From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Marine batteries
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 10:35:10 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 14:35 UTC

After reading many nearly useless reviews I bought the only SLI31MDP that
Batteries+Bulbs had, and then a hopefully similar/identical O'Reilly Super
Start 31DCM. AFAICT they are both made by East Penn and are rebadged Dekas,
Marine Master?

Does anyone have experience with one or both, especially on their longevity
and actual Amp-Hour capacity? They replaced 10+ year old SLI31s that had
dropped from nominal 105Ah to measured ~30Ah capacity.

Re: Marine batteries

<t2kg1v$1lnu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5811&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5811

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Marine batteries
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 09:44:46 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 16:44 UTC

On 4/6/2022 7:35 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> After reading many nearly useless reviews I bought the only SLI31MDP
> that Batteries+Bulbs had, and then a hopefully similar/identical
> O'Reilly Super Start 31DCM. AFAICT they are both made by East Penn and
> are rebadged Dekas, Marine Master?
>
> Does anyone have experience with one or both, especially on their
> longevity and actual Amp-Hour capacity? They replaced 10+ year old
> SLI31s that had dropped from nominal 105Ah to measured ~30Ah capacity.

I thought Deka was a a premium deep cycle. Never have used one. In my
boat when I was fishing two to three days a week and fishing tournaments
every weekend I tried a variety of trolling motor batteries. Trojan had
a great rep, but for me started losing capacity after about 11-12
months. The dealer said if they load test at all they are still good so
no warranty. Never bought another Trojan. Way to epensive for that
shit service life and poor service. I tried a couple brands of deep
cycle AGMs and got about 3 yeas use out of them. Once when I was short
on cash I bought a set of WalMart Maxx Deep cycles in group 29 size. I
got 18 months out of them and a free replacement. They were half the
price of the cheapest AGM deep cycles. So I have been using the WalMart
group 29 deep cycle Maxx batteries in my boats ever since.

Now trolling motor batteries in a boat see pretty hard use if you fish a
lot. They see a significant discharge every time you go out, and then
get charged when you get home. I suspect its possible in a lighter use
they might last a little longer. I have been using WalMart batteries in
my truck and tractor for years now as well. I get better life out of a
Walmart tractor battery then I got out of the insanely priced original
John Deere battery. The one thing is I always buy the BEST' grade
battery WalMart offers rather than the cheapest.

I was hearing great things about Dakota Lithium and was considering
biting the bullet on those for my boats (very expensive), but a couple
users who have had problems have reported that Dakota Lithium will not
respond to them with issues on in warranty batteries. I'm not sure I
want to gamble the price of lithiums just yet. Not even the price of
"cheaper" Chinese lithium batteries on Ebay, Alibaba, or Amazon.

https://www.avg.com

Re: Marine batteries

<t2kj77$u0c$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5812&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5812

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 13:37:58 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 17:37 UTC

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:t2kg1v$1lnu$1@gioia.aioe.org...

[...]

------------------------

Thanks. It appears that Johnson Controls makes the WalMart Everstart Marine
Group 29 battery which has a rated capacity of 122Ah, not bad for $90. It's
rumored that Johnson used more recycled lead than East Penn, which makes
their flooded batteries self-discharge faster in storage. Have you seen
that?

12V 100Ah Lithiums have fallen to and below $400, even $229 on Alibaba, and
I'm watching for reviews. I know from being a battery tech that the lifespan
of Lithium can be under 1 year or over 10.

Although I can't reveal specifics the 1 year battery was used outdoors in
Arizona.

Re: Marine batteries

<t2ktat$g7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5813&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5813

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 13:31:26 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 20:31 UTC

On 4/6/2022 10:37 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "Bob La Londe"  wrote in message news:t2kg1v$1lnu$1@gioia.aioe.org...
>
> I thought Deka was a a premium deep cycle.  Never have used one.  In my
> boat when I was fishing two to three days a week and fishing tournaments
> every weekend I tried a variety of trolling motor batteries.  Trojan had
> a great rep, but for me started losing capacity after about 11-12
> months.  The dealer said if they load test at all they are still good so
> no warranty.  Never bought another Trojan.  Way to epensive for that
> shit service life and poor service. I tried a couple brands of deep
> cycle AGMs and got about 3 yeas use out of them.  Once when I was short
> on cash I bought a set of WalMart Maxx Deep cycles in group 29 size.  I
> got 18 months out of them and a free replacement.  They were half the
> price of the cheapest AGM deep cycles.  So I have been using the WalMart
> group 29 deep cycle Maxx batteries in my boats ever since.
>
> Now trolling motor batteries in a boat see pretty hard use if you fish a
> lot.  They see a significant discharge every time you go out, and then
> get charged when you get home.  I suspect its possible in a lighter use
> they might last a little longer.  I have been using WalMart batteries in
> my truck and tractor for years now as well.  I get better life out of a
> Walmart tractor battery then I got out of the insanely priced original
> John Deere battery.  The one thing is I always buy the BEST' grade
> battery WalMart offers rather than the cheapest.
>
> I was hearing great things about Dakota Lithium and was considering
> biting the bullet on those for my boats (very expensive), but a couple
> users who have had problems have reported that Dakota Lithium will not
> respond to them with issues on in warranty batteries.  I'm not sure I
> want to gamble the price of lithiums just yet.  Not even the price of
> "cheaper" Chinese lithium batteries on Ebay, Alibaba, or Amazon.
>
> ------------------------
>
> Thanks. It appears that Johnson Controls makes the WalMart Everstart
> Marine Group 29 battery which has a rated capacity of 122Ah, not bad for
> $90. It's rumored that Johnson used more recycled lead than East Penn,
> which makes their flooded batteries self-discharge faster in storage.
> Have you seen that?
>
> 12V 100Ah Lithiums have fallen to and below $400, even $229 on Alibaba,
> and I'm watching for reviews. I know from being a battery tech that the
> lifespan of Lithium can be under 1 year or over 10.
>
> Although I can't reveal specifics the 1 year battery was used outdoors
> in Arizona.

Heat and cold are hard on batteries. Even more so on lithium batteries.

Its funny where I grew up (SW Az) there were material test sites in the
desert. I seem to recall it was AT&T or Bell Labs. They just had
various test samples of materials out in the sun and weather for years.

https://www.avg.com

Re: Marine batteries

<navr4htc2vanl84grbktkoncoas8kdi073@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5814&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5814

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2022 16:56:44 -0400
 by: Clare Snyder - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 20:56 UTC

On Wed, 6 Apr 2022 13:31:26 -0700, Bob La Londe <none@none.com99>
wrote:

>On 4/6/2022 10:37 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
>> "Bob La Londe"  wrote in message news:t2kg1v$1lnu$1@gioia.aioe.org...
>>
>> I thought Deka was a a premium deep cycle.  Never have used one.  In my
>> boat when I was fishing two to three days a week and fishing tournaments
>> every weekend I tried a variety of trolling motor batteries.  Trojan had
>> a great rep, but for me started losing capacity after about 11-12
>> months.  The dealer said if they load test at all they are still good so
>> no warranty.  Never bought another Trojan.  Way to epensive for that
>> shit service life and poor service. I tried a couple brands of deep
>> cycle AGMs and got about 3 yeas use out of them.  Once when I was short
>> on cash I bought a set of WalMart Maxx Deep cycles in group 29 size.  I
>> got 18 months out of them and a free replacement.  They were half the
>> price of the cheapest AGM deep cycles.  So I have been using the WalMart
>> group 29 deep cycle Maxx batteries in my boats ever since.
>>
>> Now trolling motor batteries in a boat see pretty hard use if you fish a
>> lot.  They see a significant discharge every time you go out, and then
>> get charged when you get home.  I suspect its possible in a lighter use
>> they might last a little longer.  I have been using WalMart batteries in
>> my truck and tractor for years now as well.  I get better life out of a
>> Walmart tractor battery then I got out of the insanely priced original
>> John Deere battery.  The one thing is I always buy the BEST' grade
>> battery WalMart offers rather than the cheapest.
>>
>> I was hearing great things about Dakota Lithium and was considering
>> biting the bullet on those for my boats (very expensive), but a couple
>> users who have had problems have reported that Dakota Lithium will not
>> respond to them with issues on in warranty batteries.  I'm not sure I
>> want to gamble the price of lithiums just yet.  Not even the price of
>> "cheaper" Chinese lithium batteries on Ebay, Alibaba, or Amazon.
>>
>> ------------------------
>>
>> Thanks. It appears that Johnson Controls makes the WalMart Everstart
>> Marine Group 29 battery which has a rated capacity of 122Ah, not bad for
>> $90. It's rumored that Johnson used more recycled lead than East Penn,
>> which makes their flooded batteries self-discharge faster in storage.
>> Have you seen that?
>>
>> 12V 100Ah Lithiums have fallen to and below $400, even $229 on Alibaba,
>> and I'm watching for reviews. I know from being a battery tech that the
>> lifespan of Lithium can be under 1 year or over 10.
>>
>> Although I can't reveal specifics the 1 year battery was used outdoors
>> in Arizona.
>>

