[FORTRAN] will persist for some time -- probably for at least the next decade. -- T. Cheatham

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Campy problem

SubjectAuthor
* Campy problemTom Kunich
+- Re: Campy problemrussellseaton1@yahoo.com
`* Re: Campy problemAMuzi
 +* Re: Campy problemTom Kunich
 |`- Re: Campy problemFrank Krygowski
 `* Re: Campy problemLou Holtman
  `- Re: Campy problemTom Kunich

1
Campy problem

<ebcd051b-b432-4977-a84f-5e27f5d97074n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=59548&group=rec.bicycles.tech#59548

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 14:06:17 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Campy problem
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sun, 10 Jul 2022 21:06 UTC

?I was on a ride a little while ago. Half of it was in to a pretty strong wind which was holding me down to about 12 mph so most of ,my slowing consisted of slowing or stopping pedaling. When I got to the far end and turned around with a tailwind something else was going on. The rear brake was completely inactive. I stopped and looked. The shoes were aligned properly. They appeared to be pulling all the way closed but there was no braking there.

All I did was tighten the brake cable and everything worked properly again. I guess that there is a stop in the lever that makes it feel like you're pulling the cable right but you're not. So that is something to keep an eye on. The lever was not bottoming out visually. Nor did it feel as if it was.

And no Frank, unless you have a 2018 Campy so that you have even a clue what you're talking about, your opinions are as worthless as your entire career has been.

Re: Campy problem

<64b5bf20-f417-4f6f-b1e0-88ca897667cfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=59556&group=rec.bicycles.tech#59556

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 15:58:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Campy problem
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Sun, 10 Jul 2022 22:58 UTC

On Sunday, July 10, 2022 at 4:06:18 PM UTC-5, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> ?I was on a ride a little while ago. Half of it was in to a pretty strong wind which was holding me down to about 12 mph so most of ,my slowing consisted of slowing or stopping pedaling. When I got to the far end and turned around with a tailwind something else was going on. The rear brake was completely inactive. I stopped and looked. The shoes were aligned properly. They appeared to be pulling all the way closed but there was no braking there..
>
> All I did was tighten the brake cable and everything worked properly again. I guess that there is a stop in the lever that makes it feel like you're pulling the cable right but you're not. So that is something to keep an eye on. The lever was not bottoming out visually. Nor did it feel as if it was.
>
> And no Frank, unless you have a 2018 Campy so that you have even a clue what you're talking about, your opinions are as worthless as your entire career has been.

Tommy boy, what does "tighten the brake cable" mean? Did you unloosen the pinch bolt and pull the cable tight in the housing with a pair of pliers and then retighten the pinch bolt with an Allen key? Thus taking slack out of the cable. Or??????

Re: Campy problem

<tafmc1$1g5pm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=59559&group=rec.bicycles.tech#59559

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 18:11:56 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Sun, 10 Jul 2022 23:11 UTC

On 7/10/2022 4:06 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> ?I was on a ride a little while ago. Half of it was in to a pretty strong wind which was holding me down to about 12 mph so most of ,my slowing consisted of slowing or stopping pedaling. When I got to the far end and turned around with a tailwind something else was going on. The rear brake was completely inactive. I stopped and looked. The shoes were aligned properly. They appeared to be pulling all the way closed but there was no braking there.
>
> All I did was tighten the brake cable and everything worked properly again. I guess that there is a stop in the lever that makes it feel like you're pulling the cable right but you're not. So that is something to keep an eye on. The lever was not bottoming out visually. Nor did it feel as if it was.
>
> And no Frank, unless you have a 2018 Campy so that you have even a clue what you're talking about, your opinions are as worthless as your entire career has been.

Are you familiar with the Ergo brake release button?

Otherwise improperly seated ferrule or a not quite tight
anchor happen with all brands.
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Re: Campy problem

<98a5fe62-42d3-4451-a252-ec80ec8ff112n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=59561&group=rec.bicycles.tech#59561

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 16:34:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sun, 10 Jul 2022 23:34 UTC

On Sunday, July 10, 2022 at 4:12:04 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
> On 7/10/2022 4:06 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > ?I was on a ride a little while ago. Half of it was in to a pretty strong wind which was holding me down to about 12 mph so most of ,my slowing consisted of slowing or stopping pedaling. When I got to the far end and turned around with a tailwind something else was going on. The rear brake was completely inactive. I stopped and looked. The shoes were aligned properly. They appeared to be pulling all the way closed but there was no braking there.
> >
> > All I did was tighten the brake cable and everything worked properly again. I guess that there is a stop in the lever that makes it feel like you're pulling the cable right but you're not. So that is something to keep an eye on. The lever was not bottoming out visually. Nor did it feel as if it was.
> >
> > And no Frank, unless you have a 2018 Campy so that you have even a clue what you're talking about, your opinions are as worthless as your entire career has been.
> >
> Are you familiar with the Ergo brake release button?
>
> Otherwise improperly seated ferrule or a not quite tight
> anchor happen with all brands.
The brake release button could be misused to over tighten a brake, this was rather the opposite. Three turns on the cable adjuster fixed it but I thought it was odd because is FELT like it was applied tightly and apparently it was pulled just against the rim and no tighter. But the lever wasn't clear back against the bar nor did the lever feel odd.

