Old mail has arrived.

tech / sci.physics.relativity / Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for the Advancement of Physics

SubjectAuthor
* Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for the Advancement of PhysicsRichard Hertz
+- Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for theJanPB
`* Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for theRichard Hertz
 `* Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for thePython
  `* Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for the Advancement of PhysicRichard Hertz
   `* Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for the Advancement of PhysicRichard Hertz
    `* Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for theOdd Bodkin
     `* Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for theRichard Hertz
      `* Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for theOdd Bodkin
       +* Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for theRichard Hertz
       |+- Kapo Richard Hertz wanders about his motivationsDono.
       |`* Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for theOdd Bodkin
       | `* Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for theRichard Hertz
       |  `* Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for theOdd Bodkin
       |   `* Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for theMaciej Wozniak
       |    `* Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for theRichard Hertz
       |     `- Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for theOdd Bodkin
       `- Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for theMaciej Wozniak

1
Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for the Advancement of Physics

<1d253316-46c0-44cf-9f91-c8f696aa9bfan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=64561&group=sci.physics.relativity#64561

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 15:45:54 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for the Advancement of Physics
From: hertz...@gmail.com (Richard Hertz)
 by: Richard Hertz - Sun, 8 Aug 2021 22:45 UTC

For physicists at the edge of a nervous breakdown, it's word that several
rooms within such Institute are built as secured comfort zones, where young
(mostly) or old physicists can take a rest.

The walls, built with shock-absorbing materials, have lots of posters with
reaffirming statements about fundamentals of physics. The places are
psycho-engineered in such a way that music, lightning and snacks match the
needs of pour souls in pain under the pressure to swallow the daily portion
of shitty physics.

Some points at the posters are:

- Einstein is always proven right, even when wrong.
- Speed of light continues to be an universal constant, now at 299792458 m/s.
- All the values of physical radius of elementary particles have been deleted from NIST databases, in order to make room for ongoing theories
about the structure of protons and neutrons. Electron classical radius
has been redefined as 10^-15 mt, but only to account for the
unexplained energy held at his electric field in a way that it fits
renormalization.
- Time dilation is true.
- Relative blue or red-shifting is true.
- Gravitational masses really bend light path.
- Gravitational time dilation is true.
- Photons really exist.
- QCD is a real science.
- Lambda-CDM is the ultimate model of the universe.
- Muon's average decay time is an universal constant.
- Weak electroforce is real.
- Length contraction, according to SR, is THIS close to be proven true.
- Einstein was a lone genius, so you can too.
- The duality wave-particle behavior is true, depending where, how and by who.
- It's OK not to understand QM, QFT, QED or QCD. Nobody does.
- People who talk about Einstein's plagiarism is mean and antisemite.
- Gravitational waves are real. Big money have been invested to prove it.
- Dark Matter and Dark Energy are soon to be recreated at CERN. Word!
- Neutrinos are real. Their masses are soon to be determined.
- Trust only in mathematics. Your human senses are deceitful.
- Between mathematics outcomes and logic, choose mathematics.
- Empiricism is wrong, as well as heuristic methods.
- Trust computer models, specially if they render colorful 3D like
animations. They are there so your head doesn't explode trying it by hand.
-

And a lot more of single bullets marking reaffirming statements.

*******************************

And this is a joke, for the bitter members of this forum!

Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for the Advancement of Physics

<072bcb82-65d5-4ba6-93f9-59565317034bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=64566&group=sci.physics.relativity#64566

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 20:58:56 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for the
Advancement of Physics
From: film...@gmail.com (JanPB)
 by: JanPB - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 03:58 UTC

On Sunday, August 8, 2021 at 3:45:55 PM UTC-7, Richard Hertz wrote:
> For physicists at the edge of a nervous breakdown, it's word that several
> rooms within such Institute are built as secured comfort zones, where young
> (mostly) or old physicists can take a rest.
>
> The walls, built with shock-absorbing materials, have lots of posters with
> reaffirming statements about fundamentals of physics. The places are
> psycho-engineered in such a way that music, lightning and snacks match the
> needs of pour souls in pain under the pressure to swallow the daily portion
> of shitty physics.
>
> Some points at the posters are:
>
> - Einstein is always proven right, even when wrong.

You never get tired of acting infantile?

