Marriage is the sole cause of divorce.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Amazon Reviews

SubjectAuthor
* Amazon ReviewsTom Kunich
`* Re: Amazon ReviewsJeff Liebermann
 +* Re: Amazon ReviewsCatrike Rider
 |`* Re: Amazon ReviewsTom Kunich
 | +* Re: Amazon Reviewsrussellseaton1@yahoo.com
 | |`- Re: Amazon Reviewssms
 | +* Re: Amazon ReviewsFrank Krygowski
 | |+- Re: Amazon ReviewsJohn B.
 | |`* Re: Amazon ReviewsRoger Merriman
 | | +* Re: Amazon ReviewsLou Holtman
 | | |+* Re: Amazon ReviewsTom Kunich
 | | |`- Re: Amazon Reviewsrussellseaton1@yahoo.com
 | | `* Re: Amazon ReviewsTom Kunich
 | |  `- Re: Amazon Reviewsrussellseaton1@yahoo.com
 | `- Re: Amazon ReviewsJeff Liebermann
 `- Re: Amazon Reviewssms

1
Amazon Reviews

<e80417da-4ded-4320-9319-aa0e29244664n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63852&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63852

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 13:30:49 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Amazon Reviews
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Tue, 13 Sep 2022 20:30 UTC

I bought several things from Amazon. They wanted me to review a set of Chinese quick releases. They were absolute crap. When you tried to lock them they would over center and loosen up. So I said so.

Campy quick releases and Shimano quick releases do not do this.

So now I got a SRAM chain and when they wanted me to give feedback they said "e apologize but Amazon has noticed some unusual reviewing activity on this account. As a result, all reviews submitted by this account have been removed and this account will no longer be able to contribute reviews and other content on Amazon. If you would like to learn more, please see our community guidelines"

In other words "If we sell junk we do not allow it to be mentioned."

Re: Amazon Reviews

<sgt1iht1iqlej067nbl7i21l6i3uo3ij6d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63872&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63872

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Amazon Reviews
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 14:48:29 -0700
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Tue, 13 Sep 2022 21:48 UTC

On Tue, 13 Sep 2022 13:30:49 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
<cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

>I bought several things from Amazon. They wanted me to review a set of Chinese quick releases. They were absolute crap. When you tried to lock them they would over center and loosen up. So I said so.
>
>Campy quick releases and Shimano quick releases do not do this.
>
>So now I got a SRAM chain and when they wanted me to give feedback they said "e apologize but Amazon has noticed some unusual reviewing activity on this account. As a result, all reviews submitted by this account have been removed and this account will no longer be able to contribute reviews and other content on Amazon. If you would like to learn more, please see our community guidelines"
>
>In other words "If we sell junk we do not allow it to be mentioned."

You might want to read this thread. So far 98 comments, all very
similar to yours.
<https://www.amazonforum.com/s/question/0D54P00006zKG0xSAG/wont-let-me-leave-customer-reviews>

Also, this one by someone who has had his reviews restored:
<https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/anyone-else-banned-from-leaving-amazon-reviews.2333895/>

My guess(tm) is that Amazon is trying to deal with a deluge of fake
reviews. You know the problem, where one can't trust what they read
online. Amazon is constantly changing and improving their fake review
detection algorithm with variable results. For example, reviews with
perfect spelling were treated as machine generated, while reviews with
common spelling errors would pass as human generated. Fortunately,
that didn't last long. Sending email to community-help@amazon.com
worked for the 2nd author. Try it.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

Re: Amazon Reviews

<fbv1ihlb66lvhfm4fijpk2ls4c8k1vjsav@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63876&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63876

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 18:08:44 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Tue, 13 Sep 2022 22:08 UTC

On Tue, 13 Sep 2022 14:48:29 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Sep 2022 13:30:49 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
><cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I bought several things from Amazon. They wanted me to review a set of Chinese quick releases. They were absolute crap. When you tried to lock them they would over center and loosen up. So I said so.
>>
>>Campy quick releases and Shimano quick releases do not do this.
>>
>>So now I got a SRAM chain and when they wanted me to give feedback they said "e apologize but Amazon has noticed some unusual reviewing activity on this account. As a result, all reviews submitted by this account have been removed and this account will no longer be able to contribute reviews and other content on Amazon. If you would like to learn more, please see our community guidelines"
>>
>>In other words "If we sell junk we do not allow it to be mentioned."
>
>You might want to read this thread. So far 98 comments, all very
>similar to yours.
><https://www.amazonforum.com/s/question/0D54P00006zKG0xSAG/wont-let-me-leave-customer-reviews>
>
>Also, this one by someone who has had his reviews restored:
><https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/anyone-else-banned-from-leaving-amazon-reviews.2333895/>
>
>My guess(tm) is that Amazon is trying to deal with a deluge of fake
>reviews. You know the problem, where one can't trust what they read
>online. Amazon is constantly changing and improving their fake review
>detection algorithm with variable results. For example, reviews with
>perfect spelling were treated as machine generated, while reviews with
>common spelling errors would pass as human generated. Fortunately,
>that didn't last long. Sending email to community-help@amazon.com
>worked for the 2nd author. Try it.

Best to stay away from Chinese crap if you can. I buy USA goods if I
can, and there are many other countries that manufacture goods. China
is a last resort.

Re: Amazon Reviews

<0c19bc13-aad7-4879-a872-9d2407e7551an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63881&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63881

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 15:32:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Tue, 13 Sep 2022 22:32 UTC

On Tuesday, September 13, 2022 at 3:08:47 PM UTC-7, Catrike Rider wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Sep 2022 14:48:29 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
> wrote:
> >On Tue, 13 Sep 2022 13:30:49 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
> ><cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I bought several things from Amazon. They wanted me to review a set of Chinese quick releases. They were absolute crap. When you tried to lock them they would over center and loosen up. So I said so.
> >>
> >>Campy quick releases and Shimano quick releases do not do this.
> >>
> >>So now I got a SRAM chain and when they wanted me to give feedback they said "e apologize but Amazon has noticed some unusual reviewing activity on this account. As a result, all reviews submitted by this account have been removed and this account will no longer be able to contribute reviews and other content on Amazon. If you would like to learn more, please see our community guidelines"
> >>
> >>In other words "If we sell junk we do not allow it to be mentioned."
> >
> >You might want to read this thread. So far 98 comments, all very
> >similar to yours.
> ><https://www.amazonforum.com/s/question/0D54P00006zKG0xSAG/wont-let-me-leave-customer-reviews>
> >
> >Also, this one by someone who has had his reviews restored:
> ><https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/anyone-else-banned-from-leaving-amazon-reviews.2333895/>
> >
> >My guess(tm) is that Amazon is trying to deal with a deluge of fake
> >reviews. You know the problem, where one can't trust what they read
> >online. Amazon is constantly changing and improving their fake review
> >detection algorithm with variable results. For example, reviews with
> >perfect spelling were treated as machine generated, while reviews with
> >common spelling errors would pass as human generated. Fortunately,
> >that didn't last long. Sending email to communi...@amazon.com
> >worked for the 2nd author. Try it.
> Best to stay away from Chinese crap if you can. I buy USA goods if I
> can, and there are many other countries that manufacture goods. China
> is a last resort.
I needed a set of quick releases rapidly and they were the only option deliverable in one day so that I could take it on a ride on the Peninsula. I clipped in and stood up to leave and the rear wheel pulled forward and locked in the chainstays and threw me over the bars. Do they really think I was going to give that product a good review? In order to get it to work for the ride, I had to cinch it down so tightly that it never reached the "locked" position. And even then I worried the entire ride. Luckily the fork had lawyers lips on it since we did a lot of climbing and descending all the time that the quick release might pop open and the rear wheel lock again.

I always have to wonder why Liebermann feels the need to talk. If he knew anything about Amazon he would know that you can't review something you haven't bought. Deluge of Fake Reviews?

