"I've seen it. It's rubbish." -- Marvin the Paranoid Android

tech / rec.crafts.metalworking / Suitable for a countershaft ?

SubjectAuthor
* Suitable for a countershaft ?Snag
+* Re: Suitable for a countershaft ?Hul Tytus
|`* Re: Suitable for a countershaft ?Snag
| `- Re: Suitable for a countershaft ?Hul Tytus
`* Re: Suitable for a countershaft ?Jim Wilkins
 `* Re: Suitable for a countershaft ?Snag
  +* Re: Suitable for a countershaft ?fos
  |`- Re: Suitable for a countershaft ?Snag
  `* Re: Suitable for a countershaft ?Bob La Londe
   `* Re: Suitable for a countershaft ?Snag
    +* Re: Suitable for a countershaft ?Jim Wilkins
    |`- Re: Suitable for a countershaft ?Snag
    `* Re: Suitable for a countershaft ?Clare Snyder
     `- Re: Suitable for a countershaft ?Snag

1
Suitable for a countershaft ?

<t8136f$bqn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6101&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6101

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Suitable for a countershaft ?
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 22:45:56 -0500
 by: Snag - Sat, 11 Jun 2022 03:45 UTC

I ordered a piece of O1 drill rod to make a spindle for a mower deck
, and realized today it's the right diameter to make a new countershaft
for my Logan lathe ! I bought new oilite bushings a while back but
didn't want to install them on the worn shaft I have in service . I
guess it's done it's job well , it's over 70 years old - the lathe was
built in November 1951 and as far as I know it's original .
Is there any reason this material won't be good as a replacement
countershaft ?
--
Snag
“Free speech is my right to say what you don’t

Re: Suitable for a countershaft ?

<t81idq$kui$2@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6102&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6102

From: ht...@panix.com (Hul Tytus)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Suitable for a countershaft ?
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 08:06:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Hul Tytus - Sat, 11 Jun 2022 08:06 UTC

err.. what's a counter shaft?

Hul

Snag <Snag_one@msn.com> wrote:
> I ordered a piece of O1 drill rod to make a spindle for a mower deck
> , and realized today it's the right diameter to make a new countershaft
> for my Logan lathe ! I bought new oilite bushings a while back but
> didn't want to install them on the worn shaft I have in service . I
> guess it's done it's job well , it's over 70 years old - the lathe was
> built in November 1951 and as far as I know it's original .
> Is there any reason this material won't be good as a replacement
> countershaft ?
> --
> Snag
> ???Free speech is my right to say what you don???t
> want to hear.??? -George Orwell

Re: Suitable for a countershaft ?

<t81trh$o8t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6103&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6103

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 07:21:19 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sat, 11 Jun 2022 11:21 UTC

"Snag" wrote in message news:t8136f$bqn$1@dont-email.me...

I ordered a piece of O1 drill rod to make a spindle for a mower deck
, and realized today it's the right diameter to make a new countershaft
for my Logan lathe ! I bought new oilite bushings a while back but
didn't want to install them on the worn shaft I have in service . I
guess it's done it's job well , it's over 70 years old - the lathe was
built in November 1951 and as far as I know it's original .
Is there any reason this material won't be good as a replacement
countershaft ?
--
Snag
“Free speech is my right to say what you don’t
want to hear.” -George Orwell
-----------------------------

I usually buy keyed shafting because it's cheaper and threads cleanly, but
O1 should be fine and has a better finish. My first night-school lathe
project was an O1 main shaft for a woodworking bandsaw that the previous
owner didn't know to oil.

Is this for the back gears or the motor drive? I rebuilt a partly
cannibalized SB Heavy 10 headstock's backgear assembly and there's some
tricky hand fitting involved.
jsw

Re: Suitable for a countershaft ?

