Due to lack of disk space, this fortune database has been discontinued.

tech / rec.crafts.metalworking / cleaning permanent magnets

SubjectAuthor
* cleaning permanent magnetsbob prohaska
+- Re: cleaning permanent magnetsBob Engelhardt
+* Re: cleaning permanent magnetsJohn B.
|`* Re: cleaning permanent magnetsbob prohaska
| `- Re: cleaning permanent magnetsLeon Fisk
+- Re: cleaning permanent magnetsJoe Gwinn
+- Re: cleaning permanent magnetsBob La Londe
`* Re: cleaning permanent magnetsCydrome Leader
 `- Re: cleaning permanent magnetsbob prohaska

1
cleaning permanent magnets

<tc4jqs$m8e$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6197&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6197

From: bp...@www.zefox.net (bob prohaska)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: cleaning permanent magnets
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 00:53:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: bob prohaska - Sun, 31 Jul 2022 00:53 UTC

I finally got the Shimano dynamo hub apart and sure
enough, a magnet was loose, apparently lifted by rust
forming between magnet and iron field ring.

It isn't hard to sand the rust off the magnet and
field piece but it's quite hard to remove the resulting
magnetic particles from the assembly. Just a few bits of
debris left behind will keep the magnet from settling
into place and thus give clearance problems.

Does anybody have a good way to grab and remove magnetic
debris with the consistency of flour to fine sand? I've
tried masking tape, but it's slow and won't reach into recessed
spaces.
Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Re: cleaning permanent magnets

<YOlFK.577288$ssF.560463@fx14.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6198&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6198

Subject: Re: cleaning permanent magnets
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: BobEngel...@comcast.net (Bob Engelhardt)
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 22:30:17 -0400
 by: Bob Engelhardt - Sun, 31 Jul 2022 02:30 UTC

One thing that I do is use compressed air to blow it off. The really
small particles don't blow off, but they can be herded to an edge for
picking off.

Re: cleaning permanent magnets

<nbsbehthbfe302rna02ucjm03kkcanb7sq@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6199&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6199

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 10:09:11 +0700
 by: John B. - Sun, 31 Jul 2022 03:09 UTC

On Sun, 31 Jul 2022 00:53:48 -0000 (UTC), bob prohaska
<bp@www.zefox.net> wrote:

>I finally got the Shimano dynamo hub apart and sure
>enough, a magnet was loose, apparently lifted by rust
>forming between magnet and iron field ring.
>
>It isn't hard to sand the rust off the magnet and
>field piece but it's quite hard to remove the resulting
>magnetic particles from the assembly. Just a few bits of
>debris left behind will keep the magnet from settling
>into place and thus give clearance problems.
>
>Does anybody have a good way to grab and remove magnetic
>debris with the consistency of flour to fine sand? I've
>tried masking tape, but it's slow and won't reach into recessed
>spaces.
>
>Thanks for reading,
>
>bob prohaska

Post the above to rec.bicycles.tech and you'll get more answers then
you can imagine, but pay attention to any response from an Andrew
Muzi, who has been in the business for years and years.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: cleaning permanent magnets

<4j5dehdfemvgd563rk25v7gat13iklqpp1@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6200&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6200

From: joegw...@comcast.net (Joe Gwinn)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 11:05:33 -0400
 by: Joe Gwinn - Sun, 31 Jul 2022 15:05 UTC

<bp@www.zefox.net> wrote:

>I finally got the Shimano dynamo hub apart and sure
>enough, a magnet was loose, apparently lifted by rust
>forming between magnet and iron field ring.
>
>It isn't hard to sand the rust off the magnet and
>field piece but it's quite hard to remove the resulting
>magnetic particles from the assembly. Just a few bits of
>debris left behind will keep the magnet from settling
>into place and thus give clearance problems.
>
>Does anybody have a good way to grab and remove magnetic
>debris with the consistency of flour to fine sand? I've
>tried masking tape, but it's slow and won't reach into recessed
>spaces.

The old-time method was to coat the article to be cleaned with
collodion, allow it to dry, then peel the collodion film off by hand.
This is still used to clean optical surfaces such as front-surface
aluminum mirrors.

Collodion is a strippable coating, and other strippable-coating kinds
may be suitable for cleaning magnets.

Joe Gwinn

Re: cleaning permanent magnets

<tc66c9$d640$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6201&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6201

From: bp...@www.zefox.net (bob prohaska)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 15:16:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: bob prohaska - Sun, 31 Jul 2022 15:16 UTC

John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Jul 2022 00:53:48 -0000 (UTC), bob prohaska
> <bp@www.zefox.net> wrote:
>

>>Does anybody have a good way to grab and remove magnetic
>>debris with the consistency of flour to fine sand? I've
>
> Post the above to rec.bicycles.tech and you'll get more answers then
> you can imagine, but pay attention to any response from an Andrew
> Muzi, who has been in the business for years and years.

I read rec.bicycles.tech routinely and will try that next. I was
hopeful that folks who do metalworking might have some experience
cleaning permanent magnet field assemblies after machining.

Use of dynamo hubs is rare among cyclists. One other community
that could offer insights would be the folks who use electric RC
models. Alas, the newsgroups I can find on eternal-september don't
have an electric-power subgroup. General web searches aren't much
help without very well-chosen keywords, which I have so far failed
to guess.

Thanks for writing,

bob prohaska

Re: cleaning permanent magnets

<tc6etc$epfo$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6202&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6202

From: lfis...@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 13:42:03 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Sun, 31 Jul 2022 17:42 UTC

On Sun, 31 Jul 2022 15:16:25 -0000 (UTC)
bob prohaska <bp@www.zefox.net> wrote:

<snip>
>Use of dynamo hubs is rare among cyclists. One other community
>that could offer insights would be the folks who use electric RC
>models. Alas, the newsgroups I can find on eternal-september don't
>have an electric-power subgroup. General web searches aren't much
>help without very well-chosen keywords, which I have so far failed
>to guess.

Had this problem with big magnets on sirens back in the day. More of a
rust problem on them though. Sometimes you could get lucky if they
weren't too bad. Blow with shop air and masking tape folded with sticky
side out over something like feeler gauge material...

I get a few hits searching on this with:

https://www.google.com/search?q=cleaning+speaker+magnets

I like Joe's suggestion :) I've used this temporary caulk around the
window AC unit before:

https://www.amazon.com/18354-Seal-Removable-Caulk-10-1-Ounce/dp/B001QFZS6E/

It pulled off well in the fall when removing the unit for winter.
Doesn't keep well, use it up shortly after opening it because it will
spoil before needing it again next year :(

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: cleaning permanent magnets

<tc6smh$g6p3$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6203&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6203

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 14:37:22 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sun, 31 Jul 2022 21:37 UTC

On 7/30/2022 5:53 PM, bob prohaska wrote:
> I finally got the Shimano dynamo hub apart and sure
> enough, a magnet was loose, apparently lifted by rust
> forming between magnet and iron field ring.
>
> It isn't hard to sand the rust off the magnet and
> field piece but it's quite hard to remove the resulting
> magnetic particles from the assembly. Just a few bits of
> debris left behind will keep the magnet from settling
> into place and thus give clearance problems.
>
> Does anybody have a good way to grab and remove magnetic
> debris with the consistency of flour to fine sand? I've
> tried masking tape, but it's slow and won't reach into recessed
> spaces.
>
> Thanks for reading,
>
> bob prohaska

Just a wild idea. Cover it in RTV silicone, give it a day or two to
cure. Peal it off.

Never tried it. Just popped up in my head right now.

https://www.avg.com

Re: cleaning permanent magnets

<tc9ed7$cmr$1@reader2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6207&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6207

From: prese...@MUNGEpanix.com (Cydrome Leader)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 20:51:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Cydrome Leader - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 20:51 UTC

bob prohaska <bp@www.zefox.net> wrote:
> I finally got the Shimano dynamo hub apart and sure
> enough, a magnet was loose, apparently lifted by rust
> forming between magnet and iron field ring.
>
> It isn't hard to sand the rust off the magnet and
> field piece but it's quite hard to remove the resulting
> magnetic particles from the assembly. Just a few bits of
> debris left behind will keep the magnet from settling
> into place and thus give clearance problems.
>
> Does anybody have a good way to grab and remove magnetic
> debris with the consistency of flour to fine sand? I've
> tried masking tape, but it's slow and won't reach into recessed
> spaces.
>
> Thanks for reading,
>
> bob prohaska

try soft glue that doesn't stick to metal, like the white elmers. Blu-tack
sometimes works for debris on magnets too.

Re: cleaning permanent magnets

<tca29j$181ub$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6210&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6210

From: bp...@www.zefox.net (bob prohaska)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 02:31:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: bob prohaska - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 02:31 UTC

Cydrome Leader <presence@mungepanix.com> wrote:
> bob prohaska <bp@www.zefox.net> wrote:
>> Does anybody have a good way to grab and remove magnetic
>> debris with the consistency of flour to fine sand? I've
>> tried masking tape, but it's slow and won't reach into recessed
>> spaces.
>>
> try soft glue that doesn't stick to metal, like the white elmers. Blu-tack
> sometimes works for debris on magnets too.

Dammit! didn't think of that, and I have some on the shelf 8-(
Next time it's apart....

Thanks for writing,

bob prohaska