Re: Amazon Reviews

<43ef7b63-d686-4987-a523-b239d507572fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63897&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63897

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 16:43:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Tue, 13 Sep 2022 23:43 UTC

On Tuesday, September 13, 2022 at 5:32:12 PM UTC-5, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 13, 2022 at 3:08:47 PM UTC-7, Catrike Rider wrote:
> > On Tue, 13 Sep 2022 14:48:29 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
> > wrote:

> > >You might want to read this thread. So far 98 comments, all very
> > >similar to yours.
> > ><https://www.amazonforum.com/s/question/0D54P00006zKG0xSAG/wont-let-me-leave-customer-reviews>
> > >
> > >Also, this one by someone who has had his reviews restored:
> > ><https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/anyone-else-banned-from-leaving-amazon-reviews.2333895/>
> > >
> > >My guess(tm) is that Amazon is trying to deal with a deluge of fake
> > >reviews. You know the problem, where one can't trust what they read
> > >online. Amazon is constantly changing and improving their fake review
> > >detection algorithm with variable results. For example, reviews with
> > >perfect spelling were treated as machine generated, while reviews with
> > >common spelling errors would pass as human generated. Fortunately,
> > >that didn't last long. Sending email to communi...@amazon.com
> > >worked for the 2nd author. Try it.
> > Best to stay away from Chinese crap if you can. I buy USA goods if I
> > can, and there are many other countries that manufacture goods. China
> > is a last resort.
> I needed a set of quick releases rapidly and they were the only option deliverable in one day so that I could take it on a ride on the Peninsula.

Tommy, I thought you had a full garage of bikes. You always have two or three for sale on eBay. Yet, you had to ride this bike? And NEEDED a set of quick release levers in ONE DAY? Don't you have any other sets of wheels? Or take the wheels from another bike and put it onto this bike. Or just unscrew the quick release levers from the other bike and use them on this set of wheels. You do know, don't you, that it is very easy to move quick release levers between wheels. They easily unscrew and pull out of the hub. 15 seconds to move them between wheels.

Now, I understand certain bikes must be ridden on some occasions. I have a loaded touring bike that I would have to use for a loaded tour. Or a brevet bike I would have to ride on night rides. Very specialized bikes that cannot be filled by anything else. And I have another bike with low gears that I would require for a mountain ride.

But you Tommy, have been talking about your new steel bikes for a month or two now. And it seems all have the same components more or less. Nothing unique like I explained in the paragraph above. So why couldn't you just use one of your other bikes to go for a ride? And wait a few extra days to get good quick releases. Or just go to your local bike shop in Oakland and buy a set of genuine Shimano quick releases. They might be costly. But you know they will work. And then you would not have to rant and rave about all the Chinese junk you buy on this bicycle forum.

Tommy, I know it is a big big ask. But just do the simple things right and your life will be so much better and easier. Don't go out of your way to make like extra difficult.

> I clipped in and stood up to leave and the rear wheel pulled forward and locked in the chainstays and threw me over the bars. Do they really think I was going to give that product a good review? In order to get it to work for the ride, I had to cinch it down so tightly that it never reached the "locked" position. And even then I worried the entire ride. Luckily the fork had lawyers lips on it since we did a lot of climbing and descending all the time that the quick release might pop open and the rear wheel lock again.
>
> I always have to wonder why Liebermann feels the need to talk. If he knew anything about Amazon he would know that you can't review something you haven't bought. Deluge of Fake Reviews?

Re: Amazon Reviews

<fe618ca4-a5bf-493c-9840-3a8796241e63n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63916&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63916

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 18:46:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: frkry...@gmail.com (Frank Krygowski)
 by: Frank Krygowski - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 01:46 UTC

On Tuesday, September 13, 2022 at 6:32:12 PM UTC-4, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:

> I needed a set of quick releases rapidly and they were the only option deliverable in one day so that I could take it on a ride on the Peninsula.

That's really puzzling. You're constantly churning through bikes and parts. How could you not have any
quick releases in any bikes or spare wheels?

In 50 years of riding, I think there was only one time I had a problem and needed to borrow a quick release -
and I mean "borrow" it from another bike I owned. You can ride only one at a time, you know.

