Is a computer language with goto's totally Wirth-less?

tech / rec.crafts.metalworking / What Do You Know About Annular Cutters?

SubjectAuthor
* What Do You Know About Annular Cutters?Bob La Londe
`* Re: What Do You Know About Annular Cutters?David Billington
 +* Re: What Do You Know About Annular Cutters?Bob La Londe
 |`- Re: What Do You Know About Annular Cutters?David Billington
 `* Re: What Do You Know About Annular Cutters?Jim Wilkins
  `* Re: What Do You Know About Annular Cutters?David Billington
   `- Re: What Do You Know About Annular Cutters?Jim Wilkins

1
What Do You Know About Annular Cutters?

<slc40f$176u$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5253&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5253

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: What Do You Know About Annular Cutters?
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 10:58:38 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 17:58 UTC

* What Do You Know About Annular Cutters?

* Do you have some?

* How do you like them?

* Compared to what?

https://www.avg.com

Re: What Do You Know About Annular Cutters?

<slc4p6$kou$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5254&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5254

From: djb...@invalid.com (David Billington)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: What Do You Know About Annular Cutters?
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 19:11:49 +0100
 by: David Billington - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 18:11 UTC

On 27/10/2021 18:58, Bob La Londe wrote:
> * What Do You Know About Annular Cutters?
>
> * Do you have some?
>
> * How do you like them?
>
> * Compared to what?

I've got 15 of them in sizes from 10mm to 49mm and use them regularly in
the lathe and mill for cutting holes. They produce accurate size holes,
much better than the Starrett hole saws I have, and sometimes the cut
slug is useful. In the BP mill I just hold them in a 3/4" collet, in the
lathe I use a modified MT to MT adapter to take them although I
subsequently found you could buy holders for them to suit various MT
sizes. I think you can tell I like them.

Re: What Do You Know About Annular Cutters?

<slca9l$jao$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5255&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5255

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 12:45:58 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 19:45 UTC

On 10/27/2021 11:11 AM, David Billington wrote:
> On 27/10/2021 18:58, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> * What Do You Know About Annular Cutters?
>>
>> * Do you have some?
>>
>> * How do you like them?
>>
>> * Compared to what?
>>
> I've got 15 of them in sizes from 10mm to 49mm and use them regularly in
> the lathe and mill for cutting holes. They produce accurate size holes,
> much better than the Starrett hole saws I have, and sometimes the cut
> slug is useful. In the BP mill I just hold them in a 3/4" collet, in the
> lathe I use a modified MT to MT adapter to take them although I
> subsequently found you could buy holders for them to suit various MT
> sizes. I think you can tell I like them.

I do more machining (mostly CNC) than fabrication, but recently in a
fabrication project I had to punch 4 1" holes in 1/4 wall tube, and a 1"
hole in a piece of 3/8 flat bar. I smoked a decent Lennox bi-metal hole
saw, and drilled the 5th hole with Silver and Deming bit on the mill.
It got me to thinking about annular cutters, and yes that the slug might
be usable had not escaped me. If nothing else so I could give away bags
of slugs. LOL.

FYI: The S&D bit (with a web diameter pilot) cut its hole as fast or
faster than the hole saw, and it doesn't even look like it needs to be
sharpened. Ok, it is a 5HP mill and I put it in back gear.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm seriously considering adding a set or two
now.

https://www.avg.com

Re: What Do You Know About Annular Cutters?

<slcbb9$7ii$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5256&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5256

From: djb...@invalid.com (David Billington)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 21:03:52 +0100
 by: David Billington - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 20:03 UTC

On 27/10/2021 20:45, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 10/27/2021 11:11 AM, David Billington wrote:
>> On 27/10/2021 18:58, Bob La Londe wrote:
>>> * What Do You Know About Annular Cutters?
>>>
>>> * Do you have some?
>>>
>>> * How do you like them?
>>>
>>> * Compared to what?
>>>
>> I've got 15 of them in sizes from 10mm to 49mm and use them regularly
>> in the lathe and mill for cutting holes. They produce accurate size
>> holes, much better than the Starrett hole saws I have, and sometimes
>> the cut slug is useful. In the BP mill I just hold them in a 3/4"
>> collet, in the lathe I use a modified MT to MT adapter to take them
>> although I subsequently found you could buy holders for them to suit
>> various MT sizes. I think you can tell I like them.
>>

> I do more machining (mostly CNC) than fabrication, but recently in a
> fabrication project I had to punch 4 1" holes in 1/4 wall tube, and a
> 1" hole in a piece of 3/8 flat bar.  I smoked a decent Lennox bi-metal
> hole saw, and drilled the 5th hole with  Silver and Deming bit on the
> mill. It got me to thinking about annular cutters, and yes that the
> slug might be usable had not escaped me.  If nothing else so I could
> give away bags of slugs.  LOL.
>
> FYI:  The S&D bit (with a web diameter pilot) cut its hole as fast or
> faster than the hole saw, and it doesn't even look like it needs to be
> sharpened.  Ok, it is a 5HP mill and I put it in back gear.
>
> Thanks for the feedback.  I'm seriously considering adding a set or
> two now.

I forgot to mention that they come in 2 types. Most if not all the ones
I have will only cut through a single thickness of material, I presume
this is due to the slug having a thin flange the size of the hole which
would spin an any material underneath preventing further cutting. The
other type is obviously ground differently so they can cut through
multiple material layers, I presume producing a cylindrical slug without
the flange.

