What the gods would destroy they first submit to an IEEE standards committee.

tech / sci.electronics.design / Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impact ?

SubjectAuthor
* Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before theFred Bloggs
+- Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before thebitrex
+* Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before theBill Sloman
> [...]
|   `* Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impaDecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
|    +* Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before theBill Sloman
|    |`* Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before thebitrex
|    | `- Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impaBill Sloman
|    `- Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before thebitrex
+* Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impaDecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
|`* Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before theFred Bloggs
| `* Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before thebitrex
|  `- Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impaFred Bloggs
`* Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impaCursitor Doom
 `* Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before theFred Bloggs
  `* Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impaCursitor Doom
   `- Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impaDecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Pages:123
Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impact ?

<93ce066e-50f6-4c30-9912-dd9f57cb62ban@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63700&group=sci.electronics.design#63700

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 05:42:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the
chicxulub impact ?
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Sat, 22 May 2021 12:42 UTC

That thing came in like a death star, well within view in the sky a year before impact, taking forever to hit during that last week when it was really big..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZDmTBqLkLI

Frequency of occurrence of these kinds of events has just been increased x10.

"The calculations from Loeb and Siraj’s theory increase the chances of long-period comets impacting Earth by a factor of about 10, and show that about 20 percent of long-period comets become sun grazers. That finding falls in line with research from other astronomers."

New theory explains possible origin of plummeting Chicxulub impactor that struck off Mexico
https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2021/02/new-theory-behind-asteroid-that-killed-the-dinosaurs/

Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impact ?

<YX7qI.146484$D16.116758@fx40.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63702&group=sci.electronics.design#63702

chicxulub impact ?
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 09:47:37 -0400
 by: bitrex - Sat, 22 May 2021 13:47 UTC

On 5/22/2021 8:42 AM, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> That thing came in like a death star, well within view in the sky a year before impact, taking forever to hit during that last week when it was really big..
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZDmTBqLkLI
>
> Frequency of occurrence of these kinds of events has just been increased x10.
>
> "The calculations from Loeb and Siraj’s theory increase the chances of long-period comets impacting Earth by a factor of about 10, and show that about 20 percent of long-period comets become sun grazers. That finding falls in line with research from other astronomers."
>
> New theory explains possible origin of plummeting Chicxulub impactor that struck off Mexico
> https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2021/02/new-theory-behind-asteroid-that-killed-the-dinosaurs/

So it's mostly confirmed it was a long-period or rogue comet? The bulk
of near-Earth asteroids have been cataloged there doesn't seem to be
anything near that size out there, at least not anymore.

"In the book, she theorized that a massive comet from the Oort Cloud
could have been sprung from there by a plane of dark matter and sent
toward Earth, causing the catastrophe that devastated the dinosaurs."

Well, maybe the fairy godmother did it...

Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impact ?

<e03d078e-8a93-459b-bf39-71e657a0dacan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63703&group=sci.electronics.design#63703

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 06:50:57 -0700 (PDT)
chicxulub impact ?
From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Bill Sloman)
 by: Bill Sloman - Sat, 22 May 2021 13:50 UTC

On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 10:42:05 PM UTC+10, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> That thing came in like a death star, well within view in the sky a year before impact, taking forever to hit during that last week when it was really big..
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZDmTBqLkLI
>
> Frequency of occurrence of these kinds of events has just been increased x10.
>
> "The calculations from Loeb and Siraj’s theory increase the chances of long-period comets impacting Earth by a factor of about 10, and show that about 20 percent of long-period comets become sun grazers. That finding falls in line with research from other astronomers."
>
> New theory explains possible origin of plummeting Chicxulub impactor that struck off Mexico
> https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2021/02/new-theory-behind-asteroid-that-killed-the-dinosaurs/

Most of them seem to have been quite a bit smaller than the Chicxulub impactor, and correspondingly less destructive.

If we could see it a year in advance, presumably we could do something about changing it's orbit enough to get it to miss us - better surveillance could buy us even more time, and let us get away with giving it a smaller shove.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impact ?

<ek4iag1uombbcegdgmfen34e9tfqqm8qii@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63705&group=sci.electronics.design#63705

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impact ?
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 07:18:27 -0700
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Sat, 22 May 2021 14:18 UTC

On Sat, 22 May 2021 05:42:00 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
<bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

>That thing came in like a death star, well within view in the sky a year before impact, taking forever to hit during that last week when it was really big..
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZDmTBqLkLI
>
>Frequency of occurrence of these kinds of events has just been increased x10.

I blame global warming.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impact ?

<cc26dac1-6a50-4328-8eec-6362f0f7d12dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63706&group=sci.electronics.design#63706

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 07:32:37 -0700 (PDT)
chicxulub impact ?
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Sat, 22 May 2021 14:32 UTC

On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 9:51:02 AM UTC-4, Bill Sloman wrote:
> On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 10:42:05 PM UTC+10, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> > That thing came in like a death star, well within view in the sky a year before impact, taking forever to hit during that last week when it was really big..
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZDmTBqLkLI
> >
> > Frequency of occurrence of these kinds of events has just been increased x10.
> >
> > "The calculations from Loeb and Siraj’s theory increase the chances of long-period comets impacting Earth by a factor of about 10, and show that about 20 percent of long-period comets become sun grazers. That finding falls in line with research from other astronomers."
> >
> > New theory explains possible origin of plummeting Chicxulub impactor that struck off Mexico
> > https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2021/02/new-theory-behind-asteroid-that-killed-the-dinosaurs/
> Most of them seem to have been quite a bit smaller than the Chicxulub impactor, and correspondingly less destructive.
>
> If we could see it a year in advance, presumably we could do something about changing it's orbit enough to get it to miss us - better surveillance could buy us even more time, and let us get away with giving it a smaller shove.

6.8 x 10E15 kg traveling at 25 km/s??? Doesn't sound hopeful.

Not to mention they'll never get anything put together in 10 years, much less a year.

> --
> Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impact ?

<5f9cafca-544e-407a-9ed0-21905589e193n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63707&group=sci.electronics.design#63707

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 07:58:42 -0700 (PDT)
chicxulub impact ?
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Sat, 22 May 2021 14:58 UTC

On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 10:18:35 AM UTC-4, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Sat, 22 May 2021 05:42:00 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
> <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >That thing came in like a death star, well within view in the sky a year before impact, taking forever to hit during that last week when it was really big..
> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZDmTBqLkLI
> >
> >Frequency of occurrence of these kinds of events has just been increased x10.
> I blame global warming.

The radiant heat blast form those last few seconds of atmospheric entry would be enough to turn drought stricken California into an instant bonfire.

> --
>
> John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
>
> The best designs are necessarily accidental.

Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impact ?

<gsbiagdscr7eapggid6c819kirvisvqeuf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63709&group=sci.electronics.design#63709

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 09:24:40 -0700
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Sat, 22 May 2021 16:24 UTC

On Sat, 22 May 2021 07:58:42 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
<bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 10:18:35 AM UTC-4, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 May 2021 05:42:00 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
>> <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >That thing came in like a death star, well within view in the sky a year before impact, taking forever to hit during that last week when it was really big..
>> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZDmTBqLkLI
>> >
>> >Frequency of occurrence of these kinds of events has just been increased x10.
>> I blame global warming.
>
>The radiant heat blast form those last few seconds of atmospheric entry would be enough to turn drought stricken California into an instant bonfire.

We appreciate your doing all that research to keep us up to date on
all things gloomy.

SF gets is water from the Hetch Hechy reservoir, which is now above
normal. Long hot showers inspire ideas.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impact ?