- Frank Krygowski

Re: Amazon Reviews

<40g2ihhbtg2i6m2balmepqosqkoq7k081n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63928&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63928

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 09:46:55 +0700
 by: John B. - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 02:46 UTC

On Tue, 13 Sep 2022 18:46:41 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
<frkrygow@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, September 13, 2022 at 6:32:12 PM UTC-4, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> I needed a set of quick releases rapidly and they were the only option deliverable in one day so that I could take it on a ride on the Peninsula.
>
>That's really puzzling. You're constantly churning through bikes and parts. How could you not have any
>quick releases in any bikes or spare wheels?
>
>In 50 years of riding, I think there was only one time I had a problem and needed to borrow a quick release -
>and I mean "borrow" it from another bike I owned. You can ride only one at a time, you know.
>
>- Frank Krygowski

Ah Frank... (how soon they forget(:-)

Tommy was complaining just a few days ago about the difficulties in
keeping his rear wheel aligned because the quick release wasn't
working right (:-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Amazon Reviews

<s7j2ihdpg9io26882ljj2otc4b7uu4qr00@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63932&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63932

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 20:49:18 -0700
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 03:49 UTC

On Tue, 13 Sep 2022 15:32:10 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
<cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

>I always have to wonder why Liebermann feels the need to talk. If he knew anything about Amazon he would know that you can't review something you haven't bought. Deluge of Fake Reviews?

Hint: Don't bite the hand that feeds you information.

However, you're partly right about me and Amazon. I do very little
business with Amazon because of some rather bad experiences in the
past. With some items, Amazon is the only choice. I have several
Kindles which accounts for most of my business with Amazon. I don't
recall writing any Amazon reviews in this century. Mostly, I buy from
eBay or directly from the web stores of a multitude of vendors.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Re: Amazon Reviews

<tfru6n$2ri5b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63941&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63941

From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 07:00:39 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:9Ey4xARlErhR8bOZCotdDJJaosY=
 by: Roger Merriman - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 07:00 UTC

Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 13, 2022 at 6:32:12 PM UTC-4, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> I needed a set of quick releases rapidly and they were the only option
>> deliverable in one day so that I could take it on a ride on the Peninsula.
>
> That's really puzzling. You're constantly churning through bikes and
> parts. How could you not have any
> quick releases in any bikes or spare wheels?
>
> In 50 years of riding, I think there was only one time I had a problem
> and needed to borrow a quick release -
> and I mean "borrow" it from another bike I owned. You can ride only one
> at a time, you know.
>
> - Frank Krygowski

Or since they are cheap buy from local bike shop, they are what £5? My
commute bike eats the front QR possibly having a bar bag extra weight etc?

Roger Merriman

Re: Amazon Reviews

<da8d40fd-5af1-4c57-a5be-c69ab9693d71n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63956&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63956

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 05:34:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 12:34 UTC

On Wednesday, September 14, 2022 at 9:00:42 AM UTC+2, Roger Merriman wrote:
> Frank Krygowski <frkr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tuesday, September 13, 2022 at 6:32:12 PM UTC-4, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> >>
> >> I needed a set of quick releases rapidly and they were the only option
> >> deliverable in one day so that I could take it on a ride on the Peninsula.
> >
> > That's really puzzling. You're constantly churning through bikes and
> > parts. How could you not have any
> > quick releases in any bikes or spare wheels?
> >
> > In 50 years of riding, I think there was only one time I had a problem
> > and needed to borrow a quick release -
> > and I mean "borrow" it from another bike I owned. You can ride only one
> > at a time, you know.
> >
> > - Frank Krygowski
> >
> Or since they are cheap buy from local bike shop, they are what £5? My
> commute bike eats the front QR possibly having a bar bag extra weight etc?
>
> Roger Merriman

I also don't get it why you would buy such an item from Amazon. If you don't have a LBS close to you I would buy them from a bike shop with a webshop not Amazon. I have a problem with the way Amazon works. F*ck them. It doesn't get better than this:
https://www.bike-components.de/en/Shimano/Ultegra-HB-6800-FH-6800-Quick-Release-p38957/

Lou

Re: Amazon Reviews

<38892069-9970-4c89-b0a0-faf3d8d5a415n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63970&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63970

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 08:48:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 15:48 UTC

On Wednesday, September 14, 2022 at 12:00:42 AM UTC-7, Roger Merriman wrote:
> Frank Krygowski <frkr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tuesday, September 13, 2022 at 6:32:12 PM UTC-4, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> >>
> >> I needed a set of quick releases rapidly and they were the only option
> >> deliverable in one day so that I could take it on a ride on the Peninsula.
> >
> > That's really puzzling. You're constantly churning through bikes and
> > parts. How could you not have any
> > quick releases in any bikes or spare wheels?
> >
> > In 50 years of riding, I think there was only one time I had a problem
> > and needed to borrow a quick release -
> > and I mean "borrow" it from another bike I owned. You can ride only one
> > at a time, you know.
> >
> > - Frank Krygowski
> >
> Or since they are cheap buy from local bike shop, they are what £5? My
> commute bike eats the front QR possibly having a bar bag extra weight etc?
>
> Roger Merriman
No they are not a "cheap buy from any bicycle shop" Most have these Chinese copies. I ordered Shimano from Amazon, they cost $21 and took a week to get here. They work very well thank you but don't pretend that good quick releases are easily available from your local bike shop. Most modern drop-outs are vertical and these older steel bikes have horizontal drop outs.

Re: Amazon Reviews

<8a270773-d1bb-47aa-a0c8-7f16a3fc4fbfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63971&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63971

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 09:05:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 16:05 UTC

On Wednesday, September 14, 2022 at 5:35:01 AM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 14, 2022 at 9:00:42 AM UTC+2, Roger Merriman wrote:
> > Frank Krygowski <frkr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > That's really puzzling. You're constantly churning through bikes and
> > > parts. How could you not have any
> > > quick releases in any bikes or spare wheels?
> > >
> > > In 50 years of riding, I think there was only one time I had a problem
> > > and needed to borrow a quick release -
> > > and I mean "borrow" it from another bike I owned. You can ride only one
> > > at a time, you know.
> > >
> > > - Frank Krygowski
> > >
> > Or since they are cheap buy from local bike shop, they are what £5? My
> > commute bike eats the front QR possibly having a bar bag extra weight etc?
> >
> > Roger Merriman
> I also don't get it why you would buy such an item from Amazon. If you don't have a LBS close to you I would buy them from a bike shop with a webshop not Amazon. I have a problem with the way Amazon works. F*ck them. It doesn't get better than this:
> https://www.bike-components.de/en/Shimano/Ultegra-HB-6800-FH-6800-Quick-Release-p38957/

As I just said, most modern bicycles have vertical drop-outs. The Chinese quick releases operate fairly for that. Any of the modern bikes with disk brakes use 12 mm screw in "quick releases". Remember? That is why they so seldom change wheels in the Grand Tours anymore but change bikes. The horizontal drop outs in older steel frames like my Basso need descent quick releases. Only Campy and Shimano still make these and bike shops don't carry them on the shelves - they order them. Even the 12 mm screw-in quick releases are unique to a manufacturer since they have non-standard lengths.

I bought the quick releases from Amazon because they arrived the same day. The Shimano versions took two weeks. But the Basso is awaiting a longer rear derailleur arm. I thought we had gone through all of this? Are you taking lessons from Frank and questioning someone who has been building bikes for the last 40 years?

Can you tell me why I ordered a longer rear derailleur arm? How could you possibly know that the Chinese quick releases do not operate properly without actually trying them yourself? Please don't get inventive. We have Frank to do that and he rides freewheel bikes with downtube shifters.

Re: Amazon Reviews

<52010441-2977-42e0-add8-ff6b649045f0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63978&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63978

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 09:47:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 16:47 UTC

On Wednesday, September 14, 2022 at 6:05:53 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 14, 2022 at 5:35:01 AM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:

> > > Or since they are cheap buy from local bike shop, they are what £5? My
> > > commute bike eats the front QR possibly having a bar bag extra weight etc?
> > >
> > > Roger Merriman
> > I also don't get it why you would buy such an item from Amazon. If you don't have a LBS close to you I would buy them from a bike shop with a webshop not Amazon. I have a problem with the way Amazon works. F*ck them. It doesn't get better than this:
> > https://www.bike-components.de/en/Shimano/Ultegra-HB-6800-FH-6800-Quick-Release-p38957/
> As I just said, most modern bicycles have vertical drop-outs. The Chinese quick releases operate fairly for that. Any of the modern bikes with disk brakes use 12 mm screw in "quick releases". Remember? That is why they so seldom change wheels in the Grand Tours anymore but change bikes. The horizontal drop outs in older steel frames like my Basso need descent quick releases. Only Campy and Shimano still make these and bike shops don't carry them on the shelves - they order them. Even the 12 mm screw-in quick releases are unique to a manufacturer since they have non-standard lengths.
>
> I bought the quick releases from Amazon because they arrived the same day.. The Shimano versions took two weeks. But the Basso is awaiting a longer rear derailleur arm. I thought we had gone through all of this? Are you taking lessons from Frank and questioning someone who has been building bikes for the last 40 years?
>
> Can you tell me why I ordered a longer rear derailleur arm? How could you possibly know that the Chinese quick releases do not operate properly without actually trying them yourself? Please don't get inventive. We have Frank to do that and he rides freewheel bikes with downtube shifters.

With Chinese stuff you know two things for sure; it is cheap and with an unknown quality. Like other people wonder why would you need it the same day?

Lou

Re: Amazon Reviews

<998780b5-db00-42f0-b32f-7ae208e22f4fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63981&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63981

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 09:56:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 16:56 UTC

On Wednesday, September 14, 2022 at 9:47:12 AM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 14, 2022 at 6:05:53 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:

> > > I also don't get it why you would buy such an item from Amazon. If you don't have a LBS close to you I would buy them from a bike shop with a webshop not Amazon. I have a problem with the way Amazon works. F*ck them. It doesn't get better than this:
> > > https://www.bike-components.de/en/Shimano/Ultegra-HB-6800-FH-6800-Quick-Release-p38957/
> > As I just said, most modern bicycles have vertical drop-outs. The Chinese quick releases operate fairly for that. Any of the modern bikes with disk brakes use 12 mm screw in "quick releases". Remember? That is why they so seldom change wheels in the Grand Tours anymore but change bikes. The horizontal drop outs in older steel frames like my Basso need descent quick releases. Only Campy and Shimano still make these and bike shops don't carry them on the shelves - they order them. Even the 12 mm screw-in quick releases are unique to a manufacturer since they have non-standard lengths.
> >
> > I bought the quick releases from Amazon because they arrived the same day. The Shimano versions took two weeks. But the Basso is awaiting a longer rear derailleur arm. I thought we had gone through all of this? Are you taking lessons from Frank and questioning someone who has been building bikes for the last 40 years?
> >
> > Can you tell me why I ordered a longer rear derailleur arm? How could you possibly know that the Chinese quick releases do not operate properly without actually trying them yourself? Please don't get inventive. We have Frank to do that and he rides freewheel bikes with downtube shifters.
> With Chinese stuff you know two things for sure; it is cheap and with an unknown quality. Like other people wonder why would you need it the same day?

At the time I had a planned group ride on the peninsula the following day. I wanted to test the Basso rather than ride the Moser. You've never done that?

Re: Amazon Reviews

<403e41fc-c756-4241-b8b3-b1093e12a786n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63997&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63997

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 17:25:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 00:25 UTC

On Wednesday, September 14, 2022 at 11:56:05 AM UTC-5, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 14, 2022 at 9:47:12 AM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:

> > > As I just said, most modern bicycles have vertical drop-outs. The Chinese quick releases operate fairly for that. Any of the modern bikes with disk brakes use 12 mm screw in "quick releases". Remember? That is why they so seldom change wheels in the Grand Tours anymore but change bikes. The horizontal drop outs in older steel frames like my Basso need descent quick releases. Only Campy and Shimano still make these and bike shops don't carry them on the shelves - they order them. Even the 12 mm screw-in quick releases are unique to a manufacturer since they have non-standard lengths.
> > >
> > > I bought the quick releases from Amazon because they arrived the same day. The Shimano versions took two weeks. But the Basso is awaiting a longer rear derailleur arm. I thought we had gone through all of this? Are you taking lessons from Frank and questioning someone who has been building bikes for the last 40 years?
> > >
> > > Can you tell me why I ordered a longer rear derailleur arm? How could you possibly know that the Chinese quick releases do not operate properly without actually trying them yourself? Please don't get inventive. We have Frank to do that and he rides freewheel bikes with downtube shifters.
> > With Chinese stuff you know two things for sure; it is cheap and with an unknown quality. Like other people wonder why would you need it the same day?
> At the time I had a planned group ride on the peninsula the following day.. I wanted to test the Basso rather than ride the Moser. You've never done that?

