One man's constant is another man's variable. -- A. J. Perlis

tech / rec.crafts.metalworking / Re: Are Ingersol Rand Compressors Actually Any Better ???

SubjectAuthor
* Are Ingersol Rand Compressors Actually Any Better ???Bob La Londe
+* Re: Are Ingersol Rand Compressors Actually Any Better ???Leon Fisk
|`* Re: Are Ingersol Rand Compressors Actually Any Better ???Bob La Londe
| `* Re: Are Ingersol Rand Compressors Actually Any Better ???Leon Fisk
|  +* Re: Are Ingersol Rand Compressors Actually Any Better ???Bob La Londe
|  |`- Re: Are Ingersol Rand Compressors Actually Any Better ???Bob La Londe
|  `- Re: Are Ingersol Rand Compressors Actually Any Better ???Bob La Londe
`* Re: Are Ingersol Rand Compressors Actually Any Better ???Bob La Londe
 `* Re: Are Ingersol Rand Compressors Actually Any Better ???Jim Wilkins
  `- Re: Are Ingersol Rand Compressors Actually Any Better ???Bob La Londe

1
Are Ingersol Rand Compressors Actually Any Better ???

<t0ikb8$5uq$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5653&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5653

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Are Ingersol Rand Compressors Actually Any Better ???
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 10:13:11 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sat, 12 Mar 2022 17:13 UTC

My main shop compressor motor smoked this morning. I figured I'd just
pop over to Harbor Freight and pickup a 3HP Smith & Jones compressor
duty motor. They don't have any. The compressor has a 3.7 (or maybe
its 3.2) HP motor on it now. Well semi recyclable lump of aluminum,
steel, and copper. I had replaced the pump already and the new pump
turns easier than the original so the 3HP motor would have been fine.

A quick check online of local stores open on Saturday shows the best
deal on a step up compressor to 5HP 80 gallon (almost every mill in the
shop uses air) shows Tractor Supply with a 5HP Ingersol Rand for $1299.
That's $500 CHEAPER than the next in stock 5HP compressor in town. Well
in stores with websites who have one listed as in stock.

I have work to do so I'll buy something shortly.

https://www.avg.com

Re: Are Ingersol Rand Compressors Actually Any Better ???

<t0ikr7$7d0$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5654&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5654

From: lfis...@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 13:21:42 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Sat, 12 Mar 2022 17:21 UTC

On Sat, 12 Mar 2022 10:13:11 -0700
Bob La Londe <none@none.com99> wrote:

>A quick check online of local stores open on Saturday shows the best
>deal on a step up compressor to 5HP 80 gallon (almost every mill in the
>shop uses air) shows Tractor Supply with a 5HP Ingersol Rand for $1299.
>That's $500 CHEAPER than the next in stock 5HP compressor in town. Well
>in stores with websites who have one listed as in stock.

Any Grainger Stores? Have an old 2hp 20 gallon Speedaire that has
treated me well for ~30 years now. At least they usually have parts for
the Speedaire stuff they sell...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: Are Ingersol Rand Compressors Actually Any Better ???

<t0il5j$cba$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5655&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5655

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 10:27:15 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sat, 12 Mar 2022 17:27 UTC

On 3/12/2022 10:21 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2022 10:13:11 -0700
> Bob La Londe <none@none.com99> wrote:
>
>> A quick check online of local stores open on Saturday shows the best
>> deal on a step up compressor to 5HP 80 gallon (almost every mill in the
>> shop uses air) shows Tractor Supply with a 5HP Ingersol Rand for $1299.
>> That's $500 CHEAPER than the next in stock 5HP compressor in town. Well
>> in stores with websites who have one listed as in stock.
>
> Any Grainger Stores? Have an old 2hp 20 gallon Speedaire that has
> treated me well for ~30 years now. At least they usually have parts for
> the Speedaire stuff they sell...

I don't do business with Grainger. They screwed me one to many times.
Most of the things I would buy from Grainger/Zoro I get for less from
MSC anyway. Not as bad as Graybar, but darn close. I seem to recall
Speedaire is NOT a Grainger owned brand though. Last time I shopped
around I am pretty sure the brand offered from the Local True Value
hardware franchisee store was Speedaire. They didn't stock any. I need
something today.

