Almost nothing in Perl serves a single purpose. -- Larry Wall in <199712040054.QAA13811@wall.org>

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Merlin Titanium

SubjectAuthor
* Merlin TitaniumTom Kunich
+* Re: Merlin TitaniumFrank Krygowski
|`* Re: Merlin Titaniumrussellseaton1@yahoo.com
| +* Re: Merlin TitaniumJohn B.
| |`* Re: Merlin TitaniumAMuzi
| | `* Re: Merlin TitaniumJohn B.
| |  `* Re: Merlin TitaniumAMuzi
| |   `* Re: Merlin TitaniumJohn B.
| |    `* Re: Merlin TitaniumAMuzi
| |     `- Re: Merlin TitaniumJohn B.
| `* Re: Merlin TitaniumAMuzi
|  `* Re: Merlin Titaniumrussellseaton1@yahoo.com
|   +* Re: Merlin TitaniumLuns Tee
|   |`- Re: Merlin TitaniumAMuzi
|   `* Re: Merlin TitaniumAMuzi
|    `* Re: Merlin TitaniumTom Kunich
|     `- Re: Merlin TitaniumAMuzi
`* Re: Merlin TitaniumAMuzi
 `* Re: Merlin TitaniumTom Kunich
  +- Re: Merlin TitaniumTom Kunich
  `* Re: Merlin TitaniumLuns Tee
   +* Re: Merlin TitaniumTom Kunich
   |`* Re: Merlin TitaniumAMuzi
   | +* Re: Merlin TitaniumSir Ridesalot
   | |`* Re: Merlin TitaniumAMuzi
   | | `- Re: Merlin TitaniumLou Holtman
   | `* Re: Merlin TitaniumLou Holtman
   |  `* Re: Merlin TitaniumAMuzi
   |   `* Re: Merlin TitaniumTom Kunich
   |    `* Re: Merlin TitaniumAMuzi
   |     `- Re: Merlin TitaniumTom Kunich
   `- Re: Merlin TitaniumAMuzi

Pages:12
Re: Merlin Titanium

<56t87h5unae9itua0deoj2in5f7gg6pqqd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55536&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55536

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Merlin Titanium
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 08:19:16 +0700
 by: John B. - Fri, 6 May 2022 01:19 UTC

On Thu, 05 May 2022 19:39:17 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 5/5/2022 7:22 PM, John B. wrote:

>>> Calipers are cheap. Meatware is a different matter.
>>>
>>> Seat tubes are commonly not round and often not the same
>>> size at the top as 50mm or 100mm in. Your average guy, new
>>> to measurement, will easily use his new caliper to take the
>>> wrong dimension (to two decimal places!!) draw the wrong
>>> conclusion and wreck the piece with a reamer. Sadly not an
>>> uncommon scenario.
>>>
>>> A better path would be to slip a 27.0mm post in it, see if
>>> there's play when inserted 100mm. That's a good indication
>>> you have a deformed seat tube top and not the 'wrong' size
>>> post. Much simpler than multiple snap gauge readings and
>>> fully adequate for a bicycle seatpost.
>>>
>>> https://www.ctemag.com/news/articles/measuring-snap
>>>
>>> Understatement of the year from that link, "My experience is
>>> that The L.S. Starrett Co. in Athol, Massachusetts, makes
>>> good stuff."
>>
>> At one time L.S. Starrett and Brown and Sharp were the only two
>> micrometers allowed in some of the better shops (:-)
>>

>I've never been disappointed with anything by Starrett
>(after the price shock ebbs).