>Heat and cold are hard on batteries. Even more so on lithium batteries.
>
>Its funny where I grew up (SW Az) there were material test sites in the
>desert. I seem to recall it was AT&T or Bell Labs. They just had
>various test samples of materials out in the sun and weather for years.
The other killer for batteries - particularly "flooded" batteries, is
VIBRATION. The vibration stresses the plates and active material
flakes off, settling in the bottom of the case where it eventually
shorts the plates. Up untill the plates short the capacity just tapers
off as there is less and less "active material" on the plates. Marine
duty batteries are generally built to deal better with vibration than
regular "deep cycle" or SLA batteries (starting/lighting/accessory)
and USUALLY are a bit of a compromise between an SLA and a deep cycle
performance/spec-wize

Re: Marine batteries

<t2l3u7$jmp$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5815&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5815

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 18:23:18 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 22:23 UTC

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:t2ktat$g7$1@gioia.aioe.org...

Heat and cold are hard on batteries. Even more so on lithium batteries.

Its funny where I grew up (SW Az) there were material test sites in the
desert. I seem to recall it was AT&T or Bell Labs. They just had
various test samples of materials out in the sun and weather for years.

----------------------

The Army has a lab here in NH to study operation in the Arctic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_Regions_Research_and_Engineering_Laboratory

A research center in Tennessee explores how human bodies decompose in the
wild, such as the life cycle timing of the insects they attract.
https://fac.utk.edu/
"NOTE: We do not provide tours of The Body Farm."

Re: Marine batteries

<t3204c$29l$2@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5837&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5837

From: prese...@MUNGEpanix.com (Cydrome Leader)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 19:38:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Cydrome Leader - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 19:38 UTC

Jim Wilkins <muratlanne@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:t2kg1v$1lnu$1@gioia.aioe.org...
>
> I thought Deka was a a premium deep cycle. Never have used one. In my
> boat when I was fishing two to three days a week and fishing tournaments
> every weekend I tried a variety of trolling motor batteries. Trojan had
> a great rep, but for me started losing capacity after about 11-12
> months. The dealer said if they load test at all they are still good so
> no warranty. Never bought another Trojan. Way to epensive for that
> shit service life and poor service. I tried a couple brands of deep
> cycle AGMs and got about 3 yeas use out of them. Once when I was short
> on cash I bought a set of WalMart Maxx Deep cycles in group 29 size. I
> got 18 months out of them and a free replacement. They were half the
> price of the cheapest AGM deep cycles. So I have been using the WalMart
> group 29 deep cycle Maxx batteries in my boats ever since.
>
> Now trolling motor batteries in a boat see pretty hard use if you fish a
> lot. They see a significant discharge every time you go out, and then
> get charged when you get home. I suspect its possible in a lighter use
> they might last a little longer. I have been using WalMart batteries in
> my truck and tractor for years now as well. I get better life out of a
> Walmart tractor battery then I got out of the insanely priced original
> John Deere battery. The one thing is I always buy the BEST' grade
> battery WalMart offers rather than the cheapest.
>
> I was hearing great things about Dakota Lithium and was considering
> biting the bullet on those for my boats (very expensive), but a couple
> users who have had problems have reported that Dakota Lithium will not
> respond to them with issues on in warranty batteries. I'm not sure I
> want to gamble the price of lithiums just yet. Not even the price of
> "cheaper" Chinese lithium batteries on Ebay, Alibaba, or Amazon.

> Thanks. It appears that Johnson Controls makes the WalMart Everstart Marine
> Group 29 battery which has a rated capacity of 122Ah, not bad for $90. It's
> rumored that Johnson used more recycled lead than East Penn, which makes
> their flooded batteries self-discharge faster in storage. Have you seen
> that?

Johnson Controls hasn't been in the battery business for almost 3 years
now.