There is no royal road to geometry. -- Euclid

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Building a new bike

SubjectAuthor
* Building a new bikeTom Kunich
`* Re: Building a new bikeTCL
 `* Re: Building a new bikeTom Kunich
  `* Re: Building a new bikeLou Holtman
   +* Re: Building a new bikeSir Ridesalot
   |`- Re: Building a new bikefunkma...@hotmail.com
   +- Re: Building a new bikefunkma...@hotmail.com
   `- Re: Building a new bikeTom Kunich

1
Building a new bike

<4b5d2f4a-ff5d-4f7f-8909-414756e2d707n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52717&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52717

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 09:28:03 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Building a new bike
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 17:28 UTC

Since the Lemond titanium turned out to be a total failure I happened to notice that there was a Colnago C50 in my size. All of the problems of the C40 were corrected in the C50 and so since it was CHEAPER than the Lemond I bought it.

I have all of the components to assemble it with Centaur 11 speed. Also I will try running an 11 speed Shimano cassette on it to see if that actually works. According to my calculations the 11 cog difference in width was only 0.020" which is less than the play in the chain or the hinges of the rear derailleur. So this should work.

Also, all of the light parts such as wheels and cassettes are available only for Shimano.

I did buy a like new DT Swiss wheelset that turned out to be really an Axis hub. That company apparently no longer is in business so I couldn't convert it to either a Campy 11 speed or a Shimano 11 speed which requires a wider freehug and longer axle.

Interestingly enough that Axis freehub makes absolutely no noise freewheeling which makes me wonder what sort of mechanism is in there. Even the DT Swiss makes SOME noise. Also there is no "take up" and if you start turning it forward it immediately is engaged.

Too bad that I couldn't upgrade it. But I can figure out some use for it. Perhaps I'll decide I need better shifting on the Colnago and upgrade to Shimano Dura Ace 10 speed. I still have some of the good parts around and all I would need would be 7900 shifters. Spring is coming on and I could use normal gearing after a couple of months of riding.

Re: Building a new bike

<7bbae333-642c-46d3-ae61-56d91af6b617n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52718&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52718

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 10:19:43 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Building a new bike
From: tlaniga...@gmail.com (TCL)
 by: TCL - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 18:19 UTC

On Friday, February 25, 2022 at 11:28:06 AM UTC-6, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Since the Lemond titanium turned out to be a total failure I happened to notice that there was a Colnago C50 in my size. All of the problems of the C40 were corrected in the C50 and so since it was CHEAPER than the Lemond I bought it.
>
> I have all of the components to assemble it with Centaur 11 speed. Also I will try running an 11 speed Shimano cassette on it to see if that actually works. According to my calculations the 11 cog difference in width was only 0.020" which is less than the play in the chain or the hinges of the rear derailleur. So this should work.
>
> Also, all of the light parts such as wheels and cassettes are available only for Shimano.
>
> I did buy a like new DT Swiss wheelset that turned out to be really an Axis hub. That company apparently no longer is in business so I couldn't convert it to either a Campy 11 speed or a Shimano 11 speed which requires a wider freehug and longer axle.
>
> Interestingly enough that Axis freehub makes absolutely no noise freewheeling which makes me wonder what sort of mechanism is in there. Even the DT Swiss makes SOME noise. Also there is no "take up" and if you start turning it forward it immediately is engaged.
>
> Too bad that I couldn't upgrade it. But I can figure out some use for it. Perhaps I'll decide I need better shifting on the Colnago and upgrade to Shimano Dura Ace 10 speed. I still have some of the good parts around and all I would need would be 7900 shifters. Spring is coming on and I could use normal gearing after a couple of months of riding.
I have been running an 11 speed Shimano hub & cogs with 11 speed Chours shifters for around 5 months now. I've had no issues, it shifts extremely well.

