Between infinite and short there is a big difference. -- G. H. Gonnet

tech / rec.crafts.metalworking / Re: Brush suppliers

SubjectAuthor
* Brush suppliersDavid Lesher
+* Re: Brush suppliersJim Wilkins
|+* Re: Brush suppliersBob La Londe
||`* Re: Brush suppliersClare Snyder
|| `* Re: Brush suppliersBob La Londe
||  `* Re: Brush suppliersLeon Fisk
||   `* Re: Brush suppliersBob La Londe
||    `* Re: Brush suppliersBob La Londe
||     `* Re: Brush suppliersLeon Fisk
||      `- Re: Brush suppliersBob La Londe
|`- Re: Brush suppliersMike Spencer
+- Re: Brush suppliersLeon Fisk
`- Re: Brush suppliersBob Engelhardt

1
Brush suppliers

<t2v1lm$89i$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5818&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5818

From: wb8...@panix.com (David Lesher)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Brush suppliers
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 16:46:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: David Lesher - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 16:46 UTC

I need a brush for the motor in a Rigid-branded shopvac.

It's 250 mils by 318 mils, and about an inch long with braided
tail out the end. The holder has the spring so the brush does
not need one.

I found one supplier of something close but they had a $35
minimum order charge.

Any suggestions?

--
A host is a host from coast to coast...............wb8foz@panix.com

Re: Brush suppliers

<t2v3r8$p68$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5819&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5819

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Brush suppliers
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 13:23:02 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 17:23 UTC

"David Lesher" wrote in message news:t2v1lm$89i$1@reader1.panix.com...

I need a brush for the motor in a Rigid-branded shopvac.

It's 250 mils by 318 mils, and about an inch long with braided
tail out the end. The holder has the spring so the brush does
not need one.

I found one supplier of something close but they had a $35
minimum order charge.

Any suggestions?

--------------------------

If you can't find the right size, a larger brush with a suitable wire
connection can be trimmed. down with a razor saw and sandpaper. They can be
cut to size more accurately on a milling machine as long as the cut is into
or parallel to the brush edge, it will chip if the cutter exits an edge.

Buy brushes meant for 120V use, battery tool brushes may have different
properties.

Re: Brush suppliers

<t2v5hm$ti4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5820&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5820

From: lfis...@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 13:52:53 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 17:52 UTC

On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 16:46:46 -0000 (UTC)
David Lesher <wb8foz@panix.com> wrote:

>I need a brush for the motor in a Rigid-branded shopvac.
>
>It's 250 mils by 318 mils, and about an inch long with braided
>tail out the end. The holder has the spring so the brush does
>not need one.
>
>I found one supplier of something close but they had a $35
>minimum order charge.
>
>Any suggestions?

Have you tried Ebay?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=carbon%20brushes%20vacuum%20motor

or if you're lucky...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303457936903

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: Brush suppliers

<t2vhiu$1gm0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5821&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5821

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 14:18:23 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 21:18 UTC

On 4/10/2022 10:23 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "David Lesher"  wrote in message news:t2v1lm$89i$1@reader1.panix.com...
>
> I need a brush for the motor in a Rigid-branded shopvac.
>
> It's 250 mils by 318 mils, and about an inch long with braided
> tail out the end. The holder has the spring so the brush does
> not need one.
>
> I found one supplier of something close but they had a $35
> minimum order charge.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> --------------------------
>
> If you can't find the right size, a larger brush with a suitable wire
> connection can be trimmed. down with a razor saw and sandpaper. They can
> be cut to size more accurately on a milling machine as long as the cut
> is into or parallel to the brush edge, it will chip if the cutter exits
> an edge.
>
> Buy brushes meant for 120V use, battery tool brushes may have different
> properties.

ie: Climb cut around the edges, and if possible use a mill with a 45
degree corner chamfer.

https://www.avg.com

Re: Brush suppliers

<qea75htblr54pipeon2mka5l0a3mv9nig8@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5825&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5825

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 00:12:18 -0400
 by: Clare Snyder - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 04:12 UTC

On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 14:18:23 -0700, Bob La Londe <none@none.com99>
wrote:

