You have junk mail.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: My 7 speed update question

SubjectAuthor
* My 7 speed update questionMark Cleary
+* Re: My 7 speed update questionAMuzi
|`* Re: My 7 speed update questionFrank Krygowski
| `- Re: My 7 speed update questionFrank Krygowski
+* Re: My 7 speed update questionTom Kunich
|+* Re: My 7 speed update questionAMuzi
||+- Re: My 7 speed update questionJohn B.
||`- Re: My 7 speed update questionTom Kunich
|`- Re: My 7 speed update questionMark Cleary
`- Re: My 7 speed update questionFrank Krygowski

1
My 7 speed update question

<36ba88d6-3cfa-48cf-8328-ed91ccd68655n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=60538&group=rec.bicycles.tech#60538

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 14:33:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: My 7 speed update question
From: deaconmj...@gmail.com (Mark Cleary)
 by: Mark Cleary - Fri, 29 Jul 2022 21:33 UTC

I managed to get my son's friend's, 7 speed old Shimano 200gs shifter replaced. I just bought a generic 7 speed shifter and installed. The rear is indexed the front is friction but actually the front works fine. I put new housing and the bike shifts fine but not always perfect. It generally downshifts fine but on occasion will not upshift and then hitting it again it eventually jumps to the required cog. I fiddled and fiddled but at some point, you just say it is pretty close.

So to me this is a crude system but works at least most of the time. My question is if this is pretty typical that these old 7 speeds really did no shifter always correct. It is not really a problem as such to me it is almost as if it is friction shifting in essence. The shifters only cost $13 for a pair with cables.

I did what Andrew said cut the part off the brake and manage to get the brakes ok they will stop the bike. Running pretty top-quality stuff myself the whole bike to me is worth nothing but it does ride and get one around. Maybe I should understand how some deal with bikes as simply very utilitarian and maybe just going to the corner store and back.
Deacon Mark

Re: My 7 speed update question

<tc1mpj$3km63$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=60539&group=rec.bicycles.tech#60539

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: My 7 speed update question
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 17:25:58 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Fri, 29 Jul 2022 22:25 UTC

On 7/29/2022 4:33 PM, Mark Cleary wrote:
> I managed to get my son's friend's, 7 speed old Shimano 200gs shifter replaced. I just bought a generic 7 speed shifter and installed. The rear is indexed the front is friction but actually the front works fine. I put new housing and the bike shifts fine but not always perfect. It generally downshifts fine but on occasion will not upshift and then hitting it again it eventually jumps to the required cog. I fiddled and fiddled but at some point, you just say it is pretty close.
>
> So to me this is a crude system but works at least most of the time. My question is if this is pretty typical that these old 7 speeds really did no shifter always correct. It is not really a problem as such to me it is almost as if it is friction shifting in essence. The shifters only cost $13 for a pair with cables.
>
> I did what Andrew said cut the part off the brake and manage to get the brakes ok they will stop the bike. Running pretty top-quality stuff myself the whole bike to me is worth nothing but it does ride and get one around. Maybe I should understand how some deal with bikes as simply very utilitarian and maybe just going to the corner store and back.
> Deacon Mark

Congratulations.

Yes, seven speed is quite a robust format -doesn't take much
for 'fine adjustements' and good seven chains last a very
long time. As you note, good choice when building up an
urban errand bike such as my grandson's:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/rlsand5.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Re: My 7 speed update question

<e6d4eed9-3b84-4aef-a59d-6273423bc81bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=60541&group=rec.bicycles.tech#60541

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 16:01:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 29 Jul 2022 23:01 UTC

On Friday, July 29, 2022 at 2:33:49 PM UTC-7, deaco...@gmail.com wrote:
> I managed to get my son's friend's, 7 speed old Shimano 200gs shifter replaced. I just bought a generic 7 speed shifter and installed. The rear is indexed the front is friction but actually the front works fine. I put new housing and the bike shifts fine but not always perfect. It generally downshifts fine but on occasion will not upshift and then hitting it again it eventually jumps to the required cog. I fiddled and fiddled but at some point, you just say it is pretty close.
>
> So to me this is a crude system but works at least most of the time. My question is if this is pretty typical that these old 7 speeds really did no shifter always correct. It is not really a problem as such to me it is almost as if it is friction shifting in essence. The shifters only cost $13 for a pair with cables.
>
> I did what Andrew said cut the part off the brake and manage to get the brakes ok they will stop the bike. Running pretty top-quality stuff myself the whole bike to me is worth nothing but it does ride and get one around. Maybe I should understand how some deal with bikes as simply very utilitarian and maybe just going to the corner store and back.
> Deacon Mark

