From: MrPostin...@kymhorsell.com
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Subject: how to predict mars quakes
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2022 09:34:39 +1100
 by: MrPostin...@kymhorsell.com - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 22:34 UTC

(I usually put an executive summary on these things.
But this is a shaggy dog story so we can't do that today.
This is not a late April fools joke. All of the data and stats is 100% real.
I've left a tarball with the basic numbers at <kymhorsell.com/DATA/marsquake.tgz>
if anyone wants to run them through their own spreadsheets or whatever).

The SEIS instrument package of the Insight mission has been measuring
the "pulse" of Mars for the past 6m.

The public release of the dataset show more than 2000 "events" some of
which (~200) are full-on Mars quakes, with the others mostly
unclassifiable thuds and squeaks made by the planet or wider
environment in one way or another.

The data I've looked at so far runs day by day from Aug through Sept of 2021.

And the second thing any data scientists would like to find out is --
what other daily data series highly correlate with Mars quakes so they
might be in some one predicted and/or understood.

My first run has not bothered to extract the (many!) features of each
individual event. So all the bumps and squeaks are lumped together
into daily totals with quakes and misc crustal movements.

For your enjoyment, should you wish to run your own analyses, the data
looks like this:

Date Number of events
2021.585 13
2021.587 42
2021.590 58
2021.593 50
2021.596 29
2021.598 33
2021.601 34
2021.604 25
2021.607 25
2021.609 30
2021.612 20
2021.615 24
2021.617 21
2021.620 29
2021.623 37
2021.626 28
2021.628 13
2021.631 29
2021.634 29
2021.637 36
2021.639 48
2021.642 45
2021.645 53
2021.648 17
2021.650 32
2021.653 39
2021.656 17
2021.658 25
2021.661 26
2021.664 45
2021.667 20
2021.669 33
2021.672 22
2021.675 55
2021.678 57
2021.680 42
2021.683 33
2021.686 42
2021.689 60
2021.691 37
2021.694 33
2021.697 85
2021.699 10
2021.702 10
2021.705 33
2021.708 26
2021.710 79
2021.713 40
2021.716 17
2021.719 10
2021.721 40
2021.724 25
2021.727 46
2021.730 17
2021.732 57
2021.735 29
2021.738 50
2021.740 25
2021.743 42

The "date" is my software's idiosyncratic way of rendering dates.
The fraction part is the Julian day less 1, divided by 366 and rounded
to 3 places. (Unf I've found different s/w packages do their
printing-rounding in slightly different ways meaning they are slightly
incompatible with the C version of the above algorithm; be warned that
lining up the above data with other daily data that superficially
looks similar might not exactly match up each day with those other datasets).

I use some AI-boosted states algorithms that try to ensure even a very
very large collection of statistical procedures will produce robust
answers. You need this kind of thing when you're doing what used to be
called "statistical exploration" (as opposed to "hypothesis testing").
When you churning through 1000s of datasets looking for matches you
can find some that are entirely spurious simply due to probability.
Remember the old bar trick of selecting 4 "pat" hands from just 21
random cards. Seems difficult. But there are just so many different
ways to select the 4 hands probability favors the task being easy.

So the S/W does a simple timeseries (ARMA11) regression against a
"target" dataset (in this case the above mars quake series) and 10s of
1000s of other daily datasets it has on hand. It finds the closest
matches using robust statistics and a little bit of reasoning based on
the metadata for each dataset to decide which matches are
statistically robust (generally to "4 9s" -- 99.99% likely aka .01%
unlikely) and also "make sense" based on what is being compared.

With Mars quakes the S/W knows about Mars, that it is a planet, and
that things relate logically to similar things so the best things to
look at with 1000s of choices are daily timeseries of planetary
motions. It further deduces "space weather" and other dataseries
related to the Sun might be appropriate things to check.

And this is what its first pass through the 5 TB of data it has on
hand turns up:

Suspect Lag Trans R2 Beta (90% CI +/-)
(d)
electron 16 -x -y 0.15241521 0.80137 0.505885
venus-RA 20 -y 0.13320002 -0.000936876 0.000639781
mercury-RA 5 -y 0.12643742 -0.000925927 0.00065767
mercury-v 16 -x -y 0.12541261 0.193645 0.139516
SN 1 -y 0.09657677 0.00405686 0.00332155
saturn-FV 16 -x -y 0.08995776 0.133218 0.113427
mercury-elong 16 -x -y 0.08980298 0.169894 0.144792
saturn-mag 16 -x -y 0.08434787 0.258611 0.228095
mercury-FV 16 -x -y 0.08122965 0.170773 0.153747
mercury-r 20 -x -y 0.06947440 0.656052 0.648802
uranus-phase 8 -x -y 0.04872648 897.788 1061.9
mercury-diam 8 -x -y 0.04815920 0.650431 0.77408
geomag 2 -y 0.03965379 0.28968 0.385224