>On 4/10/2022 10:23 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
>> "David Lesher"  wrote in message news:t2v1lm$89i$1@reader1.panix.com...
>>
>> I need a brush for the motor in a Rigid-branded shopvac.
>>
>> It's 250 mils by 318 mils, and about an inch long with braided
>> tail out the end. The holder has the spring so the brush does
>> not need one.
>>
>> I found one supplier of something close but they had a $35
>> minimum order charge.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> --------------------------
>>
>> If you can't find the right size, a larger brush with a suitable wire
>> connection can be trimmed. down with a razor saw and sandpaper. They can
>> be cut to size more accurately on a milling machine as long as the cut
>> is into or parallel to the brush edge, it will chip if the cutter exits
>> an edge.
>>
>> Buy brushes meant for 120V use, battery tool brushes may have different
>> properties.
>>

>ie: Climb cut around the edges, and if possible use a mill with a 45
>degree corner chamfer.
Isthere no authorized service depot for Ridgid tools? The part should
be available. Or check a local vacuum shop. Unless it is total CRAP
there should be parts available. Around here I'd head to RMW electric
or Scheils electric and have them check their stock -definitely want
brushes for 120 volt AC motor if at all possible

Re: Brush suppliers

<87r164terc.fsf@bogus.nodomain.nowhere>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5826&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5826

From: mds...@bogus.nodomain.nowhere (Mike Spencer)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: 11 Apr 2022 01:39:35 -0300
 by: Mike Spencer - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 04:39 UTC

"Jim Wilkins" <muratlanne@gmail.com> writes:

> "David Lesher" wrote in message news:t2v1lm$89i$1@reader1.panix.com...
>
> I need a brush for the motor in a Rigid-branded shopvac.
>
> It's 250 mils by 318 mils, and about an inch long with braided
> tail out the end. The holder has the spring so the brush does
> not need one.
>
> I found one supplier of something close but they had a $35
> minimum order charge.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> --------------------------
>
> If you can't find the right size, a larger brush with a suitable wire
> connection can be trimmed. down with a razor saw and sandpaper. They can be
> cut to size more accurately on a milling machine as long as the cut is into
> or parallel to the brush edge, it will chip if the cutter exits an edge.

My Land Rover generator died once when I was 400 miles from home. I
had tools, found a place to work on it half an hour before store
closing time. Found too-large brushes at Canadian Tire in a bin of
loose odd parts that I filed to fit. They worked and lasted the life
of the vehicle.

Maybe I'm just lucky. In a Datsun pickup in Maine in a snow storm,
engine began to miss badly. Visible cascade of sparks running down
over the coil tower. Only service station in town, about to close,
didn't have a coil on hand but they let me use a spray can of some
kind of electric-resistant lacquer. Scraped the burned track on the
tower, sprayed it and made 500 miles home. The truck owner later told
me it, too, lasted the life of the vehicle.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: Brush suppliers

<cEV4K.418236$iK66.400963@fx46.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5828&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5828

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: BobEngel...@comcast.net (Bob Engelhardt)
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 09:00:57 -0400
 by: Bob Engelhardt - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 13:00 UTC

On 4/10/2022 12:46 PM, David Lesher wrote:
> I need a brush for the motor in a Rigid-branded shopvac.
>
> It's 250 mils by 318 mils, and about an inch long with braided
> tail out the end. The holder has the spring so the brush does
> not need one.
>
> I found one supplier of something close but they had a $35
> minimum order charge.
>
> Any suggestions?

Ridgid is a popular brand and there must be parts suppliers for it.
Unless it's a long-out-of-production model. Googling Ridgid parts
returns lots of sources. Even Amazon has Rigid parts.

Re: Brush suppliers

<t31odh$1csr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5830&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5830

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 10:27:10 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 17:27 UTC

On 4/10/2022 9:12 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 14:18:23 -0700, Bob La Londe <none@none.com99>
> wrote:
>
>> On 4/10/2022 10:23 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
>>> "David Lesher"  wrote in message news:t2v1lm$89i$1@reader1.panix.com...
>>>
>>> I need a brush for the motor in a Rigid-branded shopvac.
>>>
>>> It's 250 mils by 318 mils, and about an inch long with braided
>>> tail out the end. The holder has the spring so the brush does
>>> not need one.
>>>
>>> I found one supplier of something close but they had a $35
>>> minimum order charge.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> --------------------------
>>>
>>> If you can't find the right size, a larger brush with a suitable wire
>>> connection can be trimmed. down with a razor saw and sandpaper. They can
>>> be cut to size more accurately on a milling machine as long as the cut
>>> is into or parallel to the brush edge, it will chip if the cutter exits
>>> an edge.
>>>
>>> Buy brushes meant for 120V use, battery tool brushes may have different
>>> properties.
>>>