<e4ciag54n4i736k3llcm1vkbfmhkpr9c0j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63710&group=sci.electronics.design#63710

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 09:31:47 -0700
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Sat, 22 May 2021 16:31 UTC

On Sat, 22 May 2021 07:32:37 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
<bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 9:51:02 AM UTC-4, Bill Sloman wrote:
>> On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 10:42:05 PM UTC+10, Fred Bloggs wrote:
>> > That thing came in like a death star, well within view in the sky a year before impact, taking forever to hit during that last week when it was really big..
>> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZDmTBqLkLI
>> >
>> > Frequency of occurrence of these kinds of events has just been increased x10.
>> >
>> > "The calculations from Loeb and Siraj’s theory increase the chances of long-period comets impacting Earth by a factor of about 10, and show that about 20 percent of long-period comets become sun grazers. That finding falls in line with research from other astronomers."
>> >
>> > New theory explains possible origin of plummeting Chicxulub impactor that struck off Mexico
>> > https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2021/02/new-theory-behind-asteroid-that-killed-the-dinosaurs/
>> Most of them seem to have been quite a bit smaller than the Chicxulub impactor, and correspondingly less destructive.
>>
>> If we could see it a year in advance, presumably we could do something about changing it's orbit enough to get it to miss us - better surveillance could buy us even more time, and let us get away with giving it a smaller shove.
>
>6.8 x 10E15 kg traveling at 25 km/s??? Doesn't sound hopeful.
>
>Not to mention they'll never get anything put together in 10 years, much less a year.

It would be a good use for all those surplus h-bombs. It wouldn't be
hard to have about 4 countries (plus a couple of rich dudes) send up a
few hundred rockets in a few years.

The otherwise useless ISS could be a staging port for comet
interceptors.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impact ?

<60a9347a$0$25505$e4fe514c@textnews.kpn.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63711&group=sci.electronics.design#63711

Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 18:42:35 +0200
From: burrynul...@ppllaanneett.nnll (Sjouke Burry)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
chicxulub impact ?
 by: Sjouke Burry - Sat, 22 May 2021 16:42 UTC

On 22.05.21 18:24, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Sat, 22 May 2021 07:58:42 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
> <bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 10:18:35 AM UTC-4, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

>>> I blame global warming.
>>
>> The radiant heat blast form those last few seconds of atmospheric entry would be enough to turn drought stricken California into an instant bonfire.
>>

> We appreciate your doing all that research to keep us up to date on
> all things gloomy.
>
> SF gets is water from the Hetch Hechy reservoir, which is now above
> normal. Long hot showers inspire ideas.

Na.. Long showers form wrinkles.

Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impact ?

<8pbqI.393766$DJ2.253158@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63712&group=sci.electronics.design#63712

chicxulub impact ?
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 13:43:33 -0400
 by: bitrex - Sat, 22 May 2021 17:43 UTC

On 5/22/2021 10:58 AM, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 10:18:35 AM UTC-4, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 May 2021 05:42:00 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
>> <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> That thing came in like a death star, well within view in the sky a year before impact, taking forever to hit during that last week when it was really big..
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZDmTBqLkLI
>>>
>>> Frequency of occurrence of these kinds of events has just been increased x10.
>> I blame global warming.
>
> The radiant heat blast form those last few seconds of atmospheric entry would be enough to turn drought stricken California into an instant bonfire.
That's nothing compared to the radiant heat from all the ejecta
re-entering the atmosphere a while later; a huge fraction of the Earth's
surface would be heated up hot as a broiler oven from that.

Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impact ?

<tmgiag5q550ouonn3t8vju0jqf9c4hcl0r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63713&group=sci.electronics.design#63713

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 10:47:31 -0700
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Sat, 22 May 2021 17:47 UTC

On Sat, 22 May 2021 18:42:35 +0200, Sjouke Burry
<burrynulnulfour@ppllaanneett.nnll> wrote:

>On 22.05.21 18:24, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 May 2021 07:58:42 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
>> <bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The radiant heat blast form those last few seconds of atmospheric entry would be enough to turn drought stricken California into an instant bonfire.
>>>

>> We appreciate your doing all that research to keep us up to date on
>> all things gloomy.
>>
>> SF gets is water from the Hetch Hechy reservoir, which is now above
>> normal. Long hot showers inspire ideas.
>>

>Na.. Long showers form wrinkles.

