From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Solid Carbide Parting Blade
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:48:19 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 21:48 UTC

I've never been thrilled with the performance of HSS parting blades.
Carbide inserts are decent, but the insert holders tend to be the
failure point. I have scrap carbide. I could make a sort of angled
boring bar holder to go on the quick change tool post, and then grind
scrap carbide to shape. Front and side relief could be ground in, and
then the holder takes care of top relief. I don't know. This is just
one of those thoughts that no doubt kept me out of the good schools.

https://www.avg.com

Re: Solid Carbide Parting Blade

<t1qih6$7it$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5775&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5775

From: j-wal...@no.no (James Waldby)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Solid Carbide Parting Blade
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 20:47:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Waldby - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 20:47 UTC

Bob La Londe <none@none.com99> wrote:
> I've never been thrilled with the performance of HSS parting blades.
> Carbide inserts are decent, but the insert holders tend to be the
> failure point. I have scrap carbide. I could make a sort of angled
> boring bar holder to go on the quick change tool post, and then grind
> scrap carbide to shape. Front and side relief could be ground in, and
> then the holder takes care of top relief. I don't know. This is just
> one of those thoughts that no doubt kept me out of the good schools.

From the above I'm assuming your piece of ground carbide wouldn't look
exactly like the usual carbide grooving/parting inserts, or maybe the
holder wouldn't just have a slot the carbide slides into. Or would it
look like a fairly ordinary insert and bar arrangement, just beefier?

Re the diameter you could part, would the stickout of the carbide
piece be the limiting factor, or would your holder be as thin as the
carbide?

Also, when you shop grind a carbide bit, does it stay sharp as long as
a factory ground insert does?

Re: Solid Carbide Parting Blade

<t1qtvs$m25$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5779&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5779

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 17:03:09 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 00:03 UTC

On 3/27/2022 1:47 PM, James Waldby wrote:
> Bob La Londe <none@none.com99> wrote:
>> I've never been thrilled with the performance of HSS parting blades.
>> Carbide inserts are decent, but the insert holders tend to be the
>> failure point. I have scrap carbide. I could make a sort of angled
>> boring bar holder to go on the quick change tool post, and then grind
>> scrap carbide to shape. Front and side relief could be ground in, and
>> then the holder takes care of top relief. I don't know. This is just
>> one of those thoughts that no doubt kept me out of the good schools.
>
> From the above I'm assuming your piece of ground carbide wouldn't look
> exactly like the usual carbide grooving/parting inserts, or maybe the
> holder wouldn't just have a slot the carbide slides into. Or would it
> look like a fairly ordinary insert and bar arrangement, just beefier?
>
> Re the diameter you could part, would the stickout of the carbide
> piece be the limiting factor, or would your holder be as thin as the
> carbide?
>
> Also, when you shop grind a carbide bit, does it stay sharp as long as
> a factory ground insert does?

Nope. It would look like a parting blade carved out of a broken end
mill, and the remaining round stub would lock into a holder. How long
the edge lasts? I don't know. Most of my one off shop made carbide
tools get used for one job, and then they go in a drawer where I will
never remember what I made that tool for ever again.

https://www.avg.com