I spent the money on the Ingersol Rand. I'll pick it up shortly. Ask
me in 5 years how its doing. LOL.

https://www.avg.com

Re: Are Ingersol Rand Compressors Actually Any Better ???

<t0inj3$7d0$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5656&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5656

From: lfis...@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 14:08:35 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Sat, 12 Mar 2022 18:08 UTC

On Sat, 12 Mar 2022 10:27:15 -0700
Bob La Londe <none@none.com99> wrote:

<snip>
>I spent the money on the Ingersol Rand. I'll pick it up shortly. Ask
>me in 5 years how its doing. LOL.

Yeah, I have my hot-button vendors too...

Problem with 5 years from now is that it could be a completely
different unit by then. Where stuff is made and quality of it changes
fast nowadays :(

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: Are Ingersol Rand Compressors Actually Any Better ???

<t0ivh3$2vb$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5657&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5657

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 13:24:02 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sat, 12 Mar 2022 20:24 UTC

On 3/12/2022 11:08 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2022 10:27:15 -0700
> Bob La Londe <none@none.com99> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> I spent the money on the Ingersol Rand. I'll pick it up shortly. Ask
>> me in 5 years how its doing. LOL.
>
> Yeah, I have my hot-button vendors too...
>
> Problem with 5 years from now is that it could be a completely
> different unit by then. Where stuff is made and quality of it changes
> fast nowadays :(

Ordinarily that doesn't bother me to much. I can use a different pump
or a different motor. I can make adapter mounting plates as needed as
well. Check valves, pressure switches, etc are all available as
separate parts. I still have one little mill drill in the back that
doesn't require air that I only keep for that reason. So I can make a
shitty "good enough" part if I need to to get something else running
again. I would have just done a motor slap on my old compressor today,
but no place in Yuma that I could find open on a Saturday had a big
enough motor on hand. Harbor Freight usually has some compressor duty
motors, but they are out of stock. I can still get this new IR
installed today and run one or two jobs late this afternoon. I decided
on the new compressor for a couple reasons. It more closely matches my
shop air needs, and when I get a motor in for the old compressor I will
have a full drop in backup. If the new one fails and I have to order
some parts.

https://www.avg.com

Re: Are Ingersol Rand Compressors Actually Any Better ???

<t0ivmb$2vb$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5658&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5658

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 13:26:52 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sat, 12 Mar 2022 20:26 UTC

On 3/12/2022 11:27 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2022 14:08:35 -0400, Leon Fisk <lfiskgr@gmail.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 12 Mar 2022 10:27:15 -0700
>> Bob La Londe <none@none.com99> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>> I spent the money on the Ingersol Rand. I'll pick it up shortly. Ask
>>> me in 5 years how its doing. LOL.
>>
>> Yeah, I have my hot-button vendors too...
>>
>> Problem with 5 years from now is that it could be a completely
>> different unit by then. Where stuff is made and quality of it changes
>> fast nowadays :(
> If you are buying commercial grade I-R stuff you are likely getting
> your money's worth. The cheap-assed consumer grade crap with their
> name on it?? Not so much. May as well be Campbell Hausfeld (sp?)

Hey! Don't be dissing on Campbell Hausfeld. The original pump on my
little roll around lasted almost 20 years and it wasn't a closet queen.
It still has the original motor, switch, and check valve. It got used
on construction sites, and in the shop for most of that time.

https://www.avg.com

Re: Are Ingersol Rand Compressors Actually Any Better ???

