As of next Thursday, UNIX will be flushed in favor of TOPS-10. Please update your programs.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Campagnolo Front Derailleur Alignment tool

SubjectAuthor
* Campagnolo Front Derailleur Alignment toolTom Kunich
`- Re: Campagnolo Front Derailleur Alignment toolFrank Krygowski

1
Campagnolo Front Derailleur Alignment tool

<9cd8689c-c916-4d6a-8300-d9a5de36ba9cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=57006&group=rec.bicycles.tech#57006

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 27 May 2022 09:48:39 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Campagnolo Front Derailleur Alignment tool
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 27 May 2022 16:48 UTC

I opened a package that contained a small box like Campy brake pads come in and it contained the plastic front derailleur alignment tools. They are significantly smaller than I expect but they work extremely well. The front derailleur now makes no noise at all in large-small or small-large Of copurse it still took the cable tightener tool to firm up the cable tension properly and I had to take apart the rear derailleur cable lock so that I could observe hoe the lock is obtained.

As I recall, I was told that all connectors on bicycle components should be Torx fittings so why aren't the front or rear cable locks Torx but rather 5 mm Allen heads? Supposedly Campy would be showing ignorance to use Allen. Surely they could save a gram or two by changing from chromed steel bolts to aluminum requiring the need for Torx so that the fittings don't strip out.

Yes, that is sort of smart assed. But Campagnolo has now gone so far in saving weight that they are at the end of the line and cannot save weight by any other methed than ill advised means of chznging sll of the connectors to an entirely different sort that saves only 40 grams over the entire group.

OK, what can they do next year? And of course the answer to that is now that they have chains down pat, they can reduce the numbers of speeds slowly back to 9 where they were optimal for sports riders. We simply don't have a high enough power output to reap any benefits from ratios so close that you can't feel the changes.

Re: Campagnolo Front Derailleur Alignment tool

<t6r0a1$u7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=57008&group=rec.bicycles.tech#57008

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Campagnolo Front Derailleur Alignment tool
Date: Fri, 27 May 2022 13:04:00 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Fri, 27 May 2022 17:04 UTC

On 5/27/2022 12:48 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

> As I recall, I was told that all connectors on bicycle components should be Torx fittings ...

No, you were not told that, Tom. Please stop trusting your "memory."
Take notes. Copious notes.

--
- Frank Krygowski