From: the...@panix.com (Ted Heise)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Oops
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 16:58:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ted Heise - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 16:58 UTC

As you may recall, I replaced derailer and brake cables and
housings on my tandem recently. When I did some minor change
maintenance before a ride yesterday, I discovered a strand of rear
derailer cable partially wrapped around the cassette. I snipped
off the strand just forward of the rear housing, unwound the loose
bit from the cassette, and we went on our merry way.

Thinking that the chain work and removing the cable strand from
the cassette might improve the shifting (which had been slightly
subpar), I was disappointed that didn't materialize.

When we got home I checked things out more closely and was shocked
to find this...

http://www.panix.com/~theise/cable.jpg

You can see the slot on the underside of the rear bottom bracket
where the cable *should* have been routed. Instead, it was
running over the corner of the BB--and badly frayed.

Given that I've done nothing with the cable since changing the
housing, I have to think I must not have checked the routing after
putting it all together. It seems a minor miracle the cable
didn't break while we were out riding.

--
Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA

Re: Oops

<e349dd09-97cd-4fd3-9358-417b2cee7795n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=54970&group=rec.bicycles.tech#54970

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 10:03:21 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Oops
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 17:03 UTC

On Monday, April 25, 2022 at 9:59:02 AM UTC-7, Ted Heise wrote:
> As you may recall, I replaced derailer and brake cables and
> housings on my tandem recently. When I did some minor change
> maintenance before a ride yesterday, I discovered a strand of rear
> derailer cable partially wrapped around the cassette. I snipped
> off the strand just forward of the rear housing, unwound the loose
> bit from the cassette, and we went on our merry way.
>
> Thinking that the chain work and removing the cable strand from
> the cassette might improve the shifting (which had been slightly
> subpar), I was disappointed that didn't materialize.
>
> When we got home I checked things out more closely and was shocked
> to find this...
>
> http://www.panix.com/~theise/cable.jpg
>
> You can see the slot on the underside of the rear bottom bracket
> where the cable *should* have been routed. Instead, it was
> running over the corner of the BB--and badly frayed.
>
> Given that I've done nothing with the cable since changing the
> housing, I have to think I must not have checked the routing after
> putting it all together. It seems a minor miracle the cable
> didn't break while we were out riding.
>
> --
> Ted Heise <the...@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA
I suppose that you probably should have checked it immediately when you discovered a strand around the cassette. But live and learn. At least it didn't leave you in high gear in the middle of nowhere.

Re: Oops

<slrnt6dmnd.b1k.theise@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=54973&group=rec.bicycles.tech#54973

From: the...@panix.com (Ted Heise)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 17:31:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ted Heise - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 17:31 UTC

On Mon, 25 Apr 2022 10:03:21 -0700 (PDT),
Tom Kunich <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, April 25, 2022 at 9:59:02 AM UTC-7, Ted Heise wrote:

> > You can see the slot on the underside of the rear bottom
> > bracket where the cable *should* have been routed. Instead, it
> > was running over the corner of the BB--and badly frayed.
> >
> > Given that I've done nothing with the cable since changing the
> > housing, I have to think I must not have checked the routing
> > after putting it all together. It seems a minor miracle the
> > cable didn't break while we were out riding.

> I suppose that you probably should have checked it immediately
> when you discovered a strand around the cassette. But live and
> learn. At least it didn't leave you in high gear in the middle
> of nowhere.

Oh I agree, Tom. I was swayed by the fact that my wife was ready
to go, and already been waiting while I did the chain swap. I
chose not to make her wait any longer. In retrospect, that
probably wasn't the best choice.