Well, Massachusetts minimum wage is now $14.25 an hour and Japanese
Minimum wage is something like $8.00 an hour and Chinese minimum is as
high as $3.90/hour, in Beijing, and apparently as low as about half
that in other provinces.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Merlin Titanium

<t51tf4$4o1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55537&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55537

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 20:25:55 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Fri, 6 May 2022 01:25 UTC

On 5/5/2022 8:19 PM, John B. wrote:
> On Thu, 05 May 2022 19:39:17 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>>> At one time L.S. Starrett and Brown and Sharp were the only two
>>> micrometers allowed in some of the better shops (:-)
>>>

>> I've never been disappointed with anything by Starrett
>> (after the price shock ebbs).
>
> Well, Massachusetts minimum wage is now $14.25 an hour and Japanese
> Minimum wage is something like $8.00 an hour and Chinese minimum is as
> high as $3.90/hour, in Beijing, and apparently as low as about half
> that in other provinces.

I do own some very nice Mitutoyo tools, I'm not slighting
Japanese precision instruments. But Starrett really is
exceptional. I doubt minimum wage laws much affect price in
that category.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Re: Merlin Titanium

<e8497ht8lm7fm300tmi0lvtl5oths6t1lb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55538&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55538

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 10:18:11 +0700
References: <45a31f5b-d895-4c19-957b-c9490e7ff9dbn@googlegroups.com> <7bace574-f8b1-4601-a6cc-71d3ad23ab2fn@googlegroups.com> <a40dda00-2897-4220-a87c-1e9c685980a6n@googlegroups.com> <hdh67htlpqc5lgkjajhbucu8oj56s1g977@4ax.com> <t51ajk$16o$1@dont-email.me> <teq87h585ntivvv5ktbbeouros9khtaulr@4ax.com> <t51qnl$gci$4@dont-email.me> <56t87h5unae9itua0deoj2in5f7gg6pqqd@4ax.com> <t51tf4$4o1$1@dont-email.me>
 by: John B. - Fri, 6 May 2022 03:18 UTC

On Thu, 05 May 2022 20:25:55 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 5/5/2022 8:19 PM, John B. wrote:

>>> I've never been disappointed with anything by Starrett
>>> (after the price shock ebbs).
>>
>> Well, Massachusetts minimum wage is now $14.25 an hour and Japanese
>> Minimum wage is something like $8.00 an hour and Chinese minimum is as
>> high as $3.90/hour, in Beijing, and apparently as low as about half
>> that in other provinces.
>>

>I do own some very nice Mitutoyo tools, I'm not slighting
>Japanese precision instruments. But Starrett really is
>exceptional. I doubt minimum wage laws much affect price in
>that category.

No but it may be an indication of relative costs (and therefore
relative sales prices :-)

Japanese tools, like all Japanese products have come a long way. I
remember the first Japanese micrometers that the A.F. issued. Good
looking and seemed to work well until one of my boys somehow got a
tiny bit of steel in the threads and the micrometer "locked up". Since
the thing was no good any more we clamped it in a vice and twisted the
thimble loose and found that neither the thimble or the sleeve were
hardened steel.

But the Japanese learn fast and I'm sure that today's tools are as
good as anyone else's.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Merlin Titanium

<0fef52fe-ef18-4b3e-882e-889ddf5df1fen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55539&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55539

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 23:11:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Fri, 6 May 2022 06:11 UTC

On Friday, May 6, 2022 at 1:04:57 AM UTC+2, AMuzi wrote:
> On 5/5/2022 3:41 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

> >> If there was no deformation of the seat tube, and if the
> >> bore were clean, your 27.2mm post would have slipped into a
> >> Merlin of its own weight.
> >> --
> >> Andrew Muzi
> >> <www.yellowjersey.org/>
> >> Open every day since 1 April, 1971
> >
> > Back in the 1980's I read or was told that a well fitted seatpost would SLOWLY drop into a seattube when the seat binder bolt was loosened.
> >
> > Far too many people reach for a reamer, file or other cutting tool far too soon when faced with an overly snug seatpost.
> >
> > Another thing that I was told was that it could be quite risky to ream a thin walled 27.0mm seattube out to 27.2mm. Doing so could result in unduly thin seattube walls.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> In theory, no problem at all, assuming quality tube (which a
> 27.0 bore would be anyway). In practice, the setup for that
> is artful and guys do shoot reamers out the side of seat tubes.
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> <www.yellowjersey.org/>
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

0.2 mm play is 'enormous' in that application.