I haven't been following you very closely but it that bike has a drop bar you can buy the Chinese brifters from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Micronew-SB-R472-Shifter-Shimano-Shifters/dp/B078NQFM1L/ref=asc_df_B078NQFM1L?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80264400674312&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583863992626061&psc=1

The shifting science is pretty cut and dried by now so the only chance you take is it being a manufacturing error. So I would make sure of the warranty on it.

Re: My 7 speed update question

<tc1qom$3l084$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=60543&group=rec.bicycles.tech#60543

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 18:33:46 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Fri, 29 Jul 2022 23:33 UTC

On 7/29/2022 6:01 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Friday, July 29, 2022 at 2:33:49 PM UTC-7, deaco...@gmail.com wrote:
>> I managed to get my son's friend's, 7 speed old Shimano 200gs shifter replaced. I just bought a generic 7 speed shifter and installed. The rear is indexed the front is friction but actually the front works fine. I put new housing and the bike shifts fine but not always perfect. It generally downshifts fine but on occasion will not upshift and then hitting it again it eventually jumps to the required cog. I fiddled and fiddled but at some point, you just say it is pretty close.
>>
>> So to me this is a crude system but works at least most of the time. My question is if this is pretty typical that these old 7 speeds really did no shifter always correct. It is not really a problem as such to me it is almost as if it is friction shifting in essence. The shifters only cost $13 for a pair with cables.
>>
>> I did what Andrew said cut the part off the brake and manage to get the brakes ok they will stop the bike. Running pretty top-quality stuff myself the whole bike to me is worth nothing but it does ride and get one around. Maybe I should understand how some deal with bikes as simply very utilitarian and maybe just going to the corner store and back.
>> Deacon Mark
>
> I haven't been following you very closely but it that bike has a drop bar you can buy the Chinese brifters from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Micronew-SB-R472-Shifter-Shimano-Shifters/dp/B078NQFM1L/ref=asc_df_B078NQFM1L?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80264400674312&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583863992626061&psc=1
>
> The shifting science is pretty cut and dried by now so the only chance you take is it being a manufacturing error. So I would make sure of the warranty on it.

'chinese' and 'warranty' in the same paragraph!

That's hilarious

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: My 7 speed update question

<a3952d1c-44c2-478e-9301-3bfb489b2dban@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=60544&group=rec.bicycles.tech#60544

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 16:40:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: deaconmj...@gmail.com (Mark Cleary)
 by: Mark Cleary - Fri, 29 Jul 2022 23:40 UTC

On Friday, July 29, 2022 at 6:01:16 PM UTC-5, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, July 29, 2022 at 2:33:49 PM UTC-7, deaco...@gmail.com wrote:
> > I managed to get my son's friend's, 7 speed old Shimano 200gs shifter replaced. I just bought a generic 7 speed shifter and installed. The rear is indexed the front is friction but actually the front works fine. I put new housing and the bike shifts fine but not always perfect. It generally downshifts fine but on occasion will not upshift and then hitting it again it eventually jumps to the required cog. I fiddled and fiddled but at some point, you just say it is pretty close.
> >
> > So to me this is a crude system but works at least most of the time. My question is if this is pretty typical that these old 7 speeds really did no shifter always correct. It is not really a problem as such to me it is almost as if it is friction shifting in essence. The shifters only cost $13 for a pair with cables.
> >
> > I did what Andrew said cut the part off the brake and manage to get the brakes ok they will stop the bike. Running pretty top-quality stuff myself the whole bike to me is worth nothing but it does ride and get one around. Maybe I should understand how some deal with bikes as simply very utilitarian and maybe just going to the corner store and back.
> > Deacon Mark
> I haven't been following you very closely but it that bike has a drop bar you can buy the Chinese brifters from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Micronew-SB-R472-Shifter-Shimano-Shifters/dp/B078NQFM1L/ref=asc_df_B078NQFM1L?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80264400674312&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583863992626061&psc=1
>
> The shifting science is pretty cut and dried by now so the only chance you take is it being a manufacturing error. So I would make sure of the warranty on it.
Andrew the bike in that picture is absolutely beautiful compared to what I have in front of me. THis however, will get one down to the local Casey's for any beer or donuts to haul back in your backpack.

