Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2022 09:00:09 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Bikes for sale
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Tue, 7 Jun 2022 16:00 UTC

Two of my five bikes have been sold and it seems pretty silly to me that it was the two least likely to have gone. The Douglas Vector is a 58 cm bike with a decent group on it and remains here. It is a far better riding bike than the polished titanium Merlin. Not that the Merlin was bad mind you, but it isn't as good as say the Vector or the Airborne which while not a polished bike is quite a good rider. The Colnago CLX3.0 with Di2 has been improved with a 105 crankset so that nothing can come loose or break like TWO Dura Ace Hollowtech cranks did. Almost all Dura Ace components are the very best with the one weak spot being the cranksets. Though I didn't buy these new and my problems might have been the previous owners seeing the leaking around the Hollowtech joints and selling them off before tragedy occurred.

But I'm not about to pay the small fortune to save about the one ounce difference tween the Dura Ace crank and the 105. The question is why wouldn't anyone be interested in the bike when it is absolutely top of the line and I'm selling it for 60% of what its worth? I haven't had one single offer on the bike despite it being top of the line including English bottom brackets which is the weak spot of the Italian made Colnago's. They solved this problem on my C50 by locking compound on the threads that lock the BB in so tight that it is very hard to insert and even more difficult to take off.

I am rather curious why I haven't had an offer on my Airborne Zeppelin since it is easily the best riding titanium bike of the group. Airborne worked out good geometry before the fake pandemic killed them off. So many small and medium sized businesses have been destroyed so that the Democrat could obtain power that there is no more chance for a small guy Now inflation is finishing off the rest though more slowly because new business that replace the old don't understand how much inflation will take out of their pockets.

Perhaps this will also be the point of why my bikes aren't selling them. Good bikes for a good price with good groups are pretty hard to find. My local top-of-the-line bike shop is down to doing all the work himself. He used to have two people working for him. We'll see how much longer he can hold out.

Re: Bikes for sale

<64a26e4c-90c2-46bf-9ae5-6a673b40c606n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=57757&group=rec.bicycles.tech#57757

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2022 22:56:23 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Bikes for sale
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Wed, 8 Jun 2022 05:56 UTC

On Tuesday, June 7, 2022 at 11:00:12 AM UTC-5, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Two of my five bikes have been sold and it seems pretty silly to me that it was the two least likely to have gone. The Douglas Vector is a 58 cm bike with a decent group on it and remains here. It is a far better riding bike than the polished titanium Merlin. Not that the Merlin was bad mind you, but it isn't as good as say the Vector or the Airborne which while not a polished bike is quite a good rider. The Colnago CLX3.0 with Di2 has been improved with a 105 crankset so that nothing can come loose or break like TWO Dura Ace Hollowtech cranks did. Almost all Dura Ace components are the very best with the one weak spot being the cranksets. Though I didn't buy these new and my problems might have been the previous owners seeing the leaking around the Hollowtech joints and selling them off before tragedy occurred.
>
> But I'm not about to pay the small fortune to save about the one ounce difference tween the Dura Ace crank and the 105. The question is why wouldn't anyone be interested in the bike when it is absolutely top of the line and I'm selling it for 60% of what its worth?

Define "what its worth". Are you trying to sell a used bike for 60% of what you paid for the components when you bought them new several years ago? That is called depreciation. Bikes depreciate rapidly. Used bikes can always be bought for a big discount from a very similar new bike. Same brand, same component group, everything same, except its a couple years older than the new bike. Its used price is about 50% of new price.

> I haven't had one single offer on the bike despite it being top of the line including English bottom brackets which is the weak spot of the Italian made Colnago's. They solved this problem on my C50 by locking compound on the threads that lock the BB in so tight that it is very hard to insert and even more difficult to take off.
>
> I am rather curious why I haven't had an offer on my Airborne Zeppelin since it is easily the best riding titanium bike of the group. Airborne worked out good geometry before the fake pandemic killed them off. So many small and medium sized businesses have been destroyed so that the Democrat could obtain power that there is no more chance for a small guy Now inflation is finishing off the rest though more slowly because new business that replace the old don't understand how much inflation will take out of their pockets.
>
> Perhaps this will also be the point of why my bikes aren't selling them. Good bikes for a good price with good groups are pretty hard to find. My local top-of-the-line bike shop is down to doing all the work himself. He used to have two people working for him. We'll see how much longer he can hold out.

Re: Bikes for sale

<t7r6sd$g45$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=57775&group=rec.bicycles.tech#57775

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2022 15:12:30 -0700
 by: sms - Wed, 8 Jun 2022 22:12 UTC