>> ie: Climb cut around the edges, and if possible use a mill with a 45
>> degree corner chamfer.
> Isthere no authorized service depot for Ridgid tools? The part should
> be available. Or check a local vacuum shop. Unless it is total CRAP
> there should be parts available. Around here I'd head to RMW electric
> or Scheils electric and have them check their stock -definitely want
> brushes for 120 volt AC motor if at all possible

Ridgid Power tools is Home Depot. They play all kinds of games with
warranty and service. You can't walk in to a Home Depot anywhere and
buy parts or drop off a warranty repair. Not even the ones where the
repair center is located. I quit buying Ridgid power tools because of
this total unadulterated bullshit. I had a brand new out of the box
Ridgid router my wife bought for her router table with a stuck switch
that was so tight it required a screw driver wedged in the housing to
turn it on and off. They jerked me around in just trying to register
the tool (has to be registered) for weeks. Their registration system
didn't seem to work and my internet security software went into full on
battle mode trying to protect my computer from their cookies and
scripts. When push came to shove it would cost me nearly as much to
jump through the hoops and ship the router to their authorized repair
center (insured of course) as to replace the router. I bought my wife a
Porter Cable to replace it instead.

I was a contractor, and I bought a lot of Ridgid power tools before
that. My first Ridgid power tool was a contractor's table saw that was
unbelievably good. A buddy and I did take the time to put it together
"right" so I am sure that was part of it, but its been very good. I
think that was close to 20 years ago. I bought my wife a Ridgid
vertical bandsaw for Christmas one year (she used to make doll houses)
and its been excellent. I've had it for atleast 15 years. I've got a
few other Ridgid power tools I bought because of those experiences, but
no more. The other thing is now often in the stores I see other brands
that don't have a "screw you 'trick' lifetime warranty" with larger
machines and better features for around the same price. Brands I know I
can buy parts for online.

So factory direct repair parts may be difficult, I finally need to redo
the fence on my table saw and I won't even ask Home Depot for parts.
I'll either follow Jeremey Schmidt's (talented builder/YouTuber) example
to build my own or I'll spend real money on something like an Incra.

https://www.avg.com

Re: Brush suppliers

<t31q22$16p$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5831&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5831

From: lfis...@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 13:55:14 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 17:55 UTC

On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 10:27:10 -0700
Bob La Londe <none@none.com99> wrote:

<snip>
>So factory direct repair parts may be difficult, I finally need to redo
>the fence on my table saw and I won't even ask Home Depot for parts.

Home Depot is working on activation too :(

==The Home Depot is trying a new approach when it comes to stopping what
they say has become a huge problem. Individuals or a team walking into
a store, grabbing a stack of power tools, and then head straight out
the front of the store. Officials say another method people are using
is to ring up a few smaller items in the self checkout lane to mask the
crime. The store's corporate security says several criminals will
repeat the crime at the same store or other locations.

Home Depot says their new anti-theft strategy is now being used in
several stores nationwide to combat the thefts of their most popular
power tools. A chip is inserted into power tools of major brands like
DeWalt and Milwaukee brand tools, similar to how gift cards need to be
scanned and paid for at a store to activate. Once the tools are paid
for, the store will use Bluetooth technology to activate the tool.

Company officials believe this will cut down on tool thefts, its just
to early to tell just how much.
==
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/home-depot-to-use-bluetooth-technology-to-stop-theft/ar-AAMsoEp

Plus both Milwaukee and Dewalt are adding bluetooth with user tracking,
kill and probably more to power tools also:

==Contractor Tool Tracking System: Milwaukee® ONE-KEY™
onekey.milwaukeetool.com/Tool-Tracking
Contractor Tool Tracking System: Milwaukee® ONE-KEY™ One-Key Works for
You Get Started—It's Free Digital Inventory Tool Tracking Crew
Management Places Management Connected Tools Tool and equipment
tracking built for the trades Nothing wreaks havoc on productivity and
profits like stolen and misplaced equipment.

