It's documented in The Book, somewhere... -- Larry Wall in <10502@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>

tech / sci.electronics.design / OT - Sang-froid

SubjectAuthor
* OT - Sang-froidClive Arthur
`* Re: OT - Sang-froidFred Bloggs
 +* Re: OT - Sang-froidamdx
 |`* Re: OT - Sang-froidFred Bloggs
 | `* Re: OT - Sang-froidamdx
 |  `* Re: OT - Sang-froidamdx
 |   `* Re: OT - Sang-froidRalph Mowery
 |    `- Re: OT - Sang-froidamdx
 +- Re: OT - Sang-froidPhil Hobbs
 `* Re: OT - Sang-froidjlarkin
  `- Re: OT - Sang-froidPhil Hobbs

1
OT - Sang-froid

<s8nnk6$6ir$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63968&group=sci.electronics.design#63968

From: cli...@nowaytoday.co.uk (Clive Arthur)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: OT - Sang-froid
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 10:08:50 +0100
 by: Clive Arthur - Thu, 27 May 2021 09:08 UTC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f02rFjsZrB8

--
Cheers
Clive

Re: OT - Sang-froid

<39e05f09-446e-47ab-bc9e-1857cb1f6b1en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63970&group=sci.electronics.design#63970

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 06:56:18 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: OT - Sang-froid
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Thu, 27 May 2021 13:56 UTC

On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 5:09:32 AM UTC-4, Clive Arthur wrote:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f02rFjsZrB8

That's the well-known hinge effect on the rake wall, viz the clean break. Rake wall is the wall closing up the gable end. The framing was not tied into the strength of main side wall. Looks like they just tacked it into that crummy single board top plate. The joint is then a hinge that can open open up if the interior is compromised by wind leakage for some reason. Usually it's enough to overlap the structural cladding into the side wall by four feet ( half a panel ) or so. The structure looks like some crummy public housing, meaning the contractor was apathetic since he'll change his DBA as soon as the government sends him a big fat check for nothing. Nobody gives a damn in that kind of neighborhood, so the passerby continuing to walk past is not unusual.

> --
> Cheers
> Clive

Re: OT - Sang-froid

<s8oa14$8f3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63976&group=sci.electronics.design#63976

From: amd...@knology.net (amdx)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 09:23:31 -0500
 by: amdx - Thu, 27 May 2021 14:23 UTC

On 5/27/2021 8:56 AM, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 5:09:32 AM UTC-4, Clive Arthur wrote:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f02rFjsZrB8
> That's the well-known hinge effect on the rake wall, viz the clean break. Rake wall is the wall closing up the gable end. The framing was not tied into the strength of main side wall. Looks like they just tacked it into that crummy single board top plate. The joint is then a hinge that can open open up if the interior is compromised by wind leakage for some reason. Usually it's enough to overlap the structural cladding into the side wall by four feet ( half a panel ) or so. The structure looks like some crummy public housing, meaning the contractor was apathetic since he'll change his DBA as soon as the government sends him a big fat check for nothing. Nobody gives a damn in that kind of neighborhood, so the passerby continuing to walk past is not unusual.
>
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Clive

We had a hurricane a couple years ago. The gable end of my garage had a
2 ft overhang. I think the wind lifted the roof just enough

to let the wall tip in. Lost a few plywood panels off the roof. When the
wall tipped in it leaned against my truck and didn't fall any further.

 The wall had to be rebuilt, rebricked (found a good match for 45 year
old brick) and had up to date hurricane bracing installed.