Re: Building a new bike

<20522871-2b33-43ab-8a65-bdb50cf2d850n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52721&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52721

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 10:42:49 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 18:42 UTC

On Friday, February 25, 2022 at 10:19:46 AM UTC-8, TCL wrote:
> On Friday, February 25, 2022 at 11:28:06 AM UTC-6, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Since the Lemond titanium turned out to be a total failure I happened to notice that there was a Colnago C50 in my size. All of the problems of the C40 were corrected in the C50 and so since it was CHEAPER than the Lemond I bought it.
> >
> > I have all of the components to assemble it with Centaur 11 speed. Also I will try running an 11 speed Shimano cassette on it to see if that actually works. According to my calculations the 11 cog difference in width was only 0.020" which is less than the play in the chain or the hinges of the rear derailleur. So this should work.
> >
> > Also, all of the light parts such as wheels and cassettes are available only for Shimano.
> >
> > I did buy a like new DT Swiss wheelset that turned out to be really an Axis hub. That company apparently no longer is in business so I couldn't convert it to either a Campy 11 speed or a Shimano 11 speed which requires a wider freehug and longer axle.
> >
> > Interestingly enough that Axis freehub makes absolutely no noise freewheeling which makes me wonder what sort of mechanism is in there. Even the DT Swiss makes SOME noise. Also there is no "take up" and if you start turning it forward it immediately is engaged.
> >
> > Too bad that I couldn't upgrade it. But I can figure out some use for it. Perhaps I'll decide I need better shifting on the Colnago and upgrade to Shimano Dura Ace 10 speed. I still have some of the good parts around and all I would need would be 7900 shifters. Spring is coming on and I could use normal gearing after a couple of months of riding.
> I have been running an 11 speed Shimano hub & cogs with 11 speed Chours shifters for around 5 months now. I've had no issues, it shifts extremely well.

Thanks for that information. Comments around here seem to have been based not on experience but on guesswork mostly based on 11 speed measurements. Someone that has actual experience is rare.

Re: Building a new bike

<0638dee1-c271-4d30-832d-af68757eb39bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52723&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52723

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 10:53:35 -0800 (PST)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 18:53 UTC

On Friday, February 25, 2022 at 7:42:51 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Friday, February 25, 2022 at 10:19:46 AM UTC-8, TCL wrote:
> > On Friday, February 25, 2022 at 11:28:06 AM UTC-6, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > Since the Lemond titanium turned out to be a total failure I happened to notice that there was a Colnago C50 in my size. All of the problems of the C40 were corrected in the C50 and so since it was CHEAPER than the Lemond I bought it.
> > >
> > > I have all of the components to assemble it with Centaur 11 speed. Also I will try running an 11 speed Shimano cassette on it to see if that actually works. According to my calculations the 11 cog difference in width was only 0.020" which is less than the play in the chain or the hinges of the rear derailleur. So this should work.
> > >
> > > Also, all of the light parts such as wheels and cassettes are available only for Shimano.
> > >
> > > I did buy a like new DT Swiss wheelset that turned out to be really an Axis hub. That company apparently no longer is in business so I couldn't convert it to either a Campy 11 speed or a Shimano 11 speed which requires a wider freehug and longer axle.
> > >
> > > Interestingly enough that Axis freehub makes absolutely no noise freewheeling which makes me wonder what sort of mechanism is in there. Even the DT Swiss makes SOME noise. Also there is no "take up" and if you start turning it forward it immediately is engaged.
> > >
> > > Too bad that I couldn't upgrade it. But I can figure out some use for it. Perhaps I'll decide I need better shifting on the Colnago and upgrade to Shimano Dura Ace 10 speed. I still have some of the good parts around and all I would need would be 7900 shifters. Spring is coming on and I could use normal gearing after a couple of months of riding.
> > I have been running an 11 speed Shimano hub & cogs with 11 speed Chours shifters for around 5 months now. I've had no issues, it shifts extremely well.
> Thanks for that information. Comments around here seem to have been based not on experience but on guesswork mostly based on 11 speed measurements. Someone that has actual experience is rare.

