"Mr. Watson, come here, I want you." -- Alexander Graham Bell

tech / sci.physics.relativity / Re: Length contraction and the lopsided atom

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Length contraction and the lopsided atomMichael Moroney
`* Re: Length contraction and the lopsided atommitchr...@gmail.com
 `* Re: Length contraction and the lopsided atomMichael Moroney
  `* Re: Length contraction and the lopsided atommitchr...@gmail.com
   +* Re: Length contraction and the lopsided atombeda pietanza
   |`- Re: Length contraction and the lopsided atommitchr...@gmail.com
   `* Re: Length contraction and the lopsided atomMichael Moroney
    `* Re: Length contraction and the lopsided atommitchr...@gmail.com
     `* Re: Length contraction and the lopsided atomMichael Moroney
      `- Re: Length contraction and the lopsided atommitchr...@gmail.com

1
Re: Length contraction and the lopsided atom

<s8m6vs$s73$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=60497&group=sci.physics.relativity#60497

From: moro...@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael Moroney)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Subject: Re: Length contraction and the lopsided atom
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 15:19:27 -0400
 by: Michael Moroney - Wed, 26 May 2021 19:19 UTC

On 5/26/2021 2:16 PM, mitchr...@gmail.com wrote:
> if contraction is real for the atom
> it would distort chemistry by
> flattening the orbitals or shells..

Roy Masters, such an atom is (obviously!) stationary relative to itself,
so the orbitals are not distorted or flattened as far as it's concerned,
and as far as any other nearby atom moving at nearly the same speed is
concerned.

Re: Length contraction and the lopsided atom

<12fb8584-9f47-4468-b3b7-672a4e032418n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=60501&group=sci.physics.relativity#60501

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 13:26:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: mitchrae...@gmail.com (mitchr...@gmail.com)
 by: mitchr...@gmail.com - Wed, 26 May 2021 20:26 UTC

On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 12:19:29 PM UTC-7, Michael Moroney wrote:
> On 5/26/2021 2:16 PM, mitchr...@gmail.com wrote:
> > if contraction is real for the atom
> > it would distort chemistry by
> > flattening the orbitals or shells..
> Roy Masters, such an atom is (obviously!) stationary relative to itself,

No. It shares motion with its frame you moron...

> so the orbitals are not distorted or flattened as far as it's concerned,

That shared relative speed of both frames to each other
will contract the atom. Why does it not?

> and as far as any other nearby atom moving at nearly the same speed is
> concerned.

If they are near the same speed in space they
would have near the same speed's contraction.
No. Contraction does not belong.
It never did...

Mitchell Raemsch

Re: Length contraction and the lopsided atom

<s8mqbh$12js$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=60510&group=sci.physics.relativity#60510

From: moro...@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael Moroney)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 20:49:58 -0400
 by: Michael Moroney - Thu, 27 May 2021 00:49 UTC

On 5/26/2021 4:26 PM, mitchr...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 12:19:29 PM UTC-7, Michael Moroney
> wrote:
>> On 5/26/2021 2:16 PM, mitchr...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> if contraction is real for the atom it would distort chemistry
>>> by flattening the orbitals or shells..
>> Roy Masters, such an atom is (obviously!) stationary relative to
>> itself,
>
> No. It shares motion with its frame you moron...

Meaning it's stationary in its own frame, Roy.

>> so the orbitals are not distorted or flattened as far as it's
>> concerned,
>
> That shared relative speed of both frames to each other will contract
> the atom. Why does it not?

They are stationary relative to each other, Roy.

>> and as far as any other nearby atom moving at nearly the same speed
>> is concerned.
>
> If they are near the same speed in space they would have near the
> same speed's contraction.

If they have the same speed they are stationary relative to each other, Roy.

You need to Google the word "relativity" and learn how it's used in SR.
Or even how it was used by Galileo.
Of course you'll refuse, because that's what Roy Masters does.

> No. Contraction does not belong. It never did...

SR contraction is how one frame sees/measures another moving at high
speed RELATIVE TO IT.

Re: Length contraction and the lopsided atom

<999012f3-c85d-4112-aba9-3de2c21520fdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=60512&group=sci.physics.relativity#60512

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 18:31:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: mitchrae...@gmail.com (mitchr...@gmail.com)
 by: mitchr...@gmail.com - Thu, 27 May 2021 01:31 UTC

On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 5:49:59 PM UTC-7, Michael Moroney wrote:
> On 5/26/2021 4:26 PM, mitchr...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 12:19:29 PM UTC-7, Michael Moroney
> > wrote:
> >> Roy Masters, such an atom is (obviously!) stationary relative to
> >> itself,
> >
> > No. It shares motion with its frame you moron...
> Meaning it's stationary in its own frame, Roy.

