Cobol programmers are down in the dumps.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Transportation and Shipping

SubjectAuthor
* Transportation and ShippingTom Kunich
+- Re: Transportation and ShippingFrank Krygowski
`- Re: Transportation and Shippingrussellseaton1@yahoo.com

1
Transportation and Shipping

<3126d93e-92a4-4ac9-97ba-af7f08081b4fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=58906&group=rec.bicycles.tech#58906

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 15:09:15 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Transportation and Shipping
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 29 Jun 2022 22:09 UTC

Things that used to take Amazon one day to deliver are presently taking a week or more. While working on my Colnago CLX 3.0 the battery slipped down into the seat tube. The easy way to retrieve it is to get a "pickle grabber" and reach down and pick it up again. So the bike sits here awaiting the tool that during Trump would arrive the same or next day.

I also ordered a battery holder that has the problem that most of them were designed for larger seat tubes than I have. A 3" aero section only gets 25 mm at the widest portion and the normal battery holders are for 27.2 or 32..9 mm's

So I ordered a 27.2 and am hoping that I can cut it down to the correct diameter. I do have most necessary power tools but it would be nice to have room for a lath. But how long will it take to get the holder?

My Trek Alpha has been driving me crazy. It is aluminum and over the piss poor roads around here the cables have been knocking against the heat tube and causing a ringing that really bothers me. So that bike will go on the block as well to be replaced by an old 90's steel bike.

When pro's were allowed to ride all of the Columbus spread of tubing, they surprisingly chose the Thron tubing as the best ride.

I have had every Columbus tubing bike from SL to Brain and did not like any of them but I never tried Thron and so couldn't comment on them. But I have had bikes made of Oria tubing and THAT appears to be the same thing as Thron. If this is so, it is easy to see why the pro's liked Thron. The Oria tubing doesn't strongly rebound at the bottom of descents and hence my favorite steel bike of all time was a Basso Loto made from Oria tubing. Previous models were made from SL or SLX and hitting the bottom of a fast descent they would rebound so hard that it was scary. It felt like you might be thrown over the bars. Brain tubing didn't do this but I couldn't tell whether it was from the fact that the tubing wasn't as stiff or whether the oversize tubing simply didn't flex enough to not rebound.

In any case I found a frameset made from Oria tubing in my size and will return to the larger sized framesets. Also on well made steel bike with steel forks you don't have to worry about the forks breaking. The Trek has no such fear since it has an aluminum fork, but most bikes these days have carbon fiber forks. It you order a new Waterford Racing you would normally get a carbon fiber fork unless you special order a steel one.

In any case I will be interested in weighing an 11 speed Record steel bike to see how much difference in weight there is between that and the C50. On the Tuesday ride, the C50 rode so well that it was a pity that it was spoiled by the problem with the Garmin. So I sill be using the Garmin 800 until the new 830 arrives. I also have to up my training for the August centuries.. I am so far out of shape now that 35 miles is hard. I expect a metric would put me out of action for a month. So I have a month and a half to get back into the century shape that I've been in for the last several years before "Let's Go Brandon".

I'll keep you up to date on the steel bike and what I think of it after going through all of the best carbon fiber bikes such as the Time Edge, the Look 485, the Trek Madone and the Trek Emonda, none of which I particularly liked.

All of my best time were set on the CLX and I prefer the ride of the C50 but after all thee years, I need a steel comparison again. So the Moser AX Leader frameset is on its way, I have most of the top end Campy 11 speed parts, I have wheels and cassettes to spare and just ordered a new 26 mm handlebar to go into my threadless stem that will fit the threaded headset.

The sum of all of this is that I think that the only thing I might have to buy is a carbon saddle with round titanium rails but perhaps not. I may get the oval carbon rails on one I presently have to work in the Campy seat post simply with a longer bolt. So many bikes to build and so little time.

Re: Transportation and Shipping

<t9im8g$1ikhd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=58914&group=rec.bicycles.tech#58914

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Transportation and Shipping
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 19:12:14 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Wed, 29 Jun 2022 23:12 UTC

On 6/29/2022 6:09 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> [...]
>
> All of my best time were set on the CLX and I prefer the ride of the C50 but after all thee years, I need a steel comparison again. So the Moser AX Leader frameset is on its way, I have most of the top end Campy 11 speed parts, I have wheels and cassettes to spare and just ordered a new 26 mm handlebar to go into my threadless stem that will fit the threaded headset.
>
> The sum of all of this is that I think that the only thing I might have to buy is a carbon saddle with round titanium rails but perhaps not. I may get the oval carbon rails on one I presently have to work in the Campy seat post simply with a longer bolt. So many bikes to build and so little time.