In an other thread you had a question about the inter cog spacing of Shimano and Campagnolo 11 sp cassettes. I went to the trouble of measuring it for you. Any other person would be grateful….

Lou

Re: Building a new bike

<f63afab1-0ae8-4d0e-82fc-12e2a99e8fcdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52726&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52726

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 12:33:43 -0800 (PST)
From: i_am_cyc...@yahoo.ca (Sir Ridesalot)
 by: Sir Ridesalot - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 20:33 UTC

On Friday, February 25, 2022 at 1:53:37 p.m. UTC-5, lou.h...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, February 25, 2022 at 7:42:51 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:

> > > I have been running an 11 speed Shimano hub & cogs with 11 speed Chours shifters for around 5 months now. I've had no issues, it shifts extremely well.
> > Thanks for that information. Comments around here seem to have been based not on experience but on guesswork mostly based on 11 speed measurements.. Someone that has actual experience is rare.
> In an other thread you had a question about the inter cog spacing of Shimano and Campagnolo 11 sp cassettes. I went to the trouble of measuring it for you. Any other person would be grateful….
>
> Lou

Now you know why most people here either have him Killfiled or simply ignore everything he posts.

Cheers

Re: Building a new bike

<ca5bb97e-5389-4077-bede-e52176477269n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52727&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52727

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 13:00:06 -0800 (PST)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 21:00 UTC

On Friday, February 25, 2022 at 1:53:37 PM UTC-5, lou.h...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, February 25, 2022 at 7:42:51 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:

> > > I have been running an 11 speed Shimano hub & cogs with 11 speed Chours shifters for around 5 months now. I've had no issues, it shifts extremely well.
> > Thanks for that information. Comments around here seem to have been based not on experience but on guesswork mostly based on 11 speed measurements.. Someone that has actual experience is rare.
> In an other thread you had a question about the inter cog spacing of Shimano and Campagnolo 11 sp cassettes. I went to the trouble of measuring it for you. Any other person would be grateful….
>
> Lou
Pro tip - If you want tommy to thank you, you'll need to post some qanon bullshit at the end of any post cycling related

Re: Building a new bike

<f2a62b04-fa67-4f30-afcd-516925e95465n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52728&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52728

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 13:00:21 -0800 (PST)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)

On Friday, February 25, 2022 at 3:33:46 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
> On Friday, February 25, 2022 at 1:53:37 p.m. UTC-5, lou.h...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > Thanks for that information. Comments around here seem to have been based not on experience but on guesswork mostly based on 11 speed measurements. Someone that has actual experience is rare.
> > In an other thread you had a question about the inter cog spacing of Shimano and Campagnolo 11 sp cassettes. I went to the trouble of measuring it for you. Any other person would be grateful….
> >
> > Lou
> Now you know why most people here either have him Killfiled or simply ignore everything he posts.

+1

Re: Building a new bike

<49d64fcd-70f6-4d05-9535-83241030ad8bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52732&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52732

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 13:38:20 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 21:38 UTC

On Friday, February 25, 2022 at 10:53:37 AM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:
> On Friday, February 25, 2022 at 7:42:51 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:

> > > I have been running an 11 speed Shimano hub & cogs with 11 speed Chours shifters for around 5 months now. I've had no issues, it shifts extremely well.
> > Thanks for that information. Comments around here seem to have been based not on experience but on guesswork mostly based on 11 speed measurements.. Someone that has actual experience is rare.
> In an other thread you had a question about the inter cog spacing of Shimano and Campagnolo 11 sp cassettes. I went to the trouble of measuring it for you. Any other person would be grateful….

Lou, I believe that I thanked you at the time while the haters were busy saying that those 11 speed spacings were so large that Shimano 11 would not work with Campagnolo.