Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 16:42:04 -0800
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: eastside...@gmail.com (erik simpson)
Subject: An old fake fossil
 by: erik simpson - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 00:42 UTC

Tridentinosaurus antiquus (1931) from early Permian in the Alps has now
been discovered not to represent remarkable soft-tissue preservation,
but is mainly painted. However, under the paint there are a few poorly
preserved bones, so it is, in a fossil. The new paper concludes with

"Modern tomographic methods might reveal novel information about the
preserved skeleton but, until then, we suggest caution in using T.
antiquus in phylogenetic studies." "Caution" is the word for it.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/pala.12690

Re: An old fake fossil

<UtidnUV9Pvdij034nZ2dnZfqlJ9j4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6281&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6281

Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 17:59:27 -0800
Subject: Re: An old fake fossil
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: john.har...@gmail.com (John Harshman)
 by: John Harshman - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 01:59 UTC

On 2/16/24 4:42 PM, erik simpson wrote:
> Tridentinosaurus antiquus (1931) from early Permian in the Alps has now
> been discovered not to represent remarkable soft-tissue preservation,
> but is mainly painted.  However, under the paint there are a few poorly
> preserved bones, so it is, in a fossil.  The new paper concludes with
>
> "Modern tomographic methods might reveal novel information about the
> preserved skeleton but, until then, we suggest caution in using T.
> antiquus in phylogenetic studies."  "Caution" is the word for it.
>

> https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/pala.12690

Now that's bizarre. I wonder if the forger's identity could be discovered.

Re: An old fake fossil

<8b02d6d6-1725-49fd-8dc5-a46150b32700@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6282&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6282

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 08:37:08 -0800
To: "sci.bio.paleontology" <sci.bio.paleontology@google.groups.com>
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: eastside...@gmail.com (erik simpson)
 by: erik simpson - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 16:37 UTC

On 2/16/24 5:59 PM, John Harshman wrote:
> On 2/16/24 4:42 PM, erik simpson wrote:
>> Tridentinosaurus antiquus (1931) from early Permian in the Alps has
>> now been discovered not to represent remarkable soft-tissue
>> preservation, but is mainly painted.  However, under the paint there
>> are a few poorly preserved bones, so it is, in a fossil.  The new
>> paper concludes with
>>
>> "Modern tomographic methods might reveal novel information about the
>> preserved skeleton but, until then, we suggest caution in using T.
>> antiquus in phylogenetic studies."  "Caution" is the word for it.
>>

>> https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/pala.12690
>
> Now that's bizarre. I wonder if the forger's identity could be discovered.

I tried Wiki, but there isn't an entry (yet). I expect there will be
one before long. But I did a little searching, and came across the very
relevant gem:

https://pterosaurheresies.wordpress.com/2016/06/10/tridentinosaurus-antiquus-a-glider-ancestor-not-a-protorosaur/

Re: An old fake fossil

<KN6dna0WXpgyYU34nZ2dnZfqlJxj4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6283&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6283

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 10:36:31 -0800
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: john.har...@gmail.com (John Harshman)
 by: John Harshman - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 18:36 UTC

On 2/17/24 8:37 AM, erik simpson wrote:
> On 2/16/24 5:59 PM, John Harshman wrote:
>> On 2/16/24 4:42 PM, erik simpson wrote:
>>> Tridentinosaurus antiquus (1931) from early Permian in the Alps has
>>> now been discovered not to represent remarkable soft-tissue
>>> preservation, but is mainly painted.  However, under the paint there
>>> are a few poorly preserved bones, so it is, in a fossil.  The new
>>> paper concludes with
>>>
>>> "Modern tomographic methods might reveal novel information about the
>>> preserved skeleton but, until then, we suggest caution in using T.
>>> antiquus in phylogenetic studies."  "Caution" is the word for it.
>>>

>>> https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/pala.12690
>>
>> Now that's bizarre. I wonder if the forger's identity could be
>> discovered.
>
> I tried Wiki, but there isn't an entry (yet).  I expect there will be
> one before long.  But I did a little searching, and came across the very
> relevant gem:
>
> https://pterosaurheresies.wordpress.com/2016/06/10/tridentinosaurus-antiquus-a-glider-ancestor-not-a-protorosaur/

Let's not bring Peters into it, though all his fakes are apparently
sincerely intended. Is digital paint better than physical paint?

Re: An old fake fossil

<192229fa-be70-4f8e-88c7-0976ab925fd1@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6284&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6284

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 11:22:07 -0800
To: "sci.bio.paleontology" <sci.bio.paleontology@google.groups.com>
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: eastside...@gmail.com (erik simpson)
 by: erik simpson - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 19:22 UTC

On 2/17/24 10:36 AM, John Harshman wrote:
> On 2/17/24 8:37 AM, erik simpson wrote:

>>> Now that's bizarre. I wonder if the forger's identity could be
>>> discovered.
>>
>> I tried Wiki, but there isn't an entry (yet).  I expect there will be
>> one before long.  But I did a little searching, and came across the
>> very relevant gem:
>>
>> https://pterosaurheresies.wordpress.com/2016/06/10/tridentinosaurus-antiquus-a-glider-ancestor-not-a-protorosaur/
>
> Let's not bring Peters into it, though all his fakes are apparently
> sincerely intended. Is digital paint better than physical paint?
I'd guess that physical paint is easier to spot than good digital
"paint". Misused AI ought to carry the scientific death penalty.

Re: An old fake fossil

<VeqdnYWLo6WAwUz4nZ2dnZfqlJxj4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6285&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6285

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 17:23:41 -0800
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: john.har...@gmail.com (John Harshman)
 by: John Harshman - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 01:23 UTC

On 2/17/24 11:22 AM, erik simpson wrote:
> On 2/17/24 10:36 AM, John Harshman wrote:

>>> I tried Wiki, but there isn't an entry (yet).  I expect there will be
>>> one before long.  But I did a little searching, and came across the
>>> very relevant gem:
>>>
>>> https://pterosaurheresies.wordpress.com/2016/06/10/tridentinosaurus-antiquus-a-glider-ancestor-not-a-protorosaur/
>>
>> Let's not bring Peters into it, though all his fakes are apparently
>> sincerely intended. Is digital paint better than physical paint?
> I'd guess that physical paint is easier to spot than good digital
> "paint".  Misused AI ought to carry the scientific death penalty.

I suppose you've seen this by now:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/4a389b/ai-midjourney-rat-penis-study-retracted-frontiers

Re: An old fake fossil

<ur0u2a$j3j$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6286&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6286

From: rain...@colition.gov (Popping Mad)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 20:08:03 -0500
 by: Popping Mad - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 01:08 UTC

On 2/17/24 14:22, erik simpson wrote:
> On 2/17/24 10:36 AM, John Harshman wrote:

>>> I tried Wiki, but there isn't an entry (yet).  I expect there will be
>>> one before long.  But I did a little searching, and came across the
>>> very relevant gem:
>>>
>>> https://pterosaurheresies.wordpress.com/2016/06/10/tridentinosaurus-antiquus-a-glider-ancestor-not-a-protorosaur/
>>
>> Let's not bring Peters into it, though all his fakes are apparently
>> sincerely intended. Is digital paint better than physical paint?
> I'd guess that physical paint is easier to spot than good digital
> "paint".  Misused AI ought to carry the scientific death penalty.

Thet Teyler museum has a whole exhibit on this...