Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 07:55:46 -0700 (PDT)
<5f33d637-ce0c-4996-84e3-542ccc07f139n@googlegroups.com> <5337b4f1-90ee-4b7a-b655-2589cc428e18n@googlegroups.com>
<4803c45d-9a67-4e39-97a4-34d8782a655bn@googlegroups.com> <e509e326-ad8d-48ca-ad84-3fe38181c1b6n@googlegroups.com>
<efab700d-e06d-4994-8411-61d769d9c56cn@googlegroups.com> <544bc6c5-15b3-4d07-9247-8b61436fee13n@googlegroups.com>
<14b8a728-adea-4536-adaf-c7f2045a8e6an@googlegroups.com> <ea2d7133-645a-4080-9641-c991b0088594n@googlegroups.com>
<60b55192-d9ab-4a66-9f73-8eeae5b3c94dn@googlegroups.com> <40bb07aa-51ca-44e6-9d1d-e4670291676cn@googlegroups.com>
<7708359b-b3ef-4051-ba14-c39636299d15n@googlegroups.com> <03ff9eab-b659-4980-9f24-8a1b9ef98a7an@googlegroups.com>
<2d3b0445-94b2-4875-80a9-b88d36fed637n@googlegroups.com> <4b46a956-220c-4db3-99d5-3df4798ab2e6n@googlegroups.com>
<07a87e6f-2049-48fd-9962-408b3ad7272an@googlegroups.com> <98fe7b11-ade6-4ee3-89a5-17e3aef4ecf1n@googlegroups.com>
<62cc0d15-f912-44ed-93ec-0e3f83ce530bn@googlegroups.com> <db6e75f5-f96e-4110-b42c-3961bbf3d7cbn@googlegroups.com>
<e468be6d-28f6-4cb2-928e-93af335d70e7n@googlegroups.com> <19abb54d-afea-4f56-8e0d-e8c8544a86ebn@googlegroups.com>
<70186a20-ed27-4fb1-b084-7c4333c22af8n@googlegroups.com> <02a5908f-cfbf-4cef-a6e4-ece860b03b6an@googlegroups.com>
<b9694c4c-4803-4588-956e-f049be31bd21n@googlegroups.com> <5d388b5b-595a-419a-9fe4-ce25199603fan@googlegroups.com>
<05b60c05-f136-44ea-9d96-e7e45045a810n@googlegroups.com> <18741557-d024-4b46-9d8b-af0aa7f963abn@googlegroups.com>
<2a54ed1f-9110-4588-a5ca-2c8b79968935n@googlegroups.com> <7afd9fac-e7e0-470a-be0a-887f6c361ccdn@googlegroups.com>
<349be2e4-654f-4a4a-ba99-7531eb8414a5n@googlegroups.com> <9bb55416-425a-43ed-8fb2-97227b362df0n@googlegroups.com>
<784b7d62-522e-43d5-8fac-7939a11edf92n@googlegroups.com> <ac0b3d74-3ab8-4e30-993c-7c86535fbabbn@googlegroups.com>
<e3f63f62-3f78-4958-9db7-212dfff43f50n@googlegroups.com> <4314c2a7-5ef2-479d-9ce9-ff2cb50315e7n@googlegroups.com>
<e2e976ba-c590-4c88-ac85-ee37fc61aa82n@googlegroups.com> <f831fc22-72e7-493e-879b-bc6b0c62b5e7n@googlegroups.com>
<5516120a-f64f-4d4c-b060-77ef086b2fban@googlegroups.com> <139f7c54-259d-4546-8ddc-e3fe8d2cd115n@googlegroups.com>
<4fd8ad47-bd30-4430-8ea3-2e47fb020c7an@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Dedekind was a crank.
From: thenewca...@gmail.com (Eram semper recta)
 by: Eram semper recta - Mon, 10 May 2021 14:55 UTC

On Monday, 10 May 2021 at 08:58:35 UTC-4, timba...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 8:49:47 AM UTC-4, Eram semper recta wrote:

> > > And so it is that you should refine your criticism to being against:
> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(%CE%B5,_%CE%B4)-definition_of_limit
> > Nonsense. The RATIONAL NUMBERS do not require any limit theory. In fact, limit theory is not even required in calculus.
> >
> > That we can calculate derivatives and definite integrals has nothing to do with limit theory. My New Calculus is proof of this.

> > > This sounds quite a lot like Dedekind's own words.
> > Only Dedekind's honest admission that he had no clue why calculus works (not in so many words). Other than this, Dedekind remained clueless and unfortunately his hilarious essay formed the basis of formal systems and logic.
> > >
> > > To resolve the problem through epsilon/delta is to admit that every number has a precision.
> > Rubbish. A number is a very well defined concept:
> > A number is a name given to a measure that describes a magnitude or size.
> > The only occasion when you can talk about precision is wrt measure of incommensurable magnitudes such as sqrt2 or pi, but neither of these are numbers, only symbols denoting magnitudes that have no measure.
> > > We can push the precision up, and this is the resolution. This is the best that we can do. That the value
> > > 2.3
> > > actually is a segment on the line: this is roughly what we are admitting to.
> > No, no, no. That is FALSE. You should first understand what it means to reify a number line. No mainstream academic I have ever met had a clue:
> >
> > https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-mOEooW03iLMHVYcE8xcmRZRnc
> >
> > Moreover, the derivation of the RATIONAL number line requires the prior establishment of number and not the other way round.
> > > No different than a pencil has some thickness as we trace along a straight-edge so that the legible trace does not actually come perfect, then we do have actual correspondence within this understanding.
> > Clueless as can be you are. Geometry has nothing to do with pencil, ruler or compass which are mere tools or manipulatives used to convey the perfect concepts therein.
> > > Tick your point off along your imperfect first trace; it has some thickness.
> > Not even wrong!
> >
> > <I stop here. You need some serious education! >
> [...]

Oh dear. What the fuck are you even going on about here? I told you that all this is irrelevant.

You can't draw a line with any thickness, much less a "number". I've never heard anything so stupid in my life.

The concept of NUMBER has NOTHING to do with limits. As I've repeatedly told you:

A number is a NAME given to a MEASURE that describes a magnitude or size.

Not all magnitudes can be measured. For these it is insufficient to talk about a limit of any sort. We know these are constants, but as we cannot measure the same precisely, we cannot talk about giving them a NAME in terms of MEASURE, only in terms of MAGNITUDE.

Pi, sqrt2 are symbols for magnitudes. They are not symbols or NAMES for numbers. Pi is a constant ratio which has zero to do with limits.

pi = circumference : diameter

pi =/= circumference / diameter <---- because then this would be a NAME given to a number, but circumference / diameter CANNOT be a number because circumference and diameter have NO COMMON MEASURE. What is the matter with you?!