From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Video Versus the Hood
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 14:36:44 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 21:36 UTC

I've got four autodark welding hoods, and one with a fixed #10 lens
(might be #11 I forget). Two of them are fairly cheap and two are what
I call 1st stage good. Not a top of the line, but first step up in
price to a helmet some pros have said is adequate. Arguably the Harbor
Freight Vulcan is the best or maybe its just my favorite. My son
prefers the Lincoln Viking. That's the better one Lincoln sent me for
free when I threw a temper tantrum about buying the most expensive
helmet in local box hardware store and finding out it didn't have a
replaceable battery. The Viking is pretty good.

Anyway, none of them produce anything close to the viewing picture you
see on video on the big welding video channels. Is the camera really
correcting that much or is there really an auto lens that will produce
that quality of viewing picture.

www.avg.com

Re: Video Versus the Hood

<29644c9d-e59a-4918-a662-cf1761a7e932n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6392&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6392

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 20:44:27 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Video Versus the Hood
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 03:44 UTC

On Monday, September 5, 2022 at 2:36:49 PM UTC-7, Bob La Londe wrote:
> I've got four autodark welding hoods...
>
> Anyway, none of them produce anything close to the viewing picture you
> see on video on the big welding video channels. Is the camera really
> correcting that much or is there really an auto lens that will produce
> that quality of viewing picture.

Cameras are cheap; it's possible to put four or five of 'em in a cluster, with
different neutral density filters (or just pinholes) and choose the best
image.

In theory, the photochromics used for auto-sunglasses could do it, too,
but that would have to be applied at the image plane, by the camera sensor manufacturer.

Re: Video Versus the Hood

<tfb2m0$atj5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6393&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6393

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 17:32:17 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 21:32 UTC

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:tf5q5b$5ts$1@gioia.aioe.org...

I've got four autodark welding hoods, and one with a fixed #10 lens
(might be #11 I forget). Two of them are fairly cheap and two are what
I call 1st stage good. Not a top of the line, but first step up in
price to a helmet some pros have said is adequate. Arguably the Harbor
Freight Vulcan is the best or maybe its just my favorite. My son
prefers the Lincoln Viking. That's the better one Lincoln sent me for
free when I threw a temper tantrum about buying the most expensive
helmet in local box hardware store and finding out it didn't have a
replaceable battery. The Viking is pretty good.

Anyway, none of them produce anything close to the viewing picture you
see on video on the big welding video channels. Is the camera really
correcting that much or is there really an auto lens that will produce
that quality of viewing picture.
------------------------

I think the answer is to flood the surroundings with bright light such as
halogen work lights to reduce the contrast between the arc and surroundings.
I can see the joint I'm trying to follow better in full sunlight. A neutral
density (ND) filter on the lens protects it from spatter.

Re: Video Versus the Hood

<tfm3rp$15ms$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6427&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6427

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 19:00:25 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 02:00 UTC

On 9/7/2022 2:32 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "Bob La Londe"  wrote in message news:tf5q5b$5ts$1@gioia.aioe.org...
>
> I've got four autodark welding hoods, and one with a fixed #10 lens
> (might be #11 I forget).  Two of them are fairly cheap and two are what
> I call 1st stage good.  Not a top of the line, but first step up in
> price to a helmet some pros have said is adequate.  Arguably the Harbor
> Freight Vulcan is the best or maybe its just my favorite.  My son
> prefers the Lincoln Viking.  That's the better one Lincoln sent me for
> free when I threw a temper tantrum about buying the most expensive
> helmet in local box hardware store and finding out it didn't have a
> replaceable battery.  The Viking is pretty good.
>
> Anyway, none of them produce anything close to the viewing picture you
> see on video on the big welding video channels.  Is the camera really
> correcting that much or is there really an auto lens that will produce
> that quality of viewing picture.
> ------------------------
>
> I think the answer is to flood the surroundings with bright light such
> as halogen work lights to reduce the contrast between the arc and
> surroundings. I can see the joint I'm trying to follow better in full
> sunlight. A neutral density (ND) filter on the lens protects it from
> spatter.

That's generally what I do. My welding table is right in front of a
south facing overhead door in my shop. I either raise the door or pull
a couple halogen lamps off the shelf. Can't raise the door and get good
welds if the wind is bad.

https://www.avg.com