To err is human, to moo bovine.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Rear Changer Fashion Update

SubjectAuthor
* Rear Changer Fashion UpdateAMuzi
+* Re: Rear Changer Fashion UpdateTom Kunich
`* Re: Rear Changer Fashion Updaterussellseaton1@yahoo.com
 +- Re: Rear Changer Fashion UpdateAMuzi
 +- Re: Rear Changer Fashion UpdateAMuzi
 +- Re: Rear Changer Fashion UpdateJohn B.
 `* Re: Rear Changer Fashion UpdateLou Holtman
  `* Re: Rear Changer Fashion UpdateAMuzi
   `* Re: Rear Changer Fashion UpdateJohn B.
    `* Re: Rear Changer Fashion UpdateFrank Krygowski
     `- Re: Rear Changer Fashion UpdateJohn B.

Pages:12
Re: Rear Changer Fashion Update

<d50bd121-1fea-4222-8add-65c23fe5449bn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55541&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55541

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 23:24:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Rear Changer Fashion Update
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Fri, 6 May 2022 06:24 UTC

On Friday, May 6, 2022 at 1:05:54 AM UTC+2, russellseaton1@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 1:23:03 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
> > Priced to move at under $625 Euros!
> >
> > https://www.dream-bikes.it/shop_17/en/rear-derailleurs/711-ingrid-rd1-rear-derailleur-limited-edition-le-rasta.html
> >
> > Tech note:
> > Page down to the shifter compatibility and modular cable
> > fin/ cage assembly chart!
> > --
> > Andrew Muzi
> > <www.yellowjersey.org/>
> > Open every day since 1 April, 1971
> Disregarding all of the ethnic, nationality comments, I do find it odd that a $650 CNC rear derailleur cannot be shifted by Dura Ace 9000 series STI levers. Or Shimano 105. Maybe not Ultegra either. I looked up the shifter models it was not compatible with and came up with a few time trial bar ones and others that were not even real parts. Maybe some misspelling or lack of knowledge by the company selling the part.
>
> Which leads me to wonder, who exactly are the customers this company is targeting if their $650 rear derailleur is not compatible with Shimano Dura Ace STI shifters? If you are not rich enough to ride Dura Ace levers, how can you afford a $650 rear derailleur?

Never mind the price. What I read is that it is rebuildable when parts wear out or get damaged. In principle a good thing, Frank will like that. What I'm questioning is whether that will be the case over 10-15 years? I doubt that. Well they can save the CAD and CNC files, but at that time CNC machines will use different file format.

Lou

Re: Rear Changer Fashion Update

<f84def53-db8d-4eaa-b2b8-0e745cc316dbn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55542&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55542

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 02:38:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Fri, 6 May 2022 09:38 UTC

On Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 8:39:14 PM UTC-4, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 1:52:27 PM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:

> > > It's a disrespectful name for Italians and the sort of thing that Americans do to all races, creeds and colors and means absolutely nothing more than what would happen in any barracks between each other.
> > Maybe you ‘Americans’ should stop doing that.
> That appears to be the habit and it is unlikely to change - you need only read the comments of flunky and Frank to see an almost entire lack of respect for anyone other than themselves.

lol...sure sparky, you go with that.....

Re: Rear Changer Fashion Update

<t536o1$vko$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55546&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55546

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 08:10:23 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Fri, 6 May 2022 13:10 UTC

On 5/6/2022 1:24 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:
> On Friday, May 6, 2022 at 1:05:54 AM UTC+2, russellseaton1@yahoo.com wrote:
>> On Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 1:23:03 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
>>> Priced to move at under $625 Euros!
>>>
>>> https://www.dream-bikes.it/shop_17/en/rear-derailleurs/711-ingrid-rd1-rear-derailleur-limited-edition-le-rasta.html
>>>
>>> Tech note:
>>> Page down to the shifter compatibility and modular cable
>>> fin/ cage assembly chart!

>> Disregarding all of the ethnic, nationality comments, I do find it odd that a $650 CNC rear derailleur cannot be shifted by Dura Ace 9000 series STI levers. Or Shimano 105. Maybe not Ultegra either. I looked up the shifter models it was not compatible with and came up with a few time trial bar ones and others that were not even real parts. Maybe some misspelling or lack of knowledge by the company selling the part.
>>
>> Which leads me to wonder, who exactly are the customers this company is targeting if their $650 rear derailleur is not compatible with Shimano Dura Ace STI shifters? If you are not rich enough to ride Dura Ace levers, how can you afford a $650 rear derailleur?
>

> Never mind the price. What I read is that it is rebuildable when parts wear out or get damaged. In principle a good thing, Frank will like that. What I'm questioning is whether that will be the case over 10-15 years? I doubt that. Well they can save the CAD and CNC files, but at that time CNC machines will use different file format.
>
> Lou

For your average dilettante rider, probably not. But when
something is viewed as important anything is possible. in
the 1980s, the mujahideen kept ancient Mosin-Nagants
operable with parts worked over an open fire and hand filed.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Rear Changer Fashion Update