Tommy, you just admitted in writing that you had another functioning bike. The Moser. So why did you HAVE to test the Basso? Couldn't the test of the Basso await until Shimano sent you the good quick releases in two weeks? Is riding the Moser for two weeks straight evil? Will riding the Moser instead of the Moser help Nancy Pelosi? Therefore, you cannot do that.

Re: Amazon Reviews

<cc8820d9-d8a1-4863-b0b6-e74803c2e053n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63999&group=rec.bicycles.tech#63999

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 17:34:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 00:34 UTC

On Wednesday, September 14, 2022 at 10:48:24 AM UTC-5, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 14, 2022 at 12:00:42 AM UTC-7, Roger Merriman wrote:
> > Frank Krygowski <frkr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > That's really puzzling. You're constantly churning through bikes and
> > > parts. How could you not have any
> > > quick releases in any bikes or spare wheels?
> > >
> > > In 50 years of riding, I think there was only one time I had a problem
> > > and needed to borrow a quick release -
> > > and I mean "borrow" it from another bike I owned. You can ride only one
> > > at a time, you know.
> > >
> > > - Frank Krygowski
> > >
> > Or since they are cheap buy from local bike shop, they are what £5? My
> > commute bike eats the front QR possibly having a bar bag extra weight etc?
> >
> > Roger Merriman
> No they are not a "cheap buy from any bicycle shop" Most have these Chinese copies. I ordered Shimano from Amazon, they cost $21 and took a week to get here. They work very well thank you but don't pretend that good quick releases are easily available from your local bike shop. Most modern drop-outs are vertical and these older steel bikes have horizontal drop outs.

All of the old time bike riders know the difference between horizontal and vertical rear dropouts. Older steel bikes had horizontal so in theory you could adjust your wheelbase. Move the rear wheel closer or farther from the bottom bracket. The old time horizontal dropouts had screws in the back of the dropouts so you could position the axle back or forward.

Regarding quick releases. Old style, Shimano and Campagnolo, use offset quick releases.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/275460763611?hash=item4022bdafdb:g:j4IAAOSwksNjIlH-
New style quick releases use an inline cam. They can be made lighter.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/374193103044?hash=item571fa5a0c4:g:UVYAAOSwFmNh3aAK
The old style offset cam quick releases are able to exert a lot more force on the derailleur hanger and keep the wheel in place securely. The new inline quick releases cannot exert as much force. Therefore, they can and do allow the wheel to slip. On a horizontal dropout.

Re: Amazon Reviews

<59ef73f2-2266-4d32-af65-3f8ecb8ac08cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=64000&group=rec.bicycles.tech#64000

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 17:41:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 00:41 UTC

On Wednesday, September 14, 2022 at 7:35:01 AM UTC-5, lou.h...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 14, 2022 at 9:00:42 AM UTC+2, Roger Merriman wrote:
> > Frank Krygowski <frkr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > That's really puzzling. You're constantly churning through bikes and
> > > parts. How could you not have any
> > > quick releases in any bikes or spare wheels?
> > >
> > > In 50 years of riding, I think there was only one time I had a problem
> > > and needed to borrow a quick release -
> > > and I mean "borrow" it from another bike I owned. You can ride only one
> > > at a time, you know.
> > >
> > > - Frank Krygowski
> > >
> > Or since they are cheap buy from local bike shop, they are what £5? My
> > commute bike eats the front QR possibly having a bar bag extra weight etc?
> >
> > Roger Merriman
> I also don't get it why you would buy such an item from Amazon. If you don't have a LBS close to you I would buy them from a bike shop with a webshop not Amazon. I have a problem with the way Amazon works. F*ck them. It doesn't get better than this:
> https://www.bike-components.de/en/Shimano/Ultegra-HB-6800-FH-6800-Quick-Release-p38957/
>
> Lou