SO many problems! SO much churning!

Tom buys bike after bike after bike, component after component, looking
for release from his frustrations. But each one requires him to pretend
to be a mechanic, which results in more frustrations.

It's an infinite loop.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Transportation and Shipping

<1dbcd3ff-5ee8-4261-8f29-26513d8c1227n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=58917&group=rec.bicycles.tech#58917

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 16:17:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Wed, 29 Jun 2022 23:17 UTC

On Wednesday, June 29, 2022 at 5:09:19 PM UTC-5, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Things that used to take Amazon one day to deliver are presently taking a week or more. While working on my Colnago CLX 3.0 the battery slipped down into the seat tube. The easy way to retrieve it is to get a "pickle grabber" and reach down and pick it up again. So the bike sits here awaiting the tool that during Trump would arrive the same or next day.

Tommy's memory is failing again. From about March 2020 until Jan 20, 2021, shipping by Amazon and UPS and FedEx and the Post Office was slower than in prior years. It probably has not improved a great deal since because of continued problems in manufacturing and shipping in Asia.

I find it humorous that old Tommy boy has mor bicycle problems.

> I also ordered a battery holder that has the problem that most of them were designed for larger seat tubes than I have. A 3" aero section only gets 25 mm at the widest portion and the normal battery holders are for 27.2 or 32.9 mm's
>
> So I ordered a 27.2 and am hoping that I can cut it down to the correct diameter. I do have most necessary power tools but it would be nice to have room for a lath. But how long will it take to get the holder?

Front derailleur clamps come in 34.9mm, 31.8mm, and 28.6mm. Diameter. Did you pull these made up 27.2 and 32.9 numbers out of your butthole? Tommy, do you take lessons in being wrong and stupid?

> My Trek Alpha has been driving me crazy. It is aluminum and over the piss poor roads around here the cables have been knocking against the heat tube and causing a ringing that really bothers me. So that bike will go on the block as well to be replaced by an old 90's steel bike.

Tommy, try these to keep the cables from rattling against the headtube. You are welcome.
https://www.amazon.com/SRAM-Frame-Protector-Brake-Housing/dp/B00553YVQQ
https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Protection-Protector-Shifter-Colors%EF%BC%8C/dp/B078WWWSJW

Most folks would use one of these products or just wrap the cable in electrical tape instead of selling the bike. But maybe that is too simple for you.

> When pro's were allowed to ride all of the Columbus spread of tubing, they surprisingly chose the Thron tubing as the best ride.
>
> I have had every Columbus tubing bike from SL to Brain and did not like any of them but I never tried Thron and so couldn't comment on them. But I have had bikes made of Oria tubing and THAT appears to be the same thing as Thron. If this is so, it is easy to see why the pro's liked Thron. The Oria tubing doesn't strongly rebound at the bottom of descents and hence my favorite steel bike of all time was a Basso Loto made from Oria tubing. Previous models were made from SL or SLX and hitting the bottom of a fast descent they would rebound so hard that it was scary. It felt like you might be thrown over the bars. Brain tubing didn't do this but I couldn't tell whether it was from the fact that the tubing wasn't as stiff or whether the oversize tubing simply didn't flex enough to not rebound.
>
> In any case I found a frameset made from Oria tubing in my size and will return to the larger sized framesets. Also on well made steel bike with steel forks you don't have to worry about the forks breaking. The Trek has no such fear since it has an aluminum fork, but most bikes these days have carbon fiber forks. It you order a new Waterford Racing you would normally get a carbon fiber fork unless you special order a steel one.

My Waterford is made from Reynolds 753 tubing and has a steel fork. I believe 753 is only for the main triangle and all the rest of the tubes are 531, including the fork. But not sure on that.

> In any case I will be interested in weighing an 11 speed Record steel bike to see how much difference in weight there is between that and the C50. On the Tuesday ride, the C50 rode so well that it was a pity that it was spoiled by the problem with the Garmin. So I sill be using the Garmin 800 until the new 830 arrives. I also have to up my training for the August centuries. I am so far out of shape now that 35 miles is hard. I expect a metric would put me out of action for a month. So I have a month and a half to get back into the century shape that I've been in for the last several years before "Let's Go Brandon".

Tommy, tommy, tommy. You once again show your true nature. Sad.