Tomorrow's computers some time next month. -- DEC

tech / sci.physics.relativity / Re: what kind of light was used for the MMX, coherent?, monocromatic, solar light?

SubjectAuthor
* what kind of light was used for the MMX, coherent?, monocromatic,beda pietanza
+- Re: what kind of light was used for the MMX, coherent?, monocromatic,Dono.
+- Re: what kind of light was used for the MMX, coherent?, monocromatic,Python
+* Re: what kind of light was used for the MMX, coherent?, monocromatic,Sylvia Else
> [...]
|      `* Re: what kind of light was used for the MMX, coherent?, monocromatic,Michael Moroney
|       `* Re: what kind of light was used for the MMX, coherent?, monocromatic, solar lighMaciej Wozniak
|        `* Re: what kind of light was used for the MMX, coherent?, monocromatic,Michael Moroney
|         +* Re: what kind of light was used for the MMX, coherent?, monocromatic,Maciej Wozniak
|         |`* Re: what kind of light was used for the MMX, coherent?, monocromatic,Michael Moroney
|         | `- Re: what kind of light was used for the MMX, coherent?, monocromatic,Maciej Wozniak
|         `* Re: what kind of light was used for the MMX, coherent?, monocromatic, solar lighTom Roberts
|          `- Re: what kind of light was used for the MMX, coherent?, monocromatic,Maciej Wozniak
`- Re: what kind of light was used for the MMX, coherent?, monocromatic,Paul B. Andersen

Pages:12
Re: what kind of light was used for the MMX, coherent?, monocromatic, solar light?

<d0bdd241-4363-4051-b307-e6ed82d2053an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=59759&group=sci.physics.relativity#59759

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 18:44:02 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: what kind of light was used for the MMX, coherent?, monocromatic,
solar light?
From: prokaryo...@gmail.com (Prokaryotic Capase Homolog)
 by: Prokaryotic Capase H - Thu, 13 May 2021 01:44 UTC

On Wednesday, May 12, 2021 at 5:18:24 PM UTC-5, beda-p...@libero.it wrote:

> thanks for the link, the picture of the fringes is very instructive, though I am surprised of such fringes obtained from incoherent white light spectrum,

Think of a soap bubble.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Soap_bubble_performance_in_Marrickville.jpg

You can see colorful interference fringes, because even with white
light, the light reflecting off the near surface of the bubble is
strongly correlated with the light reflected off the far surface, i.e.
light which has been emitted only a few femtoseconds previous
(approx 3x10^-15 seconds).

On the other hand, you can't see interference fringes from light
reflecting off the two surfaces of a goldfish bowl because white
light reflecting off the near surface of the bowl shows practically
no correlations with light reflected off the far surface, i.e. light
which has been emitted approx 1.5x10^-11 seconds previous.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:The_shelter_of_fish.jpg

In the MMX, by keeping the arm lengths the same to within microns,
you are comparing light emitted from a white source with light
from the same source emitted a few femtoseconds previous.

It's all a matter of temporal coherence.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coherence_(physics)#Temporal_coherence

> let me ask, if you ever heard of an experiment about two clocks, one posit on the pole and one on the equator, and their eventual wobbling???, or any of the kind

Re: what kind of light was used for the MMX, coherent?, monocromatic, solar light?

<e9ccc430-1fc9-4c53-9cbb-4ea11b28222an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=59763&group=sci.physics.relativity#59763

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 21:47:22 -0700 (PDT)
solar light?
From: maluwozn...@gmail.com (Maciej Wozniak)
 by: Maciej Wozniak - Thu, 13 May 2021 04:47 UTC

On Wednesday, 12 May 2021 at 23:21:16 UTC+2, Michael Moroney wrote:
> On 5/12/2021 3:55 PM, Maciej Wozniak wrote:
> >> No. One can NEVER make any positive statement about some hypothetical
> >> but undetectable thing.
> >
> > An idiot said! An idiot can't be wrong!
> > The idiot's way is THE BEST WAY, and you're FORCED to it.
> > Remember.
> >
> At least you realize that you're the idiot here.
>
> Anyway, what about the invisible pink fairy theory?

