Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 12:55:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Rain?
From: deaconmj...@gmail.com (Mark Cleary)
 by: Mark Cleary - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 19:55 UTC

Today out for an attempted 4 mile run and it went ok. Then jump on bike for 25 more miles. I was misting and a little light rain. No thunder or lighting I am terrified of that stuff almost a phobia. Well I was already sweating so why not just ride in the rain? I did and it never got bad stopped and no real downpours.

What amazes me is those I know the cycle who do not ride in the rain. They get on the trainer. Now I can see that if it is pouring and windy but today was calm and just light drizzle. Frankly I will take that over a sunny windy day anytime. I don't get it these guys are serious cyclist. Why not go out.
Deacon mark

Re: Rain?

<tflf8m$218gh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63501&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63501

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Rain?
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 15:08:54 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 20:08 UTC

On 9/11/2022 2:55 PM, Mark Cleary wrote:
> Today out for an attempted 4 mile run and it went ok. Then jump on bike for 25 more miles. I was misting and a little light rain. No thunder or lighting I am terrified of that stuff almost a phobia. Well I was already sweating so why not just ride in the rain? I did and it never got bad stopped and no real downpours.
>
> What amazes me is those I know the cycle who do not ride in the rain. They get on the trainer. Now I can see that if it is pouring and windy but today was calm and just light drizzle. Frankly I will take that over a sunny windy day anytime. I don't get it these guys are serious cyclist. Why not go out.
> Deacon mark

+1
It's misting and light rain here as well but hey humans are
drip-dry!

Somewhere between you and me there are heavy storms and
flooding which will go on for several hours yet.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Re: Rain?

<e75d232f-dc94-4296-869d-25eabfd3ab67n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63505&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63505

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 13:45:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: frkry...@gmail.com (Frank Krygowski)
 by: Frank Krygowski - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 20:45 UTC

On Sunday, September 11, 2022 at 3:55:49 PM UTC-4, deaco...@gmail.com wrote:
> Today out for an attempted 4 mile run and it went ok. Then jump on bike for 25 more miles. I was misting and a little light rain. No thunder or lighting I am terrified of that stuff almost a phobia. Well I was already sweating so why not just ride in the rain? I did and it never got bad stopped and no real downpours.
>
> What amazes me is those I know the cycle who do not ride in the rain. They get on the trainer. Now I can see that if it is pouring and windy but today was calm and just light drizzle. Frankly I will take that over a sunny windy day anytime. I don't get it these guys are serious cyclist. Why not go out.

My normal policy for recreational rides is to skip it if it's actually raining. In my commuting days, it depended
on circumstances, but there were plenty of days I said "Well, it's not raining _now_" and headed in by bike.
On some of those days, it was raining well within three miles of leaving.

Of course, if I had to ride home from work, or if I were traveling by bike, I rode in the rain. That's one of
the reasons my bikes all have fenders.

I agree, very light rain is not much of a problem, although I don't appreciate the road spray by passing cars.

I remain a bit surprised that rain bothers us so much. After all, we evolved (or were created, your choice)
to live on a planet where rain happens pretty frequently. Why does it bother us so?

My guess at the moment is because it increases chances for hypothermia. But comments are welcome.
Hypothermia isn't much of a problem for cyclists moving above 10 mph. I was always moist with
perspiration when I arrived at work.

- Frank Krygowski

Re: Rain?

