BASIC is to computer programming as QWERTY is to typing. -- Seymour Papert

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Contacts, glasses, riding?

SubjectAuthor
* Contacts, glasses, riding?Mark Cleary
+- Re: Contacts, glasses, riding?John B.
+- Re: Contacts, glasses, riding?Ralph Barone
+- Re: Contacts, glasses, riding?Frank Krygowski
+* Re: Contacts, glasses, riding?russellseaton1@yahoo.com
|`- Re: Contacts, glasses, riding?Frank Krygowski
+* Re: Contacts, glasses, riding?Andre Jute
|`- Re: Contacts, glasses, riding?Tom Kunich
+- Re: Contacts, glasses, riding?Sir Ridesalot
+- Re: Contacts, glasses, riding?Lou Holtman
+- Re: Contacts, glasses, riding?Mark Cleary
`* Re: Contacts, glasses, riding?Frank Krygowski
 `- Re: Contacts, glasses, riding?AMuzi

1
Contacts, glasses, riding?

<24a1df5c-71af-4de0-850d-f4096cfc5f50n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=53631&group=rec.bicycles.tech#53631

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 14:48:32 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Contacts, glasses, riding?
From: deaconmj...@gmail.com (Mark Cleary)
 by: Mark Cleary - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 21:48 UTC

I had LASIK eye surgery 21 years ago. At the time I had wore hard gas permeable lenses for 28 years. My vison was super bad at -12 and -13 left and right eyes. That is in the super high myopia category. I could only wear hard lenses, soft do not correct that big of a refraction.

I was lucky had enough cornea material to have the surgery with the goal to not be dependent on contacts all the time. Also that high of a refraction just makes dependent on correct at every waking moment. To get an idea of how bad this is I could see the 20/20 line on the chart perfectly if I was looking at it from about 6 inches away from the chart, not 20 feet.

Well it worked and 24 hours later I was able to drive a car without correction. My final check up at 3 months put my vision at 20/25 just what I saw in my contacts. Success to say the least.

Fast forward now 21 years later and my vision has changed. My right eye is myopic has regressed to about 20/70 in this eye and about 20/40 in the left. I can still barely pass the drivers test for driving without glasses. However correcting all the way I can see much better at least 20/20 with both eyes and yes to me that looks way better.

So my situation now is I want to correct my vision and be glasses free. I trying now only one soft lenses in my right eye to correct it for distance all the way. This brings up my vision to 20/25 with both eyes pretty good and very fine for cycling but I do really like to have my fullest distance vision riding and really for most things.

This present the reading problem because now I am supposed to be using my left eye as my reader. Well it works but up close I can tell my right eye has issues. Since it has the contact lenses it still is not perfect like the left in that the contact focusing does change a bit as one blinks.

My real bike question is if I should not wear contacts riding and have full glasses that correct for full distance? Is it safer with contacts or glasses on the eyes? Tomorrow I have a set of new contacts coming this time with the same right contact but now they are going to correct my left eye for the smaller myopia but it has some astigmatism so a toric contact. This should give me the best possible distance vision in contacts without regard to reading. I am not sure if glasses would give me better vision but my guess is not enough to make a huge difference.

What does the group here do that might wear glasses or contacts riding. I wore my distance vision glasses today the older RX and I see fine and can read my Garmin 935 easily. Wearing the single contact as I have the past 10 days yields the same results. Any thoughts on this?

Sunglasses are fine but I can put a nice shield on the glasses that works good too. I tend not to always need sunglasses riding. Should I be riding with eye protection regardless.

The post is long but help the deacon out. Surely this group needs some glasses or at least readers to see the computer.
Deacon Mark

Re: Contacts, glasses, riding?

