Entropy requires no maintenance. -- Markoff Chaney

tech / alt.astronomy / Re: Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeing the Earth from space

SubjectAuthor
* Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeing thea425couple
`* Re: Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeing the Earth fJim Wilkins
 `* Re: Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeingDaniel65
  +* Re: Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeinga425couple
  |`- Re: Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeingDaniel65
  `* Re: Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeing the Earth fJim Wilkins
   `* Re: Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeingDaniel65
    `* Re: Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeing the Earth fJim Wilkins
     `* Re: Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeingDaniel65
      +- Re: Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeing the Earth fJim Wilkins
      `* Re: Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeingPeter Stickney
       +- Re: Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeing the Earth fJim Wilkins
       `- Re: Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeing the Earth fDavid Lesher

1
Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeing the Earth from space

<Oi89N.36183$Ycdc.9022@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5527&group=alt.astronomy#5527

Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,rec.aviation.military,alt.fan.heinlein
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeing the
Earth from space
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 13:59:09 -0800
 by: a425couple - Mon, 27 Nov 2023 21:59 UTC

from
https://www.upworthy.com/astronaut-shares-big-lie-space-rp3

Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeing the
Earth from space
This change in perspective could change humanity.
Tod Perry11.18.23
earth, overview effect, ron garan
via Rubén Moreno Montolíu/Flickr
Our home, from space.

Sixty-one years ago, Yuri Gagarin became the first human to make it into
space and probably the first to experience what scientists now call the
"overview effect." This change occurs when people see the world from far
above and notice that it’s a place where “borders are invisible, where
racial, religious and economic strife are nowhere to be seen.”

The overview effect makes man’s squabbles with one another seem
incredibly petty and presents the planet as it truly is, one
interconnected organism.

In a compelling interview with Big Think, astronaut, author and
humanitarian Ron Garan explains how if more of us developed this
planetary perspective we could fix much of what ails humanity and the
planet.

Garan has spent 178 days in space and traveled more than 71 million
miles in 2,842 orbits. From high above, he realized that the planet is a
lot more fragile than he thought.

“When I looked out the window of the International Space Station, I saw
the paparazzi-like flashes of lightning storms, I saw dancing curtains
of auroras that seemed so close it was as if we could reach out and
touch them. And I saw the unbelievable thinness of our planet's
atmosphere. In that moment, I was hit with the sobering realization that
that paper-thin layer keeps every living thing on our planet alive,”
Garan said in the video.

“I saw an iridescent biosphere teeming with life,” he continues. “I
didn't see the economy. But since our human-made systems treat
everything, including the very life-support systems of our planet, as
the wholly owned subsidiary of the global economy, it's obvious from the
vantage point of space that we're living a lie.”

It was at that moment he realized that humanity needs to reevaluate its
priorities.

“We need to move from thinking economy, society, planet to planet,
society, economy. That's when we're going to continue our evolutionary
process,” he added.

Garan says that we are paying a very “high price” as a civilization for
our inability to develop a more planetary perspective and that it’s a
big reason why we’re failing to solve many of our problems. Even though
our economic activity may improve quality of life on one end, it’s also
disasterous for the planet that sustains our lives.

It’s like cutting off our nose to spite our face.

Actor William Shatner had a similar experience to Garan's when he
traveled into space.

"It was among the strongest feelings of grief I have ever encountered,"
Shatner wrote. "The contrast between the vicious coldness of space and
the warm nurturing of Earth below filled me with overwhelming sadness.
Every day, we are confronted with the knowledge of further destruction
of Earth at our hands: the extinction of animal species, of flora and
fauna … things that took five billion years to evolve, and suddenly we
will never see them again because of the interference of mankind."

“We're not going to have peace on Earth until we recognize the basic
fact of the interrelated structure of all reality,” Garan said.

However dire the situation looks from the surface of Earth, the
astronaut has hope that we can collectively evolve in consciousness and
wake up and embrace a larger reality. “And when we can evolve beyond a
two-dimensional us versus them mindset, and embrace the true
multi-dimensional reality of the universe that we live in, that's when
we're going to no longer be floating in darkness … and it's a future
that we would all want to be a part of. That's our true calling.”

This article originally appeared on 12.16.22

From Your Site Articles
101 ways to take care of yourself when the world feels overwhelming. ›
That feeling you get when you stare at a photograph of the Earth in
space has a name. ›
William Shatner realized the beauty of earth during space trip and ... ›

Re: Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeing the Earth from space

<uk557r$bjnf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5528&group=alt.astronomy#5528

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,rec.aviation.military,alt.fan.heinlein
Subject: Re: Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeing the Earth from space
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 11:41:21 -0500
 by: Jim Wilkins - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 16:41 UTC

"a425couple" wrote in message news:Oi89N.36183$Ycdc.9022@fx09.iad...

from
https://www.upworthy.com/astronaut-shares-big-lie-space-rp3

Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeing the
Earth from space
This change in perspective could change humanity....

-------------------------------------

I might believe we are ready to change when I see laundry drying on
clotheslines instead of by gas or electricity. I practice what they preach
and it's definitely less convenient than the fully automated lifestyle we've
become used to.

Re: Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeing the Earth from space

<uk5qjh$f2em$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5529&group=alt.astronomy#5529

From: danie...@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,rec.aviation.military,alt.fan.heinlein
Subject: Re: Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeing
the Earth from space
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 09:46:09 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 22:46 UTC

Jim Wilkins wrote on 29/11/23 3:41 am:
> "a425couple"  wrote in message news:Oi89N.36183$Ycdc.9022@fx09.iad...
>
> from
> https://www.upworthy.com/astronaut-shares-big-lie-space-rp3
>
> Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeing the
> Earth from space
> This change in perspective could change humanity....
>
> -------------------------------------
>
> I might believe we are ready to change when I see laundry drying on
> clotheslines instead of by gas or electricity. I practice what they
> preach and it's definitely less convenient than the fully automated
> lifestyle we've become used to.

You need to focus your space-camera on my backyard, then. Clothes out on
the line for a week or so .... yes, it has rained over the last couple
of days!!

An Extra-special final rinse, as I refer to it!! ;-)
--
Daniel

Re: Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeing the Earth from space

<PIu9N.106086$AqO5.40058@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5532&group=alt.astronomy#5532

the Earth from space
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,rec.aviation.military,alt.fan.heinlein
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:28:46 -0800
 by: a425couple - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 23:28 UTC

On 11/28/23 14:46, Daniel65 wrote:
> Jim Wilkins wrote on 29/11/23 3:41 am:
>> "a425couple"  wrote in message news:Oi89N.36183$Ycdc.9022@fx09.iad...
>>
>> from
>> https://www.upworthy.com/astronaut-shares-big-lie-space-rp3
>>
>> Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeing the
>> Earth from space
>> This change in perspective could change humanity....
>>
>> -------------------------------------
>>
>> I might believe we are ready to change when I see laundry drying on
>> clotheslines instead of by gas or electricity. I practice what they
>> preach and it's definitely less convenient than the fully automated
>> lifestyle we've become used to.
>>
> You need to focus your space-camera on my backyard, then. Clothes out on
> the line for a week or so .... yes, it has rained over the last couple
> of days!!
>
> An Extra-special final rinse, as I refer to it!! ;-)

I am afraid that leaving them out here in the rain in the
Pacific Northwest would tend to get them moldy or mildewed.

That would certainly qualify as "less convenient" !!

Re: Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeing the Earth from space

<uk79sd$qocj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5533&group=alt.astronomy#5533

From: danie...@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,rec.aviation.military,alt.fan.heinlein
the Earth from space
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 23:13:01 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 12:13 UTC

a425couple wrote on 29/11/23 10:28 am:
> On 11/28/23 14:46, Daniel65 wrote:
>> Jim Wilkins wrote on 29/11/23 3:41 am:
>>> "a425couple"  wrote in message news:Oi89N.36183$Ycdc.9022@fx09.iad...
>>>
>>> from
>>> https://www.upworthy.com/astronaut-shares-big-lie-space-rp3
>>>
>>> Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeing the
>>> Earth from space
>>> This change in perspective could change humanity....
>>>
>>> -------------------------------------
>>>
>>> I might believe we are ready to change when I see laundry drying on
>>> clotheslines instead of by gas or electricity. I practice what they
>>> preach and it's definitely less convenient than the fully automated
>>> lifestyle we've become used to.
>>>
>> You need to focus your space-camera on my backyard, then. Clothes out
>> on the line for a week or so .... yes, it has rained over the last
>> couple of days!!
>>
>> An Extra-special final rinse, as I refer to it!! ;-)
>
> I am afraid that leaving them out here in the rain in the
> Pacific Northwest would tend to get them moldy or mildewed.

eewwwwe!!

> That would certainly qualify as "less convenient" !!

Just as well I'm not there, then! ;-P
--
Daniel

Re: Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeing the Earth from space

<uk7n9p$t7jt$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5534&group=alt.astronomy#5534

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,rec.aviation.military,alt.fan.heinlein
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 07:38:09 -0500
 by: Jim Wilkins - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 12:38 UTC

"Daniel65" wrote in message news:uk5qjh$f2em$1@dont-email.me...

Jim Wilkins wrote on 29/11/23 3:41 am:
> I might believe we are ready to change when I see laundry drying on
> clotheslines instead of by gas or electricity.
You need to focus your space-camera on my backyard, then. Clothes out on
the line for a week or so .... yes, it has rained over the last couple
of days!!

An Extra-special final rinse, as I refer to it!! ;-)
--
Daniel

------------------------

I (re-)built a 4' wide roof extension over my back deck and hang laundry
under it when the weather is questionable.
4' is 1/2 of a standard 8' corrugated plastic or steel roofing panel.
Polycarbonate panels are my preference for appearance, durability and
relative quiet, though I use steel on sheds. I hinged it to the house so it
hangs vertical while I screw on the panels from a stepladder, instead of
having to climb onto it. Originally it had been nailed to a header on the
soffit and had partly pulled loose from flexing under heavy snow loads, the
hinges aren't affected. The supporting posts are also hinged to the deck
handrail and roof beam, with loose pin hinges to make them easy to swing
down to lower the roof to repair falling branch damage.

Re: Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeing the Earth from space

<uk9kcn$1a9u8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5535&group=alt.astronomy#5535

From: danie...@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,rec.aviation.military,alt.fan.heinlein
the Earth from space
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 20:24:37 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 09:24 UTC

Jim Wilkins wrote on 29/11/23 11:38 pm:
>> "Daniel65" wrote in message news:uk5qjh$f2em$1@dont-email.me...
>>
>> Jim Wilkins wrote on 29/11/23 3:41 am:
>>> I might believe we are ready to change when I see laundry drying on
>>< clotheslines instead of by gas or electricity.
>> You need to focus your space-camera on my backyard, then. Clothes out
>> on the line for a week or so .... yes, it has rained over the last
>> couple of days!!
> >
>> An Extra-special final rinse, as I refer to it!! ;-)

> I (re-)built a 4' wide roof extension over my back deck and hang
> laundry under it when the weather is questionable.

> 4' is 1/2 of a standard 8' corrugated plastic or steel roofing panel.
> Polycarbonate panels are my preference for appearance, durability and
> relative quiet, though I use steel on sheds. I hinged it to the house
> so it hangs vertical while I screw on the panels from a stepladder,
> instead of having to climb onto it. Originally it had been nailed to a
> header on the soffit and had partly pulled loose from flexing under
> heavy snow loads, the hinges aren't affected. The supporting posts are
> also hinged to the deck handrail and roof beam, with loose pin hinges
> to make them easy to swing down to lower the roof to repair falling
> branch damage.

There's your problem .... get rid of the trees! No more falling branches!!
--
Daniel

Re: Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeing the Earth from space

<uk9uik$1bq8b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5536&group=alt.astronomy#5536

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,rec.aviation.military,alt.fan.heinlein
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 07:18:17 -0500
 by: Jim Wilkins - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 12:18 UTC

"Daniel65" wrote in message news:uk9kcn$1a9u8$1@dont-email.me...

Jim Wilkins wrote on 29/11/23 11:38 pm:
>...to lower the roof to repair falling branch damage.

There's your problem .... get rid of the trees! No more falling branches!!
--
Daniel

---------------------------

I have been, five this fall for nearly $1000 each. Working close to the
house, street and power lines required a -large- crane plus two log handlers
which greatly increased the cost. I kept the oak trunks to saw into beams
and boards and the larger branches for firewood. The largest section that
the crane lifted weighs over 4000 Lbs, the lighter end of it is above the
range of my 1000KG (2204 Lb) weighing scale. A neighbor's bucket loader
could roll it but not lift one end. My 1-1/2 ton chain hoist was able to
lift it onto timbers for the winter, one end at a time.

Re: Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeing the Earth from space

<uka022$1c1b8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5537&group=alt.astronomy#5537

From: danie...@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,rec.aviation.military,alt.fan.heinlein
the Earth from space
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 23:43:44 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 12:43 UTC

Jim Wilkins wrote on 30/11/23 11:18 pm:
>> "Daniel65" wrote in message news:uk9kcn$1a9u8$1@dont-email.me...
>> Jim Wilkins wrote on 29/11/23 11:38 pm:
>>> ...to lower the roof to repair falling branch damage.
>>
>> There's your problem .... get rid of the trees! No more falling
>> branches!!
>
> I have been, five this fall for nearly $1000 each. Working close to
> the house, street and power lines required a -large- crane plus two
> log handlers which greatly increased the cost. I kept the oak trunks
> to saw into beams and boards and the larger branches for firewood.
> The largest section that the crane lifted weighs over 4000 Lbs, the
> lighter end of it is above the range of my 1000KG (2204 Lb) weighing
> scale. A neighbour's bucket loader could roll it but not lift one end.
> My 1-1/2 ton chain hoist was able to lift it onto timbers for the
> winter, one end at a time.

