From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Chip cleanup
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 17:46:16 -0500
 by: Snag - Tue, 16 Aug 2022 22:46 UTC

I've always hated cleaning up the chips and occasional long spirals
after/during doing a project . Today I picked up a 3 gallon "shop vac"
unit at WallyWorld , around 36 bucks , for just that task . My machines
are going to have a lot less chips layin' around now . It's really cool
how all the chips go right to the bottom , and the bigger stuff that
might clog the hose (I'm using the "crevice tool" to limit size) will
collect on the end of the tool to be easily removed and dropped in the
trash container . Definitely worth the price for me . YMMV .
--
Snag
“Free speech is my right to say what you don’t

Re: Chip cleanup

<tdh76f$1usr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6244&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6244

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Chip cleanup
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 15:54:08 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Tue, 16 Aug 2022 22:54 UTC

On 8/16/2022 3:46 PM, Snag wrote:
>   I've always hated cleaning up the chips and occasional long spirals
> after/during doing a project . Today I picked up a 3 gallon "shop vac"
> unit at WallyWorld , around 36 bucks , for just that task . My machines
> are going to have a lot less chips layin' around now . It's really cool
> how all the chips go right to the bottom , and the bigger stuff that
> might clog the hose (I'm using the "crevice tool" to limit size) will
> collect on the end of the tool to be easily removed and dropped in the
> trash container . Definitely worth the price for me . YMMV .

I have been amazed at the pile of chips that build up on the base of the
big mill and in the chip pan of the lathe. Very quickly too. I'm used
to mucking out the CNC mills, but the manual machines can generate
serious piles of chips as well.

A shop vac is a help... but I have burned one up already. Salvaged the
motor just the other day to go in my copper recycle barrel. (The plan
is to make aluminum bronze in the foundry.)

They do not make vacuums as strong as they used to. When I was a kid my
Uncle Paul (mostly a fine wood worker in his shop) had a giant canister
vacuum that would suck up and dispose of pretty decent size wood blocks.
It would easily draw in sawdust at twice the distance of any modern
ShopVac style vacuum I have seen. Last year when I was in Ohio to visit
I should have asked if that beast was still around.

www.avg.com

Re: Chip cleanup

<dbnofhhijf071fge5bi59p2nmtsmlv5943@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6245&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6245

From: geraldrm...@yahoo.ca (Gerry)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 23:41:15 -0400
 by: Gerry - Wed, 17 Aug 2022 03:41 UTC

On Tue, 16 Aug 2022 15:54:08 -0700, Bob La Londe <none@none.com99>
wrote:

>On 8/16/2022 3:46 PM, Snag wrote:
>>   I've always hated cleaning up the chips and occasional long spirals
>> after/during doing a project . Today I picked up a 3 gallon "shop vac"
>> unit at WallyWorld , around 36 bucks , for just that task . My machines
>> are going to have a lot less chips layin' around now . It's really cool
>> how all the chips go right to the bottom , and the bigger stuff that
>> might clog the hose (I'm using the "crevice tool" to limit size) will
>> collect on the end of the tool to be easily removed and dropped in the
>> trash container . Definitely worth the price for me . YMMV .
>
>I have been amazed at the pile of chips that build up on the base of the
>big mill and in the chip pan of the lathe. Very quickly too. I'm used
>to mucking out the CNC mills, but the manual machines can generate
>serious piles of chips as well.
>
>A shop vac is a help... but I have burned one up already. Salvaged the
>motor just the other day to go in my copper recycle barrel. (The plan
>is to make aluminum bronze in the foundry.)
>
>They do not make vacuums as strong as they used to. When I was a kid my
>Uncle Paul (mostly a fine wood worker in his shop) had a giant canister
>vacuum that would suck up and dispose of pretty decent size wood blocks.
> It would easily draw in sawdust at twice the distance of any modern
>ShopVac style vacuum I have seen. Last year when I was in Ohio to visit
>I should have asked if that beast was still around.
Around ten years ago I spotted a "TECO" (T. Eaton Co.) shop vac at a
yard sale, still in its original carton with the oiginal mail order
shipping label intact. The seller mentioned that no one was interested
since it was for dry pick-up only and he was happy to get five bucks
from me for it.
Following my standard practice of installing an adapted thrift store
vacuum filter bag over the cloth filter, I noticed that the mechanism
was date stamped August xx, 1971 (I don't recall the exact date)!
This Vacuum has been parked in the laundry area for the last ten years
where it is used to clean the dryer lint trap, debis from puppy
haircuts, people haircts beard trims along with general worshop
cleanup as well as a couple vehicles.
Second son says "that shopvac really sucks!"

Re: Chip cleanup

<tdik3c$ed9h$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6246&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6246

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 06:40:30 -0500
 by: Snag - Wed, 17 Aug 2022 11:40 UTC

On 8/16/2022 10:41 PM, Gerry wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2022 15:54:08 -0700, Bob La Londe <none@none.com99>
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/16/2022 3:46 PM, Snag wrote:
>>>   I've always hated cleaning up the chips and occasional long spirals
>>> after/during doing a project . Today I picked up a 3 gallon "shop vac"
>>> unit at WallyWorld , around 36 bucks , for just that task . My machines
>>> are going to have a lot less chips layin' around now . It's really cool
>>> how all the chips go right to the bottom , and the bigger stuff that
>>> might clog the hose (I'm using the "crevice tool" to limit size) will
>>> collect on the end of the tool to be easily removed and dropped in the
>>> trash container . Definitely worth the price for me . YMMV .
>>
>> I have been amazed at the pile of chips that build up on the base of the
>> big mill and in the chip pan of the lathe. Very quickly too. I'm used
>> to mucking out the CNC mills, but the manual machines can generate
>> serious piles of chips as well.
>>
>> A shop vac is a help... but I have burned one up already. Salvaged the
>> motor just the other day to go in my copper recycle barrel. (The plan
>> is to make aluminum bronze in the foundry.)
>>
>> They do not make vacuums as strong as they used to. When I was a kid my
>> Uncle Paul (mostly a fine wood worker in his shop) had a giant canister
>> vacuum that would suck up and dispose of pretty decent size wood blocks.
>> It would easily draw in sawdust at twice the distance of any modern
>> ShopVac style vacuum I have seen. Last year when I was in Ohio to visit
>> I should have asked if that beast was still around.
> Around ten years ago I spotted a "TECO" (T. Eaton Co.) shop vac at a
> yard sale, still in its original carton with the oiginal mail order
> shipping label intact. The seller mentioned that no one was interested
> since it was for dry pick-up only and he was happy to get five bucks
> from me for it.
> Following my standard practice of installing an adapted thrift store
> vacuum filter bag over the cloth filter, I noticed that the mechanism
> was date stamped August xx, 1971 (I don't recall the exact date)!
> This Vacuum has been parked in the laundry area for the last ten years
> where it is used to clean the dryer lint trap, debis from puppy
> haircuts, people haircts beard trims along with general worshop
> cleanup as well as a couple vehicles.
> Second son says "that shopvac really sucks!"

What I like about this one is the size . It will fit under the lathe
when I'm not using it . This one is a 3 gallon , I almost got the 1 1/2
gal unit but the box was pretty beat up and it was the last one they had
.. I'm glad I got the bigger one . We have a big shopvac , but it's a
pain in the ass to get out to the shop , and I just don't need that much
capacity or power .
--
Snag
“Free speech is my right to say what you don’t
want to hear.” -George Orwell

Re: Chip cleanup

<th7emh$l0c$1@reader2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6510&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6510

From: prese...@MUNGEpanix.com (Cydrome Leader)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 19:05:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Cydrome Leader - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 19:05 UTC

Snag <Snag_one@msn.com> wrote:
> I've always hated cleaning up the chips and occasional long spirals
> after/during doing a project . Today I picked up a 3 gallon "shop vac"
> unit at WallyWorld , around 36 bucks , for just that task . My machines
> are going to have a lot less chips layin' around now . It's really cool
> how all the chips go right to the bottom , and the bigger stuff that
> might clog the hose (I'm using the "crevice tool" to limit size) will
> collect on the end of the tool to be easily removed and dropped in the
> trash container . Definitely worth the price for me . YMMV .

Amazing. This guy discovered a vacuum cleaner.

Re: Chip cleanup

<th7hg0$13cnh$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6511&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6511

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 14:53:39 -0500
 by: Snag - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 19:53 UTC

On 9/30/2022 2:05 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
> Snag <Snag_one@msn.com> wrote:
>> I've always hated cleaning up the chips and occasional long spirals
>> after/during doing a project . Today I picked up a 3 gallon "shop vac"
>> unit at WallyWorld , around 36 bucks , for just that task . My machines
>> are going to have a lot less chips layin' around now . It's really cool
>> how all the chips go right to the bottom , and the bigger stuff that
>> might clog the hose (I'm using the "crevice tool" to limit size) will
>> collect on the end of the tool to be easily removed and dropped in the
>> trash container . Definitely worth the price for me . YMMV .
>
> Amazing. This guy discovered a vacuum cleaner.

And now I feel so fuckin' special ! But you're still an asshole .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts