From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Cutting off Stainless
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 11:22:43 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Wed, 5 Jan 2022 18:22 UTC

First off, I hate abrasives for this. Makes it a three step job. Cut,
grind, turn. If I don't grind the burr damages the turning tool. Maybe
not every one, but often enough. Yes HSS is more tolerant, but I also
have to resharpen it.

I still think a shear tool of some kind might work best for the smaller
pieces, but I also make inserts from 1-1/2 inch stainless. I would just
pre-order them cut to length (with some tolerance maybe), but of my
three best suppliers for stainless:

1. charges to much to cut.
2. Seems to have quit offering cut to length.
3. I never know when I will receive a cut length order. Last time I
canceled after 2 months.

Currently I bandsaw on the horizontal one piece at a time slightly over
length, and then face both ends to length. Since this part is used in
batches of 9 or 11 the hands on time adds up. Particularly if I sell
more than a couple of the part they go in. Its a profitable part, but I
still begrudge the time.

https://www.avg.com

Re: Cutting off Stainless

<sr4t90$8fu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5463&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5463

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Cutting off Stainless
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 13:58:18 -0600
 by: Snag - Wed, 5 Jan 2022 19:58 UTC

On 1/5/2022 12:22 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> First off, I hate abrasives for this.  Makes it a three step job.  Cut,
> grind, turn.  If I don't grind the burr damages the turning tool.  Maybe
> not every one, but often enough.  Yes HSS is more tolerant, but I also
> have to resharpen it.
>
> I still think a shear tool of some kind might work best for the smaller
> pieces, but I also make inserts from 1-1/2 inch stainless.  I would just
> pre-order them cut to length (with some tolerance maybe), but of my
> three best suppliers for stainless:
>
> 1.  charges to much to cut.
> 2.  Seems to have quit offering cut to length.
> 3.  I never know when I will receive a cut length order.  Last time I
> canceled after 2 months.
>
> Currently I bandsaw on the horizontal one piece at a time slightly over
> length, and then face both ends to length.  Since this part is used in
> batches of 9 or 11 the hands on time adds up.  Particularly if I sell
> more than a couple of the part they go in.  Its a profitable part, but I
> still begrudge the time.

That 1 1/2 inch steel , is that wide or thick ? Have you considered
plasma cutting ?
--
Snag
Let's Go Brandon !

Re: Cutting off Stainless

<sr5893$1fis$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5464&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5464

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 16:06:14 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Wed, 5 Jan 2022 23:06 UTC

On 1/5/2022 12:58 PM, Snag wrote:
> On 1/5/2022 12:22 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> First off, I hate abrasives for this.  Makes it a three step job.
>> Cut, grind, turn.  If I don't grind the burr damages the turning
>> tool.  Maybe not every one, but often enough.  Yes HSS is more
>> tolerant, but I also have to resharpen it.
>>
>> I still think a shear tool of some kind might work best for the
>> smaller pieces, but I also make inserts from 1-1/2 inch stainless.  I
>> would just pre-order them cut to length (with some tolerance maybe),
>> but of my three best suppliers for stainless:
>>
>> 1.  charges to much to cut.
>> 2.  Seems to have quit offering cut to length.
>> 3.  I never know when I will receive a cut length order.  Last time I
>> canceled after 2 months.
>>
>> Currently I bandsaw on the horizontal one piece at a time slightly
>> over length, and then face both ends to length.  Since this part is
>> used in batches of 9 or 11 the hands on time adds up.  Particularly if
>> I sell more than a couple of the part they go in.  Its a profitable
>> part, but I still begrudge the time.
>>

>   That 1 1/2 inch steel , is that wide or thick ? Have you considered
> plasma cutting ?

It would take one heck of a plasma cutter. Its 1-1/2 inch round
stainless. It would take more work to finish too I think.

https://www.avg.com

Re: Cutting off Stainless

<sr6k9r$29n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5465&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5465

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2022 06:36:56 -0500
 by: Jim Wilkins - Thu, 6 Jan 2022 11:36 UTC

https://www.detroitbandsaw.com/cutting-bundles-of-a615-steel-small-round-bars/