From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Slip Roll Hinge
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 11:07:34 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 18:07 UTC

Many years ago I looked at an aluminum body motorcycle trailer. It was
at a run or a show. I don't recall exactly. There was a top hinged
door that used no bolt/weld/rivet on hinge. One of the panels of the
trailer had a roll or tube rolled into one edge of the panel, and the
door had a similar roll on one edge. Then they just slid together. I
didn't care about the trailer one way or another. (I had/have a couple
motorcycle trailers.) What I found interesting was the hinge mechanism.
In the open position you could just slide the two pieces apart and set
the door out of the way. In the closed position there was a latch that
kept things from moving.

Recently I have been working on a project where this sort of hinge might
be very handy, so I started looking up slip roll videos. The first
couple I've watched either spent more time with the operator commenting
like a salesperson than showing the actual operation of the machine, or
they showed basic ring roller type operation. Either making curves
tubes or cones.

Is that relatively tight 1(+/-) inch tube I recall not possible with a
slip roll after all. I can visualize a simpler machine with just two
rollers instead of three with one having a slot machined in it that
could make these parts, but I don't see it being done with a
conventional slip roll. Am I missing something or did I just stop
watching shop videos to soon?

https://www.avg.com

Re: Slip Roll Hinge

<t3mvl2$17vc$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5872&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5872

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Slip Roll Hinge
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 11:39:29 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 18:39 UTC

On 4/19/2022 11:07 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> Many years ago I looked at an aluminum body motorcycle trailer.  It was
> at a run or a show.  I don't recall exactly.  There was a top hinged
> door that used no bolt/weld/rivet on hinge.  One of the panels of the
> trailer had a roll or tube rolled into one edge of the panel, and the
> door had a similar roll on one edge.  Then they just slid together.  I
> didn't care about the trailer one way or another.  (I had/have a couple
> motorcycle trailers.)  What I found interesting was the hinge mechanism.
>  In the open position you could just slide the two pieces apart and set
> the door out of the way.  In the closed position there was a latch that
> kept things from moving.
>
> Recently I have been working on a project where this sort of hinge might
> be very handy, so I started looking up slip roll videos.  The first
> couple I've watched either spent more time with the operator commenting
> like a salesperson than showing the actual operation of the machine, or
> they showed basic ring roller type operation.  Either making curves
> tubes or cones.
>
> Is that relatively tight 1(+/-) inch tube I recall not possible with a
> slip roll after all.  I can visualize a simpler machine with just two
> rollers instead of three with one having a slot machined in it that
> could make these parts, but I don't see it being done with a
> conventional slip roll.  Am I missing something or did I just stop
> watching shop videos to soon?

I did ask how they made that and they said it was just a slip roll like
it was a nothing operation any fab shop should be able to do.

I had meant to put that in the first post somehow it slipped by.

https://www.avg.com

Re: Slip Roll Hinge

<t3n87d$q1m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5873&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5873

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 17:04:58 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 21:04 UTC

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:t3mvl2$17vc$1@gioia.aioe.org...

-----------------

Do you mean like the bead-rolled rim of a bucket?

Re: Slip Roll Hinge

<t3ncfq$136l$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5875&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5875

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 15:18:35 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 22:18 UTC

On 4/19/2022 2:04 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "Bob La Londe"  wrote in message news:t3mvl2$17vc$1@gioia.aioe.org...
> -----------------
>
> Do you mean like the bead-rolled rim of a bucket?

Sorta. From what I've been able to find these are usually made in
production with dies and a press. Usually takes two press operations and
two dies for a roll.

https://www.avg.com

Re: Slip Roll Hinge

<t3nolj$vp3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5876&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5876

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 21:45:36 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 01:45 UTC

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:t3ncfq$136l$1@gioia.aioe.org...

On 4/19/2022 2:04 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:t3mvl2$17vc$1@gioia.aioe.org...
> -----------------
>
> Do you mean like the bead-rolled rim of a bucket?

Sorta. From what I've been able to find these are usually made in
production with dies and a press. Usually takes two press operations and
two dies for a roll.

------------------------

https://www.trick-tools.com/Mittler_Bros_1_8_inch_Wire_Bead_Roll_Set_201_125_WBS_754

It's possible to form a half round bead by rolling the sheet metal plus a
rod through the slip roll grooves, then clamp then in a bending brake (or
between angle irons) with the narrow lip exposed enough to bend it further
around the rod, until it can be tapped, squeezed and rolled fully round over
the rod. My efforts weren't exactly pretty, and I made doubled-over hinge
leaves instead of a wired edge. I turn the bench vise jaws around to the
smooth sides for working sheet metal.

Re: Slip Roll Hinge

<t3nrua$lm4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5877&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5877

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 22:41:26 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 02:41 UTC

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:t3mtp7$b3b$1@gioia.aioe.org...

Many years ago I looked at an aluminum body motorcycle trailer. It was
at a run or a show. I don't recall exactly. There was a top hinged
door that used no bolt/weld/rivet on hinge. One of the panels of the
trailer had a roll or tube rolled into one edge of the panel, and the
door had a similar roll on one edge. Then they just slid together. I
didn't care about the trailer one way or another. (I had/have a couple
motorcycle trailers.) What I found interesting was the hinge mechanism.
In the open position you could just slide the two pieces apart and set
the door out of the way. In the closed position there was a latch that
kept things from moving.

--------------------

I think I've seen it too. The metal edges are rolled into concentric P
shapes, with round loops. The problem is clamping the edge to a shaft and
either bending the sheet metal around the shaft or winding it up. If you
don't mind holes the edge could be screwed to tapped holes in the shaft. The
simple, tedious approach would be clamping them in a vise with the sheet
upright and gradually hammering it against and around the shaft, using a
block of wood to distribute the blows lengthwise and concentrate them near
the shaft, where work-hardening makes the bent metal stiffer and less easily
bent than the rest of the sheet.

Re: Slip Roll Hinge

<t3p2cf$7to$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5878&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5878

From: lfis...@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:38:22 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 13:38 UTC

On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 15:18:35 -0700
Bob La Londe <none@none.com99> wrote:

>On 4/19/2022 2:04 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
>> "Bob La Londe"  wrote in message news:t3mvl2$17vc$1@gioia.aioe.org....
>> -----------------
>>
>> Do you mean like the bead-rolled rim of a bucket?
>>

>Sorta. From what I've been able to find these are usually made in
>production with dies and a press. Usually takes two press operations and
>two dies for a roll.

See this used on louvers and slats. Web page here with some info and
cad files:

https://www.johnsonrollforming.com/display.php/display/K/category/28

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: Slip Roll Hinge

<t3ptr2$d44$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5879&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5879

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 17:26:07 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 21:26 UTC

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message news:t3p2cf$7to$1@dont-email.me...

See this used on louvers and slats. Web page here with some info and
cad files:

https://www.johnsonrollforming.com/display.php/display/K/category/28

-------------------------

The dies:
https://www.ritewaybrakedies.com/hingeandbeadingdies

Re: Slip Roll Hinge

<t3q33k$j79$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5880&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5880

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 15:56:53 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 22:56 UTC

On 4/20/2022 2:26 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "Leon Fisk"  wrote in message news:t3p2cf$7to$1@dont-email.me...
> See this used on louvers and slats. Web page here with some info and
> cad files:
>
> https://www.johnsonrollforming.com/display.php/display/K/category/28

> The dies:
> https://www.ritewaybrakedies.com/hingeandbeadingdies

There is a nice animation video of using this type of die on YouTube.
I'll post the link if I run across it again.

https://www.avg.com