Unix will self-destruct in five seconds... 4... 3... 2... 1...

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Cheap Chinese vs Expensive products

SubjectAuthor
* Cheap Chinese vs Expensive productsTom Kunich
`* Re: Cheap Chinese vs Expensive productsFrank Krygowski
 `- Re: Cheap Chinese vs Expensive productsfunkma...@hotmail.com

1
Cheap Chinese vs Expensive products

<64949505-5877-4de2-817b-bb69a0ce8b07n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55407&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55407

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 12:27:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Cheap Chinese vs Expensive products
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 4 May 2022 19:27 UTC

I took my Colnago CLX3.0 off of the shelf and canceled the listing. The bike hasn't been ridden in a full year so I charged the DI2 overnight to be ready for the Tuesday ride I was going to do with friends that went down Lucas Valley Road past Repack, the George Lucas compound with rabid guard dogs and along Highway 1 to a point where you can climb up to the Cheese Factory and then back to the parking places in Novato.

First off I had problems filling the tires since the long innertube fillers available at the time were 60 mm and the wheels are 50. So I had to use a CO2 cartridge each. The tires were 25 mm so I had to fill them pretty hard since the inflation pressure recommended by Silca is 90 lbs and I've been running a great deal less. So I was expecting a good ride.

Right out of the bin the front derailleur on the was dragging and that bothered me. Not having ridden the bike in years I couldn't remember how to correct for this. Then 2.5 miles down the bike path/road the crank fell right off. My friend went back to his car and got a 10 mm hex and we started off again and shortly thereafter the left crank fell off again. So I tightened it all the way and the cranks wouldn't turn. So I backed off only to the point where the cranks turned freely. We decided that it endangered their ride so I turned around there. With the crank at the proper tension the front derailleur noise was entirely absent.

Returning I forgot to turn the Garmin off so it showed a 45 mile ride. After considerable messing about I discovered that I could "edit" the distance down to 5 miles and did. I also removed all but 100 feet of climbing which was about correct.

Returning home I looked all over for another Dura Ace crank to match all of the other parts on the bike but there weren't any descent ones on Ebay. And I wonder how the hell those chainwheels could be so worn! Either the people selling these were incredibly hard riders or the material of the stock chainrings was awfully soft.

So I did manage to find an FSA SLK carbon crank to replace the FSA Gossamer one on the bike. If the rings on the used one aren't any good it has the same bolt pattern as the one presently on the bike which has very near zero wear.

I will pick it up at 1:30 today. All of this also caused me to take the CLX3.0 off of Ebay. I will leave it on Craigslist but don't expect a sale so I will ride the bike as part of my useable collection. This will leave the bikes I have to ride as the Trek Alpha 1.5 which is a full aluminum copy of the Trek Madone. It rides VERY nice as the 100 miles I did on it the last weekend showed - no soreness, saddle pain or neck pain. The Colnago C50 is also in this same category. I can't remember any problems with the Colnago CLX3.0 but they would certainly show up in the next couple of rides I intend to take it on.

Then I have the Cannondale Optima gravel bike that one of the stupid 5 said didn't exist. They didn't know anything about it but they had to demonstrate their intellectual capacity.

The other 4 bikes will remain listed on Ebay who are presently charging illegal sales tax on private sales of used products. This is going to bite them in the ass sooner or later. It has lost me at least one sale so far. When the buyer discovered he was going to have to pay and extra 10% he asked to cancel. So I immediately did that.

But my memory of the CLX3.0 is that it rides like a dream. Before the huge in increase in bike prices I bought the frameset new and the initial Shimano 9000 ,manual group new. I probably should have kept that group on there but I was curious about Dura Ace Di2. I had put Ultegra and GRX on another bike and it performed very well. So I wanted to see if the top of the line was an improvement. This Di2 I purchase in parts but they were all new. The original Dura Ace cranks had broken and I had lost all faith in the Dura Ace cranks but Andrew managed to convince me that the breaking of the Dura Ace and Ultegra cranks was a rare occurrence so I was going to give it another try.

