When I left you, I was but the pupil. Now, I am the master. -- Darth Vader

tech / sci.math / Refuting the Sipser Halting Problem Proof (V1)

SubjectAuthor
* Refuting the Sipser Halting Problem Proof (V1)olcott
+- Would H_Hat ever stop if simulating halt decider H never stoppedolcott
+- Re: Refuting the Linz Halting Problem Proof (V15)(top reviewer list)olcott
+- Re: Halting problem undecidability and infinitely nested simulation(V17)olcott
`* Re: Halting problem undecidability and infinitely nestedolcott
 `* Re: Halting problem undecidability and infinitely nested simulation(V17)(infinitolcott
  `* Re: Halting problem undecidability and infinitely nested simulation(V17)(proof colcott
   `- Re: Halting problem undecidability and infinitely nestedolcott

1
Refuting the Sipser Halting Problem Proof (V1)

<eqSdnT7MdazmzCv9nZ2dnUU7-KPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=61174&group=sci.math#61174

Followup: comp.theory
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.math
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Subject: Refuting the Sipser Halting Problem Proof (V1)
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 10:25:41 -0500
 by: olcott - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 15:25 UTC

The Sipser proof is refuted on the basis of showing how Turing machine H
correctly decides reject on ⟨D,⟨D⟩⟩ input on the basis that this input
specifies infinitely nested simulation. Turing machine D correctly
decides accept on ⟨D⟩ input.

The x86utm operating system was created so that the halting problem
could be examined concretely in the high level abstraction of the C
programming language. A simulating partial halt decider written in C
examines the execution trace of its x86 machine language input.

#define u32 uint32_t

int Simulate(u32 P, u32 I)
{ ((void(*)(u32))P)(I);
return 1;
}

int D(u32 P) // P is a machine address
{ if ( H(P, P) )
return 0 // reject when H accepts
return 1; // accept when H rejects
}

int main()
{ u32 HDD_Acceptance = H((u32)D, (u32)D);
u32 DD_Acceptance = D((u32)D);
Output("H(D,D) Would_Halt = ", HDD_Acceptance);
Output("D(D) Would_Halt = ", DD_Acceptance);
}

When we understand that any computation that must have its simulation
aborted to prevent its otherwise infinite execution is correctly
rejected as non-halting then we know that the first line of main() does
correctly reject its input as halting.

A simulating halt decider that never stops simulating its input is
simply a simulator on this input. If H() never stopped simulating D()
then it can be seen that the halting behavior of D() would be the same
as if D() invoked Simulate() instead of H(), thus D() would never
terminate. The above analysis is confirmed by actual execution of the
above function in the x86utm operating system:

(1) The first line of main() detects an infinitely repeating non-halting
pattern on the first line of D. This line must be aborted before ever
returning any value to D. The first line of main() returns 0 for reject.

(2) The second line of main() returns 1 accept on the basis that H
detects an infinitely repeating non-halting pattern and returns 0 for
reject.

Refuting the Sipser Halting Problem Proof
May 2021 PL Olcott
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/351947980_Refuting_the_Sipser_Halting_Problem_Proof

Sipser Section 4.2 The Halting Problem
http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~black/CS311/Lecture%20Notes/Sipser%20Sect%204.2.pdf

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

Would H_Hat ever stop if simulating halt decider H never stopped simulating it?

<MuSdnbH13OpR2iX9nZ2dnUU7-TXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=61380&group=sci.math#61380

Subject: Would H_Hat ever stop if simulating halt decider H never stopped
simulating it?
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.math
<BwJtI.492538$ST2.269672@fx47.iad> <87im2w8n14.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<9didnVwUmpDkBSr9nZ2dnUU7-TXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <efVtI.9839$EW.5167@fx04.iad>
<lNmdne1l3rdcuiX9nZ2dnUU7-e-dnZ2d@giganews.com> <i2WtI.9599$341.459@fx42.iad>
<eqadnbjBJ_MTqSX9nZ2dnUU7-V_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<jpXtI.202102$lyv9.152828@fx35.iad>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 22:08:52 -0500
 by: olcott - Thu, 3 Jun 2021 03:08 UTC

On 6/2/2021 9:47 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> WRONG. First, ALL machine CAN be divided into Halting or Not-Halting by
>>> the classical definition, it is just that WE don't know which side some
>>> machine belong in, but we do know that they definitely fall into one or
>>> the other.
>>>
>>> With your definition, some machine can be 'rightly' decided to fall into
>>> either of the categories, depending on which decide you use. THAT isn't
>>> a very useful definition if your definition of Halting depends on what
>>> machine is doing the testing.