Tom this bike is the farthest thing from a drop handlebar bike as you can get not even close.

Deacon Mark

Re: My 7 speed update question

<42v8ehpgm6qatrlcoc0voc14dro8re5oeq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=60545&group=rec.bicycles.tech#60545

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 07:34:38 +0700
 by: John B. - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 00:34 UTC

On Fri, 29 Jul 2022 18:33:46 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 7/29/2022 6:01 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>> On Friday, July 29, 2022 at 2:33:49 PM UTC-7, deaco...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> I managed to get my son's friend's, 7 speed old Shimano 200gs shifter replaced. I just bought a generic 7 speed shifter and installed. The rear is indexed the front is friction but actually the front works fine. I put new housing and the bike shifts fine but not always perfect. It generally downshifts fine but on occasion will not upshift and then hitting it again it eventually jumps to the required cog. I fiddled and fiddled but at some point, you just say it is pretty close.
>>>
>>> So to me this is a crude system but works at least most of the time. My question is if this is pretty typical that these old 7 speeds really did no shifter always correct. It is not really a problem as such to me it is almost as if it is friction shifting in essence. The shifters only cost $13 for a pair with cables.
>>>
>>> I did what Andrew said cut the part off the brake and manage to get the brakes ok they will stop the bike. Running pretty top-quality stuff myself the whole bike to me is worth nothing but it does ride and get one around. Maybe I should understand how some deal with bikes as simply very utilitarian and maybe just going to the corner store and back.
>>> Deacon Mark
>>
>> I haven't been following you very closely but it that bike has a drop bar you can buy the Chinese brifters from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Micronew-SB-R472-Shifter-Shimano-Shifters/dp/B078NQFM1L/ref=asc_df_B078NQFM1L?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80264400674312&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583863992626061&psc=1
>>
>> The shifting science is pretty cut and dried by now so the only chance you take is it being a manufacturing error. So I would make sure of the warranty on it.
>>

>'chinese' and 'warranty' in the same paragraph!
>
>That's hilarious

Shimano (Kunshan) Bicycle Components Co., Ltd. was established in
Kunshan city in 1992. It is the first Shimano factory in China.

30 years already (:-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: My 7 speed update question

<tc2393$3of15$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=60548&group=rec.bicycles.tech#60548

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 21:58:58 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 01:58 UTC

On 7/29/2022 6:25 PM, AMuzi wrote:
> On 7/29/2022 4:33 PM, Mark Cleary wrote:
>> I managed to get my son's friend's, 7 speed old Shimano 200gs shifter
>> replaced. I just bought a generic 7 speed shifter and installed. The
>> rear is indexed the front is friction but actually the front works
>> fine. I put new housing and the bike shifts fine but not always
>> perfect. It generally downshifts fine but on occasion will not upshift
>> and then hitting it again it eventually jumps to the required cog. I
>> fiddled and fiddled but at some point, you just say it is pretty close.
>>
>> So to me this is a crude system but works at least most of the time.
>> My question is if this is pretty typical that these old 7 speeds
>> really did no shifter always correct. It is not really a problem as
>> such to me it is almost as if it is friction shifting in essence. The
>> shifters only cost $13 for a pair with cables.
>>
>> I did what Andrew said cut the part off the brake and manage to get
>> the brakes ok they will stop the bike. Running pretty top-quality
>> stuff myself the whole bike to me is worth nothing but it does ride
>> and get one around. Maybe I should understand how some deal with bikes
>> as simply very utilitarian and maybe just going to the corner store
>> and back.
>> Deacon Mark
>>

> Congratulations.
>
> Yes, seven speed is quite a robust format -doesn't take much for 'fine
> adjustements' and good seven chains last a very long time.  As you note,
> good choice when building up an urban errand bike such as my grandson's:
>
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/rlsand5.jpg

My browser complains that your site is unavailable now. Is it down? I'd
like to see the bike!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: My 7 speed update question

<tc23d7$3of15$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=60549&group=rec.bicycles.tech#60549

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 22:01:10 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 02:01 UTC

On 7/29/2022 5:33 PM, Mark Cleary wrote:
> I managed to get my son's friend's, 7 speed old Shimano 200gs shifter replaced. I just bought a generic 7 speed shifter and installed. The rear is indexed the front is friction but actually the front works fine. I put new housing and the bike shifts fine but not always perfect. It generally downshifts fine but on occasion will not upshift and then hitting it again it eventually jumps to the required cog. I fiddled and fiddled but at some point, you just say it is pretty close.