Better than theory of a cat simultaneously dead and
alive, transforming into an ordinary cat when anyone
looks at it. Better also than the theory of 26 (or
something like that) dimensions, collapsed to
the size in which you can no way detect them,
neither by seeing nor otherwise.

And also better than theory that we're "FORCED
to synchronize them [the clocks] such that inertia
and space are isotropic", when ANYONE can check
that GPS crew has synchronized the clocks completely
differently.

Re: what kind of light was used for the MMX, coherent?, monocromatic, solar light?

<s7ji4e$19hp$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=59781&group=sci.physics.relativity#59781

From: bodkin...@gmail.com (Odd Bodkin)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Subject: Re: what kind of light was used for the MMX, coherent?,
monocromatic, solar light?
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 15:54:54 +0000 (UTC)
<771ad841-8fc7-4a90-bed9-e5fee1dd277dn@googlegroups.com>
 by: Odd Bodkin - Thu, 13 May 2021 15:54 UTC

beda pietanza <beda-pietanza@libero.it> wrote:
> Il giorno mercoledì 12 maggio 2021 alle 21:57:43 UTC+2 bodk...@gmail.com ha scritto:
>> Tom Roberts <tjrobe...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> No. One can NEVER make any positive statement about some hypothetical
>>> but undetectable thing.
>>>
>>> Nobody has ever presented an aether theory that agrees with quantum
>>> phenomena. Until and unless someone does, the aether is completely
>>> useless. That you attempt to advocate some ill-defined aether theory
>>> merely shows that you do not understand very basic physics and
>>> experiments -- your IGNORANCE is pervasive.
>>>
>>> Rather than wasting so much time posting nonsense to the 'net, you
>>> should spend your time STUDYING.
>>>
>>> Tom Roberts
>>>
>> Put a slightly different way, it is unscientific to make a hypothesis whose
>> correctness or existence cannot be verified through an experimental test.
>> It simply does not matter whether it feels intuitive or consistent with a
>> particular world-view or is less of a leap from a prior perspective. For
>> some people, a monotheist deity feels completely intuitive and is
>> consistent with their world view, but evidence for the deity consistently
>> lies beyond the edge — the so-called God of the Gaps. This is why such
>> hypotheses are compared to “invisible fairies who cover their footprints” —
>> there is functionally and philosophically no difference between such a
>> hypothesis and those fairies.
>>
>> The key here is that *subjective* appeal is inconsequential. The only thing
>> that is compelling in science is *objective* appeal, based on corroborated
>> evidence, which the scientific community agrees shall be considered
>> compelling enough to change people’s minds.
>>
>> --
>> Odd Bodkin -- maker of fine toys, tools, tables
>
> beda
> the indirect evidence of the presence of the ether is still the best guess up to now,

That does not make sense.

--
Odd Bodkin — Maker of fine toys, tools, tables

Re: what kind of light was used for the MMX, coherent?, monocromatic, solar light?

<VgdnI.15049$L68d.9276@fx35.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=59790&group=sci.physics.relativity#59790

From: paul.b.a...@paulba.no (Paul B. Andersen)
solar light?
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 19:24:04 +0200
 by: Paul B. Andersen - Thu, 13 May 2021 17:24 UTC

Den 13.05.2021 00:24, skrev beda pietanza:
> beda
> a minute later I send the previous post I ran into this:
> https://thatsmaths.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/two-clocks1.pdf

It is nonsense.

It is a well known fact that synchronous clocks on the geoid
will stay in sync. (UTC clocks, synchronous in the ECI-frame)

It is also a known fact that GR predicts this,
which the author Peter Lynch tries to prove.

But his 'proof' is wrong.

In the following:
G = gravitational constant
M = mass of Earth
c = speed of light
a = equatorial radius of the Earth
b = polar radius of the Earth
Ω = the angular velocity of the Earth

He writes:
The gravitational potential at the north pole is:
Φ_NP = -GM/b
The potential due to the apparent gravity at equator is:
Φ_EQ = - GM/a - Ω²a²/2

I quote:
"
Now let us assume that the Earth’s surface is isopotential
for apparent gravity, i.e., Φ_NP = Φ_EQ.
Then GM(1/b−1/a) = Ω²a²/2 (2)
"
He knows that that the clocks on the geoid stay in sync,
and then he _defines_ that equation (2) must be true!

