From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Richard's Moment
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2022 09:46:26 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sun, 19 Jun 2022 16:46 UTC

So, Richard. Have you had the epiphany as to how to reconcile your
differences with the world and move on?

Curious what you decided if you have.

https://www.avg.com

Re: Richard's Moment

<ly4k0fsmyo.fsf@void.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6138&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6138

From: nul...@void.com (Richard Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Richard's Moment
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 10:28:31 +0100
 by: Richard Smith - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 09:28 UTC

Bob La Londe <none@none.com99> writes:

> So, Richard. Have you had the epiphany as to how to reconcile your
> differences with the world and move on?
>
> Curious what you decided if you have.

I'm missing which "Richard"...
I'll comment for myself.

I've side-stepped everything.
I've got on with doing a lot of crewing on sailing yachts out at sea.
With working on the water then most jobs being re. marine begged to be
capitalised on.
Naviagation at sea and seapersonship very much to the fore now.

Nothing come through yet(?) on "fatigue resistant welds" ideas.
That's the idea that welds done as they should be could have about the
same cyclic-stress fatigue endurance as the steels they are joinning.
Pressing various parties in cluding a nearby research group a
follow-up citing this ("square wheels")
https://hakanforss.wordpress.com/too-busy-to-improve/
https://hakanforss.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/are-you-too-busy-to-improve2.png
also didn't elicit any response, surprisingly...
(they said they were too busy at that time to consider my idea)

Basically everything is in a "holding pattern" which is why the
sailing, to give me a "compass North" for structure.

The "Ukraine war" situation is causing a look at resources here, and
as most of the "North Sea oil boom 'Gold Standard'" have retired since
the oil price crash of early 2014, I'm wondering whether opportunities
might result.
Only whimsical thoughts, seeing as I know the managerialist grip has
only increased and any money aimed at a goal of increasing real
resource production will be tipped into "feasibility studies" and
other anything-but getting on with the actual job.

Likewise talk of having some Quality Control is like being a derranged
off-their-heads long-haired wild aging social outcast standing on a
storm-lashed rock outcrop shouting into the winds a message no-one
will hear.

So I'll just get on with a bit of sailing for now... :-)

Rich Smith

Re: Richard's Moment

<t8pp8t$bmt$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6140&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6140

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 08:30:17 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 12:30 UTC

"Richard Smith" wrote in message news:ly4k0fsmyo.fsf@void.com...
[...frustration...]
So I'll just get on with a bit of sailing for now... :-)

Rich Smith

-------------------

There's a large difference between doing things open-loop and having
feedback for correction. Open-loop encourages following existing rules,
often without understanding them. Feedback requires possibly expensive
instrumentation to measure performance, the skill to use it which can be
hard to acquire, and a mindset which tolerates being proven wrong. That last
may be the highest barrier.

Some of the most brilliant and well-educated Ph.Ds I've worked for were the
most open to change and the tradesmen were the most defensive of the little
they knew. The research Ph.Ds had the instruments to prove or disprove their
design concepts.

This is a very useful instrument of that type at an amazingly low price:
https://www.amazon.com/Analyzer-Aideepen-Spectrum-Measuring-Parameters/dp/B09BJ93PNH/ref=nav_signin?ie=UTF8&th=1&

The article on collectively writing screenplays I posted also applies to
collaboration in a research environment. The difference is that scientists
tend to hide their feelings while theatre people express them, for practice,
which provides immediate feedback. I attended a seminar on corporate
management styles in which the speaker referred to the difficulties of
working for Leonard Bernstein.