Bloody hell!! Jim, what sort of neighbourhood do you live in?? Rural
Country, I'm guessing! "A neighbour's bucket loader"!! Sure!! Everyone's
neighbours got one of them in the back shed!! ;-P
--
Daniel

Re: Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeing the Earth from space

<uka41s$1cml6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5538&group=alt.astronomy#5538

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,rec.aviation.military,alt.fan.heinlein
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 08:51:45 -0500
 by: Jim Wilkins - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 13:51 UTC

"Daniel65" wrote in message news:uka022$1c1b8$1@dont-email.me...

Bloody hell!! Jim, what sort of neighbourhood do you live in?? Rural
Country, I'm guessing! "A neighbour's bucket loader"!! Sure!! Everyone's
neighbours got one of them in the back shed!! ;-P
--
Daniel

---------------------------

I'm in town, with water, sewer and gas lines in the street, cable and fiber
above it. Not every neighbor has a bucket loader but there are at least two
more within a mile, one way, plus machine tools and welding equipment. NH
residents tend to be more independent and self-reliant than I've seen in
other areas such as right across the border in MA. Here nearly everyone I
know owns a generator and chainsaw, at work in MA Googling "chainsaw" for
info was blocked as a dangerous weapon.

We certainly have doctor/lawyer/banker neighborhoods where opening your
car's hood attracts notice. I've lived in one, next door high school friends
drove a BMW and an XKE. In this one most drive big pickups.

Re: Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeing the Earth from space

<ukepu3$29p7k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5545&group=alt.astronomy#5545

Followup: alt.astronomy,rec.aviation.military,alt.fan.heinlein
From: p_stick...@verizon.net (Peter Stickney)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,rec.aviation.military,alt.fan.heinlein
the Earth from space
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 08:29:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter Stickney - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 08:29 UTC

On Thu, 30 Nov 2023 23:43:44 +1100, Daniel65 wrote:

> Jim Wilkins wrote on 30/11/23 11:18 pm:
>>>
>>> There's your problem .... get rid of the trees! No more falling
>>> branches!!
> >
> > I have been, five this fall for nearly $1000 each. Working close to
> > the house, street and power lines required a -large- crane plus two
> > log handlers which greatly increased the cost. I kept the oak trunks
> > to saw into beams and boards and the larger branches for firewood.
> > The largest section that the crane lifted weighs over 4000 Lbs, the
> > lighter end of it is above the range of my 1000KG (2204 Lb) weighing
> > scale. A neighbour's bucket loader could roll it but not lift one
> > end.
> > My 1-1/2 ton chain hoist was able to lift it onto timbers for the
> > winter, one end at a time.
>
> Bloody hell!! Jim, what sort of neighbourhood do you live in?? Rural
> Country, I'm guessing! "A neighbour's bucket loader"!! Sure!! Everyone's
> neighbours got one of them in the back shed!! ;-P

Mr. Wilkins is, or was (It's been a while) a resident of New Hampshire.
The things we have the most of is rocks, trees, and water. Well, that, in
ingenuity too. When I was still back up at home, calling up something
like a Bucket Loader or 3 was no problem - or my Uncle's TD 25 with not
only the loader, but a backhoe as well.
Before I headed for Florida, I was right outside the largest city,
(Manchester), with 12 acres and a beaver pond. I miss it.
Now my youngest brother, he lives out in the woods, with a bear den on the
other side of the stone wall behind his house.

I know a guy back home who flies his DC-3 out of his back field - we
always considered him a bit eccentric.

Jim, are you still doing any battery stuff?

--
Peter Stickney
Java Man knew nothing about coffee

Re: Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeing the Earth from space

<ukgjel$2ifn8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5553&group=alt.astronomy#5553

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,rec.aviation.military,alt.fan.heinlein
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 19:51:21 -0500
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 00:51 UTC

"Peter Stickney" wrote in message news:ukepu3$29p7k$1@dont-email.me...

Jim, are you still doing any battery stuff?
------------------------

Oh, yes, I've been looking at LiFePO4 for solar. Unlike lead-acid, the
charging system voltage bounces when the BMS suddenly stops accepting
charging current.

Re: Astronaut shares the profound 'big lie' he realized after seeing the Earth from space

<ulf6dv$9t$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5559&group=alt.astronomy#5559

From: wb8...@panix.com (David Lesher)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,rec.aviation.military,alt.fan.heinlein
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 15:19:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: David Lesher - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 15:19 UTC

Peter Stickney <p_stickney@verizon.net> writes:

>Mr. Wilkins is, or was (It's been a while) a resident of New Hampshire.
>The things we have the most of is rocks, trees, and water.

Err, you forgot the #1: mud....

--
A host is a host from coast to coast...............wb8foz@panix.com