"Morality is one thing. Ratings are everything." -- A Network 23 executive on "Max Headroom"

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Some People have all the luck

SubjectAuthor
* Some People have all the luckTom Kunich
+* Re: Some People have all the luckJeff Liebermann
|+- Re: Some People have all the luckFrank Krygowski
|`* Re: Some People have all the luckfunkma...@hotmail.com
| `* Re: Some People have all the luckJeff Liebermann
|  +- Re: Some People have all the luckrussellseaton1@yahoo.com
|  +* Re: Some People have all the luckJohn B.
|  |`* Re: Some People have all the luckrussellseaton1@yahoo.com
|  | `- Re: Some People have all the luckJohn B.
|  +* Re: Some People have all the luckFrank Krygowski
|  |`* Re: Some People have all the luckJeff Liebermann
|  | `- Re: Some People have all the luckFrank Krygowski
|  `- Re: Some People have all the luckfunkma...@hotmail.com
+- Re: Some People have all the luckrussellseaton1@yahoo.com
`* Re: Some People have all the luckAndre Jute
 `* Re: Some People have all the luckTom Kunich
  +* Re: Some People have all the luckTom Kunich
  |+- Re: Some People have all the luckJohn B.
  |+- Re: Some People have all the luckFrank Krygowski
  |+* Re: Some People have all the luckrussellseaton1@yahoo.com
  ||`- Re: Some People have all the luckfunkma...@hotmail.com
  |+* Re: Some People have all the luckfunkma...@hotmail.com
  ||`- Re: Some People have all the luckFrank Krygowski
  |`- Re: Some People have all the luckJeff Liebermann
  `* Re: Some People have all the luckrussellseaton1@yahoo.com
   +- Re: Some People have all the luckfunkma...@hotmail.com
   `* Re: Some People have all the luckAMuzi
    +* Re: Some People have all the luckTom Kunich
    |`* Re: Some People have all the luckAMuzi
    | `- Re: Some People have all the luckTom Kunich
    `- Re: Some People have all the luckrussellseaton1@yahoo.com

Pages:12
Re: Some People have all the luck

<t5j71o$j73$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55911&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55911

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Some People have all the luck
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 10:53:42 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Thu, 12 May 2022 14:53 UTC

On 5/12/2022 3:44 AM, funkma...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 8:06:50 PM UTC-4, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> Unlike Frank, Flunky and Russell I don't mind saying that I made a mistake.
>
> Right, like you did when you claimed that campagnolo made special non-stretch cables?
> https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/csOVQ3qa2ko/m/cNk0bQ07AQAJ
> That's just on example of the literally hundreds on mistakes you've made.
>
> <snipped unhinged political rant....Yawn....>

Speaking of such things: How amazing that in this bike tech discussion
group, Tom almost daily posts evidence of his bike tech incompetence. So
many mistakes! So many problems with what are actually fairly simple
machines!

Yet Tom somehow expects us to believe he has tremendous expertise
regarding much more complicated issues, like politics. And economics.
And epidemiology. And history. And genetics. And climate science.

From what I can tell, nobody here is impressed with Tom. But consistent
with the above, he seems incapable of understanding that.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Some People have all the luck

<7b56faeb-f161-4055-bc2c-aec83ec38315n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55913&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55913

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 08:11:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 12 May 2022 15:11 UTC

On Thursday, May 12, 2022 at 7:39:36 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
> On 5/12/2022 2:09 AM, russell...@yahoo.com wrote:

> >> I installed them on my Di2 Colnago and did a 38 mile ride and 2,000 feet of climbing yesterday. Those wheels were very impressive but I think that I will move them over to the C50. The CLX3.0 is a 58 cm bike and now feels a little too small after riding the Trek and C50 which are both 60 cm. I was having neck pains until the road tilted up. I had a final 600 foot climb and on the descent I hit 40 mph. There was very strong (25 mph with 40 mph gusts) winds and the bike held a perfectly straight course without moving about in the gusts.
> >>
> >> I was sent a email that said that Russell claimed that he had a set of Shamal wheels of the old 8 speed sort. Ebay add showed a 9 speed freehub on it but the axle would have had to be replaced to run a 9 speed on it. I traded a set of those very rare clincher types to a commercial house painter who painted my house for a Masi with them mounted on it. He is a short guy and sold the frameset and kept the wheels. All of the other 8 speed Shamal's I saw were tubular. By this time street riding on a set of those would have worn the braking surface down to the point where they are in danger of popping the brake track off if you hit a pothole hard.
> >>

