Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 12:44:11 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Shamal Wheels
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 9 May 2022 19:44 UTC

Well this morning before the Sun came up I went down into the garage and lifted the Colnago CLX3.0 down off of the roof hangers and started to work on it.

I removed the deep V carbon aero wheels, removed the quick release, pulled the 11 speed cassette from it and carefully slipped the entire cassette onto the new Shamal rear wheel tightened the lock ring reinserted the Shamal quick release and installed it on the rear of the Colnago.

I then replaced the front wheel as well and pumped both of them up to my Silca inflation computer pressure of 75 PSI. The Dura Ace brake pads were for the Carbon brake tracks on the old wheels so I replaced them with new Zukka brake pads which also took up the room from the wear of the carbon pads. While the pad holders of the Dura Ace brakes are slightly better than those of the Zukka brakes the difference is nearly undetectable and the Chinese holders are lighter by perhaps a gram for the set. I put the Dura Ace holders aside for the future. They had a set of the Chinese carbon brake pads in them that need replacing since all of my wheels have reverted to aluminum braking surfaces.

Campagnolo makes carbon brake pads that work nearly as good as my aluminum wheel brakes but I don't know about the long term wear characteristics.

After reassembly the Di2 seemed dead. I was worried that perhaps the battery had gone south. But then the front derailleur worked properly. Closer inspection showed that in the process of pulling and reinserting the rear wheel the wire had become unplugged. And I can't find the plastic insertion tool. So I plugged it in by hand and it appeared to go in all the way. Pulling on it moderately didn't cause it to disconnect.

This cured the rear derailleur problem and if I have to pull the wheels to repair a flat (unlikely) I will have to keep and eye on that. The wire that runs from the connector in near the BB and goes over the BB and out the rear chainstay to the derailleur isn't a long as it should be but the next longer size was unavailable. So the wire is just long enough but JUST. And I don't know if the next longer wire wouldn't pull back and get tangled in the bottom bracket. If I have any more problems with the Evo BB on the Colnago, I will pull the whole thing off and replace it with an ISIS setup I have.. Since that BB is sealed the wire routing won't be a problem.

I then cleaned all of the dirt off of the Trek. I don't know where that came from because it wouldn't wipe off with a damp towel so I had to use special bike cleaner and then Bike Lust to bring the shine back to the finish.

Saturday morning i replaced the rear Vittoria Corsa 2+ with a new Continental Gran Prix 4 seasons. These things have horrible rolling resistance but they are flat proof and wear a long time.

Since I have just built the Colnago C50 I now have my 3 riders in good condition. Well, not counting my Cannondale gravel bike and my Backroads touring bike. I suppose I should bring the Backroads into good condition and then use it for a grocery bike but I'll have to see about that. I would still need to get a heavy lock to lock the Backroads to the gas pipes on the store so that it isn't stolen while I'm in the store. California has now become a thieves paradise. More joy from Democrats.