> https://www.dropbox.com/s/u5pclrgzvqxsy14/Michael%20garage%20DB.jpg?dl=0

Re: OT - Sang-froid

<6bf83eb2-a1a7-a82d-b9a4-65b603cec5c2@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63977&group=sci.electronics.design#63977

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 10:25:25 -0400
 by: Phil Hobbs - Thu, 27 May 2021 14:25 UTC

Fred Bloggs wrote:
> On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 5:09:32 AM UTC-4, Clive Arthur wrote:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f02rFjsZrB8
>
> That's the well-known hinge effect on the rake wall, viz the clean
> break. Rake wall is the wall closing up the gable end. The framing
> was not tied into the strength of main side wall. Looks like they
> just tacked it into that crummy single board top plate. The joint is
> then a hinge that can open open up if the interior is compromised by
> wind leakage for some reason. Usually it's enough to overlap the
> structural cladding into the side wall by four feet ( half a panel )
> or so. The structure looks like some crummy public housing, meaning
> the contractor was apathetic since he'll change his DBA as soon as
> the government sends him a big fat check for nothing. Nobody gives a
> damn in that kind of neighborhood, so the passerby continuing to walk
> past is not unusual.

He's clearly a man of great spiritual attainment.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Re: OT - Sang-froid

<p5cvaglsmnkebo4evujs9lgacg8lgq96fa@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63981&group=sci.electronics.design#63981

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 07:51:18 -0700
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Thu, 27 May 2021 14:51 UTC

On Thu, 27 May 2021 06:56:18 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
<bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 5:09:32 AM UTC-4, Clive Arthur wrote:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f02rFjsZrB8
>
>That's the well-known hinge effect on the rake wall, viz the clean break. Rake wall is the wall closing up the gable end. The framing was not tied into the strength of main side wall. Looks like they just tacked it into that crummy single board top plate. The joint is then a hinge that can open open up if the interior is compromised by wind leakage for some reason. Usually it's enough to overlap the structural cladding into the side wall by four feet ( half a panel ) or so. The structure looks like some crummy public housing, meaning the contractor was apathetic since he'll change his DBA as soon as the government sends him a big fat check for nothing. Nobody gives a damn in that kind of neighborhood, so the passerby continuing to walk past is not unusual.
>

>> --
>> Cheers
>> Clive

In the '89 earthquake, the entire brick facing of a 7-story apartment
building next to work peeled off and landed on the sidewalk. By some
miracle, nobody was hurt. One brick might have killed someone.

The skin seemed to be thin plywood with brick facing. There was one
nail every three courses of bricks embedded in the mortar.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

Re: OT - Sang-froid

<aa70ed63-cd99-a955-7840-92d39f1da5f5@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63982&group=sci.electronics.design#63982

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 11:02:29 -0400
 by: Phil Hobbs - Thu, 27 May 2021 15:02 UTC

jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Thu, 27 May 2021 06:56:18 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
> <bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 5:09:32 AM UTC-4, Clive Arthur wrote:
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f02rFjsZrB8
>>
>> That's the well-known hinge effect on the rake wall, viz the clean break. Rake wall is the wall closing up the gable end. The framing was not tied into the strength of main side wall. Looks like they just tacked it into that crummy single board top plate. The joint is then a hinge that can open open up if the interior is compromised by wind leakage for some reason. Usually it's enough to overlap the structural cladding into the side wall by four feet ( half a panel ) or so. The structure looks like some crummy public housing, meaning the contractor was apathetic since he'll change his DBA as soon as the government sends him a big fat check for nothing. Nobody gives a damn in that kind of neighborhood, so the passerby continuing to walk past is not unusual.
>>

>>> --
>>> Cheers
>>> Clive
>
> In the '89 earthquake, the entire brick facing of a 7-story apartment
> building next to work peeled off and landed on the sidewalk. By some
> miracle, nobody was hurt. One brick might have killed someone.
>
> The skin seemed to be thin plywood with brick facing. There was one
> nail every three courses of bricks embedded in the mortar.