>>> Any algorithm that implements this truism is, of course, a halting
>>> decider.
>>
>> The above truism is equivalent to this truism:
>> Whenever the simulation of the TM description X would not halt on input
>> Y then TM X would not halt on input Y.
>
> Except that you don't process it to that definition.

See if you can manage to directly answer this question without getting
distracted:

Would H_Hat ever stop if simulating halt decider H never stopped
simulating it?

#define u32 uint32_t

// Simplified Peter Linz Ĥ
void H_Hat(u32 P)
{ u32 Input_Halts = H(P, P);
if (Input_Halts)
HERE: goto HERE;
}

int main()
{ H((u32)H_Hat, (u32)H_Hat);
}

Everyone else gave up because I would not tolerate their dishonest
dodges of trying to change the subject away from the exact yes or no
question.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

Re: Refuting the Linz Halting Problem Proof (V15)(top reviewer list)

<wdKdnZ8EcZHyzCf9nZ2dnUU7-SvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=61614&group=sci.math#61614

Subject: Re: Refuting the Linz Halting Problem Proof (V15)(top reviewer list)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.math,comp.software-eng
References: <eqSdnT7MdazmzCv9nZ2dnUU7-KPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <L4ztI.194615$lyv9.176457@fx35.iad> <OMidnaUMfOPncSv9nZ2dnUU7-V3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <tqCtI.51045$AU5.39162@fx29.iad> <9_-dnXFMFIavZyv9nZ2dnUU7-RfNnZ2d@giganews.com> <BwJtI.492538$ST2.269672@fx47.iad> <87im2w8n14.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <9didnVwUmpDkBSr9nZ2dnUU7-TXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <efVtI.9839$EW.5167@fx04.iad> <h6qdnWjWbL_PsCX9nZ2dnUU7-X_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <SuWtI.351980$Skn4.299068@fx17.iad> <eqadnbvBJ_OYqCX9nZ2dnUU7-V-dnZ2d@giganews.com> <s99h8j$h4a$1@dont-email.me> <m92dneVQ5PZ9zCX9nZ2dnUU7-cHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <lV2uI.67100$Mz2.6603@fx14.iad> <EcOdnar-j4DFQCX9nZ2dnUU7-L3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <4vfuI.12321$y%.6144@fx08.iad> <1didnU7BosSvGiT9nZ2dnUU7-aXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <1XfuI.10618$J21.2631@fx40.iad> <I6udncmIi5eCDST9nZ2dnUU7-anNnZ2d@giganews.com> <MGguI.93514$RC2.49347@fx27.iad> <KKqdndPje79kAiT9nZ2dnUU7-VXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <%mouI.68989$N%1.53652@fx28.iad> <UYydnYD52dsxqif9nZ2dnUU7-LnNnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 11:14:09 -0500
 by: olcott - Fri, 4 Jun 2021 16:14 UTC

On 6/4/2021 9:24 AM, olcott wrote:
> [...]
>>> to perfectly grok (B) before dismissing it out-of-hand.
>>
>> And if B is also wrong then we know the question has no correct answer.
>> Not all questions do.
>>>
>>> Both Ben and Kaz do seem to understand the truism:

>> It might be an Olcoot-Halting Decider, but your H is an incorrect
>> Computation Theory Halting Decider, because you are using a wrong
>> definition.
>>
>> You are baseing it on a Falsehood.
>>
>> The RIGHT Truism would be Every simulation that would never stop unless
>> the Decider Simulating it corrctly stops it specifies an infinite
>> execution.
>>
>> The problem with this Truism is that it is useless for showing
>> non-halting as only CORRECTLY stopping matters, so you need a REAL proof
>> that it is non-halting before you can use this to be able to say it is.
>>