Gosh Lou, those Shimano Ultegra quick releases are a total of 17.30 Euros. That is about $17.30 USA Dollars. Expensive!!!!!! I bet Tommy bought his Chinese skewers for $16.95. Tommy saved a whole $0.35 going Chinese. Somewhat ironic that Trump loving Republican Tommy yells the Make America Great Again saying. But instead of supporting American skewer makers, or even fellow G7 countries like Japan and Shimano, Tommy sends his money to China. Communist China.

Re: Amazon Reviews

<tftv81$37duc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=64004&group=rec.bicycles.tech#64004

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 18:30:39 -0700
 by: sms - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 01:30 UTC

On 9/13/2022 2:48 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

<snip>

> My guess(tm) is that Amazon is trying to deal with a deluge of fake
> reviews. You know the problem, where one can't trust what they read
> online. Amazon is constantly changing and improving their fake review
> detection algorithm with variable results. For example, reviews with
> perfect spelling were treated as machine generated, while reviews with
> common spelling errors would pass as human generated. Fortunately,
> that didn't last long. Sending email to community-help@amazon.com
> worked for the 2nd author. Try it.

I got that message recently. All my reviews, over many years, have been
deleted and I can no longer post reviews. Since you can only post review
on items you have actually purchased, you'd think that that would cut
down on fake reviews.

All of my reviews were detailed and accurate. There were a bunch of
reviews complaining that the item sent was not the item described or
ordered, usually regarding items like cables with the wrong connector,
and there were always other reviewers that stated the exact same issue.
One thing I learned was that you never let Amazon replace an item when
they item sent is not as described because invariably the replacement
will also be wrong.

There is essentially no information on what triggers a ban on reviews,
and no way to contact anyone to get your reviews restored. It's really
annoying. It's like on Yelp, where you write an accurate review, even a
really good review, and they hide it in "Not Recommended."

I'm a good speller and use good grammar, so maybe that triggered the
fake review algorithm.

Re: Amazon Reviews

<tftvts$37fdh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=64005&group=rec.bicycles.tech#64005

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 18:42:18 -0700
 by: sms - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 01:42 UTC

On 9/13/2022 4:43 PM, russellseaton1@yahoo.com wrote:

<snip>

> Tommy, I thought you had a full garage of bikes. You always have two or three for sale on eBay. Yet, you had to ride this bike? And NEEDED a set of quick release levers in ONE DAY? Don't you have any other sets of wheels? Or take the wheels from another bike and put it onto this bike. Or just unscrew the quick release levers from the other bike and use them on this set of wheels. You do know, don't you, that it is very easy to move quick release levers between wheels. They easily unscrew and pull out of the hub. 15 seconds to move them between wheels.

In 1993 I went on a tandem tour in Russia, with blind stokers. We all
brought our tandems with us, from all over the world.

While we were unpacking and setting up our tandems, one guy from Marin
County was telling us how he had had his Santana tandem "professionally
packed" by a bicycle shop. However that bicycle shop had removed the QR
skewers from the wheels and not put them in the box. In Russia in 1993
there were no bicycle shops where you could buy parts like QR skewers,
Russian cyclists got their equipment from Finland. Nor could you go to a
hardware store and buy nuts, bolts, or threaded rod.

Before I had left on this trip I took all my various bicycle spare
components and put them into a very heavy duffel bag. In that bag was a
set of QR skewers. They were way too long. The tandem owner went out to
the chain link fence in back of our zero star hotel and found some rusty
nuts and bolts. He took some nuts to use as spacers. That worked okay
for the 800Km ride.

In 2019 I was in Milan and did a city bicycle tour with a company owned
by a Russian woman and I was telling her about this ride in Russia. She
put up an account of it on her web site
<https://www.velocipedi.com/uncategorized/bicycle-built-for-one-world-tandem-bike-ride/>.