"Thank heaven for startups; without them we'd never have any advances." -- Seymour Cray

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Carbon Fiber bikes and paint

SubjectAuthor
* Carbon Fiber bikes and paintTom Kunich
`* Re: Carbon Fiber bikes and paintLou Holtman
 `* Re: Carbon Fiber bikes and paintAMuzi
  `* Re: Carbon Fiber bikes and paintTed Heise
   +- Re: Carbon Fiber bikes and paintJohn B.
   `* Re: Carbon Fiber bikes and paintAMuzi
    `- Re: Carbon Fiber bikes and paintTed Heise

1
Carbon Fiber bikes and paint

<0ceffbfd-10f7-470e-9a69-2a2d5fbf82a5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52570&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52570

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 09:36:37 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Carbon Fiber bikes and paint
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 17:36 UTC

What is your experience with good paint jobs on Carbon Fiber bikes. Trek was one of the first to begin building CF bikes and their paint held up so well that some of the original frames and forks can look like new,

Colnago on the other hand has paint jobs that are often broken and cracked around where the bike could be expected to flex. I don't know if this is from thicker and more ridged paint or from the Italian-made Colnago bikes tendency to flex a lot more.

The paint on my Taiwanese Colnago is perfect. But bikes like the C40 and the like have a lot of cracking in the paint around the lugs. I was never a fan of lugs on CF bikes but Colnago has used this method on their Italian made series up to today.

Re: Carbon Fiber bikes and paint

<e7d8462a-e3f0-4c4e-8012-636b0f272986n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52577&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52577

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 10:01:54 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Carbon Fiber bikes and paint
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 18:01 UTC

On Wednesday, February 23, 2022 at 6:36:41 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
> What is your experience with good paint jobs on Carbon Fiber bikes. Trek was one of the first to begin building CF bikes and their paint held up so well that some of the original frames and forks can look like new,
>
> Colnago on the other hand has paint jobs that are often broken and cracked around where the bike could be expected to flex. I don't know if this is from thicker and more ridged paint or from the Italian-made Colnago bikes tendency to flex a lot more.
>
> The paint on my Taiwanese Colnago is perfect. But bikes like the C40 and the like have a lot of cracking in the paint around the lugs. I was never a fan of lugs on CF bikes but Colnago has used this method on their Italian made series up to today.

Wow, wow. The track record of the early CF Trek frames were not that good. It varied a lot. Two riding buddies had the paint chipped off their Trek frames. One got a replacement because it was within the 1 year warranty period and the other waited too long and his frame was not replaced because the mechanical integrity was still intact. It was pure cosmetic. There you go. His frame looked awful within a year. I am not into paint jobs. Only clear coat. It is lighter too ;-)

Lou

Re: Carbon Fiber bikes and paint

<sv654g$map$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52593&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52593

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 14:23:43 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 20:23 UTC

On 2/23/2022 12:01 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 23, 2022 at 6:36:41 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
>> What is your experience with good paint jobs on Carbon Fiber bikes. Trek was one of the first to begin building CF bikes and their paint held up so well that some of the original frames and forks can look like new,
>>
>> Colnago on the other hand has paint jobs that are often broken and cracked around where the bike could be expected to flex. I don't know if this is from thicker and more ridged paint or from the Italian-made Colnago bikes tendency to flex a lot more.
>>
>> The paint on my Taiwanese Colnago is perfect. But bikes like the C40 and the like have a lot of cracking in the paint around the lugs. I was never a fan of lugs on CF bikes but Colnago has used this method on their Italian made series up to today.
>
> Wow, wow. The track record of the early CF Trek frames were not that good. It varied a lot. Two riding buddies had the paint chipped off their Trek frames. One got a replacement because it was within the 1 year warranty period and the other waited too long and his frame was not replaced because the mechanical integrity was still intact. It was pure cosmetic. There you go. His frame looked awful within a year. I am not into paint jobs. Only clear coat. It is lighter too ;-)
>

> Lou

+1
Except for the Trek 5000, secod series early models were
aluminum joints glued to carbon tubes and those had a
problem with galvanic corrosion.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Re: Carbon Fiber bikes and paint

<slrnt1dcf5.f7s.theise@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52624&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52624

From: the...@panix.com (Ted Heise)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 22:14:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ted Heise - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 22:14 UTC

On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 14:23:43 -0600,
AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
> On 2/23/2022 12:01 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
> > On Wednesday, February 23, 2022 at 6:36:41 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
> >> What is your experience with good paint jobs on Carbon Fiber
> >> bikes. Trek was one of the first to begin building CF bikes
> >> and their paint held up so well that some of the original
> >> frames and forks can look like new,
> >>
> >> Colnago on the other hand has paint jobs that are often
> >> broken and cracked around where the bike could be expected to
> >> flex. I don't know if this is from thicker and more ridged
> >> paint or from the Italian-made Colnago bikes tendency to flex
> >> a lot more.
> >>
> >> The paint on my Taiwanese Colnago is perfect. But bikes like
> >> the C40 and the like have a lot of cracking in the paint
> >> around the lugs. I was never a fan of lugs on CF bikes but
> >> Colnago has used this method on their Italian made series up
> >> to today.
> >
> > Wow, wow. The track record of the early CF Trek frames were
> > not that good. It varied a lot. Two riding buddies had the
> > paint chipped off their Trek frames. One got a replacement
> > because it was within the 1 year warranty period and the other
> > waited too long and his frame was not replaced because the
> > mechanical integrity was still intact. It was pure cosmetic.
> > There you go. His frame looked awful within a year. I am not
> > into paint jobs. Only clear coat. It is lighter too ;-)

> +1
> Except for the Trek 5000, secod series early models were
> aluminum joints glued to carbon tubes and those had a problem
> with galvanic corrosion.

Huh, I would not have expected carbon to be part of a galvanic
couple, is there something else in the material (or the way it's
constructed) that makes it electrically active?

--
Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA

Re: Carbon Fiber bikes and paint

<ipnd1hhn5hsg3sgkdkdg197f2ripr7or8h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52651&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52651

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 08:33:32 +0700
 by: John B. - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 01:33 UTC

On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 22:14:59 -0000 (UTC), Ted Heise <theise@panix.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 14:23:43 -0600,
> AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>> > Wow, wow. The track record of the early CF Trek frames were
>> > not that good. It varied a lot. Two riding buddies had the
>> > paint chipped off their Trek frames. One got a replacement
>> > because it was within the 1 year warranty period and the other
>> > waited too long and his frame was not replaced because the
>> > mechanical integrity was still intact. It was pure cosmetic.
>> > There you go. His frame looked awful within a year. I am not
>> > into paint jobs. Only clear coat. It is lighter too ;-)
>
>> +1
>> Except for the Trek 5000, secod series early models were
>> aluminum joints glued to carbon tubes and those had a problem
>> with galvanic corrosion.
>
>Huh, I would not have expected carbon to be part of a galvanic
>couple, is there something else in the material (or the way it's
>constructed) that makes it electrically active?

Carbon fiber does conduct electricity however the Epoxy used to bond
the fibers is, I believe, an insulator, so a carbon fiber frame may be
a conductor.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Carbon Fiber bikes and paint

<sv6nh6$3fi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52652&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52652

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 19:37:41 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 01:37 UTC

On 2/23/2022 4:14 PM, Ted Heise wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 14:23:43 -0600,
> AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>>> Wow, wow. The track record of the early CF Trek frames were
>>> not that good. It varied a lot. Two riding buddies had the
>>> paint chipped off their Trek frames. One got a replacement
>>> because it was within the 1 year warranty period and the other
>>> waited too long and his frame was not replaced because the
>>> mechanical integrity was still intact. It was pure cosmetic.
>>> There you go. His frame looked awful within a year. I am not
>>> into paint jobs. Only clear coat. It is lighter too ;-)
>
>> +1
>> Except for the Trek 5000, secod series early models were
>> aluminum joints glued to carbon tubes and those had a problem
>> with galvanic corrosion.
>
> Huh, I would not have expected carbon to be part of a galvanic
> couple, is there something else in the material (or the way it's
> constructed) that makes it electrically active?

https://digitalcommons.du.edu/etd/1120/

https://2rs96t43w34o3j74jt28p2ie-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Corrosion-tests-NYSHIELD.png

example:
https://a4.pbase.com/o9/43/361043/1/158998937.DsPvq6ws.Geo_bale_guide_front_painted.JPG

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Carbon Fiber bikes and paint

<slrnt1f19l.nha.theise@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52672&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52672

From: the...@panix.com (Ted Heise)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 13:16:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ted Heise - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 13:16 UTC

On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 19:37:41 -0600,
AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
> On 2/23/2022 4:14 PM, Ted Heise wrote:
> > On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 14:23:43 -0600,
> > AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

> >> Except for the Trek 5000, secod series early models were
> >> aluminum joints glued to carbon tubes and those had a
> >> problem with galvanic corrosion.
> >
> > Huh, I would not have expected carbon to be part of a galvanic
> > couple, is there something else in the material (or the way
> > it's constructed) that makes it electrically active?
>
> https://digitalcommons.du.edu/etd/1120/
>
> https://2rs96t43w34o3j74jt28p2ie-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Corrosion-tests-NYSHIELD.png
>
> example:
> https://a4.pbase.com/o9/43/361043/1/158998937.DsPvq6ws.Geo_bale_guide_front_painted.JPG