> > I have my original Shamal wheels (50mm or so deep shiny aluminum rims) on my 9 speed Chorus bike. It has a 9 speed Campagnolo cassette. I presume you are insinuating the aluminum cassette body would need to be replaced to run a 9 speed cassette. Not the axle. No, my Shamal wheels work just fine with a 9 speed cassette.
> >

> >> By the way - I replaced the carbon brake pads for aluminum rim Zukka brake shoes and pads. These if you forgive my language are pure crap. They slowed so badly that you had to plan well ahead of time to get the bike stopped at a light. So I will replace the Shamals on my CLX3.0 with the original carbon clincher aero wheels and replace the blue carbon pads with the Campy carbon pads. The blue pads stopped OK but not especially good but are worn down.
> Your yet-current EXA cassette body can run as a 9, 10, 11 or 12.

I'm not clear on what you mean. Certainly my Shamal wheels have a 11 speed Shimano compatible freehub. But 10 speed Shimano freehubs will not mount an 11 speed cassette. I bought a set of supposed DT 10 speed wheels. I sent a message to DT Swiss to get an 11 speed freehub body. They wanted a picture so I sent them one. They said that it was DT Swiss rims but they had no idea what the hubs were. So what do I do with those wheels? I sell them to someone that has a 9 or 10 speed
Shimano setup. Perhaps you can try many 11 speed freehubs if you have a collection and maybe one of them will fit. But there are differences in Shimano 10 and 11 speed freehubs.

Re: Some People have all the luck

<0saq7h9kar1lu3c7c3rc5mp1rktkhb06on@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55917&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55917

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 09:00:55 -0700
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Thu, 12 May 2022 16:00 UTC

On Wed, 11 May 2022 17:06:48 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
<cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

>Unlike Frank, Flunky and Russell I don't mind saying that I made a mistake.

Everything you know is wrong. Admitting that you've made a mistake is
only the first step in recovering from a mistake. You also need to
correct the mistake and provide the correct factual information also
known as a retraction. Apologizing to the readers for the
misinformation is another important step. I do all that, as do most
other people in RBT. You don't, preferring instead to change the
topic. I've provided fact checking on some of your postings. I'm
rather appalled at the large number of mistakes you make. Mostly,
they're technical details that indicate you don't understand the topic
or lack experience. However, nobody could be so consistently wrong by
accident. I suspect it's intentional. Yes, we all make grammatical
and spelling errors. Sometimes things get mangled by dubious sources
with an agenda. These make good excuses, but they still require
providing corrections. The problem is that you make so many mistakes,
it would take you all day to research a single posting and probably
another day to post a believable retraction and correction. It's
possible that your habit of ignoring your detractors and critics
through "filtering" might be a way of buying additional time for
retractions, but instead seems to be wasted on fabricating additional
amazing facts and dubious claims.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

Re: Some People have all the luck

<t5jevs$g92$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55922&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55922

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 12:09:13 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Thu, 12 May 2022 17:09 UTC

On 5/12/2022 10:11 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Thursday, May 12, 2022 at 7:39:36 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:

>>> I have my original Shamal wheels (50mm or so deep shiny aluminum rims) on my 9 speed Chorus bike. It has a 9 speed Campagnolo cassette. I presume you are insinuating the aluminum cassette body would need to be replaced to run a 9 speed cassette. Not the axle. No, my Shamal wheels work just fine with a 9 speed cassette.

>> Your yet-current EXA cassette body can run as a 9, 10, 11 or 12.
>
> I'm not clear on what you mean. Certainly my Shamal wheels have a 11 speed Shimano compatible freehub. But 10 speed Shimano freehubs will not mount an 11 speed cassette. I bought a set of supposed DT 10 speed wheels. I sent a message to DT Swiss to get an 11 speed freehub body. They wanted a picture so I sent them one. They said that it was DT Swiss rims but they had no idea what the hubs were. So what do I do with those wheels? I sell them to someone that has a 9 or 10 speed
> Shimano setup. Perhaps you can try many 11 speed freehubs if you have a collection and maybe one of them will fit. But there are differences in Shimano 10 and 11 speed freehubs.