The list includes most of the thing we might (in general) think are
related to causing "thuds" on Mars. The S/W has allowed some leeway
for the regression results with the "suspect" dataseries allowed to
slip up to 30 days so it finds the best match (largest R2) allowing
the delay between the "suspect" changing values to the time the
"target" (i.e. the Mars quake data, at the top) changes values.

The "trans" column shows which data transformations found the best R2.
"-x" means logs were taken for the suspect. "-y" means logs were taken
for the target.

The "R2" column gives the "explanation power" of the found timeseries
model. The suspect, with the given transformations and lag is said to
"explain" the relevant proportion of the target data. So, for example,
the first model above marked "electron" (a type of space weather
monitored above Earth) shows the electron events explain about 15% of
the day-to-day changes in Mars quakes. This is just the strength of he
match. The statistical procedures ensure there is only a very very
tiny chance -- from 1 in 1000 to 1 in 10000 -- the number of times a
change in the suspect data corresponds consistently with a change in
the target data might be just due to luck, even given the huge number
of datasets we trolled through to find it.

The Beta column shows how the transformed suspect predicts the daily
value of the number of Mars events. Unfortunately, interpreting this
depends on the transformations that were applied. For the models
marked "-x -y" it means Mars quakes rise or fall as a power law of the
respective suspect series. For the "-y" (only) models you can
interpret small Beta values as a percentage change (because exp(x) ~=
1+x for small x). E.g. the SN model says for each change (+/-) in 1
unit of the suspect the Mars quake data changes about (+/-) 0.4%. The
"SN" data is the daily sunspot number take from the Royal Belgian
Observatory series.

With these considerations in hand we can look at WHAT the S/W found
and why. For "electron events", which are just the daily number of
published Alerts for that kind of space weather without examining how
strong the event is predicted to be, the model finds more alerts in 16
days time predict more Mars seismic events. The link seems to be the
best found -- explaining 15% of seismic events. Electron events are
significant steams of electrons coming from the Sun -- a kind of solar
storm. They can interfere with satellites but generally don't do much
at the surface of the Earth. It "stands to reason" (according to the
AI) that events at the Earth that are caused by the Sun might also
affect things at Mars. So it is "logical" that particular type of
solar weather might be the "cause" of some of the seismic events seen
on Mars in late 2021 by SEIS.

Solar activity is the cause of electron weather. So it also "makes
sense" that Sunspot Numbers that predict overall solar activity, also
predict Mars seismic events and are a possible "cause". The S/W finds
changes in SN after 1 day are likely to predict changes in Mars
seismic events 1 day later. This makes sense. While electron events
might take 16 days to get from the Earth's orbit to Mars, other kings
of things including raw heat resulting from increased solar activity
might take only 1 day to get there and kick off some kind of surface
creaking or even the odd rock tumble and be detected by the SEIS
instrument.

The last item on our list, above, is another kind of space weather --
geomagnetic storms expected over Earth. Again, a possible source of
disruption to power grids and satellites here. But the S/W says it's
also one of the "logical" things that might cause seismic events on
Mars and is found to "explain" about 4% of them using the relevant
robust statistical model. Unlike slow old electrons, EM events take
only 2 days between Earth orbit and Mars orbit. But that makes some
kind of sense. Not quite as fast a reaction as changes on Sunspot
Number, but faster than electrons. All the effects take a
characteristic time to build up at Mars as well as travel the distance
between Earth orbit (where they are generally measured) and Mars.

Click here to read the complete article
update to mars quake database

<5215bb3b-8c59-4bbe-b53f-a8f737efe4e7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5276&group=alt.astronomy#5276

Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 08:09:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: update to mars quake database
From: kymhors...@gmail.com (Kym Horsell)
 by: Kym Horsell - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 15:09 UTC

http://ds.iris.edu/files/insight/v14/events_extended_multiorigin_v14_2023-01-01.xml

I noticed the database on mars quakes has been updated to the end of 2022.

The plot now shows some ups and downs and I had a moment to spare so I
asked an AI s/w to come up with a predictive model (i.e. where it saves 1/2 the data aside; finds the model using the other 1/2, then tests to see whether the saved part of the data works as well as the training part)
to explain/predict when the tremors would happen.

We all might expect it would have mostly something to do with the distance
between Mars and Jupiter, but I didn't tell the s/w that. I gave it a
list of data from the Horizons database and just wanted to see what it
could come up with.

And it did a reasonable job and also highlighted how AI's don't think
along conventional lines. :)
The program (experimentally) figured out there were 3 data it could combine to predict
the quakes:

phimars the phase of Mars --
the angle between Earth and Sun as
seen from Mars.
S-brtjupiter Surface brightness of Jupiter as
seen from the Earth. This is the
magnitude of a sq arcsec of Jup. Arcane!
deltamars The distance between Mars and Earth.

The plot of how it's model worked compared with the twitchy curve of
the actual quakes is here:

<kym.massbus.org/MARSQUAKES/marsquaremodel.gif>

Not a bad job. If you think about it for a second you'll see what it
did was essentially measure the dist between Mars and Jup using the
Earth as an intermediate point.

--
"Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood.
Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less."

A vast array of our most sophisticated sensors, including space-based
platforms, have been utilized by different agencies, typically in
triplicate, to observe and accurately identify the out-of-this-world
nature, performance, and design of these anomalous machines, which are
then determined not to be of earthly origin.
-- Jonathan Grey, NASIC intel officer, Wright Patterson AFB, 06 Jun 2023

We are not afraid to entrust the American people with unpleasant facts,
foreign ideas, alien philosophies, and competitive values. For a nation that
is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market
is a nation that is afraid of its people.
-- JFK

Re: how to predict mars quakes

<d06f2cf1-3175-4793-a5d1-eeef56178a3en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5277&group=alt.astronomy#5277

Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 22:34:35 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: how to predict mars quakes
From: csok...@gmail.com (StarDust)
 by: StarDust - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 05:34 UTC

<5429ba42-3bea-4fe0-acd9-d417b255e6c4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5278&group=alt.astronomy#5278

Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 04:59:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: kymhors...@gmail.com (Kym Horsell)
 by: Kym Horsell - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 11:59 UTC

>We can't even predict it on earth, you >want to predict it on Mars?
>Crazy!

Classical science cant deal with anything complicated. It prefers to think things dont exist rather than handle a formula with more than 3 symbols in it. :)

Just demonstrated is an AI-derrived model that predicts 1/3 of Mars quakes robustly. No sweat for an AI.

No wonder they want to put the brakes on the development of better s/w -- the current AI's can write essays and solve science problems humans think "impossible".

Soon they will solve problems no human can conceive of. And the white collar class will be out of a job.

The interesting phase comes when the programs have to convince anyone they know what they are doing. Already my programs come up with things I can't follow or be sure they really are on the same page as I want them to be. They see things I cant. They try to explain them to me in baby language that is not convincing. I know they know something because they always beat me in go without trying.

It's like dealing with naughty savant children with autism. We are quickly going to interesting places.

--
Physics:
A science so advanced that every few years it discovers it had been

Re: how to predict mars quakes

<f727103b-48ef-4bf5-a7d5-2c7f85a9623dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5279&group=alt.astronomy#5279

Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 19:56:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: csok...@gmail.com (StarDust)
 by: StarDust - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 02:56 UTC

On Tuesday, June 20, 2023 at 4:59:05 AM UTC-7, Kym Horsell wrote:
> >We can't even predict it on earth, you >want to predict it on Mars?
> >Crazy!
> Classical science cant deal with anything complicated. It prefers to think things dont exist rather than handle a formula with more than 3 symbols in it. :)
>
> Just demonstrated is an AI-derrived model that predicts 1/3 of Mars quakes robustly. No sweat for an AI.
>
> No wonder they want to put the brakes on the development of better s/w -- the current AI's can write essays and solve science problems humans think "impossible".
>
> Soon they will solve problems no human can conceive of. And the white collar class will be out of a job.
>
> The interesting phase comes when the programs have to convince anyone they know what they are doing. Already my programs come up with things I can't follow or be sure they really are on the same page as I want them to be. They see things I cant. They try to explain them to me in baby language that is not convincing. I know they know something because they always beat me in go without trying.
>
> It's like dealing with naughty savant children with autism. We are quickly going to interesting places.
>
> --
> Physics:
> A science so advanced that every few years it discovers it had been
> totally unaware of at least 90% of the universe up until that point.

Welcome to the world of Matrix!
😪😯