Professional wrestling: ballet for the common man.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / 11 speed compatibility

SubjectAuthor
* 11 speed compatibilityTom Kunich
`- Re: 11 speed compatibilityrussellseaton1@yahoo.com

1
11 speed compatibility

<12aab3b8-b446-4086-832d-dfeb180b68a5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=57455&group=rec.bicycles.tech#57455

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 10:40:58 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: 11 speed compatibility
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 2 Jun 2022 17:40 UTC

OK, I bought the cheapest Shimano compatible cassette available - about $30.. It goes together a little clumbsy because of mediocre machining. But it does go together. The 11-32 works just as well on the Campy group as the Campy cassettes do. You have to be a little more careful making sure that the rear derailleur is properly set but that is probably because of the cassette and not the Shimano vs. Campagnolo spacing.

So you indeed can use either Campy, SRAM or Shimano 11 speed cassettes on the 11 speed group of either company. But remember that SRAM and Shimano only fit on Shimano or SRAM 11 speed freehubs and only Campagnolo fit on a Campagnolo freehub. The question was the spacing and whether they would shift.

One of the odd things was that I was trying it on the rear wheel and the brake track of the Chinese wheel and the Campy Shamal were in a different area so that the brake pads had to be adjusted down a little for the Shamals to work.

I guess there is a bit of slop in the 700c Standard.

Re: 11 speed compatibility

<42924291-c8e6-451c-8d90-b8eb3b879bd6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=57463&group=rec.bicycles.tech#57463

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 14:37:15 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: 11 speed compatibility
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Thu, 2 Jun 2022 21:37 UTC

On Thursday, June 2, 2022 at 12:41:00 PM UTC-5, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> OK, I bought the cheapest Shimano compatible cassette available - about $30. It goes together a little clumbsy because of mediocre machining. But it does go together. The 11-32 works just as well on the Campy group as the Campy cassettes do. You have to be a little more careful making sure that the rear derailleur is properly set but that is probably because of the cassette and not the Shimano vs. Campagnolo spacing.
>
> So you indeed can use either Campy, SRAM or Shimano 11 speed cassettes on the 11 speed group of either company. But remember that SRAM and Shimano only fit on Shimano or SRAM 11 speed freehubs and only Campagnolo fit on a Campagnolo freehub. The question was the spacing and whether they would shift.
>
> One of the odd things was that I was trying it on the rear wheel and the brake track of the Chinese wheel and the Campy Shamal were in a different area so that the brake pads had to be adjusted down a little for the Shamals to work.
>
> I guess there is a bit of slop in the 700c Standard.

Your brake block adjustments are not due to the overall diameter of the different wheels. They are all 700C. 622mm diameter. They are all within a few tenths of a millimeter or less of each other. Some tires are tight, some are loose. May be due to either the rim being a tiny bit big or small or the tire being a tiny bit big or small at the bead. The reason for your brake block adjustments is due to where on the rim the rim maker machines its braking track. High at the bead, in the middle, or low on the rim side. And for rims of old that were smooth and not machined on the side, there was a small curvature at the top of the rim for the bead. Maybe the curvature started a little higher or lower on some rims. So brake blocks needed minor adjustments up or down.