Re: What Do You Know About Annular Cutters?

<slcjh9$uk7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5257&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5257

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 18:23:14 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 22:23 UTC

"David Billington" wrote in message news:slc4p6$kou$1@dont-email.me...

On 27/10/2021 18:58, Bob La Londe wrote:
> * What Do You Know About Annular Cutters?
>
> * Do you have some?
>
> * How do you like them?
>
> * Compared to what?

I've got 15 of them in sizes from 10mm to 49mm and use them regularly in
the lathe and mill for cutting holes. They produce accurate size holes,
much better than the Starrett hole saws I have, and sometimes the cut
slug is useful. In the BP mill I just hold them in a 3/4" collet, in the
lathe I use a modified MT to MT adapter to take them although I
subsequently found you could buy holders for them to suit various MT
sizes. I think you can tell I like them.

----------------------

I have a small Clausing mill in a crowded basement shop, so I usually cut
and drill structural steel such as the gantry track outdoors. I learned to
locate, drill and tap holes in steel fairly accurately with hand drills when
building large custom machinery. My 16' gantry track assembly has about two
dozen 3/8" (0.370" shank) bolts in 3/8" drilled holes. Most can be started
by hand.

Do you think annular cutters would work hand-held, or in a Portalign drill
guide which isn't all that much steadier?

I save thicker hole saw cutouts to make bushings, spacers, drilling guides
etc on the lathe.

Re: What Do You Know About Annular Cutters?

<slcl97$7vi$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5258&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5258

From: djb...@invalid.com (David Billington)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 23:53:27 +0100
 by: David Billington - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 22:53 UTC

On 27/10/2021 23:23, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "David Billington"  wrote in message news:slc4p6$kou$1@dont-email.me...
>
> On 27/10/2021 18:58, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> * What Do You Know About Annular Cutters?
>>
>> * Do you have some?
>>
>> * How do you like them?
>>
>> * Compared to what?
>>
> I've got 15 of them in sizes from 10mm to 49mm and use them regularly in
> the lathe and mill for cutting holes. They produce accurate size holes,
> much better than the Starrett hole saws I have, and sometimes the cut
> slug is useful. In the BP mill I just hold them in a 3/4" collet, in the
> lathe I use a modified MT to MT adapter to take them although I
> subsequently found you could buy holders for them to suit various MT
> sizes. I think you can tell I like them.
>
> ----------------------
>
> I have a small Clausing mill in a crowded basement shop, so I usually
> cut and drill structural steel such as the gantry track outdoors. I
> learned to locate, drill and tap holes in steel fairly accurately with
> hand drills when building large custom machinery. My 16' gantry track
> assembly has about two dozen 3/8" (0.370" shank) bolts in 3/8" drilled
> holes. Most can be started by hand.
>
> Do you think annular cutters would work hand-held, or in a Portalign
> drill guide which isn't all that much steadier?
>
> I save thicker hole saw cutouts to make bushings, spacers, drilling
> guides etc on the lathe.

I think if I was to try it hand held I would put the annular cutter in a
pre-drilled hole in some plate clamped in place as a support guide, the
Portalign may be OK as is and should hold it square to the plate. Once
the cut is started it seems to be self supported/guided by the hole and
the centre stub soon to become the slug. I did ask a company selling
them if they were OK to use in a mill but got a non committal answer as
I expect it was out of their comfort zone in this age of liability. I've
used them for cutting material square on, at angle, cutting tubing,
notching ends of round bar, even cutting semi-circles out of the edge of
plate. I've had no issues so far but if doing an unbalanced cut I'll
take it easy at first until the cut is established just to be on the
safe side.

Re: What Do You Know About Annular Cutters?

<sle3p4$fti$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5259&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5259

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 08:06:33 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 12:06 UTC

"David Billington" wrote in message news:slcl97$7vi$1@dont-email.me...

I think if I was to try it hand held I would put the annular cutter in a
pre-drilled hole in some plate clamped in place as a support guide, the
Portalign may be OK as is and should hold it square to the plate. Once
the cut is started it seems to be self supported/guided by the hole and
the centre stub soon to become the slug. I did ask a company selling
them if they were OK to use in a mill but got a non committal answer as
I expect it was out of their comfort zone in this age of liability. I've
used them for cutting material square on, at angle, cutting tubing,
notching ends of round bar, even cutting semi-circles out of the edge of
plate. I've had no issues so far but if doing an unbalanced cut I'll
take it easy at first until the cut is established just to be on the
safe side.

---------------------

Thanks, I'll look for one to test. The support guide with the pre-cut hole
could be done on the mill. Mild steel drill guides usually last long enough
for the few holes in my one-off home projects and when worn can be recycled
to a larger pilot drill size. Much of my work is too large for the mill and
has to be match-drilled to a guide or another part. I wouldn't design for
production that way but it's fine for making one unit.

This is a good tool for punching the center of a large hole into a piece
clamped underneath:
https://www.fowlerprecision.com/Products/Punches/Fowler-1-4-11-16-Universal-Transfer-Punch-52-482-002-0.html
The spring-loaded outer sleeve slides forward against the work to hold the
punch square.

I've used hole saws to fish-mouth tubing for practice welding clusters, and
the surface finish was good enough for welding but not much else.