Tool Connect™ | Dewalt
www.dewalt.com/systems/tool-connect
Optimize the jobsite with DEWALT® TOOL CONNECT™. With the power to
track tools and equipment, you can finish the job on time and on
budget. CONSTRUCTION INVENTORY MANAGEMENT Improve productivity with a
seamless tracking solution. Get real-time updates from the field,
create assignments, and automate reports from one scalable app.
==
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: Brush suppliers

<t31r65$mlj$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5833&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5833

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 11:14:28 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 18:14 UTC

On 4/11/2022 10:55 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 10:27:10 -0700
> Bob La Londe <none@none.com99> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> So factory direct repair parts may be difficult, I finally need to redo
>> the fence on my table saw and I won't even ask Home Depot for parts.
>
> Home Depot is working on activation too :(
>
> ===
> The Home Depot is trying a new approach when it comes to stopping what
> they say has become a huge problem. Individuals or a team walking into
> a store, grabbing a stack of power tools, and then head straight out
> the front of the store. Officials say another method people are using
> is to ring up a few smaller items in the self checkout lane to mask the
> crime. The store's corporate security says several criminals will
> repeat the crime at the same store or other locations.
>
> Home Depot says their new anti-theft strategy is now being used in
> several stores nationwide to combat the thefts of their most popular
> power tools. A chip is inserted into power tools of major brands like
> DeWalt and Milwaukee brand tools, similar to how gift cards need to be
> scanned and paid for at a store to activate. Once the tools are paid
> for, the store will use Bluetooth technology to activate the tool.
>
> Company officials believe this will cut down on tool thefts, its just
> to early to tell just how much.
> ===
>
> https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/home-depot-to-use-bluetooth-technology-to-stop-theft/ar-AAMsoEp
>
> Plus both Milwaukee and Dewalt are adding bluetooth with user tracking,
> kill and probably more to power tools also:
>
> ===
> Contractor Tool Tracking System: Milwaukee® ONE-KEY™
> onekey.milwaukeetool.com/Tool-Tracking
> Contractor Tool Tracking System: Milwaukee® ONE-KEY™ One-Key Works for
> You Get Started—It's Free Digital Inventory Tool Tracking Crew
> Management Places Management Connected Tools Tool and equipment
> tracking built for the trades Nothing wreaks havoc on productivity and
> profits like stolen and misplaced equipment.
>
> Tool Connect™ | Dewalt
> www.dewalt.com/systems/tool-connect
> Optimize the jobsite with DEWALT® TOOL CONNECT™. With the power to
> track tools and equipment, you can finish the job on time and on
> budget. CONSTRUCTION INVENTORY MANAGEMENT Improve productivity with a
> seamless tracking solution. Get real-time updates from the field,
> create assignments, and automate reports from one scalable app.
> ===

You know its about creating a forced tool replacement. I don't care
what lie they tell to justify it.

https://www.avg.com

Re: Brush suppliers

<t31rci$mlj$2@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5834&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5834

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 11:17:53 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 18:17 UTC

On 4/11/2022 11:14 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 4/11/2022 10:55 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 10:27:10 -0700
>> Bob La Londe <none@none.com99> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>> So factory direct repair parts may be difficult,  I finally need to redo
>>> the fence on my table saw and I won't even ask Home Depot for parts.
>>
>> Home Depot is working on activation too :(
>>
>> ===
>> The Home Depot is trying a new approach when it comes to stopping what
>> they say has become a huge problem. Individuals or a team walking into
>> a store, grabbing a stack of power tools, and then head straight out
>> the front of the store. Officials say another method people are using
>> is to ring up a few smaller items in the self checkout lane to mask the
>> crime. The store's corporate security says several criminals  will
>> repeat the crime at the same store or other locations.
>>
>> Home Depot says their new anti-theft strategy is now being used in
>> several stores nationwide to combat the thefts of their most popular
>> power tools. A chip is inserted into power tools of major brands like
>> DeWalt and Milwaukee brand tools, similar to how gift cards need to be
>> scanned and paid for at a store to activate.  Once the tools are paid
>> for,  the store will use  Bluetooth technology  to activate the tool.
>>
>> Company officials believe this will cut down on tool thefts, its just
>> to early to tell just how much.
>> ===
>>
>> https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/home-depot-to-use-bluetooth-technology-to-stop-theft/ar-AAMsoEp
>>

>> Plus both Milwaukee and Dewalt are adding bluetooth with user tracking,
>> kill and probably more to power tools also:
>>
>> ===
>> Contractor Tool Tracking System: Milwaukee® ONE-KEY™
>>   onekey.milwaukeetool.com/Tool-Tracking
>> Contractor Tool Tracking System: Milwaukee® ONE-KEY™ One-Key Works for
>> You Get Started—It's Free Digital Inventory Tool Tracking Crew
>> Management Places Management Connected Tools Tool and equipment
>> tracking built for the trades Nothing wreaks havoc on productivity and
>> profits like stolen and misplaced equipment.
>>
>> Tool Connect™ | Dewalt
>>   www.dewalt.com/systems/tool-connect
>> Optimize the jobsite with DEWALT® TOOL CONNECT™. With the power to
>> track tools and equipment, you can finish the job on time and on
>> budget. CONSTRUCTION INVENTORY MANAGEMENT Improve productivity with a
>> seamless tracking solution. Get real-time updates from the field,
>> create assignments, and automate reports from one scalable app.
>> ===
>>

> You know its about creating a forced tool replacement.  I don't care
> what lie they tell to justify it.

They have watched automakers and cellphone makers get away with this
bullshit, and they said, "Hey lets get on board." Deliberately making
changes to actively prevent repair (among other things) and then phasing
out all repair at the absolute minimum allowed by law (and sometimes not
even that long). Be a good little consumer and buy your replacement on
schedule or walk.

https://www.avg.com

Re: Brush suppliers

<t31tce$16p$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5835&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5835

From: lfis...@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 14:51:58 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 18:51 UTC

On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 11:17:53 -0700
Bob La Londe <none@none.com99> wrote:

<snip>
>They have watched automakers and cellphone makers get away with this
>bullshit, and they said, "Hey lets get on board." Deliberately making
>changes to actively prevent repair (among other things) and then phasing
>out all repair at the absolute minimum allowed by law (and sometimes not
>even that long). Be a good little consumer and buy your replacement on
>schedule or walk.

Yeah, we still don't have a nationwide right to repair bill :(

https://www.repair.org/stand-up/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_repair

"The right to repair refers to proposed government legislation that
would allow consumers the ability to repair and modify their own
consumer products (e.g. electronic, automotive devices or farm vehicles
such as tractors), where otherwise the manufacturer of such products
requires the consumer to use only their offered services by restricting
access to tools and components, or software barriers put in place to
hinder independent repair or modification. These obstacles often lead
to higher consumer costs or drive consumers to replace devices instead
of repairing them. While the global community is concerned over the
continuously growing size of the waste stream (especially electronic
components), the primary debate over the right to repair has been
centered on the United States and within the European Union..."

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: Brush suppliers

<t31tmr$1qm6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5836&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5836

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 11:57:30 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 18:57 UTC

On 4/11/2022 11:51 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 11:17:53 -0700
> Bob La Londe <none@none.com99> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> They have watched automakers and cellphone makers get away with this
>> bullshit, and they said, "Hey lets get on board." Deliberately making
>> changes to actively prevent repair (among other things) and then phasing
>> out all repair at the absolute minimum allowed by law (and sometimes not
>> even that long). Be a good little consumer and buy your replacement on
>> schedule or walk.
>
> Yeah, we still don't have a nationwide right to repair bill :(
>
> https://www.repair.org/stand-up/
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_repair
>
> "The right to repair refers to proposed government legislation that
> would allow consumers the ability to repair and modify their own
> consumer products (e.g. electronic, automotive devices or farm vehicles
> such as tractors), where otherwise the manufacturer of such products
> requires the consumer to use only their offered services by restricting
> access to tools and components, or software barriers put in place to
> hinder independent repair or modification. These obstacles often lead
> to higher consumer costs or drive consumers to replace devices instead
> of repairing them. While the global community is concerned over the
> continuously growing size of the waste stream (especially electronic
> components), the primary debate over the right to repair has been
> centered on the United States and within the European Union..."

.... and tractors. When a farmer can't get a 3/4 million dollar combined
fixed until after his crop has rotted on the stem there is a problem.

https://www.avg.com