From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: VV-C-846 A Amendment 1 Cutting Fluid
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 10:18:38 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 17:18 UTC

I ran across a "deal" on a couple 5 gallon pails of this stuff. Sealed
and unopened. Inspection Date 1992. (I paid the asking price, but it
was pretty cheap.)

VV-C-846 A Amendment 1 Cutting Fluid

Mil-surplus. The guy who had it passed away last year from Covid, and
his son is clearing out his salvage yard.

Right now I am trying to determine if it is old enough to contain banned
cutting fluid additives. If it was a direct cutting oil I would suspect
maybe, but its a water emulsion cutting fluid.

Its seems there are atlest 3 newer versions in this standard upto
VV-C-846 D from around 2020.

The following is from the spec sheet for (B). Here are a c ouple
excerpts I found that were of most interest to me.

Scope: This specification covers (depends on which document I open)
covers three types of emulsifiable oils which, when diluted with water,
are intended for use in metal-cutting operations.

Toxicity: The emulsifiable oils shall have no adverse effect on the
health of personnel, in either concentrated or dilute form, when used
for the intended purpose. Questions regarding to toxicity shall be
referred by the procuring activity to the appropriate departmental
medical service which will act as advisor to the procuring activity.

Intended use: Cutting fluids covered by this specification are
intended for use as coolants and lubricants for metal cutting operations
when diluted with water to approximately 5 percent by volume.

Ah! Here are the types:

6.1.1 Type I. Type I emulsifiable oil is intended for easily-machined
metals such as copper, brass, cast iron, and aluminum.

6.1.2 Type II. Type II emulsifiable oil is intended for metals which are
moderately easy to machine such as bronzes, low carbon steel, or
annealed high carbon steel. This type of oil is not intended for use in
the machining of aluminum or copper alloys where staining is objectionable.

6.1.3 Type III. Type III emulsifiable oil is intended for
difficult-to-machine high alloys or stainless steels and titanium.

I run SC520 in all my CNC machines, but I've got some manual machines in
the back with coolant systems as well. The PM1440 lathe, the SB1028F
mill, and the 7x12 horizontal band saw. I've been trying to determine
if I want to use this in any of these machines. Except for the band saw
(which is currently full of 5% SC520 and distilled water) I have been
running these machines dry or with hand applied cutting oils. Dripper,
brush, oil can, etc.

I was wondering if any of you guys had direct experience with this
cutting fluid that you would care to share.

https://www.avg.com