<t81udl$sf7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6104&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6104

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 06:30:35 -0500
 by: Snag - Sat, 11 Jun 2022 11:30 UTC

On 6/11/2022 3:06 AM, Hul Tytus wrote:
> err.. what's a counter shaft?
>
> Hul
>
> Snag <Snag_one@msn.com> wrote:
>> I ordered a piece of O1 drill rod to make a spindle for a mower deck
>> , and realized today it's the right diameter to make a new countershaft
>> for my Logan lathe ! I bought new oilite bushings a while back but
>> didn't want to install them on the worn shaft I have in service . I
>> guess it's done it's job well , it's over 70 years old - the lathe was
>> built in November 1951 and as far as I know it's original .
>> Is there any reason this material won't be good as a replacement
>> countershaft ?
>> --
>> Snag
>> ???Free speech is my right to say what you don???t
>> want to hear.??? -George Orwell

It's a shaft that has pulleys on it for mechanical speed reduction .
In this case it has a large pulley on one end that is driven by a
smaller pulley on the motor and a 3 step flat belt pulley to drive the
lathe spindle . It is also mounted on a pivoting yoke with a lever
system that lets you tighten or loosen the flat belt .
--
Snag
“Free speech is my right to say what you don’t
want to hear.” -George Orwell

Re: Suitable for a countershaft ?

<t81uui$6vj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6105&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6105

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 06:39:36 -0500
 by: Snag - Sat, 11 Jun 2022 11:39 UTC

-----------------

I usually buy keyed shafting because it's cheaper and threads cleanly,
but O1 should be fine and has a better finish. My first night-school
lathe project was an O1 main shaft for a woodworking bandsaw that the
previous owner didn't know to oil.

Is this for the back gears or the motor drive? I rebuilt a partly
cannibalized SB Heavy 10 headstock's backgear assembly and there's some
tricky hand fitting involved.
jsw

--------------------

It's for the motor drive . There are no keys on this one . I'm
thinking about milling some flats for the set screws to bear on since
this stock is probably harder than the original shaft .
--
Snag
“Free speech is my right to say what you don’t
want to hear.” -George Orwell

Re: Suitable for a countershaft ?

<slrnta9d44.6ch.fos@ma.sdf.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6106&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6106

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: fos...@sdf.org
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 15:28:03 GMT
 by: fos...@sdf.org - Sat, 11 Jun 2022 15:28 UTC

On 2022-06-11, Snag <Snag_one@msn.com> wrote:
> On 6/11/2022 6:21 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
>> "Snag"  wrote in message news:t8136f$bqn$1@dont-email.me...
>>   I ordered a piece of O1 drill rod to make a spindle for a mower deck
>> , and realized today it's the right diameter to make a new countershaft
>> for my Logan lathe ! I bought new oilite bushings a while back but
>> didn't want to install them on the worn shaft I have in service . I
>> guess it's done it's job well , it's over 70 years old - the lathe was
>> built in November 1951 and as far as I know it's original .
>>   Is there any reason this material won't be good as a replacement
>> countershaft ?
> -----------------

> I usually buy keyed shafting because it's cheaper and threads cleanly,
> but O1 should be fine and has a better finish. My first night-school
> lathe project was an O1 main shaft for a woodworking bandsaw that the
> previous owner didn't know to oil.

> Is this for the back gears or the motor drive? I rebuilt a partly
> cannibalized SB Heavy 10 headstock's backgear assembly and there's some
> tricky hand fitting involved.
> jsw
>
> --------------------

> It's for the motor drive . There are no keys on this one . I'm
> thinking about milling some flats for the set screws to bear on since
> this stock is probably harder than the original shaft .

i'd reach for 4140 pre-hard for a shaft which wasn't going to be heat
treated. 8620 or 6150 for one that would be. annealed O1 isn't much better
than mild steel for such an application but if all you have on hand is mild
steel or annealed O1 i'd choose the O1.

--
fos@sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org

Re: Suitable for a countershaft ?

<t82p58$u8s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6107&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6107

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 14:06:54 -0500
 by: Snag - Sat, 11 Jun 2022 19:06 UTC

On 6/11/2022 10:28 AM, fos@sdf.org wrote:
> On 2022-06-11, Snag <Snag_one@msn.com> wrote:
>> On 6/11/2022 6:21 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
>>> "Snag"  wrote in message news:t8136f$bqn$1@dont-email.me...
>
>>>   I ordered a piece of O1 drill rod to make a spindle for a mower deck
>>> , and realized today it's the right diameter to make a new countershaft
>>> for my Logan lathe ! I bought new oilite bushings a while back but
>>> didn't want to install them on the worn shaft I have in service . I
>>> guess it's done it's job well , it's over 70 years old - the lathe was
>>> built in November 1951 and as far as I know it's original .
>>>   Is there any reason this material won't be good as a replacement
>>> countershaft ?
>> -----------------
>
>> I usually buy keyed shafting because it's cheaper and threads cleanly,
>> but O1 should be fine and has a better finish. My first night-school
>> lathe project was an O1 main shaft for a woodworking bandsaw that the
>> previous owner didn't know to oil.
>
>> Is this for the back gears or the motor drive? I rebuilt a partly
>> cannibalized SB Heavy 10 headstock's backgear assembly and there's some
>> tricky hand fitting involved.
>> jsw
>>
>> --------------------
>
>> It's for the motor drive . There are no keys on this one . I'm
>> thinking about milling some flats for the set screws to bear on since
>> this stock is probably harder than the original shaft .
>
> i'd reach for 4140 pre-hard for a shaft which wasn't going to be heat
> treated. 8620 or 6150 for one that would be. annealed O1 isn't much better
> than mild steel for such an application but if all you have on hand is mild
> steel or annealed O1 i'd choose the O1.

Well , I had this on hand from another project , so I used it . And it
made a dandy shaft , the lathe runs smoother now .
--
Snag
“Free speech is my right to say what you don’t
want to hear.” -George Orwell

Re: Suitable for a countershaft ?

<t83be9$14$2@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6108&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6108

From: ht...@panix.com (Hul Tytus)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 00:19:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Hul Tytus - Sun, 12 Jun 2022 00:19 UTC

Thanks, Snag.

Snag <Snag_one@msn.com> wrote:
> On 6/11/2022 3:06 AM, Hul Tytus wrote:
> > err.. what's a counter shaft?
> >
> > Hul
> >
> > Snag <Snag_one@msn.com> wrote:
> >> I ordered a piece of O1 drill rod to make a spindle for a mower deck
> >> , and realized today it's the right diameter to make a new countershaft
> >> for my Logan lathe ! I bought new oilite bushings a while back but
> >> didn't want to install them on the worn shaft I have in service . I
> >> guess it's done it's job well , it's over 70 years old - the lathe was
> >> built in November 1951 and as far as I know it's original .
> >> Is there any reason this material won't be good as a replacement
> >> countershaft ?
> >> --
> >> Snag
> >> ???Free speech is my right to say what you don???t
> >> want to hear.??? -George Orwell

> It's a shaft that has pulleys on it for mechanical speed reduction .
> In this case it has a large pulley on one end that is driven by a
> smaller pulley on the motor and a 3 step flat belt pulley to drive the
> lathe spindle . It is also mounted on a pivoting yoke with a lever
> system that lets you tighten or loosen the flat belt .
> --
> Snag
> ???Free speech is my right to say what you don???t
> want to hear.??? -George Orwell

Re: Suitable for a countershaft ?

<t84td3$1jso$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6109&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6109

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 07:32:03 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sun, 12 Jun 2022 14:32 UTC

On 6/11/2022 4:39 AM, Snag wrote:
> On 6/11/2022 6:21 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
>> "Snag"  wrote in message news:t8136f$bqn$1@dont-email.me...
>>
>>    I ordered a piece of O1 drill rod to make a spindle for a mower deck
>> , and realized today it's the right diameter to make a new countershaft
>> for my Logan lathe ! I bought new oilite bushings a while back but
>> didn't want to install them on the worn shaft I have in service . I
>> guess it's done it's job well , it's over 70 years old - the lathe was
>> built in November 1951 and as far as I know it's original .
>>    Is there any reason this material won't be good as a replacement
>> countershaft ?
>  -----------------
>
> I usually buy keyed shafting because it's cheaper and threads cleanly,
> but O1 should be fine and has a better finish. My first night-school
> lathe project was an O1 main shaft for a woodworking bandsaw that the
> previous owner didn't know to oil.
>
> Is this for the back gears or the motor drive? I rebuilt a partly
> cannibalized SB Heavy 10 headstock's backgear assembly and there's some
> tricky hand fitting involved.
> jsw
>
> --------------------
>

>   It's for the motor drive . There are no keys on this one . I'm
> thinking about milling some flats for the set screws to bear on since
> this stock is probably harder than the original shaft .

Flats or dimples are a good idea for set screws anyway. That way if
they raise a burr the shaft can still be disassembled. Hopefully without
the use of a hammer.

https://www.avg.com

Re: Suitable for a countershaft ?