I've read that some europeans don't wash daily. I don't absolutely
need to shower daily in our climate (it's sunny and 56F now, at 11AM)
but I enjoy it so.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impact ?

<h2jiag1rjdfce8tljor7imojgke5vagf9i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63714&group=sci.electronics.design#63714

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 11:29:10 -0700
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Sat, 22 May 2021 18:29 UTC

On Sat, 22 May 2021 13:43:33 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:

>On 5/22/2021 10:58 AM, Fred Bloggs wrote:
>> On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 10:18:35 AM UTC-4, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

>>> I blame global warming.
>>
>> The radiant heat blast form those last few seconds of atmospheric entry would be enough to turn drought stricken California into an instant bonfire.
>That's nothing compared to the radiant heat from all the ejecta
>re-entering the atmosphere a while later; a huge fraction of the Earth's
>surface would be heated up hot as a broiler oven from that.

The probability of a big one hitting us in the next 1000 years is low.
It turns out that it wouldn't be hard to move an asteroid's orbit, or
even change the earth's orbit. We almost have the technology now, and
certainly will in another hundred years.

Sorry to be so optimistic.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impact ?

<874d42d4-ea55-4a14-9e64-fa0dc09aaba7@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63715&group=sci.electronics.design#63715

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!paganini.bofh.team!news.dns-netz.com!news.freedyn.net!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed7.news.xs4all.nl!news-out.netnews.com!news.alt.net!fdc3.netnews.com!peer01.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer03.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!buffer1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!buffer2.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.supernews.com!news.supernews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
chicxulub impact ?
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 14:35:38 -0400
 by: Phil Hobbs - Sat, 22 May 2021 18:35 UTC

jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Sat, 22 May 2021 07:32:37 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
> <bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Most of them seem to have been quite a bit smaller than the Chicxulub impactor, and correspondingly less destructive.
>>>
>>> If we could see it a year in advance, presumably we could do something about changing it's orbit enough to get it to miss us - better surveillance could buy us even more time, and let us get away with giving it a smaller shove.
>>
>> 6.8 x 10E15 kg traveling at 25 km/s??? Doesn't sound hopeful.
>>
>> Not to mention they'll never get anything put together in 10 years, much less a year.
>
> It would be a good use for all those surplus h-bombs. It wouldn't be
> hard to have about 4 countries (plus a couple of rich dudes) send up a
> few hundred rockets in a few years.
>
> The otherwise useless ISS could be a staging port for comet
> interceptors.

Yeah, well, you aren't any better off with 200 pieces of 3.4x10^13 kg
each, and probably worse, because a whole lot of the stuff from the big
one would have been ejected along with the associated chunk of atmosphere.

Something along the lines of a fission-bomb-powered rocket would be the
ticket, if you can get one up there.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impact ?

<c90675b2-98a7-ebce-8324-8e5080d78ab4@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63716&group=sci.electronics.design#63716

chicxulub impact ?
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 14:37:51 -0400
 by: Phil Hobbs - Sat, 22 May 2021 18:37 UTC

jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Sat, 22 May 2021 18:42:35 +0200, Sjouke Burry
> <burrynulnulfour@ppllaanneett.nnll> wrote:
>
>> On 22.05.21 18:24, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

>>> We appreciate your doing all that research to keep us up to date
>>> on all things gloomy.
>>>
>>> SF gets is water from the Hetch Hechy reservoir, which is now
>>> above normal. Long hot showers inspire ideas.
>>>

>> Na.. Long showers form wrinkles.
>
> I've read that some europeans don't wash daily.

Or even weekly, apparently. ;)

> I don't absolutely need to shower daily in our climate (it's sunny
> and 56F now, at 11AM) but I enjoy it so.