<t53cim$fr9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55548&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55548

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 10:49:57 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Fri, 6 May 2022 14:49 UTC

On 5/5/2022 8:47 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Thursday, May 5, 2022 at 4:11:48 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
>> On 5/5/2022 5:51 PM, John B. wrote:

>>> Actually, it has been my experience that all groups of people, whether
>>> nationalities or tribes have terms that they use for outsiders.
>>> The U.S., I suspect, have more then most other societies largely
>>> because the population is essentially totally made up of "foreigners"
>>> and thus nearly everyone is an outsider to some other group.
>>>
>> +1
>> --
>> Andrew Muzi
>> <www.yellowjersey.org/>
>> Open every day since 1 April, 1971
>
> Well, for once I have to agree with John. The fact is that this isn't an American practice but international whether it be Africa, Australia or Sicily. I've even heard native Swiss making snide remarks about the French. The only way to handle it is to take it for what it is worth - nothing but a joke at the expense of someone else.

I can suggest a different way to handle it. Tom should visit some rust
belt city with a large Italian-American population, one with plenty of
people who are proud of their Italian heritage.

He should then seek out an old neighborhood bar, one frequented by
Italian-American steelworkers, construction guys or other blue collar
workers.

And while there he should start making "Wop" jokes.

I think he'd get some badly needed education very quickly.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Rear Changer Fashion Update

<v59b7htd6h6f9d97krqlmhiptdkttavg5j@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55580&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55580

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 05:49:15 +0700
 by: John B. - Fri, 6 May 2022 22:49 UTC

On Fri, 06 May 2022 08:10:23 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 5/6/2022 1:24 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:

>>> Disregarding all of the ethnic, nationality comments, I do find it odd that a $650 CNC rear derailleur cannot be shifted by Dura Ace 9000 series STI levers. Or Shimano 105. Maybe not Ultegra either. I looked up the shifter models it was not compatible with and came up with a few time trial bar ones and others that were not even real parts. Maybe some misspelling or lack of knowledge by the company selling the part.
>>>
>>> Which leads me to wonder, who exactly are the customers this company is targeting if their $650 rear derailleur is not compatible with Shimano Dura Ace STI shifters? If you are not rich enough to ride Dura Ace levers, how can you afford a $650 rear derailleur?
>>

>> Never mind the price. What I read is that it is rebuildable when parts wear out or get damaged. In principle a good thing, Frank will like that. What I'm questioning is whether that will be the case over 10-15 years? I doubt that. Well they can save the CAD and CNC files, but at that time CNC machines will use different file format.
>>
>> Lou
>>

>For your average dilettante rider, probably not. But when
>something is viewed as important anything is possible. in
>the 1980s, the mujahideen kept ancient Mosin-Nagants
>operable with parts worked over an open fire and hand filed.

But in 10 or 15 years how many will want to use such an outmoded
device as a 11 or 12 speed bicycle. The "current" models by then will
have to be at least 15 speed (:-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Rear Changer Fashion Update

<t54cl2$7rg$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55587&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55587

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 19:57:22 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Fri, 6 May 2022 23:57 UTC

On 5/6/2022 6:49 PM, John B. wrote:
> On Fri, 06 May 2022 08:10:23 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>>> Never mind the price. What I read is that it is rebuildable when parts wear out or get damaged. In principle a good thing, Frank will like that. What I'm questioning is whether that will be the case over 10-15 years? I doubt that. Well they can save the CAD and CNC files, but at that time CNC machines will use different file format.
>>>
>>> Lou
>>>

>> For your average dilettante rider, probably not. But when
>> something is viewed as important anything is possible. in
>> the 1980s, the mujahideen kept ancient Mosin-Nagants
>> operable with parts worked over an open fire and hand filed.
>
> But in 10 or 15 years how many will want to use such an outmoded
> device as a 11 or 12 speed bicycle. The "current" models by then will
> have to be at least 15 speed (:-)

Hah! My favorite bike has 15 speeds! It dates from 1986.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Rear Changer Fashion Update

<m1fb7h9ffr05p843h9igt8cj7qaog0jt56@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55590&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55590

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 07:25:37 +0700
 by: John B. - Sat, 7 May 2022 00:25 UTC

On Fri, 6 May 2022 19:57:22 -0400, Frank Krygowski
<frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 5/6/2022 6:49 PM, John B. wrote:

>>> For your average dilettante rider, probably not. But when
>>> something is viewed as important anything is possible. in
>>> the 1980s, the mujahideen kept ancient Mosin-Nagants
>>> operable with parts worked over an open fire and hand filed.
>>
>> But in 10 or 15 years how many will want to use such an outmoded
>> device as a 11 or 12 speed bicycle. The "current" models by then will
>> have to be at least 15 speed (:-)
>
>Hah! My favorite bike has 15 speeds! It dates from 1986.

Well, I have a 27 speed bike, but you knew what I meant (:-)
--
Cheers,

John B.