We don't know one millionth of one percent about anything.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Safety of helmet that has been in crashes but not broken

SubjectAuthor
* Safety of helmet that has been in crashes but not brokenKenneth Litwak
+- Re: Safety of helmet that has been in crashes but not brokenTom Kunich
+- Re: Safety of helmet that has been in crashes but not brokenrussellseaton1@yahoo.com
+- Re: Safety of helmet that has been in crashes but not brokenJohn B.
+* Re: Safety of helmet that has been in crashes but not brokenFrank Krygowski
|`- Re: Safety of helmet that has been in crashes but not brokenKenneth Litwak
+- Re: Safety of helmet that has been in crashes but not brokensms
`* Re: Safety of helmet that has been in crashes but not brokenJoy Beeson
 `- Re: Safety of helmet that has been in crashes but not brokenTom Kunich

1
Safety of helmet that has been in crashes but not broken

<f68891b1-bc38-486a-ac58-06534b7bec5en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63077&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63077

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 13:23:31 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Safety of helmet that has been in crashes but not broken
From: kennethd...@gmail.com (Kenneth Litwak)
 by: Kenneth Litwak - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 20:23 UTC

I've been thinking for a while that i should replace my Rudy Project bike helmet. I've had multiple crashes and the helmet has hit the deck. However, while it has scratches and scuff marks, it is not broken that I can see. Long ago, I read that after a crash, even if a helmet looks okey, it should be replaced. However, since technology has moved forward, is it okay to keep it or is it best to replace? I'm not looking for a $300 ultra-light helmet.. I want one that is not heavy but safety for my brain is more important. I'm considering buying a Bontrager Quantum MIPS Bike Helmet , though I'm not committed to that brand. On sale for $78.99, however, is appealing.

The features include this: Complies with U.S. CPSC Safety Standard f. Is that meaningful? I used to see ANSI standard but my understanding is that this level of safety was not really adequate.

Anyway, do I need to replace my helmet? Thanks.

Re: Safety of helmet that has been in crashes but not broken

<abe4b0dc-7db7-4b25-bfc3-1fe78e76e116n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63083&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63083

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 14:11:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 21:11 UTC

On Monday, September 5, 2022 at 1:23:32 PM UTC-7, kenneth...@gmail.com wrote:
> I've been thinking for a while that i should replace my Rudy Project bike helmet. I've had multiple crashes and the helmet has hit the deck. However, while it has scratches and scuff marks, it is not broken that I can see. Long ago, I read that after a crash, even if a helmet looks okey, it should be replaced. However, since technology has moved forward, is it okay to keep it or is it best to replace? I'm not looking for a $300 ultra-light helmet. I want one that is not heavy but safety for my brain is more important. I'm considering buying a Bontrager Quantum MIPS Bike Helmet , though I'm not committed to that brand. On sale for $78.99, however, is appealing.
>
> The features include this: Complies with U.S. CPSC Safety Standard f. Is that meaningful? I used to see ANSI standard but my understanding is that this level of safety was not really adequate.
>
> Anyway, do I need to replace my helmet? Thanks.
Styrofoam has not changed and Rudy Project helmets can have a lot of damage to the foam that isn't visible. The latest Bontrager Wave Cell helmets have a great many improvements. And they appear to recover after a pretty hard blow.

Re: Safety of helmet that has been in crashes but not broken

<017eaa2c-442a-4a12-a9c1-fbc24fae2128n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63090&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63090

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 14:59:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 21:59 UTC

On Monday, September 5, 2022 at 3:23:32 PM UTC-5, kenneth...@gmail.com wrote:
> I've been thinking for a while that i should replace my Rudy Project bike helmet. I've had multiple crashes and the helmet has hit the deck. However, while it has scratches and scuff marks, it is not broken that I can see. Long ago, I read that after a crash, even if a helmet looks okey, it should be replaced. However, since technology has moved forward, is it okay to keep it or is it best to replace? I'm not looking for a $300 ultra-light helmet. I want one that is not heavy but safety for my brain is more important. I'm considering buying a Bontrager Quantum MIPS Bike Helmet , though I'm not committed to that brand. On sale for $78.99, however, is appealing.
>
> The features include this: Complies with U.S. CPSC Safety Standard f. Is that meaningful? I used to see ANSI standard but my understanding is that this level of safety was not really adequate.
>
> Anyway, do I need to replace my helmet? Thanks.

The standard mantra is to replace a helmet after a crash. I think that applies to bicycles and motorcycles too. For obvious damage, makes sense. For unseen damage? Or no damage? Maybe just a marketing spiel to sell more helmets. But if your helmet is 5, 10, 15 years old, does it really hurt to get a new, clean, not sweat filled, stinky, helmet? Probably not. So get one. I'm pretty sure most or all safety devices sold in the USA have to meet some minimum standard. If its marked that way, then its OK.

As for which model to get, always buy the exact same model you already have.. Or at least same brand. That way you know it will fit correctly. Helmets and heads are shaped differently. Round, oval, oblong, squarish, etc. You want the helmet shape to fit your head shape. And if your current helmet fits your head correctly, then the next will too. Just like with pants and shoes. Once you find a brand that fits you right, stay with it. Don't take a chance on another brand that doesn't fit right.

Re: Safety of helmet that has been in crashes but not broken

<kruchh9dbbq592evj7hchn66i1hr8eg7sj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63092&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63092

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2022 05:46:24 +0700
 by: John B. - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 22:46 UTC

On Mon, 5 Sep 2022 13:23:31 -0700 (PDT), Kenneth Litwak
<kennethdlitwak@gmail.com> wrote:

>I've been thinking for a while that i should replace my Rudy Project bike helmet. I've had multiple crashes and the helmet has hit the deck. However, while it has scratches and scuff marks, it is not broken that I can see. Long ago, I read that after a crash, even if a helmet looks okey, it should be replaced. However, since technology has moved forward, is it okay to keep it or is it best to replace? I'm not looking for a $300 ultra-light helmet. I want one that is not heavy but safety for my brain is more important. I'm considering buying a Bontrager Quantum MIPS Bike Helmet , though I'm not committed to that brand. On sale for $78.99, however, is appealing.
>
> The features include this: Complies with U.S. CPSC Safety Standard f. Is that meaningful? I used to see ANSI standard but my understanding is that this level of safety was not really adequate.
>
>Anyway, do I need to replace my helmet? Thanks.

Re bicycle helmet standards see
https://www.helmets.org/standard.htm
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Safety of helmet that has been in crashes but not broken

<tf65dr$3n8b5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63112&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63112

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 20:48:58 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 00:48 UTC

On 9/5/2022 4:23 PM, Kenneth Litwak wrote:
> I've been thinking for a while that i should replace my Rudy Project bike helmet. I've had multiple crashes and the helmet has hit the deck. However, while it has scratches and scuff marks, it is not broken that I can see. Long ago, I read that after a crash, even if a helmet looks okey, it should be replaced. However, since technology has moved forward, is it okay to keep it or is it best to replace? I'm not looking for a $300 ultra-light helmet. I want one that is not heavy but safety for my brain is more important. I'm considering buying a Bontrager Quantum MIPS Bike Helmet , though I'm not committed to that brand. On sale for $78.99, however, is appealing.
>
> The features include this: Complies with U.S. CPSC Safety Standard f. Is that meaningful? I used to see ANSI standard but my understanding is that this level of safety was not really adequate.
>
> Anyway, do I need to replace my helmet? Thanks.

Every helmet manufacturer will tell you that yes, you must replace your
helmet immediately and never use it again.

Of course, they'll also tell you you must never, ever ride without
wearing a helmet. Not even a slow ride on smooth pavement with zero
traffic. Not even in your own driveway.

And the stickers inside will tell you that whatever new helmet you buy
may not protect you at all. People here have heard about my friend who
died recently by toppling over while stationary. His helmet did not
protect him in a zero speed fall.

I wear a cycling cap instead, or no cap at all. I'd say your decision is
entirely up to you.

But don't feel protected. Ride as if you were bareheaded.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Safety of helmet that has been in crashes but not broken

<b3f210b6-08eb-49fb-9013-8fffcc481b48n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63123&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63123

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 22:10:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: kennethd...@gmail.com (Kenneth Litwak)
 by: Kenneth Litwak - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 05:10 UTC

Thanks, everyone, for your help.

Ken

On Monday, September 5, 2022 at 5:49:02 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 9/5/2022 4:23 PM, Kenneth Litwak wrote:
> > I've been thinking for a while that i should replace my Rudy Project bike helmet. I've had multiple crashes and the helmet has hit the deck. However, while it has scratches and scuff marks, it is not broken that I can see.. Long ago, I read that after a crash, even if a helmet looks okey, it should be replaced. However, since technology has moved forward, is it okay to keep it or is it best to replace? I'm not looking for a $300 ultra-light helmet. I want one that is not heavy but safety for my brain is more important. I'm considering buying a Bontrager Quantum MIPS Bike Helmet , though I'm not committed to that brand. On sale for $78.99, however, is appealing.
> >
> > The features include this: Complies with U.S. CPSC Safety Standard f. Is that meaningful? I used to see ANSI standard but my understanding is that this level of safety was not really adequate.
> >
> > Anyway, do I need to replace my helmet? Thanks.
> Every helmet manufacturer will tell you that yes, you must replace your
> helmet immediately and never use it again.
>
> Of course, they'll also tell you you must never, ever ride without
> wearing a helmet. Not even a slow ride on smooth pavement with zero
> traffic. Not even in your own driveway.
>
> And the stickers inside will tell you that whatever new helmet you buy
> may not protect you at all. People here have heard about my friend who
> died recently by toppling over while stationary. His helmet did not
> protect him in a zero speed fall.
>
> I wear a cycling cap instead, or no cap at all. I'd say your decision is
> entirely up to you.
>
> But don't feel protected. Ride as if you were bareheaded.
>
> --
> - Frank Krygowski

Re: Safety of helmet that has been in crashes but not broken

<tf7mgi$3u80k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63127&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63127

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 07:46:39 -0700
 by: sms - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 14:46 UTC

On 9/5/2022 1:23 PM, Kenneth Litwak wrote:
> I've been thinking for a while that i should replace my Rudy Project bike helmet. I've had multiple crashes and the helmet has hit the deck. However, while it has scratches and scuff marks, it is not broken that I can see. Long ago, I read that after a crash, even if a helmet looks okey, it should be replaced. However, since technology has moved forward, is it okay to keep it or is it best to replace? I'm not looking for a $300 ultra-light helmet. I want one that is not heavy but safety for my brain is more important. I'm considering buying a Bontrager Quantum MIPS Bike Helmet , though I'm not committed to that brand. On sale for $78.99, however, is appealing.
>
> The features include this: Complies with U.S. CPSC Safety Standard f. Is that meaningful? I used to see ANSI standard but my understanding is that this level of safety was not really adequate.
>
> Anyway, do I need to replace my helmet? Thanks.

Yes.

You can buy MIPS helmets for as little as $30 now. Just avoid Wave Cell
helmets:
<https://cyclingtips.com/2019/05/wavecel-vs-mips-virginia-tech-safety-test-rankings/>.
And whatever you do, don't listen to our resident anti-data/anti-science
anti-helmet troll!

Re: Safety of helmet that has been in crashes but not broken

<epvihh9mdspk1r3d6sbpqlphhhsjvhqucv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63233&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63233

From: jbee...@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2022 01:40:25 -0400
 by: Joy Beeson - Thu, 8 Sep 2022 05:40 UTC

On Mon, 5 Sep 2022 13:23:31 -0700 (PDT), Kenneth Litwak
<kennethdlitwak@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyway, do I need to replace my helmet?

Your current helmet serves its primary purpose of protecting you
against ignorance.

When a motorist playing "scare the cyclist" misjudges, he will tell
the police that you mysteriously swerved into his path. The police
have an overwhelming preference for taking testimony from people who
are able to talk, so that is what will go into the report.

If the report is questioned, the defense attorney will say "he wasn't
wearing a helmet; that proves that he swerved recklessly," and the
jury will buy it.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net

Re: Safety of helmet that has been in crashes but not broken

<292b3d6c-6998-43bc-ba57-aa3c2e4e23b9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63255&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63255

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2022 11:55:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 8 Sep 2022 18:55 UTC

On Wednesday, September 7, 2022 at 10:40:30 PM UTC-7, Joy Beeson wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Sep 2022 13:23:31 -0700 (PDT), Kenneth Litwak
> <kenneth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Anyway, do I need to replace my helmet?
> Your current helmet serves its primary purpose of protecting you
> against ignorance.
>
> When a motorist playing "scare the cyclist" misjudges, he will tell
> the police that you mysteriously swerved into his path. The police
> have an overwhelming preference for taking testimony from people who
> are able to talk, so that is what will go into the report.
>
> If the report is questioned, the defense attorney will say "he wasn't
> wearing a helmet; that proves that he swerved recklessly," and the
> jury will buy it.

I guess that makes Frank a dead man walking.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Safety of helmet that has been in crashes but not broken