Profanity is the one language all programmers know best.

tech / rec.crafts.metalworking / Re: Connection Problem

SubjectAuthor
* Connection ProblemRussell E. Libby
+- Re: Connection ProblemHul Tytus
+- Re: Connection ProblemDavid Billington
+* Re: Connection ProblemClare Snyder
|`* Re: Connection ProblemCydrome Leader
| `- Re: Connection ProblemClare Snyder
`- Re: Connection ProblemBob La Londe

1
Connection Problem

<291f7d0d-16fa-465e-841a-ce0eb1cc37c9n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6184&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6184

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 12:06:50 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Connection Problem
From: thecowbo...@gmail.com (Russell E. Libby)
 by: Russell E. Libby - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 19:06 UTC

First of all I would like to say hello to everyone in this group. I appreciate the opportunity to ask you for help. I have a Plasma Cam purchased in 2004. Original computer just died so went to connect a modern one and needed to update my cable with one that had a USB port. This is what I found. "Parallel IEEE 1284 Printer Cable Adapter" I now get this error code:

"Unable to conecto machine. Check power, ports and cables. Turn off controller for 5 seconds (and/or disconnect cable) then try again."
Any suggestions.......
Thanks again,
Russell E. Libby REL

Re: Connection Problem

<tbsdbg$pso$1@reader2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6185&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6185

From: ht...@panix.com (Hul Tytus)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Connection Problem
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 22:14:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Hul Tytus - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 22:14 UTC

If nothing else is found, you might look on the internet for a used old computer with a parallel port (non modern).
I've done that with adequet success.

Hul

Russell E. Libby <thecowboyandthelady@gmail.com> wrote:
> First of all I would like to say hello to everyone in this group. I appreciate the opportunity to ask you for help. I have a Plasma Cam purchased in 2004. Original computer just died so went to connect a modern one and needed to update my cable with one that had a USB port. This is what I found. "Parallel IEEE 1284 Printer Cable Adapter" I now get this error code:

> "Unable to conecto machine. Check power, ports and cables. Turn off controller for 5 seconds (and/or disconnect cable) then try again."
> Any suggestions.......
> Thanks again,
> Russell E. Libby REL

Re: Connection Problem

<tbsf90$2l9ev$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6186&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6186

From: djb...@invalid.com (David Billington)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 23:46:56 +0100
 by: David Billington - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 22:46 UTC

On 27/07/2022 20:06, Russell E. Libby wrote:
> First of all I would like to say hello to everyone in this group. I appreciate the opportunity to ask you for help. I have a Plasma Cam purchased in 2004. Original computer just died so went to connect a modern one and needed to update my cable with one that had a USB port. This is what I found. "Parallel IEEE 1284 Printer Cable Adapter" I now get this error code:
>
> "Unable to conecto machine. Check power, ports and cables. Turn off controller for 5 seconds (and/or disconnect cable) then try again."
> Any suggestions.......
> Thanks again,
> Russell E. Libby REL

Have you looked at the device configuration in Control Panel and checked
the configuration and status, I presume this is in MS Windows.

Re: Connection Problem

<8un3eh1odc3c2v60bstopsi96ohjk1ca97@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6188&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6188

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 21:03:37 -0400
 by: Clare Snyder - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 01:03 UTC

On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 12:06:50 -0700 (PDT), "Russell E. Libby"
<thecowboyandthelady@gmail.com> wrote:

>First of all I would like to say hello to everyone in this group. I appreciate the opportunity to ask you for help. I have a Plasma Cam purchased in 2004. Original computer just died so went to connect a modern one and needed to update my cable with one that had a USB port. This is what I found. "Parallel IEEE 1284 Printer Cable Adapter" I now get this error code:
>
>"Unable to conecto machine. Check power, ports and cables. Turn off controller for 5 seconds (and/or disconnect cable) then try again."
>Any suggestions.......
> Thanks again,
> Russell E. Libby REL
usb TO PARALLEL ADAPTERS ARE NOTORIOUSLY FLAKEY. Get e REAL parallel
port card - likely your best bet is a StarTech parallel port -PCI
Express most likrly.

Re: Connection Problem

<tbv1nj$1c3e$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6189&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6189

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 15:14:12 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 22:14 UTC

On 7/27/2022 12:06 PM, Russell E. Libby wrote:
> First of all I would like to say hello to everyone in this group. I appreciate the opportunity to ask you for help. I have a Plasma Cam purchased in 2004. Original computer just died so went to connect a modern one and needed to update my cable with one that had a USB port. This is what I found. "Parallel IEEE 1284 Printer Cable Adapter" I now get this error code:
>
> "Unable to conecto machine. Check power, ports and cables. Turn off controller for 5 seconds (and/or disconnect cable) then try again."
> Any suggestions.......
> Thanks again,
> Russell E. Libby REL

A Mesa Card might be an option. Its a true I/O board often used for CNC
controllers. I know its often the interface of choice for LinuxCNC and
PathPilot users. I have a basic 5i25 plugged into a slot on my Tormach
control machine. I haven't really looked into using it with Mach3/4.

For Mach3/4 I believe the Smoothstepper is the interface of choice
still. They make a USB interface board and an Ethernet interface board.
I have run both of them and found the ethernet interface to be work
much more smoothly, although I did run an industrial CNC knee mill for a
few years using a USB Smoothstepper between the computer and my breakout
board.

Your biggest issue may be if you do not know the pin assignments of your
machine.

UCCNC also has USB and Ethernet interfaces, but I have heard they can be
a bit finicky.

https://www.avg.com

Re: Connection Problem

<tc1p05$ae2$1@reader2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6193&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6193

From: prese...@MUNGEpanix.com (Cydrome Leader)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 23:03:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Cydrome Leader - Fri, 29 Jul 2022 23:03 UTC

Clare Snyder <clare@snyder.on.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 12:06:50 -0700 (PDT), "Russell E. Libby"
> <thecowboyandthelady@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>First of all I would like to say hello to everyone in this group. I appreciate the opportunity to ask you for help. I have a Plasma Cam purchased in 2004. Original computer just died so went to connect a modern one and needed to update my cable with one that had a USB port. This is what I found. "Parallel IEEE 1284 Printer Cable Adapter" I now get this error code:
>>
>>"Unable to conecto machine. Check power, ports and cables. Turn off controller for 5 seconds (and/or disconnect cable) then try again."
>>Any suggestions.......
>> Thanks again,
>> Russell E. Libby REL
> usb TO PARALLEL ADAPTERS ARE NOTORIOUSLY FLAKEY. Get e REAL parallel
> port card - likely your best bet is a StarTech parallel port -PCI
> Express most likrly.

I second this. USB to (anthing else) adapters are flakey garbage, unless
you can find a super expensive one from a completely legitimate company. A
standalone card will be cheaper either way. Startech stuff is good.

Re: Connection Problem

<dre9ehp6pjk7spr8j9tuflkonhoilhq3bl@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6195&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6195

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 01:09:11 -0400
 by: Clare Snyder - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 05:09 UTC

On Fri, 29 Jul 2022 23:03:33 -0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
<presence@MUNGEpanix.com> wrote:

>Clare Snyder <clare@snyder.on.ca> wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 12:06:50 -0700 (PDT), "Russell E. Libby"
>> <thecowboyandthelady@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>First of all I would like to say hello to everyone in this group. I appreciate the opportunity to ask you for help. I have a Plasma Cam purchased in 2004. Original computer just died so went to connect a modern one and needed to update my cable with one that had a USB port. This is what I found. "Parallel IEEE 1284 Printer Cable Adapter" I now get this error code:
>>>
>>>"Unable to conecto machine. Check power, ports and cables. Turn off controller for 5 seconds (and/or disconnect cable) then try again."
>>>Any suggestions.......
>>> Thanks again,
>>> Russell E. Libby REL
>> usb TO PARALLEL ADAPTERS ARE NOTORIOUSLY FLAKEY. Get e REAL parallel
>> port card - likely your best bet is a StarTech parallel port -PCI
>> Express most likrly.
>
>I second this. USB to (anthing else) adapters are flakey garbage, unless
>you can find a super expensive one from a completely legitimate company. A
>standalone card will be cheaper either way. Startech stuff is good.
The problem with usb adapters is the drivers and how they have to
interface to the OS through the API. There really isn't a solid
standard that everyone follows - the old "the beauty of computer
standards is there are so many to choose from" - since Windows 98 or
XP there is no way to directly address hardware devices like the old
DOS days and USB adds an extra layer of uncertainty/complication