One gathers the building inspector made many boat payments out of that one.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Re: OT - Sang-froid

<f69e0c93-e139-4399-b955-f66125477d2an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=63983&group=sci.electronics.design#63983

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 08:03:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Thu, 27 May 2021 15:03 UTC

On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 10:23:39 AM UTC-4, amdx wrote:
> On 5/27/2021 8:56 AM, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> > On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 5:09:32 AM UTC-4, Clive Arthur wrote:
> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f02rFjsZrB8
> > That's the well-known hinge effect on the rake wall, viz the clean break. Rake wall is the wall closing up the gable end. The framing was not tied into the strength of main side wall. Looks like they just tacked it into that crummy single board top plate. The joint is then a hinge that can open open up if the interior is compromised by wind leakage for some reason. Usually it's enough to overlap the structural cladding into the side wall by four feet ( half a panel ) or so. The structure looks like some crummy public housing, meaning the contractor was apathetic since he'll change his DBA as soon as the government sends him a big fat check for nothing. Nobody gives a damn in that kind of neighborhood, so the passerby continuing to walk past is not unusual.
> >
> >> --
> >> Cheers
> >> Clive
> We had a hurricane a couple years ago. The gable end of my garage had a
> 2 ft overhang. I think the wind lifted the roof just enough
>
> to let the wall tip in. Lost a few plywood panels off the roof. When the
> wall tipped in it leaned against my truck and didn't fall any further.
>
> The wall had to be rebuilt, rebricked (found a good match for 45 year
> old brick) and had up to date hurricane bracing installed.
>
> > https://www.dropbox.com/s/u5pclrgzvqxsy14/Michael%20garage%20DB.jpg?dl=0

Wow -what a mess! The bricklayer did a good job, note how the bricks hung together.

The force acing on structures due to wind is proportional to the product of area times velocity squared. So it doesn't take much to end up with tens of thousands of pounds of push. And if the push is in a direction the fasteners were not designed to resist, you get instant failure. That's why walls get pushed out and roofs get pushed up and away.

Your sidewall got pushed in at the center because it was too much moment acting on that horizontal span. It just plain failed due to overload from the wind. That kind of thing is prevented by reinforcing a span like that with a steel or big thick LVL beam. That's in addition to all the hurricane connectors.

> --

Re: OT - Sang-froid

<s8qu1h$fce$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=64053&group=sci.electronics.design#64053

From: amd...@knology.net (amdx)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 09:17:19 -0500
 by: amdx - Fri, 28 May 2021 14:17 UTC

On 5/27/2021 10:03 AM, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 10:23:39 AM UTC-4, amdx wrote:
>>> That's the well-known hinge effect on the rake wall, viz the clean break. Rake wall is the wall closing up the gable end. The framing was not tied into the strength of main side wall. Looks like they just tacked it into that crummy single board top plate. The joint is then a hinge that can open open up if the interior is compromised by wind leakage for some reason. Usually it's enough to overlap the structural cladding into the side wall by four feet ( half a panel ) or so. The structure looks like some crummy public housing, meaning the contractor was apathetic since he'll change his DBA as soon as the government sends him a big fat check for nothing. Nobody gives a damn in that kind of neighborhood, so the passerby continuing to walk past is not unusual.

>> We had a hurricane a couple years ago. The gable end of my garage had a
>> 2 ft overhang. I think the wind lifted the roof just enough
>>
>> to let the wall tip in. Lost a few plywood panels off the roof. When the
>> wall tipped in it leaned against my truck and didn't fall any further.
>>
>> The wall had to be rebuilt, rebricked (found a good match for 45 year
>> old brick) and had up to date hurricane bracing installed.
>>
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/u5pclrgzvqxsy14/Michael%20garage%20DB.jpg?dl=0
> Wow -what a mess! The bricklayer did a good job, note how the bricks hung together.

Ya, hadn't thought about how well they hung together. The wind was
exactly perpendicular to the wall when it collapsed.

There was more damage, Carport got wrapped around my pecan tree, all of
the screen porch was laid out in the yard. We have

 an arched greenhouse with three 25ft by 12ft walls, all three were
laid on the ground and many of the arches were bent beyond reuse.

It was 1 yr before we were back to normal, I guess we were lucky, 2-1/2
yrs later some still are living in a trailer next to their damaged home.

Two homes in my 100 home neighborhood were completely totaled.

There was $90k of damage to my property, more if you put a price on the
75ft wooded area that was badly damaged but then cleared by the car
dealer/owner.

The woods was a great buffer between the car dealer and my home,
couldn't see them at all.

> The force acing on structures due to wind is proportional to the product of area times velocity squared. So it doesn't take much to end up with tens of thousands of pounds of push. And if the push is in a direction the fasteners were not designed to resist, you get instant failure. That's why walls get pushed out and roofs get pushed up and away.
>
> Your sidewall got pushed in at the center because it was too much moment acting on that horizontal span. It just plain failed due to overload from the wind. That kind of thing is prevented by reinforcing a span like that with a steel or big thick LVL beam. That's in addition to all the hurricane connectors.
>

>> --

Re: OT - Sang-froid

<s8qvo2$rq2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=64055&group=sci.electronics.design#64055

From: amd...@knology.net (amdx)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 09:46:25 -0500
 by: amdx - Fri, 28 May 2021 14:46 UTC

BTW, my truck that was inside the garage actually held up the wall. The
stress from the wall had to be

removed before the truck could get out of the garage. The insurance
company totaled the truck, mostly because of age, not damage.

It had a 5 inch crease behind the back window and a couple of small
dimples on the hood. They paid me $2,937 after insurance deductible,

and I bought it back for $736. I did no repairs and still drive it
daily. Toyota T-100.

Re: OT - Sang-froid

<MPG.3b1ad009595ce7d09897d2@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=64057&group=sci.electronics.design#64057

From: rmower...@charter.net (Ralph Mowery)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 11:02:36 -0400
 by: Ralph Mowery - Fri, 28 May 2021 15:02 UTC

In article <s8qvo2$rq2$1@dont-email.me>, amdx@knology.net says...

> BTW, my truck that was inside the garage actually held up the wall. The
> stress from the wall had to be
>
> removed before the truck could get out of the garage. The insurance
> company totaled the truck, mostly because of age, not damage.
>
> It had a 5 inch crease behind the back window and a couple of small
> dimples on the hood. They paid me $2,937 after insurance deductible,
>
> and I bought it back for $736. I did no repairs and still drive it
> daily. Toyota T-100.

Lots of times the insurance company will total loss a vehicle if it is
very old and there is very much body damage. Just less expensive to do
that for the insurance company. If you do not care how it looks like
you seemed to do, you can come out well.

Re: OT - Sang-froid

<s8r2bo$fe6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=64059&group=sci.electronics.design#64059

From: amd...@knology.net (amdx)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 10:31:03 -0500
 by: amdx - Fri, 28 May 2021 15:31 UTC

On 5/28/2021 10:02 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
> In article <s8qvo2$rq2$1@dont-email.me>, amdx@knology.net says...
>> BTW, my truck that was inside the garage actually held up the wall. The
>> stress from the wall had to be
>>
>> removed before the truck could get out of the garage. The insurance
>> company totaled the truck, mostly because of age, not damage.
>>
>> It had a 5 inch crease behind the back window and a couple of small
>> dimples on the hood. They paid me $2,937 after insurance deductible,
>>
>> and I bought it back for $736. I did no repairs and still drive it
>> daily. Toyota T-100.
>>

> Lots of times the insurance company will total loss a vehicle if it is
> very old and there is very much body damage. Just less expensive to do
> that for the insurance company. If you do not care how it looks like
> you seemed to do, you can come out well.

I didn't come out so well on our GMC white van. You may have noticed the
white vans seem to have large areas

where the paint just falls off and primer is exposed. The wind, sand and
debris blew off chunks of paint,

but the insurance guy only allowed $1600 for the repairs, when it really
required a full paint job, even

though it was minor damage on lots of panels. I probably should have
complained, but I had a lot

of more important things going on at the time.

 The 97 T-100 still looks good, have had offers from strangers in
parking lots want to buy it.