88F / 40% RH here at 2:30 PM. About 12 degrees above normal for this
time of year.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impact ?

<vgkiagh3gj2ep97ih4pns6um7ujttt689d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63718&group=sci.electronics.design#63718

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 11:59:28 -0700
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Sat, 22 May 2021 18:59 UTC

On Sat, 22 May 2021 14:35:38 -0400, Phil Hobbs

>jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 May 2021 07:32:37 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
>> <bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> 6.8 x 10E15 kg traveling at 25 km/s??? Doesn't sound hopeful.
>>>
>>> Not to mention they'll never get anything put together in 10 years, much less a year.
>>
>> It would be a good use for all those surplus h-bombs. It wouldn't be
>> hard to have about 4 countries (plus a couple of rich dudes) send up a
>> few hundred rockets in a few years.
>>
>> The otherwise useless ISS could be a staging port for comet
>> interceptors.
>>

>Yeah, well, you aren't any better off with 200 pieces of 3.4x10^13 kg
>each, and probably worse, because a whole lot of the stuff from the big
>one would have been ejected along with the associated chunk of atmosphere.
>
>Something along the lines of a fission-bomb-powered rocket would be the
>ticket, if you can get one up there.
>
>Cheers
>
>Phil Hobbs

The idea would be to nuke it from roughly a diameter off, to ablate
some cubic kilometers of dust and rock off at high speed to change the
orbit a little.

That's better than trying to break it up. It would be fun to watch.
The asteroid mass would down-convert the neutrons and gammas more into
the visible range.

I wonder how bright a megaton of nuke would look like from, say, the
orbit of Mars. We need a photon budget!

One on the moon would look cool too.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impact ?

<s8bl6g$16l7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63719&group=sci.electronics.design#63719

From: Decadent...@decadence.org
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 19:14:24 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Decadent...@decadence.org - Sat, 22 May 2021 19:14 UTC

Fred Bloggs <bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote in

> That thing came in like a death star, well within view in the sky
> a year before impact, taking forever to hit during that last week
> when it was really big..
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZDmTBqLkLI
>
> Frequency of occurrence of these kinds of events has just been
> increased x10.
>
> "The calculations from Loeb and Siraj’s theory increase the
> chances of long-period comets impacting Earth by a factor of about
> 10, and show that about 20 percent of long-period comets become
> sun grazers. That finding falls in line with research from other
> astronomers."
>
> New theory explains possible origin of plummeting Chicxulub
> impactor that struck off Mexico
> https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2021/02/new-theory-behind-as
> teroid-that-killed-the-dinosaurs/

Nice. Good thing the whole shebang didn't hit us.

Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impact ?

<6f980f55-95e4-488e-aa1f-85e8b09df4a3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63720&group=sci.electronics.design#63720

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 12:15:43 -0700 (PDT)
chicxulub impact ?
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Sat, 22 May 2021 19:15 UTC

On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 1:43:40 PM UTC-4, bitrex wrote:
> On 5/22/2021 10:58 AM, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> > On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 10:18:35 AM UTC-4, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

> >> I blame global warming.
> >
> > The radiant heat blast form those last few seconds of atmospheric entry would be enough to turn drought stricken California into an instant bonfire.
> That's nothing compared to the radiant heat from all the ejecta
> re-entering the atmosphere a while later; a huge fraction of the Earth's
> surface would be heated up hot as a broiler oven from that.

That's right- and the ejecta cloud originally travels at a few thousand MPH- so there's no getting away from it.

Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impact ?

