens to a spatula-like,
>> laterally concave structure with teeth only along its lateral margins.
>> The straight anterior margin is devoid of teeth allowing plankton-rich
>> water to stream in, while the teeth interdigitate forming a fine mesh
>> trap. A slightly up swept rostrum assisted filtering by probable
>> pulsating movements of the long neck, while wading or swimming through
>> shallow water.
>>
>> Open access:
>> https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12542-022-00644-4
>
>How does it compare with Pterodaustro?

Look at fig.24:
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12542-022-00644-4/figures/24

According to the cladogram Balaenognathus is slightly more derived:
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12542-022-00644-4/figures/22

Re: New filter-feeding pterosaur from Solnhofen

<XqKdnQcdN4GxcVL-nZ2dnZfqlJxh4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5211&group=sci.bio.paleontology#5211

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 06:33:16 -0800
From: john.har...@gmail.com (John Harshman)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
 by: John Harshman - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 14:33 UTC

On 1/24/23 6:12 AM, Pandora wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jan 2023 17:37:22 -0800, John Harshman
> <john.harshman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 1/23/23 12:53 PM, Pandora wrote:
>>> A new pterodactyloid pterosaur with a unique filter-feeding apparatus
>>> from the Late Jurassic of Germany
>>>
>>> Abstract
>>>
>>> A new long-legged, spatula-beaked, filter-feeding pterodactyloid
>>> pterosaur from Upper Jurassic plattenkalk limestones at Wattendorf,
>>> Bavaria, Southern Germany, is remarkable for its completeness, unusual
>>> dentition and hints of the preservation of soft tissues, including
>>> wing membranes. The fully articulated specimen displays both jaws each
>>> side with over one hundred sub-parallel-sided teeth with a small,
>>> slightly hooked expansion at the crown tip. There are at least 480
>>> teeth in total. The tip of the rostrum widens to a spatula-like,
>>> laterally concave structure with teeth only along its lateral margins.
>>> The straight anterior margin is devoid of teeth allowing plankton-rich
>>> water to stream in, while the teeth interdigitate forming a fine mesh
>>> trap. A slightly up swept rostrum assisted filtering by probable
>>> pulsating movements of the long neck, while wading or swimming through
>>> shallow water.
>>>
>>> Open access:
>>> https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12542-022-00644-4
>>
>> How does it compare with Pterodaustro?
>
> Look at fig.24:
> https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12542-022-00644-4/figures/24
>
> According to the cladogram Balaenognathus is slightly more derived:
> https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12542-022-00644-4/figures/22

I don't know a lot about pterosaur systematics, but I see that the
relevant clade is Ctenochasmatidae, to which all the apparent
filter-feeders are assigned. One has to wonder whether this is a real
clade or a convergent assemblage, united by ecology, rather like
"Insectivora".

Re: New filter-feeding pterosaur from Solnhofen

<d1c5ee1c-2dd0-4df2-af1d-434d265bbffan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5212&group=sci.bio.paleontology#5212

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 08:53:42 -0800 (PST)
From: eastside...@gmail.com (erik simpson)
 by: erik simpson - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 16:53 UTC

On Tuesday, January 24, 2023 at 6:33:22 AM UTC-8, John Harshman wrote:
> On 1/24/23 6:12 AM, Pandora wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Jan 2023 17:37:22 -0800, John Harshman
> > <john.h...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> How does it compare with Pterodaustro?
> >
> > Look at fig.24:
> > https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12542-022-00644-4/figures/24
> >
> > According to the cladogram Balaenognathus is slightly more derived:
> > https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12542-022-00644-4/figures/22
> I don't know a lot about pterosaur systematics, but I see that the
> relevant clade is Ctenochasmatidae, to which all the apparent
> filter-feeders are assigned. One has to wonder whether this is a real
> clade or a convergent assemblage, united by ecology, rather like
> "Insectivora".

This may not be satisfactorily resolved since there's no genetic data to help, and flight
(like swimming) imposes strong convergent constraints. The whale-hippo connection would
still be a region of controversy without crown species present. Ratios of bone lengths in pterosaurs
must reflect the common requirements of flight. They coexisted with "birds" for a long time. Shame
that none survived the K-Pg event. I was unaware of the filter-feeding adaptations of pterosaurs
(shame on me!).