<mar43hdcotc500j975ls5qsl7j9jlrs81r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=53632&group=rec.bicycles.tech#53632

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Contacts, glasses, riding?
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 06:10:51 +0700
 by: John B. - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 23:10 UTC

On Wed, 16 Mar 2022 14:48:32 -0700 (PDT), Mark Cleary
<deaconmjc08@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
>What does the group here do that might wear glasses or contacts riding. I wore my distance vision glasses today the older RX and I see fine and can read my Garmin 935 easily. Wearing the single contact as I have the past 10 days yields the same results. Any thoughts on this?
>
>Sunglasses are fine but I can put a nice shield on the glasses that works good too. I tend not to always need sunglasses riding. Should I be riding with eye protection regardless.
>
>The post is long but help the deacon out. Surely this group needs some glasses or at least readers to see the computer.

Here they replace one lens with a "distance" lens and the other with a
"close" lens and I get along perfectly well except for reading where
if I try to read a book I either have to keep one eye closed or wear
glasses and keep the other eye closed.

It isn't a major problem but is a bit bothersome particularly if I
read a long time. And being an old fashioned guy I do like to read
books.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Contacts, glasses, riding?

<t0tubn$1dfe$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=53633&group=rec.bicycles.tech#53633

From: ral...@invalid.com (Ralph Barone)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 00:11:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ralph Barone - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 00:11 UTC

> [...]
> left eye for the smaller myopia but it has some astigmatism so a toric
> contact. This should give me the best possible distance vision in
> contacts without regard to reading. I am not sure if glasses would give
> me better vision but my guess is not enough to make a huge difference.
>
> What does the group here do that might wear glasses or contacts riding. I
> wore my distance vision glasses today the older RX and I see fine and can
> read my Garmin 935 easily. Wearing the single contact as I have the past
> 10 days yields the same results. Any thoughts on this?
>
> Sunglasses are fine but I can put a nice shield on the glasses that works
> good too. I tend not to always need sunglasses riding. Should I be riding
> with eye protection regardless.
>
> The post is long but help the deacon out. Surely this group needs some
> glasses or at least readers to see the computer.

I’m somewhat in the opposite camp as my distance vision is OK, but I can’t
move the Garmin far enough away to see it properly. My helmet has a visor,
so I was able to buy some stick-on lenses to get the adder I need to see
the GPS properly.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/apparel-and-safety-gear/eyewear-and-face-protection/52602-stick-on-magnifying-lenses

Re: Contacts, glasses, riding?

<t0u4jj$24t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=53634&group=rec.bicycles.tech#53634

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 21:58:09 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 01:58 UTC

On 3/16/2022 5:48 PM, Mark Cleary wrote:
> [...]
>
> What does the group here do that might wear glasses or contacts riding. I wore my distance vision glasses today the older RX and I see fine and can read my Garmin 935 easily. Wearing the single contact as I have the past 10 days yields the same results. Any thoughts on this?
>
> Sunglasses are fine but I can put a nice shield on the glasses that works good too. I tend not to always need sunglasses riding. Should I be riding with eye protection regardless.
>
> The post is long but help the deacon out. Surely this group needs some glasses or at least readers to see the computer.

As usual, I'm in the "I don't have a problem" camp. I've needed glasses
since I was a kid, i.e. some 60 years, so I'm very used to wearing them
all the time, including while cycling.

I don't use sunglasses except clip-on polarizers used while kayaking to
allow me to see into the water. Ever since they became available, I've
had "Photogrey" or "Transition" lenses. Those are what I use for
everything, including cycling. I do like using a cycling cap to keep sun
out of my eyes, especially when it's low in the sky.

I was good with a single focal length far longer than the optometrist
expected, but I eventually used graduated lenses, or no-line bifocals
(really, multi-focals). I can see far, I can see near, I can see the
cyclometer. No problems.

One minor benefit to my "one pair of glasses" scheme is that I make my
own eyeglass mirrors. I keep one in each handlebar bag, all identical,
all custom made to fit these glasses.

So again, I do just fine with a minimalist strategy. It's probably not
much help for you.

My only glasses problem while riding is rain on the lenses. I usually
take them off if it's raining.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Contacts, glasses, riding?