<s8blhj$16l7$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63723&group=sci.electronics.design#63723

From: Decadent...@decadence.org
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 19:20:20 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Decadent...@decadence.org - Sat, 22 May 2021 19:20 UTC

> On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 9:51:02 AM UTC-4, Bill Sloman wrote:
>> On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 10:42:05 PM UTC+10, Fred Bloggs
>> wrote:
>> > That thing came in like a death star, well within view in the
>> > sky a yea
> r before impact, taking forever to hit during that last week when
> it was really big..
>> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZDmTBqLkLI
>> >
>> > Frequency of occurrence of these kinds of events has just been
>> > increase
> d x10.
>> >
>> > "The calculations from Loeb and Siraj’s theory increase the
>> > cha
> nces of long-period comets impacting Earth by a factor of about
> 10, and show that about 20 percent of long-period comets become
> sun grazers. That finding falls in line with research from other
> astronomers."
>> >
>> > New theory explains possible origin of plummeting Chicxulub
>> > impactor th
> at struck off Mexico
>> > https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2021/02/new-theory-behind
>> > -astero
> id-that-killed-the-dinosaurs/
>> Most of them seem to have been quite a bit smaller than the
>> Chicxulub imp
> actor, and correspondingly less destructive.
>>
>> If we could see it a year in advance, presumably we could do
>> something ab
> out changing it's orbit enough to get it to miss us - better
> surveillance could buy us even more time, and let us get away with
> giving it a smaller shove.
>
> 6.8 x 10E15 kg traveling at 25 km/s??? Doesn't sound hopeful.
>
> Not to mention they'll never get anything put together in 10
> years, much less a year.
>

>> --
>> Bill Sloman, Sydney

Revelation says that "the lord" will return with "one foot on the
land and one foot on the sea"... Sounds like a big fucking rock to
me. And then Yellowstone will pop off from the giggle.

Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impact ?

<92fff01f-d6c1-4561-82f6-05d9b4feb23fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63724&group=sci.electronics.design#63724

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 12:25:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Sat, 22 May 2021 19:25 UTC

On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 2:59:37 PM UTC-4, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Sat, 22 May 2021 14:35:38 -0400, Phil Hobbs
> <pcdhSpamM...@electrooptical.net> wrote:
>
> >jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

> >> It would be a good use for all those surplus h-bombs. It wouldn't be
> >> hard to have about 4 countries (plus a couple of rich dudes) send up a
> >> few hundred rockets in a few years.
> >>
> >> The otherwise useless ISS could be a staging port for comet
> >> interceptors.
> >>

> >Yeah, well, you aren't any better off with 200 pieces of 3.4x10^13 kg
> >each, and probably worse, because a whole lot of the stuff from the big
> >one would have been ejected along with the associated chunk of atmosphere.
> >
> >Something along the lines of a fission-bomb-powered rocket would be the
> >ticket, if you can get one up there.
> >
> >Cheers
> >
> >Phil Hobbs
> The idea would be to nuke it from roughly a diameter off, to ablate
> some cubic kilometers of dust and rock off at high speed to change the
> orbit a little.
>
> That's better than trying to break it up. It would be fun to watch.
> The asteroid mass would down-convert the neutrons and gammas more into
> the visible range.
>
> I wonder how bright a megaton of nuke would look like from, say, the
> orbit of Mars. We need a photon budget!
>
> One on the moon would look cool too.
> --
>
> John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
>
> The best designs are necessarily accidental.

If you watched the video for this particular case, they don't get a point of impact estimate until one week before impact. So at 50,000 MPH that's about 50,000 x 24 x 7 = 8.4 million miles off. There's trajectory curvature at play here so that's not direct distance, and dunno how that matters to an interceptor course duration.
I'm pretty sure the asteroid isn't going to even notice a crummy megaton nuke, that's on the order of ppm of the energy at play, and it's too close.

Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impact ?

<s8bls5$1faa$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63725&group=sci.electronics.design#63725

From: Decadent...@decadence.org
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 19:25:58 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Decadent...@decadence.org - Sat, 22 May 2021 19:25 UTC

jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in

> On Sat, 22 May 2021 07:32:37 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
> <bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 9:51:02 AM UTC-4, Bill Sloman wrote:

>>> Most of them seem to have been quite a bit smaller than the
>>> Chicxulub impactor, and correspondingly less destructive.
>>>
>>> If we could see it a year in advance, presumably we could do
>>> something about changing it's orbit enough to get it to miss us
>>> - better surveillance could buy us even more time, and let us
>>> get away with giving it a smaller shove.
>>
>>6.8 x 10E15 kg traveling at 25 km/s??? Doesn't sound hopeful.
>>
>>Not to mention they'll never get anything put together in 10
>>years, much less a year.
>
> It would be a good use for all those surplus h-bombs. It wouldn't
> be hard to have about 4 countries (plus a couple of rich dudes)
> send up a few hundred rockets in a few years.
>
> The otherwise useless ISS

You are such a fucking absolute retard.

> could be a staging port for comet
> interceptors.

Your mother needed to have her repro intercepted before you were
spawned.

Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impact ?

<f36f0b20-4c42-4215-8089-08ebbcc4b198n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63727&group=sci.electronics.design#63727

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 12:27:26 -0700 (PDT)
chicxulub impact ?
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Sat, 22 May 2021 19:27 UTC

On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 3:14:34 PM UTC-4, DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote:
> Fred Bloggs <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote in
> > That thing came in like a death star, well within view in the sky
> > a year before impact, taking forever to hit during that last week
> > when it was really big..
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZDmTBqLkLI
> >
> > Frequency of occurrence of these kinds of events has just been
> > increased x10.
> >
> > "The calculations from Loeb and Siraj’s theory increase the
> > chances of long-period comets impacting Earth by a factor of about
> > 10, and show that about 20 percent of long-period comets become
> > sun grazers. That finding falls in line with research from other
> > astronomers."
> >
> > New theory explains possible origin of plummeting Chicxulub
> > impactor that struck off Mexico
> > https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2021/02/new-theory-behind-as
> > teroid-that-killed-the-dinosaurs/
> >
> Nice. Good thing the whole shebang didn't hit us.

We would be gone. I'm pretty sure the dinosaurs were a lot tougher breed, and they all bought the farm.

Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impact ?

<d6liag1dlg1u200g9196l7n9i9ndkj0kuv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63729&group=sci.electronics.design#63729

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 12:50:50 -0700
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Sat, 22 May 2021 19:50 UTC

On Sat, 22 May 2021 14:37:51 -0400, Phil Hobbs

>jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 May 2021 18:42:35 +0200, Sjouke Burry
>> <burrynulnulfour@ppllaanneett.nnll> wrote:

>>> Na.. Long showers form wrinkles.
>>
>> I've read that some europeans don't wash daily.
>
>Or even weekly, apparently. ;)
>
>> I don't absolutely need to shower daily in our climate (it's sunny
>> and 56F now, at 11AM) but I enjoy it so.
>
>88F / 40% RH here at 2:30 PM. About 12 degrees above normal for this
>time of year.
>
>Cheers
>
>Phil Hobbs

Gotta put on my parka and go to Safeway soon. The Diamond Heights
Safeway parking lot is officially the coldest place on Earth.

On Saturday, we expect a couple of giant fire trucks in the parking
lot and many firemen inside; fire fighters cook a lot. Last week I
asked one if there was a firefighter's cookbook; I got an enthusiastic
discussion. Turns out there are several.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impact ?

<qnoiag5hlen11bt9cst39sn59cp05isrpu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63732&group=sci.electronics.design#63732

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 13:05:07 -0700
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Sat, 22 May 2021 20:05 UTC

On Sat, 22 May 2021 12:25:39 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
<bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 2:59:37 PM UTC-4, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 May 2021 14:35:38 -0400, Phil Hobbs
>> <pcdhSpamM...@electrooptical.net> wrote:

>> >Yeah, well, you aren't any better off with 200 pieces of 3.4x10^13 kg
>> >each, and probably worse, because a whole lot of the stuff from the big
>> >one would have been ejected along with the associated chunk of atmosphere.
>> >
>> >Something along the lines of a fission-bomb-powered rocket would be the
>> >ticket, if you can get one up there.
>> >
>> >Cheers
>> >
>> >Phil Hobbs
>> The idea would be to nuke it from roughly a diameter off, to ablate
>> some cubic kilometers of dust and rock off at high speed to change the
>> orbit a little.
>>
>> That's better than trying to break it up. It would be fun to watch.
>> The asteroid mass would down-convert the neutrons and gammas more into
>> the visible range.
>>
>> I wonder how bright a megaton of nuke would look like from, say, the
>> orbit of Mars. We need a photon budget!
>>
>> One on the moon would look cool too.
>> --
>>
>> John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
>>
>> The best designs are necessarily accidental.
>
>If you watched the video for this particular case, they don't get a point of impact estimate until one week before impact. So at 50,000 MPH that's about 50,000 x 24 x 7 = 8.4 million miles off. There's trajectory curvature at play here so that's not direct distance, and dunno how that matters to an interceptor course duration.

That was animated fiction. Anything is possible.
>I'm pretty sure the asteroid isn't going to even notice a crummy megaton nuke, that's on the order of ppm of the energy at play, and it's too close.

Just give it a hard kick, or a hundred hard kicks. We should have more
orbiting wide-field telescopes to spot these things in time, but we'd
rather play with helicopters on Mars and growing carrots in the ISS
and putting more bootprints in moon dust.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impact ?

<c8876189-0381-4e40-e3ef-f6bfdd6edf79@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63738&group=sci.electronics.design#63738

chicxulub impact ?
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 17:38:20 -0400
 by: Phil Hobbs - Sat, 22 May 2021 21:38 UTC

jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Sat, 22 May 2021 12:25:39 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
> <bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 2:59:37 PM UTC-4, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

>>> The idea would be to nuke it from roughly a diameter off, to ablate
>>> some cubic kilometers of dust and rock off at high speed to change the
>>> orbit a little.
>>>
>>> That's better than trying to break it up. It would be fun to watch.
>>> The asteroid mass would down-convert the neutrons and gammas more into
>>> the visible range.
>>>
>>> I wonder how bright a megaton of nuke would look like from, say, the
>>> orbit of Mars. We need a photon budget!
>>>
>>> One on the moon would look cool too.
>>> --
>>>
>>> John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
>>>
>>> The best designs are necessarily accidental.
>>
>> If you watched the video for this particular case, they don't get a point of impact estimate until one week before impact. So at 50,000 MPH that's about 50,000 x 24 x 7 = 8.4 million miles off. There's trajectory curvature at play here so that's not direct distance, and dunno how that matters to an interceptor course duration.
>
> That was animated fiction. Anything is possible.
>
>> I'm pretty sure the asteroid isn't going to even notice a crummy megaton nuke, that's on the order of ppm of the energy at play, and it's too close.
>
> Just give it a hard kick, or a hundred hard kicks. We should have more
> orbiting wide-field telescopes to spot these things in time, but we'd
> rather play with helicopters on Mars and growing carrots in the ISS
> and putting more bootprints in moon dust.

Sure, and put Neil Ferguson in charge of the orbital calculations to
decide when and how to fix it. :(

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: Eerie CGI Simulation of What did the dinosaurs see before the chicxulub impact ?

<iziqI.90362$Sx7.46328@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63750&group=sci.electronics.design#63750

chicxulub impact ?
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 21:52:15 -0400
 by: bitrex - Sun, 23 May 2021 01:52 UTC

On 5/22/2021 3:15 PM, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 1:43:40 PM UTC-4, bitrex wrote:

>>> The radiant heat blast form those last few seconds of atmospheric entry would be enough to turn drought stricken California into an instant bonfire.
>> That's nothing compared to the radiant heat from all the ejecta
>> re-entering the atmosphere a while later; a huge fraction of the Earth's
>> surface would be heated up hot as a broiler oven from that.
>
> That's right- and the ejecta cloud originally travels at a few thousand MPH- so there's no getting away from it.

Sea turtles made it through.