No. It is still in the moving frame you moron...
> >> so the orbitals are not distorted or flattened as far as it's
> >> concerned,

Then you agree with me that contraction does not happen
for the atom....

> > That shared relative speed of both frames to each other will contract
> > the atom. Why does it not?
> They are stationary relative to each other, Roy.

As a whole they move as a frame.
And that does not shrink.
That is my point.

> >> and as far as any other nearby atom moving at nearly the same speed
> >> is concerned.
> >
> > If they are near the same speed in space they would have near the
> > same speed's contraction.
> If they have the same speed they are stationary relative to each other, Roy.

You said nearly the same... so what is your point?

> You need to Google the word "relativity" and learn how it's used in SR.
> Or even how it was used by Galileo.
> Of course you'll refuse, because that's what Roy Masters does.
> > No. Contraction does not belong. It never did...
> SR contraction is how one frame sees/measures another moving at high
> speed RELATIVE TO IT.

Why does it wait for a measurement if it is by speed?
No you moron. Contraction does not exist.

Mitchell Raemsch

Re: Length contraction and the lopsided atom

<62679f09-8878-4eaf-8165-7d4d4407ecd2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=60528&group=sci.physics.relativity#60528

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 04:10:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: beda-pie...@libero.it (beda pietanza)
 by: beda pietanza - Thu, 27 May 2021 11:10 UTC

Il giorno giovedì 27 maggio 2021 alle 03:31:52 UTC+2 mitchr...@gmail.com ha scritto:
> On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 5:49:59 PM UTC-7, Michael Moroney wrote:
> > On 5/26/2021 4:26 PM, mitchr...@gmail.com wrote:
> > >
> > > No. It shares motion with its frame you moron...
> > Meaning it's stationary in its own frame, Roy.
> No. It is still in the moving frame you moron...
> Then you agree with me that contraction does not happen
> for the atom....
> > >
> > > That shared relative speed of both frames to each other will contract
> > > the atom. Why does it not?
> > They are stationary relative to each other, Roy.
> As a whole they move as a frame.
> And that does not shrink.
> That is my point.

> > > If they are near the same speed in space they would have near the
> > > same speed's contraction.
> > If they have the same speed they are stationary relative to each other, Roy.
> You said nearly the same... so what is your point?
> >
> > You need to Google the word "relativity" and learn how it's used in SR.
> > Or even how it was used by Galileo.
> > Of course you'll refuse, because that's what Roy Masters does.
> > > No. Contraction does not belong. It never did...
> > SR contraction is how one frame sees/measures another moving at high
> > speed RELATIVE TO IT.
> Why does it wait for a measurement if it is by speed?
> No you moron. Contraction does not exist.
beda
you are wrong:
try to calculate the travel time for a pulse of light
to go forth and back along a moving ruler,
if the ruler doesn't contract the result doesn't fit.
do the calculus your self and find out that the contraction
is the only explanation for the local invariance of the two ways
speed of light along the moving ruler

if you don't know how to do it, the formula is 2sqrt(1-v^2)/(1-v^2); (1)
for a contracted ruler (v=the speed of the ruler)

for a not contracted ruler the formula is 2/(1-v^2); (2)
only (1) fits the experimental results

cheers
beda

> Mitchell Raemsch

Re: Length contraction and the lopsided atom

<c4848895-6371-4134-af9c-c6224402c712n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=60546&group=sci.physics.relativity#60546

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 10:32:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: mitchrae...@gmail.com (mitchr...@gmail.com)
 by: mitchr...@gmail.com - Thu, 27 May 2021 17:32 UTC

On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 4:10:07 AM UTC-7, beda-p...@libero.it wrote:
> Il giorno giovedì 27 maggio 2021 alle 03:31:52 UTC+2 mitchr...@gmail..com ha scritto:

> > > Meaning it's stationary in its own frame, Roy.
> > No. It is still in the moving frame you moron...
> > Then you agree with me that contraction does not happen
> > for the atom....

> > > They are stationary relative to each other, Roy.
> > As a whole they move as a frame.
> > And that does not shrink.
> > That is my point.

> > > If they have the same speed they are stationary relative to each other, Roy.
> > You said nearly the same... so what is your point?
> > >
> > > You need to Google the word "relativity" and learn how it's used in SR.
> > > Or even how it was used by Galileo.
> > > Of course you'll refuse, because that's what Roy Masters does.
> > > SR contraction is how one frame sees/measures another moving at high
> > > speed RELATIVE TO IT.
> > Why does it wait for a measurement if it is by speed?
> > No you moron. Contraction does not exist.
> beda
> you are wrong:

Either atoms contract or they don't.
And they don't.

Mitchell Raemsch

Re: Length contraction and the lopsided atom

<s8ol9m$6kr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=60547&group=sci.physics.relativity#60547

From: moro...@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael Moroney)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 13:35:54 -0400
 by: Michael Moroney - Thu, 27 May 2021 17:35 UTC

On 5/26/2021 9:31 PM, mitchr...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 5:49:59 PM UTC-7, Michael Moroney wrote:
>> On 5/26/2021 4:26 PM, mitchr...@gmail.com wrote:
>>>
>>> No. It shares motion with its frame you moron...
>> Meaning it's stationary in its own frame, Roy.
>
> No. It is still in the moving frame you moron...

Yet it is stationary in that frame. So anything else stationary in that
frame will see it normal, no flattening and no distortion. And
obviously, anything is stationary relative to itself so sees itself as
normal.

This is explained in all the websites you refuse to read, Roy.

> Then you agree with me that contraction does not happen
> for the atom....

Not relative to itself. It appears contracted to anything moving at
high speed relative to it.

>>> That shared relative speed of both frames to each other will contract
>>> the atom. Why does it not?
>> They are stationary relative to each other, Roy.
>
> As a whole they move as a frame.
> And that does not shrink.
> That is my point.

And it is stationary in its own frame, so it's normal.

>>> If they are near the same speed in space they would have near the
>>> same speed's contraction.
>> If they have the same speed they are stationary relative to each other, Roy.
>
> You said nearly the same... so what is your point?

"Nearly" the same meaning at a low relative speed, so low length
contraction so all is normal.

>> You need to Google the word "relativity" and learn how it's used in SR.
>> Or even how it was used by Galileo.
>> Of course you'll refuse, because that's what Roy Masters does.

>>> No. Contraction does not belong. It never did...

It is predicted by and required by SR. We have seen indirect effects of
length contraction. Even magnetic fields from a current-carrying wire
can be explained by length contraction.

>> SR contraction is how one frame sees/measures another moving at high
>> speed RELATIVE TO IT.
>
> Why does it wait for a measurement if it is by speed?

That question makes no sense.

> No you moron. Contraction does not exist.

But it does, despite your meaningless objections.

Re: Length contraction and the lopsided atom

<dea96d0a-3793-4c9f-92a9-d047f2761589n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=60557&group=sci.physics.relativity#60557

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 11:44:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: mitchrae...@gmail.com (mitchr...@gmail.com)
 by: mitchr...@gmail.com - Thu, 27 May 2021 18:44 UTC

On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 10:35:55 AM UTC-7, Michael Moroney wrote:
> On 5/26/2021 9:31 PM, mitchr...@gmail.com wrote:

> >> Meaning it's stationary in its own frame, Roy.
> >
> > No. It is still in the moving frame you moron...
> Yet it is stationary in that frame. So anything else stationary in that
> frame will see it normal, no flattening and no distortion. And
> obviously, anything is stationary relative to itself so sees itself as
> normal.
>
> This is explained in all the websites you refuse to read, Roy.
> >
> > Then you agree with me that contraction does not happen
> > for the atom....
> Not relative to itself. It appears contracted to anything moving at
> high speed relative to it.

> >> They are stationary relative to each other, Roy.
> >
> > As a whole they move as a frame.
> > And that does not shrink.
> > That is my point.
> And it is stationary in its own frame, so it's normal.

> >> If they have the same speed they are stationary relative to each other, Roy.
> >
> > You said nearly the same... so what is your point?
> "Nearly" the same meaning at a low relative speed, so low length
> contraction so all is normal.
> >>
> >> You need to Google the word "relativity" and learn how it's used in SR.
> >> Or even how it was used by Galileo.
> >> Of course you'll refuse, because that's what Roy Masters does.

> It is predicted by and required by SR. We have seen indirect effects of
> length contraction. Even magnetic fields from a current-carrying wire
> can be explained by length contraction.
> >> SR contraction is how one frame sees/measures another moving at high
> >> speed RELATIVE TO IT.
> >
> > Why does it wait for a measurement if it is by speed?
> That question makes no sense.
> > No you moron. Contraction does not exist.
> >
> But it does, despite your meaningless objections.