<b31e440f-3790-4472-a932-bc2bcb86d31fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=53635&group=rec.bicycles.tech#53635

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 23:18:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 06:18 UTC

On Wednesday, March 16, 2022 at 4:48:33 PM UTC-5, deaco...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
>
> What does the group here do that might wear glasses or contacts riding. I wore my distance vision glasses today the older RX and I see fine and can read my Garmin 935 easily. Wearing the single contact as I have the past 10 days yields the same results. Any thoughts on this?
>
> Sunglasses are fine but I can put a nice shield on the glasses that works good too. I tend not to always need sunglasses riding. Should I be riding with eye protection regardless.
>
> The post is long but help the deacon out. Surely this group needs some glasses or at least readers to see the computer.

My response will be of zero help to you. But hey I want to post something.

I did not know Lasik was available 21 years ago. I got it about 10 years ago and its been super duper great. My overall vision went from 600 or so to about 20/25 now. Good enough for distance. Unfortunately my up close reading vision was made instantly worse. I now need/like reading glasses for reading up close. But I can get by without reading glasses OK. So I am very happy with Lasik.

I can see the simple cycling computer while riding without any glasses.

Back when using eyeglasses for riding, and seeing, I took Chalo's advice and ordered super cheap glasses from Zenni Optical. $10 per pair for glasses or less. Ordered half dozen pair. Easily mounted my eyeglass mirror on them. Sturdy plastic frames. I think I got some with clear lenses and some with photogray lenses. Super cheap. Used one of those elastic cords on the earpieces to cinch the glasses to my face and not slide down from sweat.

When I was a youth, I wore contacts sometimes when riding bikes. I had the problem of sweat getting in my eyes and moving the contacts out of place. One time that happened I stopped at a house along the road and fortunately the people had saline solution from one of their kids and I was able to take the contact lens out and put it back in.

Re: Contacts, glasses, riding?

<a50baebc-d1ad-4990-be38-648233237262n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=53639&group=rec.bicycles.tech#53639

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 06:45:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: fiult...@yahoo.com (Andre Jute)
 by: Andre Jute - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 13:45 UTC

On Wednesday, March 16, 2022 at 9:48:33 PM UTC, deaco...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
>
> What does the group here do that might wear glasses or contacts riding. I wore my distance vision glasses today the older RX and I see fine and can read my Garmin 935 easily. Wearing the single contact as I have the past 10 days yields the same results. Any thoughts on this?
>
> Sunglasses are fine but I can put a nice shield on the glasses that works good too. I tend not to always need sunglasses riding. Should I be riding with eye protection regardless.
>
> The post is long but help the deacon out. Surely this group needs some glasses or at least readers to see the computer.

The next par is a description of my spectacle applications. The par after that has a helpful comment pass on from my optician.

I've worn spectacles since I was a boy. Contacts don't agree with me. My lenses are all glass, including the ones in the RX clip-in in my German cycling glasses which use separate over-lenses of various colors (the shooter's yellow are good for nighttime riding, the orange for overcast days, and in the depth of the winter I wear the polarizing gray or brown to see the black ice on the lanes). All my lenses are photo chromatic. I have different sets of spectacles, most in fifty plus year-old custom-made frames of my own design, for different purposes: using a large screen on my computer from about two feet away, reading an iPad on my treadmill, reading a book in my bath, social events, and so on.My special cycling clip-in has infinity focus lenses, also glass, but often I cycle with another pair, same as I use for watching television with my family, which has a focal length of eight feet. I determined that eight feet was the optimum distance for making eye contact with drivers at street junctions in my town, where traffic flow depends more on courtesy between road users than on stop or give-way signs. There are always at least three pairs of spectacles on my bike, one focussing at 8 feet, one at infinity, and one for reading if I decide to stop somewhere. I'm not a weight weenie...

I'll be having laser surgery too. My optician told me I could ask the surgeon to dial the focus back one stop so that in my maximum use, with electronic devices, my eyes would focus without spectacles. Apparently many people do this, and get a pair of photo chromatic prescription glasses for leaving their desk or going out, presumably on the presumption that if they'll be wearing shades anyway, that may was well be the one pair of prescription glasses they'll have made.

Andre Jute
It's the details that matter.

Re: Contacts, glasses, riding?