On 6/7/2022 10:56 PM, russellseaton1@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 7, 2022 at 11:00:12 AM UTC-5, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Two of my five bikes have been sold and it seems pretty silly to me that it was the two least likely to have gone. The Douglas Vector is a 58 cm bike with a decent group on it and remains here. It is a far better riding bike than the polished titanium Merlin. Not that the Merlin was bad mind you, but it isn't as good as say the Vector or the Airborne which while not a polished bike is quite a good rider. The Colnago CLX3.0 with Di2 has been improved with a 105 crankset so that nothing can come loose or break like TWO Dura Ace Hollowtech cranks did. Almost all Dura Ace components are the very best with the one weak spot being the cranksets. Though I didn't buy these new and my problems might have been the previous owners seeing the leaking around the Hollowtech joints and selling them off before tragedy occurred.
>>
>> But I'm not about to pay the small fortune to save about the one ounce difference tween the Dura Ace crank and the 105. The question is why wouldn't anyone be interested in the bike when it is absolutely top of the line and I'm selling it for 60% of what its worth?
>
> Define "what its worth". Are you trying to sell a used bike for 60% of what you paid for the components when you bought them new several years ago? That is called depreciation. Bikes depreciate rapidly. Used bikes can always be bought for a big discount from a very similar new bike. Same brand, same component group, everything same, except its a couple years older than the new bike. Its used price is about 50% of new price.

Very few buyers have ever heard of a "Douglas Vector" so the TAM (total
available market) for this bicycle is very limited.

I looked at the craigslist listing
<https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/d/san-leandro-douglas-vector-60-cm/7489172085.html>
and it's very confusing and poorly written. In one place it's 60cm, in
another place it's 58cm. Which is it?

What does "This is a real riding bike" mean?

The mish-mosh of various parts likely makes buyers nervous.

The 25mm limit on tires is an issue and the statement "Since this is a
58 cm bike people would be light enough so that 25's are correct" makes
no sense. Also, tubeless tires really scares away buyers.

The bicycle was previously listed on eBay for $300 less and did not sell
<https://www.ebay.com/itm/294918884843>.

Re: Bikes for sale

<50382c05-064e-4d2f-ab1e-4cab78f6aee8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=57922&group=rec.bicycles.tech#57922

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 19:46:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 02:46 UTC

On Wednesday, June 8, 2022 at 5:12:35 PM UTC-5, sms wrote:
> On 6/7/2022 10:56 PM, russell...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > On Tuesday, June 7, 2022 at 11:00:12 AM UTC-5, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> Two of my five bikes have been sold and it seems pretty silly to me that it was the two least likely to have gone. The Douglas Vector is a 58 cm bike with a decent group on it and remains here. It is a far better riding bike than the polished titanium Merlin. Not that the Merlin was bad mind you, but it isn't as good as say the Vector or the Airborne which while not a polished bike is quite a good rider. The Colnago CLX3.0 with Di2 has been improved with a 105 crankset so that nothing can come loose or break like TWO Dura Ace Hollowtech cranks did. Almost all Dura Ace components are the very best with the one weak spot being the cranksets. Though I didn't buy these new and my problems might have been the previous owners seeing the leaking around the Hollowtech joints and selling them off before tragedy occurred.
> >>
> >> But I'm not about to pay the small fortune to save about the one ounce difference tween the Dura Ace crank and the 105. The question is why wouldn't anyone be interested in the bike when it is absolutely top of the line and I'm selling it for 60% of what its worth?
> >
> > Define "what its worth". Are you trying to sell a used bike for 60% of what you paid for the components when you bought them new several years ago? That is called depreciation. Bikes depreciate rapidly. Used bikes can always be bought for a big discount from a very similar new bike. Same brand, same component group, everything same, except its a couple years older than the new bike. Its used price is about 50% of new price.
> Very few buyers have ever heard of a "Douglas Vector" so the TAM (total
> available market) for this bicycle is very limited.
>
> I looked at the craigslist listing
> <https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/d/san-leandro-douglas-vector-60-cm/7489172085.html>
> and it's very confusing and poorly written. In one place it's 60cm, in
> another place it's 58cm. Which is it?
>
> What does "This is a real riding bike" mean?
>
> The mish-mosh of various parts likely makes buyers nervous.
>
> The 25mm limit on tires is an issue and the statement "Since this is a
> 58 cm bike people would be light enough so that 25's are correct" makes
> no sense. Also, tubeless tires really scares away buyers.
>
> The bicycle was previously listed on eBay for $300 less and did not sell
> <https://www.ebay.com/itm/294918884843>.

Thanks for the link to Tommy's bike. Agree, Douglas Vector means less than nothing to everyone. Almost no one on earth knows Douglas was made by Colorado Cyclist. Its similar to WalMart Sams Soda. Someone like Tommy boy will tell you it is the same as Coke. Better than Coke. But its not Coke. Its a cola flavor. Like Coke. But its not Coke. But our Tommy boy will argue he knows what Coke is.

I noticed the sizing mismatch too. 60cm in the link. 58cm on the webpage. I guess Tommy boy could not decide which size would help sell it better. Maybe Tommy boy is pretending its 1980 again. C-T and C-C frame sizes. 58 or 60, both are right, kind of, sort of.

Also agree on the parts. Record, Chorus, Centaur, Daytona. All on the same bike? I have a bike or two with Chorus and Record or Centaur and Veloce. But they are for my own personal use. I am not trying to sell them to anyone. They function perfectly together. But, I'm not trying to sell my mismatched bikes to anyone for brand new prices.

Agree on Tommy's writing. He obviously did not pass any English classes in high school. Concise, succinct, accurate, informative sentences. Ha Ha. I'm beginning to suspect Tommy did not drop out of high school. He was flunked out for not passing the basics like English and math.