"A mind is a terrible thing to have leaking out your ears." -- The League of Sadistic Telepaths

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Tire Pressure

SubjectAuthor
* Tire PressureJohn B.
+* Re: Tire PressureLou Holtman
|+- Re: Tire PressureJohn B.
|`- Re: Tire PressureAndre Jute
+* Re: Tire PressureAMuzi
|`- Re: Tire PressureJohn B.
+* Re: Tire Pressuresms
|`* Re: Tire PressureJohn B.
| `* Re: Tire PressureAMuzi
|  `* Re: Tire PressureJohn B.
|   `* Re: Tire PressureAMuzi
|    `* Re: Tire PressureJohn B.
|     `* Re: Tire Pressurerussellseaton1@yahoo.com
|      `* Re: Tire PressureJohn B.
|       +- Re: Tire PressureFrank Krygowski
|       `- Re: Tire Pressurebob prohaska
+* Re: Tire Pressurerussellseaton1@yahoo.com
|`* Re: Tire PressureJohn B.
| `- Re: Tire Pressurerussellseaton1@yahoo.com
+- Re: Tire PressureTosspot
+- Re: Tire PressureRoger Merriman
`- Re: Tire PressureTim Dick

1
Tire Pressure

<k8jl1hltl55359aqvkar3otn00h7o745rj@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52777&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52777

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Tire Pressure
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 08:10:36 +0700
 by: John B. - Sun, 27 Feb 2022 01:10 UTC

A friend in the Philippines is complaining about how he is going
through tires on his new Mountain Bike and I want to advise him to be
careful to use the correct tire pressure.

Do Mountain Bike tires normally have the suggested, or maximum,
pressure indicated on the sidewalls like a road bike tire?
If so I can just advise him to use that pressure.

The guy lives on a yacht (there's that word again :-) and about all he
knows about bicycles is how to ride them and they are his main means
of transportation, on shore, so I don't want to get all involved in
complex discussions about "well if it is down hill and you don't have
the weeks groceries, etc.". I just want to tell him a number.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Tire Pressure

<010b8cdb-5330-495b-b734-f29f95b9a0acn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52778&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52778

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 22:49:48 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Tire Pressure
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Sun, 27 Feb 2022 06:49 UTC

On Sunday, February 27, 2022 at 2:10:46 AM UTC+1, John B. wrote:
> A friend in the Philippines is complaining about how he is going
> through tires on his new Mountain Bike and I want to advise him to be
> careful to use the correct tire pressure.
>
> Do Mountain Bike tires normally have the suggested, or maximum,
> pressure indicated on the sidewalls like a road bike tire?
> If so I can just advise him to use that pressure.
>
> The guy lives on a yacht (there's that word again :-) and about all he
> knows about bicycles is how to ride them and they are his main means
> of transportation, on shore, so I don't want to get all involved in
> complex discussions about "well if it is down hill and you don't have
> the weeks groceries, etc.". I just want to tell him a number.
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> John B.

Almost always the pressure indicted on the tires is the maximum value and way too high for normal use. The optimal tire pressure depends on the width. A good starting point for a 2-2.5" wide tire is 2 bar.

Lou

Re: Tire Pressure

<ctim1htnmj2mtq5cvsqltt12o7nq6qp64t@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52783&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52783

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 17:28:05 +0700
 by: John B. - Sun, 27 Feb 2022 10:28 UTC

On Sat, 26 Feb 2022 22:49:48 -0800 (PST), Lou Holtman
<lou.holtman@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, February 27, 2022 at 2:10:46 AM UTC+1, John B. wrote:
>> A friend in the Philippines is complaining about how he is going
>> through tires on his new Mountain Bike and I want to advise him to be
>> careful to use the correct tire pressure.
>>
>> Do Mountain Bike tires normally have the suggested, or maximum,
>> pressure indicated on the sidewalls like a road bike tire?
>> If so I can just advise him to use that pressure.
>>
>> The guy lives on a yacht (there's that word again :-) and about all he
>> knows about bicycles is how to ride them and they are his main means
>> of transportation, on shore, so I don't want to get all involved in
>> complex discussions about "well if it is down hill and you don't have
>> the weeks groceries, etc.". I just want to tell him a number.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>>
>> John B.
>
>Almost always the pressure indicted on the tires is the maximum value
and way too high for normal use. The optimal tire pressure depends on
the width. A good starting point for a 2-2.5" wide tire is 2 bar.

>Lou

Yes, I know about tire pressure but the guy in the Philippines doesn't
and he probably doesn't want to get involved with a great deal of
details. So, I was trying to come up with a number and just say,
inflate the tires to XYZ psi and you won't have as many problems.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Tire Pressure

<svgatg$mah$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52790&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52790

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 11:03:48 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Sun, 27 Feb 2022 17:03 UTC

On 2/26/2022 7:10 PM, John B. wrote:

> A friend in the Philippines is complaining about how he is going
> through tires on his new Mountain Bike and I want to advise him to be
> careful to use the correct tire pressure.
>
> Do Mountain Bike tires normally have the suggested, or maximum,
> pressure indicated on the sidewalls like a road bike tire?
> If so I can just advise him to use that pressure.
>
> The guy lives on a yacht (there's that word again :-) and about all he
> knows about bicycles is how to ride them and they are his main means
> of transportation, on shore, so I don't want to get all involved in
> complex discussions about "well if it is down hill and you don't have
> the weeks groceries, etc.". I just want to tell him a number.

For 26x1.9 standard MTB tires max rating (use on pavement)
is usually 60psi.

For 26x1.5 there are high pressure 100psi models (lighter &
faster) at moderate prices.

Yes, that's molded into the sidewall, often with both min &
max numbers.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Re: Tire Pressure

<svgdn9$ffr$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52794&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52794

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 09:51:37 -0800
 by: sms - Sun, 27 Feb 2022 17:51 UTC

On 2/26/2022 5:10 PM, John B. wrote:

> I just want to tell him a number.

50 psi or 3.5 bar

Since he's probably riding his mountain bike on roads there's no benefit
in under-inflating, and he'll get more punctures with underinflated tires.

He probably has junky tires that came with the bike. Advice him to buy
some tires with better puncture protection, i.e. Marathon Plus from
Schwalbe
<https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/off-road_tires/marathon_plus_mtb>.
But a pair of those tires may come close to what he paid for the bike.

Re: Tire Pressure

<bd01de9e-f3c5-4d98-8650-6e6cc0dcd582n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52798&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52798

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 12:45:52 -0800 (PST)
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Sun, 27 Feb 2022 20:45 UTC

On Saturday, February 26, 2022 at 7:10:46 PM UTC-6, John B. wrote:
> A friend in the Philippines is complaining about how he is going
> through tires on his new Mountain Bike and I want to advise him to be
> careful to use the correct tire pressure.
>
> Do Mountain Bike tires normally have the suggested, or maximum,
> pressure indicated on the sidewalls like a road bike tire?
> If so I can just advise him to use that pressure.
>
> The guy lives on a yacht (there's that word again :-) and about all he
> knows about bicycles is how to ride them and they are his main means
> of transportation, on shore, so I don't want to get all involved in
> complex discussions about "well if it is down hill and you don't have
> the weeks groceries, etc.". I just want to tell him a number.
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> John B.

Simplest and safest advice for your friend is probably, 1. Find MAX pressure on casing of tire. 2. Inflate to 75% of the MAX pressure. 3. Good enough for your friend and good enough for 90% of the cycling world too. If he wants to go Extreme, inflate to 80% of MAX.

Re: Tire Pressure

<ir0o1h5819du7ogvv7v1qn0kjuki68cjov@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52807&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52807

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 06:11:30 +0700
 by: John B. - Sun, 27 Feb 2022 23:11 UTC

On Sun, 27 Feb 2022 11:03:48 -0600, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 2/26/2022 7:10 PM, John B. wrote:
>>
>> A friend in the Philippines is complaining about how he is going
>> through tires on his new Mountain Bike and I want to advise him to be
>> careful to use the correct tire pressure.
>>
>> Do Mountain Bike tires normally have the suggested, or maximum,
>> pressure indicated on the sidewalls like a road bike tire?
>> If so I can just advise him to use that pressure.
>>
>> The guy lives on a yacht (there's that word again :-) and about all he
>> knows about bicycles is how to ride them and they are his main means
>> of transportation, on shore, so I don't want to get all involved in
>> complex discussions about "well if it is down hill and you don't have
>> the weeks groceries, etc.". I just want to tell him a number.
>>

>For 26x1.9 standard MTB tires max rating (use on pavement)
>is usually 60psi.
>
>For 26x1.5 there are high pressure 100psi models (lighter &
>faster) at moderate prices.
>
>Yes, that's molded into the sidewall, often with both min &
>max numbers.