I suspect that inside the lever there is a rubber spacer that allows it to feel like you're pulling it tight when you have actually reached the cable pull limit.

Re: Campy problem

<tafvv8$1grmd$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=59571&group=rec.bicycles.tech#59571

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 21:55:51 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Mon, 11 Jul 2022 01:55 UTC

On 7/10/2022 7:34 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Sunday, July 10, 2022 at 4:12:04 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
>> On 7/10/2022 4:06 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>>> ?I was on a ride a little while ago. Half of it was in to a pretty strong wind which was holding me down to about 12 mph so most of ,my slowing consisted of slowing or stopping pedaling. When I got to the far end and turned around with a tailwind something else was going on. The rear brake was completely inactive. I stopped and looked. The shoes were aligned properly. They appeared to be pulling all the way closed but there was no braking there.
>>>
>>> All I did was tighten the brake cable and everything worked properly again. I guess that there is a stop in the lever that makes it feel like you're pulling the cable right but you're not. So that is something to keep an eye on. The lever was not bottoming out visually. Nor did it feel as if it was.
>>>
>>> And no Frank, unless you have a 2018 Campy so that you have even a clue what you're talking about, your opinions are as worthless as your entire career has been.
>>>
>> Are you familiar with the Ergo brake release button?
>>
>> Otherwise improperly seated ferrule or a not quite tight
>> anchor happen with all brands.
> The brake release button could be misused to over tighten a brake, this was rather the opposite. Three turns on the cable adjuster fixed it but I thought it was odd because is FELT like it was applied tightly and apparently it was pulled just against the rim and no tighter. But the lever wasn't clear back against the bar nor did the lever feel odd.
>
> I suspect that inside the lever there is a rubber spacer that allows it to feel like you're pulling it tight when you have actually reached the cable pull limit.

So many problems!

Campy probably inserted some special "confusion spacer" only in your
lever, Tom, nobody else's. They're obviously out to get you! :-)

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Campy problem

<6979a238-9c1e-44d4-85d5-b37c73e62ec6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=59582&group=rec.bicycles.tech#59582

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 04:31:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Mon, 11 Jul 2022 11:31 UTC

On Monday, July 11, 2022 at 1:12:04 AM UTC+2, AMuzi wrote:
> On 7/10/2022 4:06 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > ?I was on a ride a little while ago. Half of it was in to a pretty strong wind which was holding me down to about 12 mph so most of ,my slowing consisted of slowing or stopping pedaling. When I got to the far end and turned around with a tailwind something else was going on. The rear brake was completely inactive. I stopped and looked. The shoes were aligned properly. They appeared to be pulling all the way closed but there was no braking there.
> >
> > All I did was tighten the brake cable and everything worked properly again. I guess that there is a stop in the lever that makes it feel like you're pulling the cable right but you're not. So that is something to keep an eye on. The lever was not bottoming out visually. Nor did it feel as if it was.
> >
> > And no Frank, unless you have a 2018 Campy so that you have even a clue what you're talking about, your opinions are as worthless as your entire career has been.
> >
> Are you familiar with the Ergo brake release button?
>
> Otherwise improperly seated ferrule or a not quite tight
> anchor happen with all brands.

A dislocated ferrule would be my guess too. Happened to me last week after washing my bike.

Lou

Re: Campy problem

<0f20a477-a13e-43f0-9c8b-293a9df9ab1bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=59587&group=rec.bicycles.tech#59587

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 06:49:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 11 Jul 2022 13:49 UTC

On Monday, July 11, 2022 at 4:31:30 AM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
> On Monday, July 11, 2022 at 1:12:04 AM UTC+2, AMuzi wrote:
> > On 7/10/2022 4:06 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > > ?I was on a ride a little while ago. Half of it was in to a pretty strong wind which was holding me down to about 12 mph so most of ,my slowing consisted of slowing or stopping pedaling. When I got to the far end and turned around with a tailwind something else was going on. The rear brake was completely inactive. I stopped and looked. The shoes were aligned properly.. They appeared to be pulling all the way closed but there was no braking there.
> > >
> > > All I did was tighten the brake cable and everything worked properly again. I guess that there is a stop in the lever that makes it feel like you're pulling the cable right but you're not. So that is something to keep an eye on. The lever was not bottoming out visually. Nor did it feel as if it was.
> > >
> > > And no Frank, unless you have a 2018 Campy so that you have even a clue what you're talking about, your opinions are as worthless as your entire career has been.
> > >
> > Are you familiar with the Ergo brake release button?
> >
> > Otherwise improperly seated ferrule or a not quite tight
> > anchor happen with all brands.
> A dislocated ferrule would be my guess too. Happened to me last week after washing my bike.
>
> Lou
Well, that would be a good guess but neither the lever or the brake allows ferules to be used. If the cable was displaced, again the result could be the brake would be tighter and not looser. This obviously has something to do with the mechanism that allows you to change the distance from the handlebar that the lever is so that people with large or small hands can use the same lever. I suppose I could look that up but all it really means to me is that I have to watch the rear derailleur adjustment more closely.