I replied to Mr Seaton who has a Campagnolo EXA cassette
body (not to you regarding your HG-whatever cassette body)

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Re: Some People have all the luck

<14a90732-9d35-493a-80e2-df93f3f6ca86n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55926&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55926

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 10:23:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 12 May 2022 17:23 UTC

On Thursday, May 12, 2022 at 10:09:20 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
> On 5/12/2022 10:11 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:

> >> Your yet-current EXA cassette body can run as a 9, 10, 11 or 12.
> >
> > I'm not clear on what you mean. Certainly my Shamal wheels have a 11 speed Shimano compatible freehub. But 10 speed Shimano freehubs will not mount an 11 speed cassette. I bought a set of supposed DT 10 speed wheels. I sent a message to DT Swiss to get an 11 speed freehub body. They wanted a picture so I sent them one. They said that it was DT Swiss rims but they had no idea what the hubs were. So what do I do with those wheels? I sell them to someone that has a 9 or 10 speed
> > Shimano setup. Perhaps you can try many 11 speed freehubs if you have a collection and maybe one of them will fit. But there are differences in Shimano 10 and 11 speed freehubs.
> >
> I replied to Mr Seaton who has a Campagnolo EXA cassette
> body (not to you regarding your HG-whatever cassette body)

My apologies. The freehub difference between Campy and Shimano is very odd. The fact that 11 speed cassettes of both have the same spacing seems to me weirs but handy since it doesn't matter which freehub I buy, they will work with either Shimano or Campagnolo. But add an additional speed and the entire game changes.

Re: Some People have all the luck

<60f3a81a-8648-49e9-b25a-8339dcadc01en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=55969&group=rec.bicycles.tech#55969

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 22:25:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Fri, 13 May 2022 05:25 UTC

On Thursday, May 12, 2022 at 9:39:36 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
> On 5/12/2022 2:09 AM, russell...@yahoo.com wrote:

> >> I installed them on my Di2 Colnago and did a 38 mile ride and 2,000 feet of climbing yesterday. Those wheels were very impressive but I think that I will move them over to the C50. The CLX3.0 is a 58 cm bike and now feels a little too small after riding the Trek and C50 which are both 60 cm. I was having neck pains until the road tilted up. I had a final 600 foot climb and on the descent I hit 40 mph. There was very strong (25 mph with 40 mph gusts) winds and the bike held a perfectly straight course without moving about in the gusts.
> >>
> >> I was sent a email that said that Russell claimed that he had a set of Shamal wheels of the old 8 speed sort. Ebay add showed a 9 speed freehub on it but the axle would have had to be replaced to run a 9 speed on it. I traded a set of those very rare clincher types to a commercial house painter who painted my house for a Masi with them mounted on it. He is a short guy and sold the frameset and kept the wheels. All of the other 8 speed Shamal's I saw were tubular. By this time street riding on a set of those would have worn the braking surface down to the point where they are in danger of popping the brake track off if you hit a pothole hard.
> >>

> > I have my original Shamal wheels (50mm or so deep shiny aluminum rims) on my 9 speed Chorus bike. It has a 9 speed Campagnolo cassette. I presume you are insinuating the aluminum cassette body would need to be replaced to run a 9 speed cassette. Not the axle. No, my Shamal wheels work just fine with a 9 speed cassette.

> Your yet-current EXA cassette body can run as a 9, 10, 11 or 12.
>
> Andrew Muzi
> <www.yellowjersey.org/>
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

OK. So the original Shamal wheels I bought, way back in early 2000s, came from the factory with a Campagnolo cassette body, EXA, that could take 9 and up cassettes. I am 110% positive I just put the 9 speed cassette on and it fit and worked perfectly. Guessing it was a 9 speed Chorus cassette but maybe I cheaped out with a 9 speed Veloce cassette. After Tommy's posting, I did look up on Google and found several discussions talking about my 12 spoke wheels, front and rear, that only took 8 speed cassettes. And that did not apply to my wheels. So I was a bit confused. Maybe my 12 spoke Shamal wheels were at the end of the run and they had already switched to this new EXA cassette body to take 9 and up cassettes. Shamal wheels started during 8 speed cassette but 9 speed cassette came out while still in production. The 12 spoke Shamal models. I never tried to figure out what year of wheels I bought. Sometime in the 1990s. They are beautiful 50mm deep shiny gloss aluminum Campagnolo Shamal wheels. The rear anyway. I had to "make" my own front wheel. Campagnolo knows how to make beautiful components..