She won' go Warp 7, Cap'n! The batteries are dead!

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Colnago

SubjectAuthor
* ColnagoTom Kunich
`* Re: ColnagoTom Kunich
 `* Re: ColnagoAMuzi
  +- Re: ColnagoTom Kunich
  `- Re: ColnagoTom Kunich

1
Colnago

<c557172c-1c45-425b-99ea-321906382330n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=53393&group=rec.bicycles.tech#53393

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 09:42:37 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Colnago
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 17:42 UTC

I have been a fan of Colnago forever. Their one weakness of the one's built in Italy is the Italian threaded BB's. But with the latest locking compounds this isn't a lot of problem. Properly installed and torqued and they don't come loose.

I'm trying to put my C50 together and I keep wanting more upgrades.

I had a power torque crankset and cups which are different from Ultra torque cups and then when I opened the crankset box up I discovered that I had ordered a 175 crankset. Now for the world of me I can't understand why I would have done that. It must have been a total accident. I can't turn 175's anymore because it takes about 30 minutes to loosen up my knees enough to stop the pain. This problem doesn't exist with the 172.5 mm cranks.

So looking for a Power Torque crank I discovered that they are so rare in my size now that they are really expensive. So I bought a slightly used Chorus Ultra-Torque unit and ordered some Ultra Torque cups. Now I do have a set of used Italian cups that I could have used but as long as I'm putting it together these might as well be new. Thee is enough scratching on the older cups to make it difficult to read the 34 x 24

As you might remember, I said that Record levers should work with the Centaur rear derailleur and someplace else someone said that they were doing exactly that. So I wonder why Campagnolo would say that they were incompatible?

Re: Colnago

<2e929121-f97e-4014-bce8-5703fa656a43n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=53444&group=rec.bicycles.tech#53444

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 08:00:57 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Colnago
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 15:00 UTC

On Friday, March 11, 2022 at 9:42:39 AM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
> I have been a fan of Colnago forever. Their one weakness of the one's built in Italy is the Italian threaded BB's. But with the latest locking compounds this isn't a lot of problem. Properly installed and torqued and they don't come loose.
>
> I'm trying to put my C50 together and I keep wanting more upgrades.
>
> I had a power torque crankset and cups which are different from Ultra torque cups and then when I opened the crankset box up I discovered that I had ordered a 175 crankset. Now for the world of me I can't understand why I would have done that. It must have been a total accident. I can't turn 175's anymore because it takes about 30 minutes to loosen up my knees enough to stop the pain. This problem doesn't exist with the 172.5 mm cranks.
>
> So looking for a Power Torque crank I discovered that they are so rare in my size now that they are really expensive. So I bought a slightly used Chorus Ultra-Torque unit and ordered some Ultra Torque cups. Now I do have a set of used Italian cups that I could have used but as long as I'm putting it together these might as well be new. Thee is enough scratching on the older cups to make it difficult to read the 34 x 24
>
> As you might remember, I said that Record levers should work with the Centaur rear derailleur and someplace else someone said that they were doing exactly that. So I wonder why Campagnolo would say that they were incompatible?
I had the bottom bracket threads cleaned by the shop and also the rear derailleur threads. So the shop installed the rear derailleur and bottom bracket cups. They were power torque. When I opened the crankset box I discovered that I had bought that crankset before I changed from 175 length to 172.5. My knees can no longer take the longer cranks so I bought a proper length of compact cranks and found a set of Chorus Ultra Torque. This means I have to replace the Power Torque cups with Ultra Torque. I do have a set of Italian cups but they look a little worse for the wear. Removing the Power Torque cups was a little challenging since my wife put a large rack full of junk where I used to keep my tool box. Looking everywhere for my car tools I finally discovered that I had put them all into a new plastic tool box rather than the old red steel one that stood out like a sore thumb.

It is difficult to remove these cups since the Campagnolo tool needs to be powerfully locked into the work stand and mine is a regular amateur's work stand rather than the professional one I used to have before my concussion. This means that you have to manually hold the tool in place rather than push it all together as you would when you're installing the cups. I needed the auto tool set to use the 18" breaker bar and tool size converter. Finding the auto toolset I removed the cups in 2 minutes. And rather than place the older Italian threaded Ultra Torque cups, I ordered some new ones.

One of the questionable things that the shop did was place antiseize lubricant on the cups. I suppose this is the proper thing to do since this has no effect on the retaining compound and the proper torquing of the cups to prevent loosening. So I will do the same thing on the new cups. The shop mechanic was one of the mechanics for 7-11 so I will bow to his experience.

I also have an 18" torque wrench. Does anyone know the torque spec for Ultra Torque cups? I don't remember there being any manual in the box with the cups in it.

Re: Colnago

<t0l76c$88g$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=53460&group=rec.bicycles.tech#53460

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 11:47:06 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 16:47 UTC

On 3/13/2022 10:00 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> [...]
>
> One of the questionable things that the shop did was place antiseize lubricant on the cups. I suppose this is the proper thing to do since this has no effect on the retaining compound and the proper torquing of the cups to prevent loosening. So I will do the same thing on the new cups. The shop mechanic was one of the mechanics for 7-11 so I will bow to his experience.
>
> I also have an 18" torque wrench. Does anyone know the torque spec for Ultra Torque cups? I don't remember there being any manual in the box with the cups in it.

That's right. There's no manual in the UT cup package. The
part is stamped '35nm' on the outer rim.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Re: Colnago

<2c8b167e-78d9-4141-bd05-ef182a289209n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=53463&group=rec.bicycles.tech#53463

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 09:49:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 16:49 UTC

On Sunday, March 13, 2022 at 9:47:12 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > One of the questionable things that the shop did was place antiseize lubricant on the cups. I suppose this is the proper thing to do since this has no effect on the retaining compound and the proper torquing of the cups to prevent loosening. So I will do the same thing on the new cups. The shop mechanic was one of the mechanics for 7-11 so I will bow to his experience.
> >
> > I also have an 18" torque wrench. Does anyone know the torque spec for Ultra Torque cups? I don't remember there being any manual in the box with the cups in it.
> >
> That's right. There's no manual in the UT cup package. The
> part is stamped '35nm' on the outer rim.

<94cdc840-20ec-4d46-83d5-21274bf75a87n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=53465&group=rec.bicycles.tech#53465

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 09:53:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 16:53 UTC

> [...]
> >
> > One of the questionable things that the shop did was place antiseize lubricant on the cups. I suppose this is the proper thing to do since this has no effect on the retaining compound and the proper torquing of the cups to prevent loosening. So I will do the same thing on the new cups. The shop mechanic was one of the mechanics for 7-11 so I will bow to his experience.
> >
> > I also have an 18" torque wrench. Does anyone know the torque spec for Ultra Torque cups? I don't remember there being any manual in the box with the cups in it.
> >
> That's right. There's no manual in the UT cup package. The
> part is stamped '35nm' on the outer rim.

Thanks, that's 26 ft/lbs