<c5db9b2c-b5ed-4ea1-aa71-7104f7edfbc2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=53641&group=rec.bicycles.tech#53641

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 07:07:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 14:07 UTC

On Thursday, March 17, 2022 at 6:45:24 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
> [...]
> >
> I'll be having laser surgery too. My optician told me I could ask the surgeon to dial the focus back one stop so that in my maximum use, with electronic devices, my eyes would focus without spectacles. Apparently many people do this, and get a pair of photo chromatic prescription glasses for leaving their desk or going out, presumably on the presumption that if they'll be wearing shades anyway, that may was well be the one pair of prescription glasses they'll have made.

When I fell my left eye partially popped out tearing the connection of the eye to the socket. While this grew back it left a scar on the back of my eye that makes it impossible to see fine details in the left eye. I got hard lenses installed since that was what the doctor suggested. He said that I would have to wear glasses anyway with soft lenses since they didn't flex enough to be of a great deal of use. So I wear bifocals and the only problem I have with those is that I keep losing my glasses. I just found them in my tool box for bicycles the other day. I was down to wearing my backup set

Re: Contacts, glasses, riding?

<01a871e4-660a-41c6-a849-43fe31caeb7fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=53642&group=rec.bicycles.tech#53642

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 07:11:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: i_am_cyc...@yahoo.ca (Sir Ridesalot)
 by: Sir Ridesalot - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 14:11 UTC

On Wednesday, March 16, 2022 at 5:48:33 p.m. UTC-4, deaco...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
>
> What does the group here do that might wear glasses or contacts riding. I wore my distance vision glasses today the older RX and I see fine and can read my Garmin 935 easily. Wearing the single contact as I have the past 10 days yields the same results. Any thoughts on this?
>
> Sunglasses are fine but I can put a nice shield on the glasses that works good too. I tend not to always need sunglasses riding. Should I be riding with eye protection regardless.
>
> The post is long but help the deacon out. Surely this group needs some glasses or at least readers to see the computer.

I wear bifocals when riding and thus I can see the screen on my bicycle computer as well as see what's ahead or around me. I have sunglasses that fir over my eyeglasses.

I'd never ride a bicycle at speed without some sort of external eye protection. I was once riding across a high-level bridge when a large bug struck my sunglasses with such force that the lens cracked. I can on ly imaging what it'd have done to an unprotected eye.

Cheers

Re: Contacts, glasses, riding?

<t0vku5$8kb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=53643&group=rec.bicycles.tech#53643

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 11:43:02 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 15:43 UTC

On 3/17/2022 2:18 AM, russellseaton1@yahoo.com wrote:

> When I was a youth, I wore contacts sometimes when riding bikes. I had the problem of sweat getting in my eyes and moving the contacts out of place. One time that happened I stopped at a house along the road and fortunately the people had saline solution from one of their kids and I was able to take the contact lens out and put it back in.

I remember being on a bike ride with a young woman back in the 1970s.
She wore hard contacts. She got a bit of dust in her eye and it bothered
her so much she almost lost control of her bike. It was honestly scary.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Contacts, glasses, riding?

<0cf25940-aa82-4008-8863-6ca16d6586e8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=53645&group=rec.bicycles.tech#53645

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 10:07:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 17:07 UTC

On Wednesday, March 16, 2022 at 10:48:33 PM UTC+1, deaco...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
>
> What does the group here do that might wear glasses or contacts riding. I wore my distance vision glasses today the older RX and I see fine and can read my Garmin 935 easily. Wearing the single contact as I have the past 10 days yields the same results. Any thoughts on this?
>
> Sunglasses are fine but I can put a nice shield on the glasses that works good too. I tend not to always need sunglasses riding. Should I be riding with eye protection regardless.
>
> The post is long but help the deacon out. Surely this group needs some glasses or at least readers to see the computer.

If you get along with contacts I would always use them while cycling. I got along with them up to 3 years ago. Because of the short sight far sight issue I have to wear glasses now. A PIA when it is raining and dark.

Lou

Re: Contacts, glasses, riding?