Right, and thanks for that. I'll let him know.

I gather from his posts that he is anchored in some remote rural area
and isn't allowed to move to a more populated area. He mentioned
something about not having been "allowed to go to town" but once in
the last 7 months so apparently his access to bike shops is somewhat
limited.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Tire Pressure

<2a1o1hdjfhujtjul3a4eqh7rmdg1n0grj9@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52810&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52810

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 07:16:50 +0700
 by: John B. - Mon, 28 Feb 2022 00:16 UTC

On Sun, 27 Feb 2022 09:51:37 -0800, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
wrote:

>On 2/26/2022 5:10 PM, John B. wrote:
>
>> I just want to tell him a number.
>
>50 psi or 3.5 bar
>
>Since he's probably riding his mountain bike on roads there's no benefit
>in under-inflating, and he'll get more punctures with underinflated tires.
>
>He probably has junky tires that came with the bike. Advice him to buy
>some tires with better puncture protection, i.e. Marathon Plus from
>Schwalbe
><https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/off-road_tires/marathon_plus_mtb>.
>But a pair of those tires may come close to what he paid for the bike.

He told me where he was anchored but I'm not familiar with the
Philippines so I don't know where "that" is but from his comments it
seems to be in a rural area and I suspect that bike shops may well be
few and far between. He did mention once that he had been "allowed to
go to town" only once in the past 7 months.

He did mention what he had paid for the bike - US$250 I believe but
perhaps more to the point he seems to view bicycles simply as a means
to get to market and back.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Tire Pressure

<r95o1h9ul0csij025f92u78ovihp4t2h8l@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52811&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52811

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 07:21:33 +0700
 by: John B. - Mon, 28 Feb 2022 00:21 UTC

On Sun, 27 Feb 2022 12:45:52 -0800 (PST), "russellseaton1@yahoo.com"
<ritzannaseaton@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, February 26, 2022 at 7:10:46 PM UTC-6, John B. wrote:
>> A friend in the Philippines is complaining about how he is going
>> through tires on his new Mountain Bike and I want to advise him to be
>> careful to use the correct tire pressure.
>>
>> Do Mountain Bike tires normally have the suggested, or maximum,
>> pressure indicated on the sidewalls like a road bike tire?
>> If so I can just advise him to use that pressure.
>>
>> The guy lives on a yacht (there's that word again :-) and about all he
>> knows about bicycles is how to ride them and they are his main means
>> of transportation, on shore, so I don't want to get all involved in
>> complex discussions about "well if it is down hill and you don't have
>> the weeks groceries, etc.". I just want to tell him a number.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>>
>> John B.
>
>Simplest and safest advice for your friend is probably, 1. Find MAX pressure on casing of tire. 2. Inflate to 75% of the MAX pressure. 3. Good enough for your friend and good enough for 90% of the cycling world too. If he wants to go Extreme, inflate to 80% of MAX.

Yes, and I'll give him that advice as well as Andrew Muzi's
recommendations.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Tire Pressure

<svh7th$ps9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52812&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52812

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 19:18:44 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Mon, 28 Feb 2022 01:18 UTC

On 2/27/2022 6:16 PM, John B. wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2022 09:51:37 -0800, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/26/2022 5:10 PM, John B. wrote:
>>
>>> I just want to tell him a number.
>>
>> 50 psi or 3.5 bar
>>
>> Since he's probably riding his mountain bike on roads there's no benefit
>> in under-inflating, and he'll get more punctures with underinflated tires.
>>
>> He probably has junky tires that came with the bike. Advice him to buy
>> some tires with better puncture protection, i.e. Marathon Plus from
>> Schwalbe
>> <https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/off-road_tires/marathon_plus_mtb>.
>> But a pair of those tires may come close to what he paid for the bike.
>>

> He told me where he was anchored but I'm not familiar with the
> Philippines so I don't know where "that" is but from his comments it
> seems to be in a rural area and I suspect that bike shops may well be
> few and far between. He did mention once that he had been "allowed to
> go to town" only once in the past 7 months.
>
> He did mention what he had paid for the bike - US$250 I believe but
> perhaps more to the point he seems to view bicycles simply as a means
> to get to market and back.

