A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems. -- P. Erdos

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Cinelli XA stem and Cinelli bars.

SubjectAuthor
* Cinelli XA stem and Cinelli bars.Tom Kunich
`- Re: Cinelli XA stem and Cinelli bars.russellseaton1@yahoo.com

1
Cinelli XA stem and Cinelli bars.

<76320a73-088c-46ee-bed4-4dc005f970edn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63260&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63260

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2022 12:35:03 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Cinelli XA stem and Cinelli bars.
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 8 Sep 2022 19:35 UTC

These things worked perfectly. They went right together and didn't require over-tightening to be more than tight enough. The levers pushed on but were not loose and it didn't take a great deal of tightening of the Torx T-25 to make them more than tight enough.

I also put another XA stem on the Basso and installed the Cinelli bars. While I was at it I also changed out that single pivot rear brake and installed the double pivot.

I find it strange that everyone seems to be buying 12 speed Campy but they don't want a cheap rear derailleur that was only bought to test if it would work with 11 speeds (it won't). I have a suspicion that you could partially disassemble the 12 speed and make an 11 speed out of it but I have no intentions of trying.

A lot of these carbon saddles have carbon rails. The rails are increased from 7 mm round to 7 mm x 10 mm They are microscopically lighter and a lot of seatposts won't allow you to use them properly. One type has a screw and pin connector and if you open the screw enough for the deeper rail the screw gets angular forces against it and can break. If you have the single screw Bontrager type you have to buy the connecting components separately from the ones that come on the bar.

As I say, the weight differential is tiny and the deep rail has less give in it and that makes for saddle sores.

I don't particularly like buying saddles from China but when they are exactly the same as the American supplied part and cost 12 1/2% as much I am certainly not going to complain. And Chinese companies like Took are reliable and trustworthy. My brother had his Trek superlight saddle break every year but in 15 years I haven't had a carbon saddle from China break.

The Aliverti is due any day now and if I sell either one of my other aluminum bikes I will have room to build it in the garage and not the computer room.

The Basso is waiting for a longer rear derailleur arm and setting up and I will be doing most of the rides on it because it has a bit more clearance (longer wheelbase) After the Aliverti is put together I will ride it for awhile to compare to the Moser and Basso. Speaking to my local mechanic he thinks that my guess about the bike being made by someone also subcontracting to De Rosa is probably accurate. He said that Aliverti wasn't a bike builder but had name recognition as a pro rider.

Re: Cinelli XA stem and Cinelli bars.

<54db1008-c3a0-4089-8cd0-a44a005ee256n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63310&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63310

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2022 22:05:56 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Cinelli XA stem and Cinelli bars.
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 05:05 UTC

On Thursday, September 8, 2022 at 2:35:05 PM UTC-5, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> These things worked perfectly. They went right together and didn't require over-tightening to be more than tight enough. The levers pushed on but were not loose and it didn't take a great deal of tightening of the Torx T-25 to make them more than tight enough.

Tommy, most of us that use bars and stems with the same diameter also "They went right together and didn't require over-tightening to be more than tight enough." It ain't rocket science. Assuming rocket science is complex. Maybe it isn't.

> I also put another XA stem on the Basso and installed the Cinelli bars. While I was at it I also changed out that single pivot rear brake and installed the double pivot.
>
> I find it strange that everyone seems to be buying 12 speed Campy but they don't want a cheap rear derailleur that was only bought to test if it would work with 11 speeds (it won't). I have a suspicion that you could partially disassemble the 12 speed and make an 11 speed out of it but I have no intentions of trying.
>
> A lot of these carbon saddles have carbon rails. The rails are increased from 7 mm round to 7 mm x 10 mm They are microscopically lighter and a lot of seatposts won't allow you to use them properly. One type has a screw and pin connector and if you open the screw enough for the deeper rail the screw gets angular forces against it and can break. If you have the single screw Bontrager type you have to buy the connecting components separately from the ones that come on the bar.
>
> As I say, the weight differential is tiny and the deep rail has less give in it and that makes for saddle sores.

Frank will have to check this for me. But I think even the best advertisers in BUYcycling magazine have not claimed that deep rails on carbon saddles or the round carbon rails make saddle sores. Tommy, you should sent this advertisement gem over to them and see if they will give you some royalty money for using it.

> I don't particularly like buying saddles from China but when they are exactly the same as the American supplied part and cost 12 1/2% as much I am certainly not going to complain. And Chinese companies like Took are reliable and trustworthy.

Tommy, as a MAGA Trumper Republican, you should know that everything from China is reliable and trustworthy. And that is why we should endeavor to have the Chinese make as much stuff for us as possible. And transfer as many jobs as possible to China.