Lou

Re: Merlin Titanium

<a42f4942-af18-47c3-9fbd-78c0dbd19384n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55545&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55545

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 06:04:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 6 May 2022 13:04 UTC

On Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 4:06:06 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
> On 5/5/2022 3:49 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:

> >> If there was no deformation of the seat tube, and if the
> >> bore were clean, your 27.2mm post would have slipped into a
> >> Merlin of its own weight.
> >> --
> >
> > If the bore is exactly 27.2 mm and round a seatpost of exactly 27.2 mm and round would not ‘fit’. You need some play in the order of 0.03 mm.
> >
> > Lou
> >

> Yes that's true. For bicycle purposes seat tube bores are
> slightly oversize.

Uh, think about that. What with someone saying that the seatpost should slide in of its own weight - .03 mm is a thousands of an inch and there's NO seatpost that is so accurate that it would be able to slide into the seat tube of its own weight with a thousandths clearance! Even with the 8 thou clearance of the 27.0 the Ritchey seatpost wouldn't "slip" in.

Re: Merlin Titanium

<t53jao$9c2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55554&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55554

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 11:45:11 -0500
References: <45a31f5b-d895-4c19-957b-c9490e7ff9dbn@googlegroups.com> <t4vh9g$knv$2@dont-email.me> <c67e534f-50d1-4bbf-a46e-698c16903ed8n@googlegroups.com> <f84f56f4-b92e-432a-97ce-c6aff5225810n@googlegroups.com> <396b6bca-c435-4c37-80a5-612c8a913485n@googlegroups.com> <t51bco$65q$3@dont-email.me> <ae979280-62aa-4e1a-9612-7c516e6ee3e9n@googlegroups.com> <t51l8r$emg$3@dont-email.me> <a42f4942-af18-47c3-9fbd-78c0dbd19384n@googlegroups.com>
 by: AMuzi - Fri, 6 May 2022 16:45 UTC

On 5/6/2022 8:04 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 4:06:06 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:

>>> If the bore is exactly 27.2 mm and round a seatpost of exactly 27.2 mm and round would not ‘fit’. You need some play in the order of 0.03 mm.
>>>
>>> Lou
>>>

>> Yes that's true. For bicycle purposes seat tube bores are
>> slightly oversize.
>
> Uh, think about that. What with someone saying that the seatpost should slide in of its own weight - .03 mm is a thousands of an inch and there's NO seatpost that is so accurate that it would be able to slide into the seat tube of its own weight with a thousandths clearance! Even with the 8 thou clearance of the 27.0 the Ritchey seatpost wouldn't "slip" in.

They do when dry and clean.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Merlin Titanium

<d655831c-08ae-4546-a490-51bf74d42619n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55565&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55565

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 11:06:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 6 May 2022 18:06 UTC

On Friday, May 6, 2022 at 9:45:15 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
> On 5/6/2022 8:04 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:

> >> Yes that's true. For bicycle purposes seat tube bores are
> >> slightly oversize.
> >
> > Uh, think about that. What with someone saying that the seatpost should slide in of its own weight - .03 mm is a thousands of an inch and there's NO seatpost that is so accurate that it would be able to slide into the seat tube of its own weight with a thousandths clearance! Even with the 8 thou clearance of the 27.0 the Ritchey seatpost wouldn't "slip" in.
> >
> They do when dry and clean.

Well, I've never seen one that would. Though using the exception of "dry and clean" does seem to be stretching thing don't you think? You couldn't have it clean if there were every a prior seatpost. At least in my experience. None of my other bikes have offered any excessive force to insert the seatpost. Well, let me correct that. That titanium seatpost I had would not insert but it was .3 mm out of round.