--
Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA

Re: Oops

<95907489-1c7a-4705-b2a0-16d38a5a7a1bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=54974&group=rec.bicycles.tech#54974

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 11:03:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 18:03 UTC

On Monday, April 25, 2022 at 10:31:28 AM UTC-7, Ted Heise wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2022 10:03:21 -0700 (PDT),
> Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Monday, April 25, 2022 at 9:59:02 AM UTC-7, Ted Heise wrote:
>
> > > You can see the slot on the underside of the rear bottom
> > > bracket where the cable *should* have been routed. Instead, it
> > > was running over the corner of the BB--and badly frayed.
> > >
> > > Given that I've done nothing with the cable since changing the
> > > housing, I have to think I must not have checked the routing
> > > after putting it all together. It seems a minor miracle the
> > > cable didn't break while we were out riding.
> > I suppose that you probably should have checked it immediately
> > when you discovered a strand around the cassette. But live and
> > learn. At least it didn't leave you in high gear in the middle
> > of nowhere.
> Oh I agree, Tom. I was swayed by the fact that my wife was ready
> to go, and already been waiting while I did the chain swap. I
> chose not to make her wait any longer. In retrospect, that
> probably wasn't the best choice.

Well, you're walking and talking. If I did that and it broke my wife would make sure I did too.

Re: Oops

<85ebf484-c5f6-45cf-88a3-fd22b69f68ffn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=54979&group=rec.bicycles.tech#54979

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 12:47:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 19:47 UTC

On Monday, April 25, 2022 at 6:59:02 PM UTC+2, Ted Heise wrote:
> As you may recall, I replaced derailer and brake cables and
> housings on my tandem recently. When I did some minor change
> maintenance before a ride yesterday, I discovered a strand of rear
> derailer cable partially wrapped around the cassette. I snipped
> off the strand just forward of the rear housing, unwound the loose
> bit from the cassette, and we went on our merry way.
>
> Thinking that the chain work and removing the cable strand from
> the cassette might improve the shifting (which had been slightly
> subpar), I was disappointed that didn't materialize.
>
> When we got home I checked things out more closely and was shocked
> to find this...
>
> http://www.panix.com/~theise/cable.jpg
>
> You can see the slot on the underside of the rear bottom bracket
> where the cable *should* have been routed. Instead, it was
> running over the corner of the BB--and badly frayed.
>
> Given that I've done nothing with the cable since changing the
> housing, I have to think I must not have checked the routing after
> putting it all together. It seems a minor miracle the cable
> didn't break while we were out riding.
>
> --
> Ted Heise <the...@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA

Shit happens. Bet it will not happen again. Lesson learned. Good thing.

Lou

Re: Oops

<709892fd-6b34-40d1-967c-cd930038ff05n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=54999&group=rec.bicycles.tech#54999

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 17:13:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 00:13 UTC

On Monday, April 25, 2022 at 12:47:51 PM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
> On Monday, April 25, 2022 at 6:59:02 PM UTC+2, Ted Heise wrote:
> > As you may recall, I replaced derailer and brake cables and
> > housings on my tandem recently. When I did some minor change
> > maintenance before a ride yesterday, I discovered a strand of rear
> > derailer cable partially wrapped around the cassette. I snipped
> > off the strand just forward of the rear housing, unwound the loose
> > bit from the cassette, and we went on our merry way.
> >
> > Thinking that the chain work and removing the cable strand from
> > the cassette might improve the shifting (which had been slightly
> > subpar), I was disappointed that didn't materialize.
> >
> > When we got home I checked things out more closely and was shocked
> > to find this...
> >
> > http://www.panix.com/~theise/cable.jpg
> >
> > You can see the slot on the underside of the rear bottom bracket
> > where the cable *should* have been routed. Instead, it was
> > running over the corner of the BB--and badly frayed.
> >
> > Given that I've done nothing with the cable since changing the
> > housing, I have to think I must not have checked the routing after
> > putting it all together. It seems a minor miracle the cable
> > didn't break while we were out riding.
> >
> > --
> > Ted Heise <the...@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA
> Shit happens. Bet it will not happen again. Lesson learned. Good thing.

I might give a suggestion: From the looks of it the inner cable caught on the edge of that slot and started breaking. Enough of it worked through that that is what threw it off of the locator slot. 1. Make sure that there are no rough spots on the slot by using jewelers files or emery cloth dampened with oil. When you install the wire, be sure and grease it well 2" either side of the slot.