<1ijshh597daagkr178sggdrb5lr7ev6uf1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63512&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63512

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 17:09:10 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 21:09 UTC

On Sun, 11 Sep 2022 13:45:08 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
<frkrygow@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, September 11, 2022 at 3:55:49 PM UTC-4, deaco...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Today out for an attempted 4 mile run and it went ok. Then jump on bike for 25 more miles. I was misting and a little light rain. No thunder or lighting I am terrified of that stuff almost a phobia. Well I was already sweating so why not just ride in the rain? I did and it never got bad stopped and no real downpours.
>>
>> What amazes me is those I know the cycle who do not ride in the rain. They get on the trainer. Now I can see that if it is pouring and windy but today was calm and just light drizzle. Frankly I will take that over a sunny windy day anytime. I don't get it these guys are serious cyclist. Why not go out.
>>

>My normal policy for recreational rides is to skip it if it's actually raining. In my commuting days, it depended
>on circumstances, but there were plenty of days I said "Well, it's not raining _now_" and headed in by bike.
>On some of those days, it was raining well within three miles of leaving.
>
>Of course, if I had to ride home from work, or if I were traveling by bike, I rode in the rain. That's one of
>the reasons my bikes all have fenders.
>
>I agree, very light rain is not much of a problem, although I don't appreciate the road spray by passing cars.
>
>I remain a bit surprised that rain bothers us so much. After all, we evolved (or were created, your choice)
>to live on a planet where rain happens pretty frequently. Why does it bother us so?
>
>My guess at the moment is because it increases chances for hypothermia. But comments are welcome.
>Hypothermia isn't much of a problem for cyclists moving above 10 mph. I was always moist with
>perspiration when I arrived at work.
>
>- Frank Krygowski

Sometimes, here in Florida on a bike ride, I wish for rain.

Re: Rain?

<72385de0-28ba-459c-8ebf-c1142a55deb6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63513&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63513

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 14:09:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 21:09 UTC

On Sunday, September 11, 2022 at 9:55:49 PM UTC+2, deaco...@gmail.com wrote:
> Today out for an attempted 4 mile run and it went ok. Then jump on bike for 25 more miles. I was misting and a little light rain. No thunder or lighting I am terrified of that stuff almost a phobia. Well I was already sweating so why not just ride in the rain? I did and it never got bad stopped and no real downpours.
>
> What amazes me is those I know the cycle who do not ride in the rain. They get on the trainer. Now I can see that if it is pouring and windy but today was calm and just light drizzle. Frankly I will take that over a sunny windy day anytime. I don't get it these guys are serious cyclist. Why not go out.
> Deacon mark
After weeks of dry a warm weather I enjoyed the windy and rainy conditions last Friday and the fog this morning. I hate 30 + C temperatures and high humidity even more. I like the spring and autumn better than the summer.

Lou

Re: Rain?

<a31375fc-9563-4c55-b6a9-6e04a774d9a8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63514&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63514

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 14:23:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 21:23 UTC

On Sunday, September 11, 2022 at 2:09:32 PM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
> On Sunday, September 11, 2022 at 9:55:49 PM UTC+2, deaco...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Today out for an attempted 4 mile run and it went ok. Then jump on bike for 25 more miles. I was misting and a little light rain. No thunder or lighting I am terrified of that stuff almost a phobia. Well I was already sweating so why not just ride in the rain? I did and it never got bad stopped and no real downpours.
> >
> > What amazes me is those I know the cycle who do not ride in the rain. They get on the trainer. Now I can see that if it is pouring and windy but today was calm and just light drizzle. Frankly I will take that over a sunny windy day anytime. I don't get it these guys are serious cyclist. Why not go out.
> > Deacon mark
> After weeks of dry a warm weather I enjoyed the windy and rainy conditions last Friday and the fog this morning. I hate 30 + C temperatures and high humidity even more. I like the spring and autumn better than the summer.
For half the day it looked like it was going to rain but never got thick enough clouds. I did a 62 km ride with 566 meters of climbing. I have to admit that I stopped several times to let my heart rate come down to acceptable but by the end of the ride I was going good. On the way up Palomares Canyon, there was a dribble of water along the cliffside but the creek was totally dry. Going down the other side.

I thought that I was being careful but this steel bike gives me so much confidence that the Garmin tells me I hit 140 kph

Re: Rain?