> This proof may be over your head.
>
> int Simulate(u32 P, u32 I)
> {
>   ((void(*)(u32))P)(I);
>   return 1;
> }
>
> // Simplified Linz Ĥ (Linz:1990:319)
> void H_Hat(u32 P)
> {
>   u32 Input_Halts = H(P, P);  // Linz H as a partial halt decider
>   if (Input_Halts)
>     HERE: goto HERE;
> }
>
> // Simplified Linz Ĥ (Linz:1990:319)
> void H_Hat2(u32 P)
> {
>   u32 Input_Halts = Simulate(P, P);  // Linz H as a partial halt decider
>   if (Input_Halts)
>     HERE: goto HERE;
> }
>
> int main()
> {
>   Simulate((u32)H_Hat2,(u32)H_Hat2);
>   Simulate((u32)H_Hat, (u32)H_Hat);
> }
>
> Anyone that knows programming will know that line 1 of main won't halt.
> Also anyone that knows programming will know that line 1 of main will
> only halt if H stops simulating H_Hat().
>
> You just might not be bright enough to see that this proves that H must
> stop simulating _H_Hat on line two.
>
>> Remember, a given H^ is built on a particular implementation of H, and
>> thus the question of what should H do isn't a valid question at this
>> point, as it has already been established when H was given. H MUST do
>> what H was programmed to do. Turing Machines are machines of
>> deterministic calculation, you logic is presuming a volatile mode of
>> calculation, where H might change what it does based on something
>> outside its determined programming.
>>
>> Maybe if you could ACTUALLY create a machine that could actually DO this
>> sort method of computation, you could revolutionize the field. Note,
>> this doesn't mean that some outside agent changes the machine, as that
>> says that the outside agent is now 'part' of the decider, you need the
>> machine to do this itself, consistently but not mechanically so that you

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Halting problem undecidability and infinitely nested simulation(V17)

<-4WdnR0yAt7dQSP9nZ2dnUU7-SXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=61975&group=sci.math#61975

Subject: Re: Halting problem undecidability and infinitely nested simulation(V17)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.math
References: <eqSdnT7MdazmzCv9nZ2dnUU7-KPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <u8GdnS_8AtDvuSD9nZ2dnUU7-S-dnZ2d@giganews.com> <zO9vI.352158$Skn4.116516@fx17.iad> <-KidnWqc-a0n0yD9nZ2dnUU7-b3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <RwcvI.569000$ST2.422939@fx47.iad> <BZudnTqz5uPzyiD9nZ2dnUU7-S_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <hddvI.18411$z%.12054@fx06.iad> <bJydnQMEzLhY_yD9nZ2dnUU7-U_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <LVdvI.640513$2A5.602128@fx45.iad> <DbCdnb3roJ-j6CD9nZ2dnUU7-XfNnZ2d@giganews.com> <IYevI.61329$zx1.24636@fx20.iad> <Tvmdncmx06PE4yD9nZ2dnUU7-RXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <FyfvI.6712$8m1.1960@fx12.iad> <qYmdnZS2adi1FSD9nZ2dnUU7-IPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <ibgvI.107931$N%1.52612@fx28.iad> <e6OdnehadNWsDCD9nZ2dnUU7-S3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <TRnvI.23309$jf1.19059@fx37.iad> <OLOdnQKvhru6tSP9nZ2dnUU7-d3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <MezvI.6242$8f1.5856@fx23.iad> <weGdnSTP64n0ViP9nZ2dnUU7-SnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <Y6AvI.645090$2A5.607173@fx45.iad> <87im2pw0qo.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <QQAvI.94290$5%7.13832@fx13.iad>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 21:56:08 -0500
 by: olcott - Tue, 8 Jun 2021 02:56 UTC

On 6/7/2021 9:45 PM, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 6/7/21 10:26 PM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
>> Richard Damon <Richard@Damon-Family.org> writes:
>>
>>> You are free to create a DIFFERENT system, and in that define your
>>> Olcott-Halting however you want, but it is a DIFFERENT system and does
>>> not apply to the original or any of that original's uses.
>>
>> And it too is undecidable in the general case! Whilst this silly
>> notation was concocted as an excuse for returning the wrong result for
>> the one instance PO obsesses about, he's claimed to have a design that
>> detects those, and only those, computations that have to be stopped.
>> But that's impossible. An infinity to halting computations have to be
>> stopped early or he'd have a conventional halting decider.
>>

> Yes, he reaches his stated goal of making that class of proofs not work
> in his system, but halting is still not deciable, unless it is
> considered decidable because the system is inconsistent which mean ALL
> machines can be 'proven' to be Halting and Non-Halting at the same time
> (due to the principle of the propagation of inconsistency).

Every computation that would never halt unless its simulation is aborted
is a computation that specifies infinite execution even after it has
been forced to halt.

void Infinite_Loop()
{ HERE: goto HERE;
}

int main()
{ u32 Input_Would_Halt2 = H((u32)Infinite_Loop, (u32)Infinite_Loop);
Output("Input_Would_Halt2 = ", Input_Would_Halt2);
}

_Infinite_Loop()
[00000a90](01) 55 push ebp
[00000a91](02) 8bec mov ebp,esp
[00000a93](02) ebfe jmp 00000a93
[00000a95](01) 5d pop ebp
[00000a96](01) c3 ret
Size in bytes:(0007) [00000a96]

_main()
[00000b40](01) 55 push ebp
[00000b41](02) 8bec mov ebp,esp
[00000b43](01) 51 push ecx
[00000b44](05) 68900a0000 push 00000a90
[00000b49](05) 68900a0000 push 00000a90
[00000b4e](05) e8edfdffff call 00000940
[00000b53](03) 83c408 add esp,+08
[00000b56](03) 8945fc mov [ebp-04],eax
[00000b59](03) 8b45fc mov eax,[ebp-04]
[00000b5c](01) 50 push eax
[00000b5d](05) 682b030000 push 0000032b
[00000b62](05) e8f9f7ffff call 00000360
[00000b67](03) 83c408 add esp,+08
[00000b6a](02) 33c0 xor eax,eax
[00000b6c](02) 8be5 mov esp,ebp
[00000b6e](01) 5d pop ebp
[00000b6f](01) c3 ret
Size in bytes:(0048) [00000b6f]

===============================
....[00000b40][00101533][00000000](01) 55 push ebp
....[00000b41][00101533][00000000](02) 8bec mov ebp,esp
....[00000b43][0010152f][00000000](01) 51 push ecx
....[00000b44][0010152b][00000a90](05) 68900a0000 push 00000a90
....[00000b49][00101527][00000a90](05) 68900a0000 push 00000a90
....[00000b4e][00101523][00000b53](05) e8edfdffff call 00000940
Begin Local Halt Decider Simulation at Machine Address:a90
....[00000a90][002115d3][002115d7](01) 55 push ebp
....[00000a91][002115d3][002115d7](02) 8bec mov ebp,esp
....[00000a93][002115d3][002115d7](02) ebfe jmp 00000a93
....[00000a93][002115d3][002115d7](02) ebfe jmp 00000a93
Local Halt Decider: Infinite Loop Detected Simulation Stopped
....[00000b53][0010152f][00000000](03) 83c408 add esp,+08
....[00000b56][0010152f][00000000](03) 8945fc mov [ebp-04],eax
....[00000b59][0010152f][00000000](03) 8b45fc mov eax,[ebp-04]
....[00000b5c][0010152b][00000000](01) 50 push eax
....[00000b5d][00101527][0000032b](05) 682b030000 push 0000032b
---[00000b62][00101527][0000032b](05) e8f9f7ffff call 00000360
Input_Would_Halt2 = 0
....[00000b67][0010152f][00000000](03) 83c408 add esp,+08
....[00000b6a][0010152f][00000000](02) 33c0 xor eax,eax
....[00000b6c][00101533][00000000](02) 8be5 mov esp,ebp
....[00000b6e][00101537][00100000](01) 5d pop ebp
....[00000b6f][0010153b][00000050](01) c3 ret
Number_of_User_Instructions(21)
Number of Instructions Executed(640)

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

Re: Halting problem undecidability and infinitely nested simulation(V17)(infinite recursion)

<GdednRmMDph2eyP9nZ2dnUU7-RfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=61977&group=sci.math#61977

Subject: Re: Halting problem undecidability and infinitely nested
simulation(V17)(infinite recursion)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.math
<ZL2dnT_9PeDsTiP9nZ2dnUU7-S3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<3OAvI.5775$9q1.1461@fx09.iad>
<lu-dnV-sVaz1RyP9nZ2dnUU7-N3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<6bBvI.11156$e21.9770@fx02.iad>
<xvGdnS_luLwdfiP9nZ2dnUU7-SnNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<NABvI.15536$341.10132@fx42.iad>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 22:41:39 -0500
 by: olcott - Tue, 8 Jun 2021 03:41 UTC

On 6/7/2021 10:36 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> Except that H_Hat belongs to Both, as it DOES Halt, and if you use a
>>> different halt decider than this H, but some alternate version, THAT one
>>> will correctly decide it to be Halting.
>>>
>>> Thus you division is inconsistent.
>>
>> No invocation of H_Hat() ever halts unless some H_Hat() has had its
>> simulation aborted.
>>
>> Here is the appropriate analogy:
>> Infinite recursion that is cut off because one of its otherwise
>> infinitely recursive calls was stopped must still be construed as
>> infinite recursion for the entire chain of calls.
>>

> BUT, SINCE H Does abort its simulation, H_Hat does Halt, so H was wrong.