The reason that the FSA crank fell off is a little unknown but probably was due to the lock ring not being properly tightened. I did purchase the proper tool to do that but I can't remember using it and when I looked at it yesterday it was still in a plastic bag. So perhaps I didn't use it. I've used a lot of FDA cranks and don't remember having any problem with them before so perhaps using the small screwdriver to lock them in worked well enough until this particular crank. So it is getting to be time to go down and get my new cranks.

Re: Cheap Chinese vs Expensive products

<18bead00-478a-4b6a-ba66-1c738e7c2121n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55429&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55429

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 18:40:15 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Cheap Chinese vs Expensive products
From: frkry...@gmail.com (Frank Krygowski)
 by: Frank Krygowski - Thu, 5 May 2022 01:40 UTC

On Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 12:27:49 PM UTC-7, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> I took my Colnago CLX3.0 off of the shelf and canceled the listing. The bike hasn't been ridden in a full year so I charged the DI2 overnight to be ready for the Tuesday ride I was going to do with friends that went down Lucas Valley Road past Repack, the George Lucas compound with rabid guard dogs and along Highway 1 to a point where you can climb up to the Cheese Factory and then back to the parking places in Novato.
>
> First off I had problems filling the tires since the long innertube fillers available at the time were 60 mm and the wheels are 50. So I had to use a CO2 cartridge each. The tires were 25 mm so I had to fill them pretty hard since the inflation pressure recommended by Silca is 90 lbs and I've been running a great deal less. So I was expecting a good ride.
>
> Right out of the bin the front derailleur on the was dragging and that bothered me. Not having ridden the bike in years I couldn't remember how to correct for this. Then 2.5 miles down the bike path/road the crank fell right off. My friend went back to his car and got a 10 mm hex and we started off again and shortly thereafter the left crank fell off again. So I tightened it all the way and the cranks wouldn't turn. So I backed off only to the point where the cranks turned freely. We decided that it endangered their ride so I turned around there. With the crank at the proper tension the front derailleur noise was entirely absent.
> > Returning I forgot to turn the Garmin off so it showed a 45 mile ride. After considerable messing about I discovered that I could "edit" the distance down to 5 miles and did. I also removed all but 100 feet of climbing which was about correct.

Wow. So, so many problems!

- Frank Krygowski

Re: Cheap Chinese vs Expensive products

<08819d8d-375f-4c0e-b808-e828e98863a9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55544&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55544

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 02:47:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Fri, 6 May 2022 09:47 UTC

On Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 9:40:16 PM UTC-4, frkr...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 12:27:49 PM UTC-7, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> > I took my Colnago CLX3.0 off of the shelf and canceled the listing. The bike hasn't been ridden in a full year so I charged the DI2 overnight to be ready for the Tuesday ride I was going to do with friends that went down Lucas Valley Road past Repack, the George Lucas compound with rabid guard dogs and along Highway 1 to a point where you can climb up to the Cheese Factory and then back to the parking places in Novato.
> >
> > First off I had problems filling the tires since the long innertube fillers available at the time were 60 mm and the wheels are 50. So I had to use a CO2 cartridge each. The tires were 25 mm so I had to fill them pretty hard since the inflation pressure recommended by Silca is 90 lbs and I've been running a great deal less. So I was expecting a good ride.
> >
> > Right out of the bin the front derailleur on the was dragging and that bothered me. Not having ridden the bike in years I couldn't remember how to correct for this. Then 2.5 miles down the bike path/road the crank fell right off. My friend went back to his car and got a 10 mm hex and we started off again and shortly thereafter the left crank fell off again. So I tightened it all the way and the cranks wouldn't turn. So I backed off only to the point where the cranks turned freely. We decided that it endangered their ride so I turned around there. With the crank at the proper tension the front derailleur noise was entirely absent.
> > > Returning I forgot to turn the Garmin off so it showed a 45 mile ride.. After considerable messing about I discovered that I could "edit" the distance down to 5 miles and did. I also removed all but 100 feet of climbing which was about correct.
> Wow. So, so many problems!
>
> - Frank Krygowski

Anyone who bought that from him would have been in for a few surprises....