Your good nature will bring you unbounded happiness.

tech / rec.crafts.metalworking / Question about

SubjectAuthor
* Question aboutFred ST
`* Re: Question aboutSnag
 +- Re: Question aboutLaura Allen
 `- Re: Question aboutJim Wilkins

1
Question about

<ed0fd9fe-530e-4b64-bf3b-09d9f7e5ca21n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5608&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5608

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 12:12:32 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Question about
From: electric...@gmail.com (Fred ST)
 by: Fred ST - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 20:12 UTC

Hi There my name is Fred and I just joined the group. I am looking at purchasing a metal lathe and came across a Dalton B-4 metal lathe that has had a restoration done. It may have been cosmetic but not quite sure yet. Url from where it can be found is as follows:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/334928828549266/?referralSurface=messenger_lightspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner

Juts wondering if there are major wear parts that tend to need replacement (since I suppose this was manufactured about 100 years ago and whether replacement parts are available , e.g. bearings, bushings, etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Fred ST

Re: Question about

<svbfhg$bvp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5609&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5609

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Question about
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 14:52:03 -0600
 by: Snag - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 20:52 UTC

On 2/25/2022 2:12 PM, Fred ST wrote:
> Hi There my name is Fred and I just joined the group. I am looking at purchasing a metal lathe and came across a Dalton B-4 metal lathe that has had a restoration done. It may have been cosmetic but not quite sure yet. Url from where it can be found is as follows:
>
> https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/334928828549266/?referralSurface=messenger_lightspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner
>
> Juts wondering if there are major wear parts that tend to need replacement (since I suppose this was manufactured about 100 years ago and whether replacement parts are available , e.g. bearings, bushings, etc.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice
>
> Fred ST

The first question I have is : Do you mean to actually use this lathe
much , or is it a conversation piece ? Some things you might not know ,
but maybe you do . It has poured Babbitt bearings , which can be fun
when it comes time to refresh them . It's pretty small , unless you're
into miniatures . Change gears , I don't see any in the pictures and
without them the lathe is very limited in what you can do . No powered
cross feed as far as I can tell . Power source ? This machine looks like
it's driven from a line shaft with a flat belt .
I'm opinionated by ownership , but I think you'd be better off
looking for a South Bend or a Logan . My preference is Logan , I've had
mine over 20 years and it keeps on keepin' on . The big plus for Logan
is that they still have original manufacturer support . Mine is 70 years
old and I can still buy parts from the mfr .
--
Snag
My rights don't end

Re: Question about

<d49b8b55-8974-4337-a815-efb17f75a9c7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5610&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5610

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 17:02:24 -0800 (PST)
From: sierrafl...@yahoo.com (Laura Allen)
 by: Laura Allen - Sat, 26 Feb 2022 01:02 UTC

On Friday, February 25, 2022 at 12:52:04 PM UTC-8, Snag wrote:
> On 2/25/2022 2:12 PM, Fred ST wrote:
> > Hi There my name is Fred and I just joined the group. I am looking at purchasing a metal lathe and came across a Dalton B-4 metal lathe that has had a restoration done. It may have been cosmetic but not quite sure yet. Url from where it can be found is as follows:
> >
> > https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/334928828549266/?referralSurface=messenger_lightspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner
> >
> > Juts wondering if there are major wear parts that tend to need replacement (since I suppose this was manufactured about 100 years ago and whether replacement parts are available , e.g. bearings, bushings, etc.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any advice
> >
> > Fred ST
> >
> The first question I have is : Do you mean to actually use this lathe
> much , or is it a conversation piece ? Some things you might not know ,
> but maybe you do . It has poured Babbitt bearings , which can be fun
> when it comes time to refresh them . It's pretty small , unless you're
> into miniatures . Change gears , I don't see any in the pictures and
> without them the lathe is very limited in what you can do . No powered
> cross feed as far as I can tell . Power source ? This machine looks like
> it's driven from a line shaft with a flat belt .
> I'm opinionated by ownership , but I think you'd be better off
> looking for a South Bend or a Logan . My preference is Logan , I've ha
> mine over 20 years and it keeps on keepin' on . The big plus for Logan
> is that they still have original manufacturer support . Mine is 70 years
> old and I can still buy parts from the mfr .
> --
> Snag
> My rights don't end
> where your fear begins .

I got to hang with Snag . At least get a machine with some sort of support .. Support with Logan may be a bit better , but there's a ka-zillion South Bend lathes out there to source parts from . That Dalton is sure pretty but like Sang said has babbitt bearings & it looks like a pretty short bed . I noticed the seller mentions the swing , but no mention of between centers .. That real estate starts getting small when you install a chuck . Maybe that's why the chuck wasn't installed for the full view pic ?
animal

Re: Question about

<svd68b$7k1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5611&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5611

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 07:25:07 -0500
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sat, 26 Feb 2022 12:25 UTC

"Snag" wrote in message news:svbfhg$bvp$1@dont-email.me...

On 2/25/2022 2:12 PM, Fred ST wrote:
> Hi There my name is Fred and I just joined the group. I am looking at
> purchasing a metal lathe and came across a Dalton B-4 metal lathe that
> has had a restoration done. It may have been cosmetic but not quite sure
> yet. Url from where it can be found is as follows:
>

> https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/334928828549266/?referralSurface=messenger_lightspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner
>
> Juts wondering if there are major wear parts that tend to need replacement
> (since I suppose this was manufactured about 100 years ago and whether
> replacement parts are available , e.g. bearings, bushings, etc.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice
>
> Fred ST

The first question I have is : Do you mean to actually use this lathe
much , or is it a conversation piece ? Some things you might not know ,
but maybe you do . It has poured Babbitt bearings , which can be fun
when it comes time to refresh them . It's pretty small , unless you're
into miniatures . Change gears , I don't see any in the pictures and
without them the lathe is very limited in what you can do . No powered
cross feed as far as I can tell . Power source ? This machine looks like
it's driven from a line shaft with a flat belt .
I'm opinionated by ownership , but I think you'd be better off
looking for a South Bend or a Logan . My preference is Logan , I've had
mine over 20 years and it keeps on keepin' on . The big plus for Logan
is that they still have original manufacturer support . Mine is 70 years
old and I can still buy parts from the mfr .
Snag
----------------------------

I'm also a big fan of half-century-old American iron but it can be hard to
find and evaluate, expensive if in good condition, and parts aren't that
easy to find anymore, thanks to restorers like me. Their wear and damage can
be an extra complication if you are new to machining and lack experience
troubleshooting problems.

Personally I'd look in the 9-10" range if you want to make custom tools and
machinery and repair parts for outdoor power equipment etc, though a smaller
lathe may be enough for model engines. The only common job my 10" South Bend
can't handle is turning brake drums and rotors, but they are probably better
being replaced instead. It was large enough to help build a sawmill and a
hydraulic bucket loader for my small tractor.

Can we see reviews from owners of current production hobby-sized machines?
jsw