<00060658-e56c-4a91-b4d0-d745965e70cen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=53646&group=rec.bicycles.tech#53646

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 12:18:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: deaconmj...@gmail.com (Mark Cleary)
 by: Mark Cleary - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 19:18 UTC

On Thursday, March 17, 2022 at 12:34:34 PM UTC-5, jeff.li...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2022 14:48:32 -0700 (PDT), Mark Cleary
> <deaco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >What does the group here do that might wear glasses or contacts riding. I wore my distance vision glasses today the older RX and I see fine and can read my Garmin 935 easily. Wearing the single contact as I have the past 10 days yields the same results. Any thoughts on this?
> My vision problems are astigmatism and the beginnings of cataracts.
> What little riding I do is with my automobile driving glasses, which
> are bifocals. The main lenses are for distance viewing, while the
> lower lens is optimized for seeing the automobile dashboard, but are
> good enough for seeing the ground just ahead of the bicycle front
> wheel.
>
> What I do different is that I tweak the prescription:
> <https://www.specsexpert.com/how-to-convert-your-eyeglasses-prescription.html>
> You'll need the PD (pupillary distance) which is normally measured by
> the dispensing optician, not the optometrist. Or, you can do it
> yourself:
> <https://www.zennioptical.com/measuring-pd-infographic>
> <https://www.zennioptical.com/pd-ruler>
> <https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=PD+ruler>
>
> I paid $36 for my last pair of glasses:
> <https://www.zennioptical.com/p/acetate-plastic-rectangle-eyeglass-frames/1250?skuId=125012>
> There are probably better frames for riding, but these are the
> cheapest and work well enough for me. However, the options can be
> expensive. For example, polarized lenses add $58 to the price, so I
> use clip-on flip-up tints and polarizers. Progressive lenses could
> add about $10. Some options are mutually exclusive. In the past, it
> typically took me 2 or 3 tries to get the prescription right. On my
> last order, I got it right the first time. Delivery time was about a
> week.
>
> Getting the correct magnification (adder) for the bifocals is a
> compromise. Zenni 3 options for progressives:
> <https://www.zennioptical.com/workspace-progressives>
> 20+ft, 14ft, and 3ft. I found that 3ft was too close for seeing pot
> holes, and 14ft didn't work for reading the Android phone screen. So,
> I live with the dividing line and do not use progressive lenses.
>
> You'll probably discover that your optimum range of vision is much
> larger in bright daylight than at night. I don't have an easy answer
> except to make any necessary compromises, such as not reading your
> Garmin at night.
>
> I suggest that you take your best shot using some cheap glasses and
> then modify the prescription for what works best for you. Zenni has
> tolerable phone tech and chat support:
> <https://www.zennioptical.com/help>
>
> Good luck.
> --
> Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
> PO Box 272 http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
> Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
> Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Today I just wore the one soft contact lens for riding like have been and things are fine. I have no trouble reading the Garmin clear and easy to read so I don't need up close glasses at least riding single focal length are best option. Really the only problem now is when reading on my iphone and computer it is a bit bothersome. I don't need readers as such for almost anything except really small things. However just typing this on the computer I have the sensation that my eyes are not working together. My right eye with the soft lens has what seems to be a dull patch. This could be from the fact I have a macular pucker in that eye. It is not much and they don't do anything for it unless it gets really bad. I do have the start of cataracts in each eye but on a scale of 1 to 4 the optometrist says I am between 0 and 1. Long ways out from cataract surgery.

Tomorrow I get the 2 lens option. I am really curious to see how this will do. It will give my left eye full distance focus and for me my left eye is the good one anyhow. I think 3 years ago when I got my RX with glasses for both eyes I could see the 20/15 line but never really used the glasses because seeing 20/25 was fine. Being glasses free for everything is great but will have to see how this does. Glasses at Zenni are great deal I have used them.

my RX is
OS (left) -.75 but -1.5 of astigmatism
OD is -1.5 but only -.25 astigmatism

Deacon Mark

Re: Contacts, glasses, riding?