<tflkha$21nsl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63520&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63520

From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 21:38:50 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:sVa8JRQ1GExcG7RyXgvk/wIlZwo=
 by: Roger Merriman - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 21:38 UTC

Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, September 11, 2022 at 3:55:49 PM UTC-4, deaco...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Today out for an attempted 4 mile run and it went ok. Then jump on bike
>> for 25 more miles. I was misting and a little light rain. No thunder or
>> lighting I am terrified of that stuff almost a phobia. Well I was
>> already sweating so why not just ride in the rain? I did and it never
>> got bad stopped and no real downpours.
>>
>> What amazes me is those I know the cycle who do not ride in the rain.
>> They get on the trainer. Now I can see that if it is pouring and windy
>> but today was calm and just light drizzle. Frankly I will take that over
>> a sunny windy day anytime. I don't get it these guys are serious cyclist. Why not go out.
>>

> My normal policy for recreational rides is to skip it if it's actually
> raining. In my commuting days, it depended
> on circumstances, but there were plenty of days I said "Well, it's not
> raining _now_" and headed in by bike.
> On some of those days, it was raining well within three miles of leaving.
>
> Of course, if I had to ride home from work, or if I were traveling by
> bike, I rode in the rain. That's one of
> the reasons my bikes all have fenders.

My commute bike has mudguards this said if it’s very wet, some of the few
roads I use/cross do flood so shoes can and do get wet if that happens.

But generally I commute if it’s wet or not, about the only thing I’m
cautious of is snow as the commute bike is so poor in it.

> I agree, very light rain is not much of a problem, although I don't
> appreciate the road spray by passing cars.

Generally not a issue for myself as well I’m using parks and cycleways for
most part.

A roadie ride into rain isn’t particularly pleasant though off road so MTB
or gravel is generally fine, somewhat harder going and you’d probably want
to give the higher hills a miss say.

> I remain a bit surprised that rain bothers us so much. After all, we
> evolved (or were created, your choice)
> to live on a planet where rain happens pretty frequently. Why does it bother us so?
>
> My guess at the moment is because it increases chances for hypothermia.
> But comments are welcome.
> Hypothermia isn't much of a problem for cyclists moving above 10 mph. I
> was always moist with
> perspiration when I arrived at work.

Even the Welsh hills which aren’t terribly high top out at 3k foot you can
cool quickly particularly with wind, I’ve certainly altered rides, with
friends where we’ve dropped a 1000ft and into less exposure areas as well
temperatures where falling, playing safe etc.

> - Frank Krygowski

Roger Merriman.

Re: Rain?

<oulshhhsar8tmmabo074ui7mc8c3q6uklm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63522&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63522

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 14:50:54 -0700
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 21:50 UTC

On Sun, 11 Sep 2022 14:23:28 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
<cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

>I thought that I was being careful but this steel bike gives me so much confidence that the Garmin tells me I hit 140 kph

140 km/hr = 87 miles/hr
I don't think so.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

Re: Rain?

<tflqms$22962$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63541&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63541

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 18:24:11 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 23:24 UTC

On 9/11/2022 4:23 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Sunday, September 11, 2022 at 2:09:32 PM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
>> On Sunday, September 11, 2022 at 9:55:49 PM UTC+2, deaco...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Today out for an attempted 4 mile run and it went ok. Then jump on bike for 25 more miles. I was misting and a little light rain. No thunder or lighting I am terrified of that stuff almost a phobia. Well I was already sweating so why not just ride in the rain? I did and it never got bad stopped and no real downpours.
>>>
>>> What amazes me is those I know the cycle who do not ride in the rain. They get on the trainer. Now I can see that if it is pouring and windy but today was calm and just light drizzle. Frankly I will take that over a sunny windy day anytime. I don't get it these guys are serious cyclist. Why not go out.
>>> Deacon mark
>> After weeks of dry a warm weather I enjoyed the windy and rainy conditions last Friday and the fog this morning. I hate 30 + C temperatures and high humidity even more. I like the spring and autumn better than the summer.
> For half the day it looked like it was going to rain but never got thick enough clouds. I did a 62 km ride with 566 meters of climbing. I have to admit that I stopped several times to let my heart rate come down to acceptable but by the end of the ride I was going good. On the way up Palomares Canyon, there was a dribble of water along the cliffside but the creek was totally dry. Going down the other side.
>
> I thought that I was being careful but this steel bike gives me so much confidence that the Garmin tells me I hit 140 kph

Typo?

147 km is 87 miles.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Rain?

<tflt40$1486$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63553&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63553

From: ral...@invalid.com (Ralph Barone)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 00:05:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ralph Barone - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 00:05 UTC

AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
> On 9/11/2022 4:23 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

>>> After weeks of dry a warm weather I enjoyed the windy and rainy
>>> conditions last Friday and the fog this morning. I hate 30 + C
>>> temperatures and high humidity even more. I like the spring and autumn
>>> better than the summer.
>> For half the day it looked like it was going to rain but never got thick
>> enough clouds. I did a 62 km ride with 566 meters of climbing. I have to
>> admit that I stopped several times to let my heart rate come down to
>> acceptable but by the end of the ride I was going good. On the way up
>> Palomares Canyon, there was a dribble of water along the cliffside but
>> the creek was totally dry. Going down the other side.
>>
>> I thought that I was being careful but this steel bike gives me so much
>> confidence that the Garmin tells me I hit 140 kph
>>

> Typo?
>
> 147 km is 87 miles.

Bikecalculator.com says that at 2500W rider output down a 25% grade, speed
is 137 km/ hr. If I try to enter a gradient greater than -25% or power
above 2500 W, the calculator starts doing weird shit.

Re: Rain?

<56ushh5ph145jv3htde9hro3s1mjq9jag0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63555&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63555

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 17:12:34 -0700
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 00:12 UTC

On Sun, 11 Sep 2022 18:24:11 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 9/11/2022 4:23 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

>>> After weeks of dry a warm weather I enjoyed the windy and rainy conditions last Friday and the fog this morning. I hate 30 + C temperatures and high humidity even more. I like the spring and autumn better than the summer.
>> For half the day it looked like it was going to rain but never got thick enough clouds. I did a 62 km ride with 566 meters of climbing. I have to admit that I stopped several times to let my heart rate come down to acceptable but by the end of the ride I was going good. On the way up Palomares Canyon, there was a dribble of water along the cliffside but the creek was totally dry. Going down the other side.
>>
>> I thought that I was being careful but this steel bike gives me so much confidence that the Garmin tells me I hit 140 kph

>Typo?
>147 km is 87 miles.

Max Speed error
<https://forums.garmin.com/apps-software/mobile-apps-web/f/garmin-connect-web/52217/max-speed-error>
"Every once in a while I'll get a top speed from my downloaded data
that is incredibly high. For example: I spent five hours on mountain
trails Friday at an average speed of about 6 miles an hour. Max speed
reported was 82 mph!"

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Re: Rain?

<7050b276-0816-4a3f-b710-8f16dd91df58n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63574&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63574

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 19:40:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 02:40 UTC

On Sunday, September 11, 2022 at 7:05:22 PM UTC-5, Ralph Barone wrote:
> AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

> >> For half the day it looked like it was going to rain but never got thick
> >> enough clouds. I did a 62 km ride with 566 meters of climbing. I have to
> >> admit that I stopped several times to let my heart rate come down to
> >> acceptable but by the end of the ride I was going good. On the way up
> >> Palomares Canyon, there was a dribble of water along the cliffside but
> >> the creek was totally dry. Going down the other side.
> >>
> >> I thought that I was being careful but this steel bike gives me so much
> >> confidence that the Garmin tells me I hit 140 kph
> >>

> > Typo?
> >
> > 147 km is 87 miles.
> >
> Bikecalculator.com says that at 2500W rider output down a 25% grade, speed
> is 137 km/ hr. If I try to enter a gradient greater than -25% or power
> above 2500 W, the calculator starts doing weird shit.

2500 watts is 3.35 horsepower. Can human beings even generate that much power?

Re: Rain?

<tfm7n4$25v94$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63577&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63577

From: wNOSP...@gmail.org (pH)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 03:06:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: pH - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 03:06 UTC

<snip>

>> Bikecalculator.com says that at 2500W rider output down a 25% grade, speed
>> is 137 km/ hr. If I try to enter a gradient greater than -25% or power
>> above 2500 W, the calculator starts doing weird shit.
>
> 2500 watts is 3.35 horsepower. Can human beings even generate that much power?

I've always heard (from Homepower magazine and the like), that a standard
man is capable of about 0.25 horsepower.

0.25 horsepower x 741 watts/horsepower = (about) 185 watts.

There were often letters to the editor in Home Power saying "Why can't I
pedal my bike w/ a generator to recharge my batteries?"

They soon left with a whole new appreciation for the power embodied in a
50W solar panel. (typically 3.4A at 17V--less when it 'locked' to a battery
voltage)

Today's panels are 300watts or more and 30V nominal or more...they attach in
series to controllers that can sell directLY back to the utility or
down-convert to the battery bank...typically 48V nowadays.

I have no idea the effect Lithium batteries have had...my knowledge is 20
years out of date!

pH in Aptos

Re: Rain?

<82dbfd63-a9fa-4af3-87d4-dab555cacd62n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63578&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63578

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 20:42:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: scientis...@gmail.com (AK)
 by: AK - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 03:42 UTC

On Sunday, September 11, 2022 at 2:55:49 PM UTC-5, deaco...@gmail.com wrote:
> Today out for an attempted 4 mile run and it went ok. Then jump on bike for 25 more miles. I was misting and a little light rain. No thunder or lighting I am terrified of that stuff almost a phobia. Well I was already sweating so why not just ride in the rain? I did and it never got bad stopped and no real downpours.
>
> What amazes me is those I know the cycle who do not ride in the rain. They get on the trainer. Now I can see that if it is pouring and windy but today was calm and just light drizzle. Frankly I will take that over a sunny windy day anytime. I don't get it these guys are serious cyclist. Why not go out.
> Deacon mark
This discussion of rain brings back some memories.

Where I live in Texas we have "Texas Gumbo" for our dirt.

I recall riding any bike as a kid thru wet gumbo that resulted in the bike immediately stopping due to the mud clogging up the tires.
Then the walk home until you got to a garden hose.

:-)

Andy

Re: Rain?

<d8athh9u4a7j3d1nieaev1pem798j7d9ah@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63579&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63579

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 10:45:41 +0700
 by: John B. - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 03:45 UTC

On Sun, 11 Sep 2022 19:40:13 -0700 (PDT), "russellseaton1@yahoo.com"
<ritzannaseaton@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, September 11, 2022 at 7:05:22 PM UTC-5, Ralph Barone wrote:
>> AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>> > Typo?
>> >
>> > 147 km is 87 miles.
>> >
>> Bikecalculator.com says that at 2500W rider output down a 25% grade, speed
>> is 137 km/ hr. If I try to enter a gradient greater than -25% or power
>> above 2500 W, the calculator starts doing weird shit.
>
>2500 watts is 3.35 horsepower. Can human beings even generate that much power?

Apparently they can. I read that Usain Bolt produced a maximum of 3.5
hp (2.6 kW) 0.89 seconds into his 9.58 second 100-metre (109.4 yd)
dash world record in 2009.
https://runningmagazine.ca/uncategorized/usain-bolt-power-output/
Max velocity ~45 km/h
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Rain?

<tfnb95$28k0i$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63623&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63623

From: new...@hartig-mantel.de (Rolf Mantel)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 15:13:09 +0200
 by: Rolf Mantel - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 13:13 UTC

Am 11.09.2022 um 23:09 schrieb Lou Holtman:
> On Sunday, September 11, 2022 at 9:55:49 PM UTC+2, deaco...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Today out for an attempted 4 mile run and it went ok. Then jump on bike for 25 more miles. I was misting and a little light rain. No thunder or lighting I am terrified of that stuff almost a phobia. Well I was already sweating so why not just ride in the rain? I did and it never got bad stopped and no real downpours.
>>
>> What amazes me is those I know the cycle who do not ride in the rain. They get on the trainer. Now I can see that if it is pouring and windy but today was calm and just light drizzle. Frankly I will take that over a sunny windy day anytime. I don't get it these guys are serious cyclist. Why not go out.
>> Deacon mark
> After weeks of dry a warm weather I enjoyed the windy and rainy conditions last Friday and the fog this morning. I hate 30 + C temperatures and high humidity even more. I like the spring and autumn better than the summer.

Finally, the end of the heat wave (Friday was the first day I felt
uncomfortable in the office in t-shirt and shorts)!
The weather forecast is predicting more than an inch of rain all over
Germany during the current week, with the center parts getting 2 inches.

Re: Rain?

<tfnf86$11rv$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63635&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63635

From: ral...@invalid.com (Ralph Barone)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 14:20:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ralph Barone - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 14:20 UTC

russellseaton1@yahoo.com <ritzannaseaton@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, September 11, 2022 at 7:05:22 PM UTC-5, Ralph Barone wrote:
>> AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>>> Typo?
>>>
>>> 147 km is 87 miles.
>>>
>> Bikecalculator.com says that at 2500W rider output down a 25% grade, speed
>> is 137 km/ hr. If I try to enter a gradient greater than -25% or power
>> above 2500 W, the calculator starts doing weird shit.
>
> 2500 watts is 3.35 horsepower. Can human beings even generate that much power?

No. At least not for the amount of time it would take to accelerate to 140
km/hr.

Re: Rain?

<f28edf0b-d0fc-44cd-94ea-70f203702178n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63645&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63645

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 08:03:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: frkry...@gmail.com (Frank Krygowski)
 by: Frank Krygowski - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 15:03 UTC

On Monday, September 12, 2022 at 10:20:56 AM UTC-4, Ralph Barone wrote:
> russell...@yahoo.com <ritzann...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > 2500 watts is 3.35 horsepower. Can human beings even generate that much power?
> >
> No. At least not for the amount of time it would take to accelerate to 140
> km/hr.

Right. _Bicycling Science_ has some graphs of power capability vs. time. A strong human
might produce a couple horsepower for a couple seconds, but power potential falls very quickly
with time.

It's good to remember that 1 horsepower was never defined as the peak power output of a horse.
It was instead supposed to represent the long term power output of a draft horse walking in
circles for hours at a time to pump water out of mines. Mine owners wouldn't want to overwork
their horses into premature deaths.

- Frank Krygowski

Re: Rain?

<606ed508-9d09-46e2-b9e0-b6f9adebfd73n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63651&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63651

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 08:23:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 15:23 UTC

On Sunday, September 11, 2022 at 4:24:15 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
> On 9/11/2022 4:23 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

> >> After weeks of dry a warm weather I enjoyed the windy and rainy conditions last Friday and the fog this morning. I hate 30 + C temperatures and high humidity even more. I like the spring and autumn better than the summer..
> > For half the day it looked like it was going to rain but never got thick enough clouds. I did a 62 km ride with 566 meters of climbing. I have to admit that I stopped several times to let my heart rate come down to acceptable but by the end of the ride I was going good. On the way up Palomares Canyon, there was a dribble of water along the cliffside but the creek was totally dry. Going down the other side.
> >
> > I thought that I was being careful but this steel bike gives me so much confidence that the Garmin tells me I hit 140 kph
> >
> Typo?
>
> 147 km is 87 miles.

In some other place I printed the Garmin readout. This cannot be from a faulty sensor since it is checked against the GPS.

Re: Rain?

<c349459b-0953-4776-881f-2710a712b9ecn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63656&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63656

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 08:59:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 15:59 UTC

On Monday, September 12, 2022 at 7:20:56 AM UTC-7, Ralph Barone wrote:
> russell...@yahoo.com <ritzann...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Bikecalculator.com says that at 2500W rider output down a 25% grade, speed
> >> is 137 km/ hr. If I try to enter a gradient greater than -25% or power
> >> above 2500 W, the calculator starts doing weird shit.
> >
> > 2500 watts is 3.35 horsepower. Can human beings even generate that much power?
> >
> No. At least not for the amount of time it would take to accelerate to 140
> km/hr.
On the Garmin chart it appears to be a very long, climb and the top which is 12% at the top, dropping slowly away to 6% for a long way at the bottom. But the first half appears to be very sharply downhill. You are very welcome to disbelieve the Garmin reading since you weren't riding the bike. That speed discounting the aerodynamic drag and rolling resistance would be achieved in just three seconds of acceleration due to gravity. This drop is about a minute in total And then a 6% runoff over a mile or more. The old version 1 speed and cadence detectors used to show speed spikes so Garmin designed the version 2 sensors which stopped that.

Re: Rain?

<6a9e0dc3-741a-486d-8733-487e845e91e5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63660&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63660

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 09:24:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 16:24 UTC

On Monday, September 12, 2022 at 5:59:36 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Monday, September 12, 2022 at 7:20:56 AM UTC-7, Ralph Barone wrote:
> > russell...@yahoo.com <ritzann...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > 2500 watts is 3.35 horsepower. Can human beings even generate that much power?
> > >
> > No. At least not for the amount of time it would take to accelerate to 140
> > km/hr.
> On the Garmin chart it appears to be a very long, climb and the top which is 12% at the top, dropping slowly away to 6% for a long way at the bottom.. But the first half appears to be very sharply downhill. You are very welcome to disbelieve the Garmin reading since you weren't riding the bike. That speed discounting the aerodynamic drag and rolling resistance would be achieved in just three seconds of acceleration due to gravity. This drop is about a minute in total And then a 6% runoff over a mile or more. The old version 1 speed and cadence detectors used to show speed spikes so Garmin designed the version 2 sensors which stopped that.

You never went 140 km/hr, period.

Lou

Re: Rain?

<85ouhhdnai1d2n1hlrct1hitg25pn2i69d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63663&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63663

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 09:39:18 -0700
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 16:39 UTC

On Mon, 12 Sep 2022 08:23:27 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
<cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, September 11, 2022 at 4:24:15 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:

>> > For half the day it looked like it was going to rain but never got thick enough clouds. I did a 62 km ride with 566 meters of climbing. I have to admit that I stopped several times to let my heart rate come down to acceptable but by the end of the ride I was going good. On the way up Palomares Canyon, there was a dribble of water along the cliffside but the creek was totally dry. Going down the other side.
>> >
>> > I thought that I was being careful but this steel bike gives me so much confidence that the Garmin tells me I hit 140 kph
>> >
>> Typo?
>>
>> 147 km is 87 miles.
>
>In some other place I printed the Garmin readout. This cannot be from a faulty sensor since it is checked against the GPS.

Max Speed error
<https://forums.garmin.com/apps-software/mobile-apps-web/f/garmin-connect-web/52217/max-speed-error>
"Every once in a while I'll get a top speed from my downloaded data
that is incredibly high. For example: I spent five hours on mountain
trails Friday at an average speed of about 6 miles an hour. Max speed
reported was 82 mph!"

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Re: Rain?

<2608ee65-b7cb-4d16-86bf-5038f7cf5264n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63664&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63664

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 09:52:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 16:52 UTC

On Monday, September 12, 2022 at 9:24:23 AM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
> On Monday, September 12, 2022 at 5:59:36 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:

> > > No. At least not for the amount of time it would take to accelerate to 140
> > > km/hr.
> > On the Garmin chart it appears to be a very long, climb and the top which is 12% at the top, dropping slowly away to 6% for a long way at the bottom. But the first half appears to be very sharply downhill. You are very welcome to disbelieve the Garmin reading since you weren't riding the bike. That speed discounting the aerodynamic drag and rolling resistance would be achieved in just three seconds of acceleration due to gravity. This drop is about a minute in total And then a 6% runoff over a mile or more. The old version 1 speed and cadence detectors used to show speed spikes so Garmin designed the version 2 sensors which stopped that.
> You never went 140 km/hr, period.

Lou, you can believe anything you wish. I published the Garmin readings and they are measured by GPS time and distance. If you know a way that they can be mistaken then by all means tell us. I have no idea if you've ridden the Dutch Mountains or what sort of descents they have but they are very similar to height of the pass I made that reading on.

Re: Rain?

<9bdbb27f-030f-4365-826a-b5d9acf6cd85n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63675&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63675

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 10:59:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 17:59 UTC

On Monday, September 12, 2022 at 6:52:39 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Monday, September 12, 2022 at 9:24:23 AM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:

> > > On the Garmin chart it appears to be a very long, climb and the top which is 12% at the top, dropping slowly away to 6% for a long way at the bottom. But the first half appears to be very sharply downhill. You are very welcome to disbelieve the Garmin reading since you weren't riding the bike. That speed discounting the aerodynamic drag and rolling resistance would be achieved in just three seconds of acceleration due to gravity. This drop is about a minute in total And then a 6% runoff over a mile or more. The old version 1 speed and cadence detectors used to show speed spikes so Garmin designed the version 2 sensors which stopped that.
> > You never went 140 km/hr, period.
> Lou, you can believe anything you wish. I published the Garmin readings and they are measured by GPS time and distance. If you know a way that they can be mistaken then by all means tell us. I have no idea if you've ridden the Dutch Mountains or what sort of descents they have but they are very similar to height of the pass I made that reading on.

Tom, if you believe that you hit 140 km/hr because the Garmin said so then you don't have much feel for reality. Hitting 100 km/hr is extremely difficult on a descent.
Young colleague of mine said today that a bracket would deflect 0.020 mm when a force of 10 N would be applied because that was the outcome of his simulation. I said 'really?'. Let's do a sanity check. I pushed the same bracket with 10 N with a force gauge (a 10 sec test) and we could SEE it deflecting. Do you think that what you saw was 20 um? He still was not convinced but he promised me he would check his simulation. We will see what he come up with tomorrow. A sanity check has to be part of a computer simulation.

Lou

Re: Rain?

<tfo0bf$1hh2$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63682&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63682

From: ral...@invalid.com (Ralph Barone)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 19:12:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ralph Barone - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 19:12 UTC

Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Sep 2022 08:23:27 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
> <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Typo?
>>>
>>> 147 km is 87 miles.
>>
>> In some other place I printed the Garmin readout. This cannot be from a
>> faulty sensor since it is checked against the GPS.
>
> Max Speed error
> <https://forums.garmin.com/apps-software/mobile-apps-web/f/garmin-connect-web/52217/max-speed-error>
> "Every once in a while I'll get a top speed from my downloaded data
> that is incredibly high. For example: I spent five hours on mountain
> trails Friday at an average speed of about 6 miles an hour. Max speed
> reported was 82 mph!"

One day while riding to work, my Garmin threw in one sample in the middle
of the Pacific Ocean. Brought my average speed up to nearly the speed of
sound. Proud day…

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Rain?