But:
GM(1/b−1/a) = 12520 m²/s²
and
Ω²a²/2 = 108160 m²/s²

The latter 'potential' is more than 8 times greater
than the former ditto, and can obviously not be _defined_
to be equal.

The author then uses GR and calculates what is equivalent to
what we get from the Schwarzschild metric:
dτ₁/dτ₂ = √(1−2⋅GM/(c²a)−Ω²a²/c²)/√(1−2⋅GM/(c²b))
≈ (1−GM/(c²a)−Ω²a²/2c²)/(1−GM/(c²b))
≈ (1+(GM/c²)(1/b−1/a)−Ω²a²/2c²)
≈ 1 - 1.064e-12

Which is the ratio between the apparent rate of two clocks where:
Clock #1 is orbiting the mass M once a sidereal day,
at a distance a from the centre of M.
Clock #2 is stationary a distance b from the centre of M,
where M is a spherical mass with radius less than a and b.

In this case clock #1 would run slow relative to clock #2,
even if the the former clock is higher than the latter.
The higher speed would more than compensate for the altitude.

You can see from the equation above that if (2) had been
correct then dτ₁/dτ₂ = 1, which was Peter Lynch's point.

Bottom line:
Due to the oblateness of the Earth you can't use
the Schwarzschild metric on its usual form to calculate
the apparent rate of clocks on the surface of the Earth (geoid).

The gravitational potential is not GM/r but a more complex expression.
Se equation (13) in:
Neil Ashby: Relativity in the Global Positioning System
https://paulba.no/paper/Ashby.pdf

--
Paul

https://paulba.no/

Re: what kind of light was used for the MMX, coherent?, monocromatic, solar light?

<f3694f7c-78f4-499e-8a5c-7d0d03eb7a1dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=59793&group=sci.physics.relativity#59793

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 10:47:19 -0700 (PDT)
solar light?
From: maluwozn...@gmail.com (Maciej Wozniak)
 by: Maciej Wozniak - Thu, 13 May 2021 17:47 UTC

On Thursday, 13 May 2021 at 19:24:09 UTC+2, Paul B. Andersen wrote:
> Den 13.05.2021 00:24, skrev beda pietanza:
> > beda
> > a minute later I send the previous post I ran into this:
> > https://thatsmaths.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/two-clocks1.pdf
> It is nonsense.
>
> It is a well known fact that synchronous clocks on the geoid
> will stay in sync. (UTC clocks, synchronous in the ECI-frame)

It is a well known by poor idiot Paul fact; unfortunately, inconsistent
with his beloved Shit and probably fabricated.

> It is also a known fact that GR predicts this,

It's an obvious lie, actually.

Re: what kind of light was used for the MMX, coherent?, monocromatic, solar light?

<UOednTYI65ms9gD9nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=59794&group=sci.physics.relativity#59794

solar light?
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
From: tjrobert...@sbcglobal.net (Tom Roberts)
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 13:08:49 -0500
 by: Tom Roberts - Thu, 13 May 2021 18:08 UTC

On 5/13/21 12:24 PM, Paul B. Andersen wrote:
> Den 13.05.2021 00:24, skrev beda pietanza:
>> a minute later I send the previous post I ran into this:
>> https://thatsmaths.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/two-clocks1.pdf
>
> It is nonsense.

Hmmm. Its basic conclusion is correct, but it is phrased incorrectly,
and his "proof" is quite poor (as you said).

Yes, any two clocks at rest on earth's geoid will remain in sync,
including one at the pole and the other at the equator. But this is a
prediction of GR, and SR has nothing to do with it. What Lynch calls "SR
and GR effects" are more properly known as "time dilation due to
relative motion" and "time dilation due to differences in gravitational
potential". While the first is predicted by SR, both are predicted by
GR. The separation he envisions works only in weak-field gravity.