<t101re$vfm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=53647&group=rec.bicycles.tech#53647

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 15:23:26 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 19:23 UTC

On 3/17/2022 1:34 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2022 14:48:32 -0700 (PDT), Mark Cleary
> <deaconmjc08@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What does the group here do that might wear glasses or contacts riding. I wore my distance vision glasses today the older RX and I see fine and can read my Garmin 935 easily. Wearing the single contact as I have the past 10 days yields the same results. Any thoughts on this?
>
> My vision problems are astigmatism and the beginnings of cataracts.
> What little riding I do is with my automobile driving glasses, which
> are bifocals. The main lenses are for distance viewing, while the
> lower lens is optimized for seeing the automobile dashboard, but are
> good enough for seeing the ground just ahead of the bicycle front
> wheel.
>
> What I do different is that I tweak the prescription:
> <https://www.specsexpert.com/how-to-convert-your-eyeglasses-prescription.html>
> You'll need the PD (pupillary distance) which is normally measured by
> the dispensing optician, not the optometrist. Or, you can do it
> yourself:
> <https://www.zennioptical.com/measuring-pd-infographic>
> <https://www.zennioptical.com/pd-ruler>
> <https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=PD+ruler>
>
> I paid $36 for my last pair of glasses:
> <https://www.zennioptical.com/p/acetate-plastic-rectangle-eyeglass-frames/1250?skuId=125012>
> There are probably better frames for riding, but these are the
> cheapest and work well enough for me. However, the options can be
> expensive. For example, polarized lenses add $58 to the price, so I
> use clip-on flip-up tints and polarizers. Progressive lenses could
> add about $10. Some options are mutually exclusive. In the past, it
> typically took me 2 or 3 tries to get the prescription right. On my
> last order, I got it right the first time. Delivery time was about a
> week.
>
> Getting the correct magnification (adder) for the bifocals is a
> compromise. Zenni 3 options for progressives:
> <https://www.zennioptical.com/workspace-progressives>
> 20+ft, 14ft, and 3ft. I found that 3ft was too close for seeing pot
> holes, and 14ft didn't work for reading the Android phone screen. So,
> I live with the dividing line and do not use progressive lenses.
>
> You'll probably discover that your optimum range of vision is much
> larger in bright daylight than at night. I don't have an easy answer
> except to make any necessary compromises, such as not reading your
> Garmin at night.
>
> I suggest that you take your best shot using some cheap glasses and
> then modify the prescription for what works best for you. Zenni has
> tolerable phone tech and chat support:
> <https://www.zennioptical.com/help>

I've never gotten glasses online, but ISTM that getting progressive
lenses that way might be complicated. I remember my first ever set of
progressive lenses. The line between the distance portion of the lens
and the beginning of "progression" was set too high. It felt almost as
if I were submerged in water up to eyeball level. It was worst when
driving.

At the same time, my employer paid for a set of progressive safety
glasses for my use in machine shop, using the same prescription data.
Those came from a different supplier and were perfect.

So I returned to the first company and got them to try again. Their
second attempt was fine.

I wonder how this would be handled online.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Contacts, glasses, riding?

<t1047a$irq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=53648&group=rec.bicycles.tech#53648

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 15:03:53 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 20:03 UTC

On 3/17/2022 2:23 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> [...]
>> Zenni has
>> tolerable phone tech and chat support:
>> <https://www.zennioptical.com/help>
>
> I've never gotten glasses online, but ISTM that getting
> progressive lenses that way might be complicated. I remember
> my first ever set of progressive lenses. The line between
> the distance portion of the lens and the beginning of
> "progression" was set too high. It felt almost as if I were
> submerged in water up to eyeball level. It was worst when
> driving.
>
> At the same time, my employer paid for a set of progressive
> safety glasses for my use in machine shop, using the same
> prescription data. Those came from a different supplier and
> were perfect.
>
> So I returned to the first company and got them to try
> again. Their second attempt was fine.
>
> I wonder how this would be handled online.

Works very well with modern AI routines!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3HFwInzDaM

The question of course is 'works for whom?'

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>