<t0je45$gnj$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5659&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5659

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 17:33:10 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 00:33 UTC

On 3/12/2022 1:24 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 3/12/2022 11:08 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:
>> On Sat, 12 Mar 2022 10:27:15 -0700
>> Bob La Londe <none@none.com99> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>> I spent the money on the Ingersol Rand.  I'll pick it up shortly.  Ask
>>> me in 5 years how its doing.  LOL.
>>
>> Yeah, I have my hot-button vendors too...
>>
>> Problem with 5 years from now is that it could be a completely
>> different unit by then. Where stuff is made and quality of it changes
>> fast nowadays :(
>>

> Ordinarily that doesn't bother me to much.  I can use a different pump
> or a different motor.  I can make adapter mounting plates as needed as
> well.  Check valves, pressure switches, etc are all available as
> separate parts.  I still have one little mill drill in the back that
> doesn't require air that I only keep for that reason.  So I can make a
> shitty "good enough" part if I need to to get something else running
> again.  I would have just done a motor slap on my old compressor today,
> but no place in Yuma that I could find open on a Saturday had a big
> enough motor on hand.  Harbor Freight usually has some compressor duty
> motors, but they are out of stock.  I can still get this new IR
> installed today and run one or two jobs late this afternoon.  I decided
> on the new compressor for a couple reasons.  It more closely matches my
> shop air needs, and when I get a motor in for the old compressor I will
> have a full drop in backup.  If the new one fails and I have to order
> some parts.

That is proving optimistic. I enlarged the space for it and got it off
the pallet. LOL

https://www.avg.com

Re: Are Ingersol Rand Compressors Actually Any Better ???

<t0lprc$vfc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5663&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5663

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 15:05:33 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 22:05 UTC

On 3/12/2022 10:13 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> My main shop compressor motor smoked this morning.  I figured I'd just
> pop over to Harbor Freight and pickup a 3HP Smith & Jones compressor
> duty motor.  They don't have any.  The compressor has a 3.7 (or maybe
> its 3.2) HP motor on it now.  Well semi recyclable lump of aluminum,
> steel, and copper.  I had replaced the pump already and the new pump
> turns easier than the original so the 3HP motor would have been fine.
>
> A quick check online of local stores open on Saturday shows the best
> deal on a step up compressor to 5HP 80 gallon (almost every mill in the
> shop uses air) shows Tractor Supply with a 5HP Ingersol Rand for $1299.
> That's $500 CHEAPER than the next in stock 5HP compressor in town.  Well
> in stores with websites who have one listed as in stock.
>
> I have work to do so I'll buy something shortly.

So far there is good news and bad news.

BAD: Its a fair amount louder than the old one. I won't want to work
at the back work bench when its running.

Good: It fills the tank a lot faster.

https://www.avg.com

Re: Are Ingersol Rand Compressors Actually Any Better ???

<t0m9oa$tv2$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5666&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5666

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 22:36:16 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 02:36 UTC

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:t0lprc$vfc$1@dont-email.me...

So far there is good news and bad news.

BAD: Its a fair amount louder than the old one. I won't want to work
at the back work bench when its running.

Good: It fills the tank a lot faster.

-------------------

The 3HP Harbor Freight air compressor pump is quiet, apparently due to a
good (and large) intake muffler. I can hear when the pulley lock screws need
retightening.
https://www.mcmaster.com/compressor-mufflers/

They also quiet vacuum pumps.

Re: Are Ingersol Rand Compressors Actually Any Better ???

<t0nq7p$6t1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5672&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5672

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 09:24:23 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 16:24 UTC

On 3/13/2022 7:36 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "Bob La Londe"  wrote in message news:t0lprc$vfc$1@dont-email.me...
>
> So far there is good news and bad news.
>
> BAD:  Its a fair amount louder than the old one.  I won't want to work
> at the back work bench when its running.
>
> Good:  It fills the tank a lot faster.
>
> -------------------
>
> The 3HP Harbor Freight air compressor pump is quiet, apparently due to a
> good (and large) intake muffler. I can hear when the pulley lock screws
> need retightening.
> https://www.mcmaster.com/compressor-mufflers/
>
> They also quiet vacuum pumps.

I've actually got Harbor Freight pumps on two compressors. One is my
old Campbell Hausfeld roll around, and one is the compressor I just took
out. I was taken with how much quieter they were than the original
pumps. Perhaps that's why I complained about the sound level of the new
compressor. The roll around is still a little loud, but I expect that's
atleast in part because it is not fix mounted on vibration dampening
pads, and the steel front foot rests on the floor. When I first started
needing a fixed air plant in the shop I had it setting in the corner
connected to the shop air lines with a whip.

https://www.avg.com