[In olden days, calling those "SR and GR effects"
was common, albeit wrong. For instance, Hafele and
Keating called them that.]

BTW Lynch is not using the Schwarzschild metric, he is using the
Newtonian approximation to GR, without bothering to say so. He has
implicitly assumed a weak field.

Tom Roberts

Re: what kind of light was used for the MMX, coherent?, monocromatic, solar light?

<d7e9e1c4-4bf1-4d32-bb12-6301bb5d0f40n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=59796&group=sci.physics.relativity#59796

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 11:35:48 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: what kind of light was used for the MMX, coherent?, monocromatic, solar light?
From: maluwozn...@gmail.com (Maciej Wozniak)
 by: Maciej Wozniak - Thu, 13 May 2021 18:35 UTC

On Thursday, 13 May 2021 at 20:08:58 UTC+2, tjrob137 wrote:
> On 5/13/21 12:24 PM, Paul B. Andersen wrote:
> > Den 13.05.2021 00:24, skrev beda pietanza:
> >> a minute later I send the previous post I ran into this:
> >> https://thatsmaths.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/two-clocks1.pdf
> >
> > It is nonsense.
> Hmmm. Its basic conclusion is correct, but it is phrased incorrectly,
> and his "proof" is quite poor (as you said).
>
> Yes, any two clocks at rest on earth's geoid will remain in sync,
> including one at the pole and the other at the equator. But this is a
> prediction of GR

What a bullshit. Is your GR predicting such effect for any
rotating sphere or just especially for Earth?

Re: what kind of light was used for the MMX, coherent?, monocromatic, solar light?

<s7ju05$1esf$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=59800&group=sci.physics.relativity#59800

From: moro...@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael Moroney)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
solar light?
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 15:17:30 -0400
 by: Michael Moroney - Thu, 13 May 2021 19:17 UTC

On 5/13/2021 2:35 PM, Maciej Wozniak wrote:
> On Thursday, 13 May 2021 at 20:08:58 UTC+2, tjrob137 wrote:
>>>
>>> It is nonsense.
>> Hmmm. Its basic conclusion is correct, but it is phrased incorrectly,
>> and his "proof" is quite poor (as you said).
>>
>> Yes, any two clocks at rest on earth's geoid will remain in sync,
>> including one at the pole and the other at the equator. But this is a
>> prediction of GR
>
> What a bullshit. Is your GR predicting such effect for any
> rotating sphere or just especially for Earth?

He said 'geoid', fool.

Re: what kind of light was used for the MMX, coherent?, monocromatic, solar light?

<4ada1a6f-47f4-420f-ba8c-a6360d1b4482n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=59802&group=sci.physics.relativity#59802

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 12:55:41 -0700 (PDT)
References: <ec344700-f344-423a-99f5-cee30b506d40n@googlegroups.com> <ifp2mhF5ughU1@mid.individual.net> <4235895d-9c31-4732-8798-7b2943d915bbn@googlegroups.com> <23941bf3-7c4b-4457-84ef-ca4813a2fff6n@googlegroups.com> <642caab9-fa2d-4d30-a73f-9fee6afb9214n@googlegroups.com> <VgdnI.15049$L68d.9276@fx35.ams4> <UOednTYI65ms9gD9nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com> <d7e9e1c4-4bf1-4d32-bb12-6301bb5d0f40n@googlegroups.com> <s7ju05$1esf$2@gioia.aioe.org>
From: maluwozn...@gmail.com (Maciej Wozniak)
 by: Maciej Wozniak - Thu, 13 May 2021 19:55 UTC

On Thursday, 13 May 2021 at 21:17:30 UTC+2, Michael Moroney wrote:
> On 5/13/2021 2:35 PM, Maciej Wozniak wrote:

> >> Hmmm. Its basic conclusion is correct, but it is phrased incorrectly,
> >> and his "proof" is quite poor (as you said).
> >>
> >> Yes, any two clocks at rest on earth's geoid will remain in sync,
> >> including one at the pole and the other at the equator. But this is a
> >> prediction of GR
> >
> > What a bullshit. Is your GR predicting such effect for any
> > rotating sphere or just especially for Earth?
> >
> He said 'geoid', fool.

Yes, he did, fool. So, is his GR shit predicting such effect for any
rotating sphere or just especially for Earth?

Re: what kind of light was used for the MMX, coherent?, monocromatic, solar light?

<s7k0le$of8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=59804&group=sci.physics.relativity#59804

From: moro...@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael Moroney)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
solar light?
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 16:02:58 -0400
 by: Michael Moroney - Thu, 13 May 2021 20:02 UTC

On 5/13/2021 3:55 PM, Maciej Wozniak wrote:
> On Thursday, 13 May 2021 at 21:17:30 UTC+2, Michael Moroney wrote:

>>> What a bullshit. Is your GR predicting such effect for any
>>> rotating sphere or just especially for Earth?
>>>
>> He said 'geoid', fool.
>
> Yes, he did, fool. So, is his GR shit predicting such effect for any
> rotating sphere or just especially for Earth?

You really do have a short attention span. He said 'geoid', which in
this context means an inertial earth-centered frame. Meaning it's
non-rotating. Of course you'll now run to a dictionary and whine that
that's not the definition there, or that in real life the earth is
rotating, bla bla bla. But the GPS does this as well, computes time and
position for a non-rotating geoid and then tacks on the rotation effects
at the end of its calculations.

Re: what kind of light was used for the MMX, coherent?, monocromatic, solar light?

<0d45c5b6-0f35-4f5b-919c-784725763313n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=59805&group=sci.physics.relativity#59805

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!paganini.bofh.team!news.dns-netz.com!news.freedyn.net!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed8.news.xs4all.nl!fdcspool3.netnews.com!news-out.netnews.com!news.alt.net!fdc3.netnews.com!peer01.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer02.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!news-out.google.com!nntp.google.com!postnews.google.com!google-groups.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 13:20:35 -0700 (PDT)
solar light?
From: maluwozn...@gmail.com (Maciej Wozniak)
 by: Maciej Wozniak - Thu, 13 May 2021 20:20 UTC

On Thursday, 13 May 2021 at 22:03:00 UTC+2, Michael Moroney wrote:
> On 5/13/2021 3:55 PM, Maciej Wozniak wrote:

> >> He said 'geoid', fool.
> >
> > Yes, he did, fool. So, is his GR shit predicting such effect for any
> > rotating sphere or just especially for Earth?
> >
> You really do have a short attention span. He said 'geoid', which in
> this context means an inertial earth-centered frame.

Sorry, stupid Mike, no, "geoid" absolutely doesn't mean "frame",
neither inertial earth-centered nor any other; "geoid" is a kind
of shape, and earth geoid IS rotating; unless, of course, you don't
believe Copernicus.

And poor idiot Tom is mumbling without any contact with
either reality or even with his moronic physics. As usual.

Re: what kind of light was used for the MMX, coherent?, monocromatic, solar light?

<s7k1ta$16jj$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=59806&group=sci.physics.relativity#59806

From: moro...@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael Moroney)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
solar light?
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 16:24:15 -0400
<s7k0le$of8$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<0d45c5b6-0f35-4f5b-919c-784725763313n@googlegroups.com>
 by: Michael Moroney - Thu, 13 May 2021 20:24 UTC

On 5/13/2021 4:20 PM, Maciej Wozniak wrote:
> On Thursday, 13 May 2021 at 22:03:00 UTC+2, Michael Moroney wrote:

>>> Yes, he did, fool. So, is his GR shit predicting such effect for any
>>> rotating sphere or just especially for Earth?
>>>
>> You really do have a short attention span. He said 'geoid', which in
>> this context means an inertial earth-centered frame.
>
> Sorry, stupid Mike, no, "geoid" absolutely doesn't mean "frame",
> neither inertial earth-centered nor any other; "geoid" is a kind
> of shape, and earth geoid IS rotating; unless, of course, you don't
> believe Copernicus.

Just as I said. You went whining for the dictionary definition, not that
used by physicists for this situation.
You are so predictable.

Re: what kind of light was used for the MMX, coherent?, monocromatic, solar light?