When H aborts the simulation of an infinite loop H is correct.

When H aborts the simulation of infinite recursion no matter which
recursive call it aborts it correctly decides that the whole call chain
was infinitely recursive.

It is the same thing with H_Hat(H_Hat).

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

Re: Halting problem undecidability and infinitely nested simulation(V17)(infinite recursion)

<rfudnTJ4Cu76vF39nZ2dnUU7-ePNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=62099&group=sci.math#62099

Subject: Re: Halting problem undecidability and infinitely nested simulation(V17)(infinite recursion)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.math
References: <eqSdnT7MdazmzCv9nZ2dnUU7-KPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <LVdvI.640513$2A5.602128@fx45.iad> <DbCdnb3roJ-j6CD9nZ2dnUU7-XfNnZ2d@giganews.com> <IYevI.61329$zx1.24636@fx20.iad> <Tvmdncmx06PE4yD9nZ2dnUU7-RXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <FyfvI.6712$8m1.1960@fx12.iad> <qYmdnZS2adi1FSD9nZ2dnUU7-IPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <ibgvI.107931$N%1.52612@fx28.iad> <e6OdnehadNWsDCD9nZ2dnUU7-S3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <TRnvI.23309$jf1.19059@fx37.iad> <OLOdnQKvhru6tSP9nZ2dnUU7-d3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <MezvI.6242$8f1.5856@fx23.iad> <weGdnSTP64n0ViP9nZ2dnUU7-SnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <Y6AvI.645090$2A5.607173@fx45.iad> <ZL2dnT_9PeDsTiP9nZ2dnUU7-S3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <3OAvI.5775$9q1.1461@fx09.iad> <lu-dnV-sVaz1RyP9nZ2dnUU7-N3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <6bBvI.11156$e21.9770@fx02.iad> <xvGdnS_luLwdfiP9nZ2dnUU7-SnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <NABvI.15536$341.10132@fx42.iad> <GdednRmMDph2eyP9nZ2dnUU7-RfNnZ2d@giganews.com> <RsIvI.583081$ST2.499149@fx47.iad> <W9SdnR0dAqEi8iL9nZ2dnUU7-ffNnZ2d@giganews.com> <%EUvI.33015$9a1.16720@fx38.iad>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 21:03:26 -0500
 by: olcott - Wed, 9 Jun 2021 02:03 UTC

On 6/8/2021 8:17 PM, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 6/8/21 9:25 AM, olcott wrote:

>>> But answering that H_Hat is non-Halting is incorrect, because
>>> H_Hat(H_Hat) does halt, right? You have previously admitted thatm

>>> But, since H DOES abort it, it isn't infinite recursion. THAT is the
>>> point you miss.
>>>

>> That is not the way that it works.
>
> Why Not? Do you have any authoratitive grounds to say otherwise?
>
> Maybe you problem is you just don't understand what words actually mean.
>
> Halting means it does come to a stop, Non-Halting means it never comes
> to a stop.

This is self-evident (true on the basis of the meaning of its words).
Every computation that only stops because its simulation was aborted is
not a halting computation even when its simulating halt decider forces
it to stop.

> Even you have agreed that H_Hat(H_Hat) will come to a Halt, thus it IS a
> Halting Computation.

It halts in exactly the same way that an infinitely recursive sequence
of function calls comes to a halt if any one of them is forced to halt.

The fact that a simulating halt decider forced one of these otherwise
infinitely recursive function calls to halt does not mean that this was
not an infinitely recursive sequence of function calls.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

Re: Halting problem undecidability and infinitely nested simulation(V17)(proof complete)

<GYydnUai64NP81_9nZ2dnUU7-L3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=62286&group=sci.math#62286