Motor vehicle pressures, 30 to 45 psi, will be rideable and
even in rural areas should be readily available.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Tire Pressure

<m7ao1hh0g57blrpcq1brasodvrblgtfh9r@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52813&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52813

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 08:51:07 +0700
 by: John B. - Mon, 28 Feb 2022 01:51 UTC

On Sun, 27 Feb 2022 19:18:44 -0600, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 2/27/2022 6:16 PM, John B. wrote:
>> On Sun, 27 Feb 2022 09:51:37 -0800, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> 50 psi or 3.5 bar
>>>
>>> Since he's probably riding his mountain bike on roads there's no benefit
>>> in under-inflating, and he'll get more punctures with underinflated tires.
>>>
>>> He probably has junky tires that came with the bike. Advice him to buy
>>> some tires with better puncture protection, i.e. Marathon Plus from
>>> Schwalbe
>>> <https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/off-road_tires/marathon_plus_mtb>.
>>> But a pair of those tires may come close to what he paid for the bike.
>>>

>> He told me where he was anchored but I'm not familiar with the
>> Philippines so I don't know where "that" is but from his comments it
>> seems to be in a rural area and I suspect that bike shops may well be
>> few and far between. He did mention once that he had been "allowed to
>> go to town" only once in the past 7 months.
>>
>> He did mention what he had paid for the bike - US$250 I believe but
>> perhaps more to the point he seems to view bicycles simply as a means
>> to get to market and back.
>>

>Motor vehicle pressures, 30 to 45 psi, will be rideable and
>even in rural areas should be readily available.

Yes. He sent me a copy of a photo of a rural "Filling Station" with a
sign "Bicycles Repaired" Which, probably, is the best there is where
he is.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Tire Pressure

<c96ca11d-de33-404f-b888-0ac6f4616008n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52817&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52817

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 18:28:24 -0800 (PST)
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Mon, 28 Feb 2022 02:28 UTC

On Sunday, February 27, 2022 at 6:21:38 PM UTC-6, John B. wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2022 12:45:52 -0800 (PST), "russell...@yahoo.com"
> <ritzann...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, February 26, 2022 at 7:10:46 PM UTC-6, John B. wrote:
> >> A friend in the Philippines is complaining about how he is going
> >> through tires on his new Mountain Bike and I want to advise him to be
> >> careful to use the correct tire pressure.
> >>
> >> Do Mountain Bike tires normally have the suggested, or maximum,
> >> pressure indicated on the sidewalls like a road bike tire?
> >> If so I can just advise him to use that pressure.
> >>
> >> The guy lives on a yacht (there's that word again :-) and about all he
> >> knows about bicycles is how to ride them and they are his main means
> >> of transportation, on shore, so I don't want to get all involved in
> >> complex discussions about "well if it is down hill and you don't have
> >> the weeks groceries, etc.". I just want to tell him a number.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> John B.
> >
> >Simplest and safest advice for your friend is probably, 1. Find MAX pressure on casing of tire. 2. Inflate to 75% of the MAX pressure. 3. Good enough for your friend and good enough for 90% of the cycling world too. If he wants to go Extreme, inflate to 80% of MAX.
> Yes, and I'll give him that advice as well as Andrew Muzi's
> recommendations.
> --
> Cheers,
>
> John B.

I assumed he had a tire pump with a pressure gauge on it. But as Andy said, if he is using a Filling Station, than he might be limited to 40 psi maximum. Which is OK for a mountain bike tire. But awfully low for any road type tire. Doable, but he will still need to find a manual tire pump and add some air.

Re: Tire Pressure

<svhegn$735$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52822&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52822

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 21:11:22 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Mon, 28 Feb 2022 03:11 UTC

On 2/27/2022 7:51 PM, John B. wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2022 19:18:44 -0600, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
>
>> On 2/27/2022 6:16 PM, John B. wrote:

>>> He told me where he was anchored but I'm not familiar with the
>>> Philippines so I don't know where "that" is but from his comments it
>>> seems to be in a rural area and I suspect that bike shops may well be
>>> few and far between. He did mention once that he had been "allowed to
>>> go to town" only once in the past 7 months.
>>>
>>> He did mention what he had paid for the bike - US$250 I believe but
>>> perhaps more to the point he seems to view bicycles simply as a means
>>> to get to market and back.
>>>

>> Motor vehicle pressures, 30 to 45 psi, will be rideable and
>> even in rural areas should be readily available.
>
> Yes. He sent me a copy of a photo of a rural "Filling Station" with a
> sign "Bicycles Repaired" Which, probably, is the best there is where
> he is.

I went back to read your original post.
Yes, you're right that extremely high or low pressure can
contribute to tire failure.

But perhaps you should ask him to describe 'tire failure'
more specifically. The problem may not be inflation pressure
dependent.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Tire Pressure

<vvgo1hdnr80vr68a2hih15b9u6gkahgmoj@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52829&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52829

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 12:40:30 +0700
 by: John B. - Mon, 28 Feb 2022 05:40 UTC

On Sun, 27 Feb 2022 21:11:22 -0600, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 2/27/2022 7:51 PM, John B. wrote:

>>> Motor vehicle pressures, 30 to 45 psi, will be rideable and
>>> even in rural areas should be readily available.
>>
>> Yes. He sent me a copy of a photo of a rural "Filling Station" with a
>> sign "Bicycles Repaired" Which, probably, is the best there is where
>> he is.
>>

>I went back to read your original post.
>Yes, you're right that extremely high or low pressure can
>contribute to tire failure.
>
>But perhaps you should ask him to describe 'tire failure'
>more specifically. The problem may not be inflation pressure
>dependent.

Mostly it has been a casual discussion. He mentioned something about
"I've changed about everything on this bike" and I asked him "what"
and he went on at some length. I suspect that the real story is that
he bought a very cheap bike and paid too much money for it and it is
falling apart. He mentioned, for example, that one of the rims cracked
and the pedals bent.

Anyway, I wanted to sort of express my sympathy without commenting on
someone who would pay too much for a POS bike (:-( and thought maybe
giving him a bit of advice about tire pressure might be a sort of
middle of the road sort of comment. (See, I'm trying to help!)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Tire Pressure

<6dd78c01-8b3b-4259-835a-bfabf4fc687an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52833&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52833

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 22:17:00 -0800 (PST)
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Mon, 28 Feb 2022 06:17 UTC

On Sunday, February 27, 2022 at 11:40:39 PM UTC-6, John B. wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2022 21:11:22 -0600, AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

> >> Yes. He sent me a copy of a photo of a rural "Filling Station" with a
> >> sign "Bicycles Repaired" Which, probably, is the best there is where
> >> he is.
> >>

> >I went back to read your original post.
> >Yes, you're right that extremely high or low pressure can
> >contribute to tire failure.
> >
> >But perhaps you should ask him to describe 'tire failure'
> >more specifically. The problem may not be inflation pressure
> >dependent.
> Mostly it has been a casual discussion. He mentioned something about
> "I've changed about everything on this bike" and I asked him "what"
> and he went on at some length. I suspect that the real story is that
> he bought a very cheap bike and paid too much money for it and it is
> falling apart. He mentioned, for example, that one of the rims cracked
> and the pedals bent.
>
> Anyway, I wanted to sort of express my sympathy without commenting on
> someone who would pay too much for a POS bike (:-( and thought maybe
> giving him a bit of advice about tire pressure might be a sort of
> middle of the road sort of comment. (See, I'm trying to help!)
> --
> Cheers,
>
> John B.

I think if you are a good friend, you might tell him to cut his losses and advise him to get a new bike. And when he is buying the new bike he can have a video call with you and show you the bike and you can tell him in person whether its good or not and suggest a reasonable price.

Re: Tire Pressure

<v0so1h5c4ag08jcdbhh9mum4nam8t6fije@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52838&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52838

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 15:02:30 +0700
 by: John B. - Mon, 28 Feb 2022 08:02 UTC

On Sun, 27 Feb 2022 22:17:00 -0800 (PST), "russellseaton1@yahoo.com"
<ritzannaseaton@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, February 27, 2022 at 11:40:39 PM UTC-6, John B. wrote:

>> >I went back to read your original post.
>> >Yes, you're right that extremely high or low pressure can
>> >contribute to tire failure.
>> >
>> >But perhaps you should ask him to describe 'tire failure'
>> >more specifically. The problem may not be inflation pressure
>> >dependent.
>> Mostly it has been a casual discussion. He mentioned something about
>> "I've changed about everything on this bike" and I asked him "what"
>> and he went on at some length. I suspect that the real story is that
>> he bought a very cheap bike and paid too much money for it and it is
>> falling apart. He mentioned, for example, that one of the rims cracked
>> and the pedals bent.
>>
>> Anyway, I wanted to sort of express my sympathy without commenting on
>> someone who would pay too much for a POS bike (:-( and thought maybe
>> giving him a bit of advice about tire pressure might be a sort of
>> middle of the road sort of comment. (See, I'm trying to help!)
>> --
>> Cheers,
>>
>> John B.
>
>I think if you are a good friend, you might tell him to cut his losses and advise him to get a new bike. And when he is buying the new bike he can have a video call with you and show you the bike and you can tell him in person whether its good or not and suggest a reasonable price.

Well... yes, I could but he seems to view bicycles solely as a means
of transportation and has mentioned looking at one costing US$1,000 as
though that is a vast sum of money.

But I don't believe it is just a money thing. When I first met him,
more then 20 years ago, he was a driller on oil rigs and the last two
jobs he had was Drilling Supervisor for the Malaysian National Oil
Company and then for the Vietnamese Oil company. These are high paid
positions.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Tire Pressure

<sviu7e$u77$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52845&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52845

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 11:45:33 -0500
 by: Frank Krygowski - Mon, 28 Feb 2022 16:45 UTC

On 2/28/2022 3:02 AM, John B. wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2022 22:17:00 -0800 (PST), "russellseaton1@yahoo.com"
> <ritzannaseaton@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think if you are a good friend, you might tell him to cut his losses and advise him to get a new bike. And when he is buying the new bike he can have a video call with you and show you the bike and you can tell him in person whether its good or not and suggest a reasonable price.
>

> Well... yes, I could but he seems to view bicycles solely as a means
> of transportation and has mentioned looking at one costing US$1,000 as
> though that is a vast sum of money.

I've related here before about helping a young guy walking a
bike-shaped-object with a flat tire on a rural road. He had biked to his
McDonalds job for years, and said he bought a new bike every year
because they always go bad; and he never shifts gears because that makes
the bike break. He was astonished at the age of my Cannondale, and that
I'd ridden it on many tours, including coast to coast.

Buying a BSO might make sense if a person just wants something to hang
in the garage or someplace. But if your friend actually rides a bike,
he'd probably be better off financially by buying a real bike.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Tire Pressure

<svju23$cji$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52868&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52868

From: bp...@www.zefox.net (bob prohaska)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 01:48:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: bob prohaska - Tue, 1 Mar 2022 01:48 UTC

John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well... yes, I could but he seems to view bicycles solely as a means
> of transportation and has mentioned looking at one costing US$1,000 as
> though that is a vast sum of money.

Well, I tend to agree with him. The point of a bicycle is economy and
simplicity. For some, it's a form of ornamentation, but I digress...

> But I don't believe it is just a money thing. When I first met him,
> more then 20 years ago, he was a driller on oil rigs and the last two
> jobs he had was Drilling Supervisor for the Malaysian National Oil
> Company and then for the Vietnamese Oil company. These are high paid
> positions.

Seems they're likely also technical. Tire pressure depends on what
the riding surface is, just like drilling depends on the rock being
drilled. Here's a simple experiment.