Where is your contacted atom if both sides contract.
You said orbitals would not be affected but they
would have to contract... are you backing out
by sating it goes both ways where it does not?
You are a moron. It doesn't happen.
What experiment has ever measured it?

Mitchell Raemsch

Re: Length contraction and the lopsided atom

<s8q2ch$1hbl$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=60614&group=sci.physics.relativity#60614

From: moro...@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael Moroney)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 02:25:24 -0400
 by: Michael Moroney - Fri, 28 May 2021 06:25 UTC

On 5/27/2021 2:44 PM, mitchr...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 10:35:55 AM UTC-7, Michael Moroney wrote:

>>> No. It is still in the moving frame you moron...
>> Yet it is stationary in that frame. So anything else stationary in that
>> frame will see it normal, no flattening and no distortion. And
>> obviously, anything is stationary relative to itself so sees itself as
>> normal.
>>
>> This is explained in all the websites you refuse to read, Roy.
>>>
>>> Then you agree with me that contraction does not happen
>>> for the atom....
>> Not relative to itself. It appears contracted to anything moving at
>> high speed relative to it.

>>> As a whole they move as a frame.
>>> And that does not shrink.
>>> That is my point.
>> And it is stationary in its own frame, so it's normal.

>>> You said nearly the same... so what is your point?
>> "Nearly" the same meaning at a low relative speed, so low length
>> contraction so all is normal.

>> It is predicted by and required by SR. We have seen indirect effects of
>> length contraction. Even magnetic fields from a current-carrying wire
>> can be explained by length contraction.
>>>
>>> Why does it wait for a measurement if it is by speed?
>> That question makes no sense.
>>> No you moron. Contraction does not exist.
>>>
>> But it does, despite your meaningless objections.
>

> Where is your contacted atom if both sides contract.

Whoever claimed that?

> You said orbitals would not be affected but they
> would have to contract... are you backing out
> by sating it goes both ways where it does not?

Everything is at rest in the frame it is at rest in. A tautology, but
that tautology really seems to confuse you. Because everything is at
rest in its own frame, it is obviously not contracted in its own frame.

> You are a moron.

You are the one confused by a tautology. You are an imbecile, moron is
too good of a term for you.

> It doesn't happen.
> What experiment has ever measured it?

Use Google to find out.

Re: Length contraction and the lopsided atom

<f27ee449-8f2e-4f88-b98f-e99ba00b1ae5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=60704&group=sci.physics.relativity#60704

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 16:45:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: mitchrae...@gmail.com (mitchr...@gmail.com)
 by: mitchr...@gmail.com - Fri, 28 May 2021 23:45 UTC

On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 11:25:24 PM UTC-7, Michael Moroney wrote:
> On 5/27/2021 2:44 PM, mitchr...@gmail.com wrote:

Then the other frames orbitals would be ruined by its contraction.

It is still moving...

> >> Yet it is stationary in that frame. So anything else stationary in that
> >> frame will see it normal, no flattening and no distortion. And
> >> obviously, anything is stationary relative to itself so sees itself as
> >> normal.
> >>
> >> This is explained in all the websites you refuse to read, Roy.

> >> Not relative to itself. It appears contracted to anything moving at
> >> high speed relative to it.

Either the atom contracts or it doesn't so which is it?

But they are also moving together...

> >> And it is stationary in its own frame, so it's normal.

No there is no absolute rest as frames always move as a whole...

> >> "Nearly" the same meaning at a low relative speed

You can be nearly the same at high speed...

> >> It is predicted by and required by SR. We have seen indirect effects of
> >> length contraction. Even magnetic fields from a current-carrying wire
> >> can be explained by length contraction.

> >> That question makes no sense.

Does contraction have to wait on measurement?

> >> But it does, despite your meaningless objections.

Where is the contraction?

> > Where is your contacted atom if both sides contract.
> Whoever claimed that?
> > You said orbitals would not be affected but they
> > would have to contract... are you backing out
> > by sating it goes both ways where it does not?
> Everything is at rest in the frame it is at rest in. A tautology, but
> that tautology really seems to confuse you. Because everything is at
> rest in its own frame, it is obviously not contracted in its own frame.

If any atom contracts it ruins the atom's orbital order...

> > You are a moron.
>
> You are the one confused by a tautology. You are an imbecile, moron is
> too good of a term for you.
> > It doesn't happen.
> > What experiment has ever measured it?
> Use Google to find out.

Internet confirmation bias is for you... not me...

Mitchell Raemsch