<0c381173-db4d-4cda-913b-ff7df7cddb5fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=59807&group=sci.physics.relativity#59807

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 13:32:50 -0700 (PDT)
solar light?
From: maluwozn...@gmail.com (Maciej Wozniak)
 by: Maciej Wozniak - Thu, 13 May 2021 20:32 UTC

On Thursday, 13 May 2021 at 22:24:17 UTC+2, Michael Moroney wrote:
> On 5/13/2021 4:20 PM, Maciej Wozniak wrote:

> >> You really do have a short attention span. He said 'geoid', which in
> >> this context means an inertial earth-centered frame.
> >
> > Sorry, stupid Mike, no, "geoid" absolutely doesn't mean "frame",
> > neither inertial earth-centered nor any other; "geoid" is a kind
> > of shape, and earth geoid IS rotating; unless, of course, you don't
> > believe Copernicus.
> >
> Just as I said.

No.

> You went whining for the dictionary definition, not that
> used by physicists for this situation.

Bullshit, stupid Mike, your moronic gurus don't have any
special definition of a "geoid". You're fabricating, as
expected from a fanatic idiot you are.

Re: what kind of light was used for the MMX, coherent?, monocromatic, solar light?

<8emdnbjVrasgTAD9nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=59816&group=sci.physics.relativity#59816

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
References: <ec344700-f344-423a-99f5-cee30b506d40n@googlegroups.com> <ifp2mhF5ughU1@mid.individual.net> <4235895d-9c31-4732-8798-7b2943d915bbn@googlegroups.com> <23941bf3-7c4b-4457-84ef-ca4813a2fff6n@googlegroups.com> <642caab9-fa2d-4d30-a73f-9fee6afb9214n@googlegroups.com> <VgdnI.15049$L68d.9276@fx35.ams4> <UOednTYI65ms9gD9nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com> <d7e9e1c4-4bf1-4d32-bb12-6301bb5d0f40n@googlegroups.com> <s7ju05$1esf$2@gioia.aioe.org> <4ada1a6f-47f4-420f-ba8c-a6360d1b4482n@googlegroups.com> <s7k0le$of8$1@gioia.aioe.org>
From: tjrobert...@sbcglobal.net (Tom Roberts)
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 20:26:20 -0500
 by: Tom Roberts - Fri, 14 May 2021 01:26 UTC

On 5/13/21 3:02 PM, Michael Moroney wrote:
> [I] said 'geoid', which in
> this context means an inertial earth-centered frame. Meaning it's
> non-rotating.

This is wrong. Earth's geoid is the surface of an oblate spheroid that
is everywhere the radius of mean sea level [#] and rotating with the
earth -- an equipotential surface in the weak-field Newtonian
approximation to GR. At any given location the "time dilation" due to
its rotation is exactly cancelled by its "time dilation" due to gravitation.

[#] In most locations on land the geoid is below
the surface, and is often unreachable.

> But the GPS does this as well, computes time and
> position for a non-rotating geoid and then tacks on the rotation effects
> at the end of its calculations.

Again not true. GPS time, like UTC, is defined for clocks at rest on
earth's geoid (i.e. rotating with the earth). Of course ground-based
clocks are not exactly on the geoid, so a correction for their altitude
is applied (which depends on latitude). These corrections are very much
smaller than the corrections applied to satellite clocks.

Tom Roberts

Re: what kind of light was used for the MMX, coherent?, monocromatic, solar light?

<4caebec4-b619-4f5e-ae02-d7d0ce32f121n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=59820&group=sci.physics.relativity#59820

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 22:42:17 -0700 (PDT)
solar light?
From: maluwozn...@gmail.com (Maciej Wozniak)
 by: Maciej Wozniak - Fri, 14 May 2021 05:42 UTC

On Friday, 14 May 2021 at 03:26:28 UTC+2, tjrob137 wrote:

s on the rotation effects
> > at the end of its calculations.
> Again not true. GPS time, like UTC, is defined for clocks at rest on
> earth's geoid (i.e. rotating with the earth).

See, stupid Mike?
And, Tom, according to your moronic Shit times for clocks
at rest on earth's geoid vary. Ever heard of the twins paradox?