<t859no$vcf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6110&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6110

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 13:02:02 -0500
 by: Snag - Sun, 12 Jun 2022 18:02 UTC

On 6/12/2022 9:32 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 6/11/2022 4:39 AM, Snag wrote:
>> On 6/11/2022 6:21 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
>>> "Snag"  wrote in message news:t8136f$bqn$1@dont-email.me...
>>>
>>>    I ordered a piece of O1 drill rod to make a spindle for a mower deck
>>> , and realized today it's the right diameter to make a new countershaft
>>> for my Logan lathe ! I bought new oilite bushings a while back but
>>> didn't want to install them on the worn shaft I have in service . I
>>> guess it's done it's job well , it's over 70 years old - the lathe was
>>> built in November 1951 and as far as I know it's original .
>>>    Is there any reason this material won't be good as a replacement
>>> countershaft ?
>>   -----------------
>>
>> I usually buy keyed shafting because it's cheaper and threads cleanly,
>> but O1 should be fine and has a better finish. My first night-school
>> lathe project was an O1 main shaft for a woodworking bandsaw that the
>> previous owner didn't know to oil.
>>
>> Is this for the back gears or the motor drive? I rebuilt a partly
>> cannibalized SB Heavy 10 headstock's backgear assembly and there's
>> some tricky hand fitting involved.
>> jsw
>>
>> --------------------
>>

>>    It's for the motor drive . There are no keys on this one . I'm
>> thinking about milling some flats for the set screws to bear on since
>> this stock is probably harder than the original shaft .
>
> Flats or dimples are a good idea for set screws anyway.  That way if
> they raise a burr the shaft can still be disassembled. Hopefully without
> the use of a hammer.

Or a gear puller ...
--
Snag
“Free speech is my right to say what you don’t
want to hear.” -George Orwell

Re: Suitable for a countershaft ?

<t85e65$23m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6111&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6111

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 15:18:26 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sun, 12 Jun 2022 19:18 UTC

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/forum/threads/logan-lathe-countershaft-bushings-getting-hot.163555/

https://redlinerennsport.homestead.com/LoganDriveboxLateColored.jpg

Re: Suitable for a countershaft ?

<t85l0j$i0e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6112&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6112

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 16:14:30 -0500
 by: Snag - Sun, 12 Jun 2022 21:14 UTC

On 6/12/2022 2:18 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> https://www.practicalmachinist.com/forum/threads/logan-lathe-countershaft-bushings-getting-hot.163555/
>

> https://redlinerennsport.homestead.com/LoganDriveboxLateColored.jpg

I have an earlier (shipped to Monkey Wards in November 1951) model
than that 2nd link , and the side that supports the driven end of the
shaft does run a bit warmer . Never been hot enough to burn me though ...
--
Snag
“Free speech is my right to say what you don’t
want to hear.” -George Orwell

Re: Suitable for a countershaft ?

<ojvfah5c4shf5lrumvo8gh2i6tlbih9u0j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6113&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6113

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 23:20:38 -0400
 by: Clare Snyder - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 03:20 UTC

On Sun, 12 Jun 2022 13:02:02 -0500, Snag <Snag_one@msn.com> wrote:

>On 6/12/2022 9:32 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:

>>>   -----------------
>>>
>>> I usually buy keyed shafting because it's cheaper and threads cleanly,
>>> but O1 should be fine and has a better finish. My first night-school
>>> lathe project was an O1 main shaft for a woodworking bandsaw that the
>>> previous owner didn't know to oil.
>>>
>>> Is this for the back gears or the motor drive? I rebuilt a partly
>>> cannibalized SB Heavy 10 headstock's backgear assembly and there's
>>> some tricky hand fitting involved.
>>> jsw
>>>
>>> --------------------
>>>

>>>    It's for the motor drive . There are no keys on this one . I'm
>>> thinking about milling some flats for the set screws to bear on since
>>> this stock is probably harder than the original shaft .
>>
>> Flats or dimples are a good idea for set screws anyway.  That way if
>> they raise a burr the shaft can still be disassembled. Hopefully without
>> the use of a hammer.
>>

> Or a gear puller ...
Or a cutting torch - - -

Re: Suitable for a countershaft ?

<t88vn5$tr5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6114&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6114

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 22:36:06 -0500
 by: Snag - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 03:36 UTC

On 6/13/2022 10:20 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jun 2022 13:02:02 -0500, Snag <Snag_one@msn.com> wrote:

>>> Flats or dimples are a good idea for set screws anyway.  That way if
>>> they raise a burr the shaft can still be disassembled. Hopefully without
>>> the use of a hammer.
>>>

>> Or a gear puller ...
> Or a cutting torch - - -

It can't be tight if it's a liquid !