In my experience, good downshifts but slow upshifts are often due to
cable friction somewhere. I get that problem most often from the spot
where the cable passes under the bottom bracket. I suppose it could also
come from sticky pivots or other friction in the derailleur itself.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: My 7 speed update question

<tc23ns$3ogp9$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=60551&group=rec.bicycles.tech#60551

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 22:06:51 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 02:06 UTC

On 7/29/2022 9:58 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 7/29/2022 6:25 PM, AMuzi wrote:
>> On 7/29/2022 4:33 PM, Mark Cleary wrote:
>>> I managed to get my son's friend's, 7 speed old Shimano 200gs shifter
>>> replaced. I just bought a generic 7 speed shifter and installed. The
>>> rear is indexed the front is friction but actually the front works
>>> fine. I put new housing and the bike shifts fine but not always
>>> perfect. It generally downshifts fine but on occasion will not
>>> upshift and then hitting it again it eventually jumps to the required
>>> cog. I fiddled and fiddled but at some point, you just say it is
>>> pretty close.
>>>
>>> So to me this is a crude system but works at least most of the time.
>>> My question is if this is pretty typical that these old 7 speeds
>>> really did no shifter always correct. It is not really a problem as
>>> such to me it is almost as if it is friction shifting in essence. The
>>> shifters only cost $13 for a pair with cables.
>>>
>>> I did what Andrew said cut the part off the brake and manage to get
>>> the brakes ok they will stop the bike. Running pretty top-quality
>>> stuff myself the whole bike to me is worth nothing but it does ride
>>> and get one around. Maybe I should understand how some deal with
>>> bikes as simply very utilitarian and maybe just going to the corner
>>> store and back.
>>> Deacon Mark
>>>

>> Congratulations.
>>
>> Yes, seven speed is quite a robust format -doesn't take much for 'fine
>> adjustements' and good seven chains last a very long time.  As you
>> note, good choice when building up an urban errand bike such as my
>> grandson's:
>>
>> http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/rlsand5.jpg
>
> My browser complains that your site is unavailable now. Is it down? I'd
> like to see the bike!

Ah, it comes in now. Yes, nice bike.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: My 7 speed update question

<21230128-155d-4d00-a6ed-31a2a35eb42dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=60575&group=rec.bicycles.tech#60575

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 13:23:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 20:23 UTC

On Friday, July 29, 2022 at 4:33:45 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
> On 7/29/2022 6:01 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > On Friday, July 29, 2022 at 2:33:49 PM UTC-7, deaco...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> I managed to get my son's friend's, 7 speed old Shimano 200gs shifter replaced. I just bought a generic 7 speed shifter and installed. The rear is indexed the front is friction but actually the front works fine. I put new housing and the bike shifts fine but not always perfect. It generally downshifts fine but on occasion will not upshift and then hitting it again it eventually jumps to the required cog. I fiddled and fiddled but at some point, you just say it is pretty close.
> >>
> >> So to me this is a crude system but works at least most of the time. My question is if this is pretty typical that these old 7 speeds really did no shifter always correct. It is not really a problem as such to me it is almost as if it is friction shifting in essence. The shifters only cost $13 for a pair with cables.
> >>
> >> I did what Andrew said cut the part off the brake and manage to get the brakes ok they will stop the bike. Running pretty top-quality stuff myself the whole bike to me is worth nothing but it does ride and get one around.. Maybe I should understand how some deal with bikes as simply very utilitarian and maybe just going to the corner store and back.
> >> Deacon Mark
> >
> > I haven't been following you very closely but it that bike has a drop bar you can buy the Chinese brifters from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Micronew-SB-R472-Shifter-Shimano-Shifters/dp/B078NQFM1L/ref=asc_df_B078NQFM1L?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80264400674312&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583863992626061&psc=1
> >
> > The shifting science is pretty cut and dried by now so the only chance you take is it being a manufacturing error. So I would make sure of the warranty on it.
> >
> 'chinese' and 'warranty' in the same paragraph!
>
> That's hilarious

Amazon offers warranties but you would probably have to pay for them.