Subject: Re: Halting problem undecidability and infinitely nested simulation(V17)(proof complete)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.math
References: <eqSdnT7MdazmzCv9nZ2dnUU7-KPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <lu-dnV-sVaz1RyP9nZ2dnUU7-N3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <6bBvI.11156$e21.9770@fx02.iad> <xvGdnS_luLwdfiP9nZ2dnUU7-SnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <NABvI.15536$341.10132@fx42.iad> <GdednRmMDph2eyP9nZ2dnUU7-RfNnZ2d@giganews.com> <RsIvI.583081$ST2.499149@fx47.iad> <W9SdnR0dAqEi8iL9nZ2dnUU7-ffNnZ2d@giganews.com> <%EUvI.33015$9a1.16720@fx38.iad> <rfudnTJ4Cu76vF39nZ2dnUU7-ePNnZ2d@giganews.com> <GOVvI.737580$nn2.464981@fx48.iad> <TYKdnclQqZ2nsV39nZ2dnUU7-Y3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <6fWvI.588178$ST2.374287@fx47.iad> <KaudndqfatbRqV39nZ2dnUU7-ePNnZ2d@giganews.com> <Mf1wI.588979$ST2.494523@fx47.iad> <XPidnVPwI9VZTV39nZ2dnUU7-YHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <aoewI.627617$2N3.282544@fx33.iad> <K4SdnTg_mouh6Fz9nZ2dnUU7-b3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <_LewI.352185$Skn4.52563@fx17.iad> <UZmdnWP4LaPl5Fz9nZ2dnUU7-IGdnZ2d@giganews.com> <XLlwI.81725$Vh1.11853@fx21.iad> <zsydnSTrq_09Z1z9nZ2dnUU7-LudnZ2d@giganews.com> <384517d0-3069-49c3-bb3a-0c5cead857fen@googlegroups.com>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 14:58:14 -0500
 by: olcott - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 19:58 UTC

On 6/10/2021 2:10 PM, dklei...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 4:42:31 AM UTC-7, olcott wrote:
>
>> I guess that we are done here.
>
> That was a mighty mess. I am delighted it is finally done.
>
> Would you please tell us just what you proved?

The standard pseudo-code halting problem template "proved" that the
halting problem could never be solved on the basis that neither value of
true (halting) nor false (not halting) could be correctly returned to
the confounding input.

Halting Problem -- Simple Proof
https://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~cs5234/FAQ/halt.html

The problem is overcome on the basis that the halt decider aborts its
simulation of this input before ever returning any value to this input.

The halt decider aborts the simulation of its input on the basis that
its input specifies what is essentially infinite recursion to any
simulating halt decider.

I have also shown that this same reasoning is directly applied to the
Peter Linz halting problem proof.

void H_Hat(u32 P)
{ u32 Input_Halts = H(P, P);
if (Input_Halts)
HERE: goto HERE;
}

int main()
{ u32 Input_Would_Halt6 = H((u32)H_Hat, (u32)H_Hat);
Output("Input_Would_Halt6 = ", Input_Would_Halt6);
}

http://www.liarparadox.org/Halting_problem_undecidability_and_infinitely_nested_simulation.pdf

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

Re: Halting problem undecidability and infinitely nested simulation(V17)(proof complete)

<45SdnRFOvId551_9nZ2dnUU7-aHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=62297&group=sci.math#62297

simulation(V17)(proof complete)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,sci.math
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 15:49:44 -0500
 by: olcott - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 20:49 UTC

On 6/10/2021 2:58 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 6/10/2021 2:10 PM, dklei...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 4:42:31 AM UTC-7, olcott wrote:
>>
>>> I guess that we are done here.
>>
>> That was a mighty mess. I am delighted it is finally done.
>>
>> Would you please tell us just what you proved?
>>

> The standard pseudo-code halting problem template "proved" that the
> halting problem could never be solved on the basis that neither value of
> true (halting) nor false (not halting) could be correctly returned to
> the confounding input.
>
> Halting Problem -- Simple Proof
> https://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~cs5234/FAQ/halt.html
>
> The problem is overcome on the basis that the halt decider aborts its
> simulation of this input before ever returning any value to this input.
>
> The halt decider aborts the simulation of its input on the basis that
> its input specifies what is essentially infinite recursion to any
> simulating halt decider.
>
> I have also shown that this same reasoning is directly applied to the
> Peter Linz halting problem proof.
>
> void H_Hat(u32 P)
> {
>   u32 Input_Halts = H(P, P);
>   if (Input_Halts)
>     HERE: goto HERE;
> }
>
> int main()
> {
>   u32 Input_Would_Halt6 = H((u32)H_Hat, (u32)H_Hat);
>   Output("Input_Would_Halt6 = ", Input_Would_Halt6);
> }

Here is the right link: