The trouble with computers is that they do what you tell them, not what you want. -- D. Cohen

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Pain the ball of foot any takers?

SubjectAuthor
* Pain the ball of foot any takers?Mark Cleary
+- Re: Pain the ball of foot any takers?AMuzi
+- Re: Pain the ball of foot any takers?Tom Kunich
`- Re: Pain the ball of foot any takers?Roger Merriman

1
Pain the ball of foot any takers?

<0c9049fb-d6d7-498f-99aa-ff6263665d99n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55941&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55941

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 11:43:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Pain the ball of foot any takers?
From: deaconmj...@gmail.com (Mark Cleary)
 by: Mark Cleary - Thu, 12 May 2022 18:43 UTC

I have been riding a lot so now I have some hot/pain spots on my feet. Mostly on the right foot in the ball of the foot under the 3-4 metatarsal, I can ride but it comes and goes but getting bit worse. Anyone here get this and what might they have done? My options seem to be move the cleat more toward the center of the shoe but I have them about as far toward the rear of the shoe as I can get them. I could try some metatarsal pads I have seen or try to make my own with some type of form rubber. I have had this off and on in the past and usually it goes away but I would like to get it under control. Probably someone has had this.
Deacon Mark

Re: Pain the ball of foot any takers?

<t5jks7$ts2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55943&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55943

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Pain the ball of foot any takers?
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 13:49:39 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Thu, 12 May 2022 18:49 UTC

On 5/12/2022 1:43 PM, Mark Cleary wrote:
> I have been riding a lot so now I have some hot/pain spots on my feet. Mostly on the right foot in the ball of the foot under the 3-4 metatarsal, I can ride but it comes and goes but getting bit worse. Anyone here get this and what might they have done? My options seem to be move the cleat more toward the center of the shoe but I have them about as far toward the rear of the shoe as I can get them. I could try some metatarsal pads I have seen or try to make my own with some type of form rubber. I have had this off and on in the past and usually it goes away but I would like to get it under control. Probably someone has had this.
> Deacon Mark

1. We don't practice medicine without a license here.

I might offer that it's still early season for
midwesterners. Also, ensure your shoes are not adjusted too
tightly, which gives that symptom.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Re: Pain the ball of foot any takers?

<5fbdc905-be63-4ca2-af1b-57d9da7f3a86n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55945&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55945

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 11:54:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 12 May 2022 18:54 UTC

On Thursday, May 12, 2022 at 11:43:16 AM UTC-7, deaco...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have been riding a lot so now I have some hot/pain spots on my feet. Mostly on the right foot in the ball of the foot under the 3-4 metatarsal, I can ride but it comes and goes but getting bit worse. Anyone here get this and what might they have done? My options seem to be move the cleat more toward the center of the shoe but I have them about as far toward the rear of the shoe as I can get them. I could try some metatarsal pads I have seen or try to make my own with some type of form rubber. I have had this off and on in the past and usually it goes away but I would like to get it under control. Probably someone has had this.
> Deacon Mark

The most common cause of that particular problem is soft soled riding shoes.. I get exactly the same pain when I was riding with off-road tennis shoe type shoes. Changing over to hard soled shoes and it disappeared. I have also seen it occur to people whose cleats are not properly set. And "properly" appears to be different for each individual. I can also imagine it being caused by crank length being too long. This causes you to tip toe at the bottom of the stroke.

Re: Pain the ball of foot any takers?

<t5jro3$hf9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55949&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55949

From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 20:46:59 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:9lQLbxjfztUu+1MH2KBz9VDi/CY=
 by: Roger Merriman - Thu, 12 May 2022 20:46 UTC

Mark Cleary <deaconmjc08@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been riding a lot so now I have some hot/pain spots on my feet.
> Mostly on the right foot in the ball of the foot under the 3-4
> metatarsal, I can ride but it comes and goes but getting bit worse.
> Anyone here get this and what might they have done? My options seem to be
> move the cleat more toward the center of the shoe but I have them about
> as far toward the rear of the shoe as I can get them. I could try some
> metatarsal pads I have seen or try to make my own with some type of form
> rubber. I have had this off and on in the past and usually it goes away
> but I would like to get it under control. Probably someone has had this.
> Deacon Mark

If it comes and goes might be worth seeing if any bike fitters about? I
used to get it with some of the softer skate type shoes, and the like. Both
my commute and MTB/Gravel bike shoes are now a bit stiffer. Which seems to
have stopped that.

Roger Merriman