Set the pressure to sidewall max. Ride. Look at the track. If it's a
groove pressed into the ground, lower the pressure and repeat. When
the groove depth equals tire sag, that's probably close to minimum
rolling resistance. If the tire pinches on the rim he needs wider
tires for that road surface.

hth,

bob prohaska

Re: Tire Pressure

<lgidnVb6eKetioL_nZ2dnZeNn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52935&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52935

Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 08:06:11 +0100
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: yeah...@nobut.no (Tosspot)
 by: Tosspot - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 07:06 UTC

On 27/02/2022 02:10, John B. wrote:

> A friend in the Philippines is complaining about how he is going
> through tires on his new Mountain Bike and I want to advise him to be
> careful to use the correct tire pressure.
>
> Do Mountain Bike tires normally have the suggested, or maximum,
> pressure indicated on the sidewalls like a road bike tire?
> If so I can just advise him to use that pressure.
>
> The guy lives on a yacht (there's that word again :-) and about all he
> knows about bicycles is how to ride them and they are his main means
> of transportation, on shore, so I don't want to get all involved in
> complex discussions about "well if it is down hill and you don't have
> the weeks groceries, etc.". I just want to tell him a number.

45 psi covers a multitude of sins ime. Or max pressure.

Re: Tire Pressure

<ac86aa40-b5b0-4827-a842-29529037ca61n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52944&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52944

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 04:38:19 -0800 (PST)
From: fiult...@yahoo.com (Andre Jute)
 by: Andre Jute - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 12:38 UTC

On Sunday, February 27, 2022 at 6:49:51 AM UTC, lou.h...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, February 27, 2022 at 2:10:46 AM UTC+1, John B. wrote:
> > A friend in the Philippines is complaining about how he is going
> > through tires on his new Mountain Bike and I want to advise him to be
> > careful to use the correct tire pressure.
> >
> > Do Mountain Bike tires normally have the suggested, or maximum,
> > pressure indicated on the sidewalls like a road bike tire?
> > If so I can just advise him to use that pressure.
> >
> > The guy lives on a yacht (there's that word again :-) and about all he
> > knows about bicycles is how to ride them and they are his main means
> > of transportation, on shore, so I don't want to get all involved in
> > complex discussions about "well if it is down hill and you don't have
> > the weeks groceries, etc.". I just want to tell him a number.
> >
> > --
> > Cheers,
> >
> > John B.
> Almost always the pressure indicted on the tires is the maximum value and way too high for normal use. The optimal tire pressure depends on the width. A good starting point for a 2-2.5" wide tire is 2 bar.
>
> Lou

Measured with a meter. 2 bar can already feel pretty hard, and modern tires with anti-intrusion bands are too stiff for fingerspitzengefuehl until they're already under inflated. -- AJ

Re: Tire Pressure

<svo68e$tr1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52952&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52952

From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 16:33:18 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:FzsW8+UNuDqLFOU7fHt9jAF/IwE=
 by: Roger Merriman - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 16:33 UTC

John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com> wrote:

> A friend in the Philippines is complaining about how he is going
> through tires on his new Mountain Bike and I want to advise him to be
> careful to use the correct tire pressure.
>
> Do Mountain Bike tires normally have the suggested, or maximum,
> pressure indicated on the sidewalls like a road bike tire?
> If so I can just advise him to use that pressure.
>
> The guy lives on a yacht (there's that word again :-) and about all he
> knows about bicycles is how to ride them and they are his main means
> of transportation, on shore, so I don't want to get all involved in
> complex discussions about "well if it is down hill and you don't have
> the weeks groceries, etc.". I just want to tell him a number.

If he’s just riding short distances then 30/40psi is about right, my old
MTB ie commute beastie with Big Apples I run at 40psi which seems about
right for mostly urban stuff ie roads/parks etc.

Roger Merriman

Re: Tire Pressure

<6c9d583f-5d74-4e93-bcc4-08ebd0d951aan@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=52955&group=rec.bicycles.tech#52955

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 09:13:09 -0800 (PST)
From: timwd...@gmail.com (Tim Dick)
 by: Tim Dick - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 17:13 UTC

Yes, all tires have a maximum pressure (or max. and min.) printed on the side walls. For an MTB, maximum pressure would be for riding on the road. If he is riding off road, a lower pressure is better.