--
Jan

Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for the Advancement of Physics

<d00736fb-4cf8-4754-a805-f67aaef69369n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=64567&group=sci.physics.relativity#64567

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 21:21:07 -0700 (PDT)
Advancement of Physics
From: hertz...@gmail.com (Richard Hertz)
 by: Richard Hertz - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 04:21 UTC

On Sunday, August 8, 2021 at 7:45:55 PM UTC-3, Richard Hertz wrote:
> For physicists at the edge of a nervous breakdown, it's word that several
> rooms within such Institute are built as secured comfort zones, where young
> (mostly) or old physicists can take a rest.
>
> The walls, built with shock-absorbing materials, have lots of posters with
> reaffirming statements about fundamentals of physics. The places are
> psycho-engineered in such a way that music, lightning and snacks match the
> needs of pour souls in pain under the pressure to swallow the daily portion
> of shitty physics.
>
> Some points at the posters are:
>
> - Einstein is always proven right, even when wrong.
> - Speed of light continues to be an universal constant, now at 299792458 m/s.
> - All the values of physical radius of elementary particles have been deleted from NIST databases, in order to make room for ongoing theories
> about the structure of protons and neutrons. Electron classical radius
> has been redefined as 10^-15 mt, but only to account for the
> unexplained energy held at his electric field in a way that it fits
> renormalization.
> - Time dilation is true.
> - Relative blue or red-shifting is true.
> - Gravitational masses really bend light path.
> - Gravitational time dilation is true.
> - Photons really exist.
> - QCD is a real science.
> - Lambda-CDM is the ultimate model of the universe.
> - Muon's average decay time is an universal constant.
> - Weak electroforce is real.
> - Length contraction, according to SR, is THIS close to be proven true.
> - Einstein was a lone genius, so you can too.
> - The duality wave-particle behavior is true, depending where, how and by who.
> - It's OK not to understand QM, QFT, QED or QCD. Nobody does.
> - People who talk about Einstein's plagiarism is mean and antisemite.
> - Gravitational waves are real. Big money have been invested to prove it.
> - Dark Matter and Dark Energy are soon to be recreated at CERN. Word!
> - Neutrinos are real. Their masses are soon to be determined.
> - Trust only in mathematics. Your human senses are deceitful.
> - Between mathematics outcomes and logic, choose mathematics.
> - Empiricism is wrong, as well as heuristic methods.
> - Trust computer models, specially if they render colorful 3D like
> animations. They are there so your head doesn't explode trying it by hand.
> -
>
> And a lot more of single bullets marking reaffirming statements.
>
> *******************************
>
> And this is a joke, for the bitter members of this forum!

I forgot some other reassuring statements for physicists doubting about the structure of the building of physics:

- It's true that Einstein invented the laser.
- Be proud of your career's choice. Thanks to Einstein transistor was invented. Also 2 nanometers & 25 billion transistor
chips are already powering desktop supercomputers.
- Thanks to Einstein theories, GPS networks allow to measure Earth's tectonic plates in the range of 2-3 mm/year.
- Without Einstein's theories, CERN LHC had never been built because of its senseless.
- Einstein's theories allow automatic navegation for ships, planes and cars in a precise and safe manner.
- Without Einstein's theories, A and H bombs wouldn't be developed, nor nuclear energy.
- Without Einstein's theories, chemistry would have been stuck since mid '1920s.
- Without Einstein's theories, communications would have been stuck in Morse coding and poor voice analog channels.
- Without Einstein's theories, flat panels, touch screen and smartphones networks wouldn't exist.
- Without Einstein's theories, factory automation and current state of AI wouldn't had happened.

- Be proud of your einstenian creeds, use you supportive AE credential and don't forget
to assist at meetings in your local AE church every week.

- Don't be bullied by the horde of anti-einstenians. Just call them antisemite crancks and open a complain
at your local Temple of Relative Truth.

Teasing keeps going here.

Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for the Advancement of Physics

<6110ae69$0$32514$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=64570&group=sci.physics.relativity#64570

Advancement of Physics
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
From: pyt...@python.invalid (Python)
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 06:26:17 +0200
 by: Python - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 04:26 UTC

Richard Hertz wrote:
> [...]
> - Einstein's theories allow automatic navegation for ships, planes and cars in a precise and safe manner.
> - Without Einstein's theories, A and H bombs wouldn't be developed, nor nuclear energy.
> - Without Einstein's theories, chemistry would have been stuck since mid '1920s.
> - Without Einstein's theories, communications would have been stuck in Morse coding and poor voice analog channels.
> - Without Einstein's theories, flat panels, touch screen and smartphones networks wouldn't exist.
> - Without Einstein's theories, factory automation and current state of AI wouldn't had happened.
>
> - Be proud of your einstenian creeds, use you supportive AE credential and don't forget
> to assist at meetings in your local AE church every week.
>
> - Don't be bullied by the horde of anti-einstenians. Just call them antisemite crancks and open a complain

You are definitely INSANE.

Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for the Advancement of Physics

<88f6f52f-34f7-489f-b0fc-7faf99eaf175n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=64571&group=sci.physics.relativity#64571

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 21:33:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: hertz...@gmail.com (Richard Hertz)
 by: Richard Hertz - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 04:33 UTC

On Monday, August 9, 2021 at 1:26:20 AM UTC-3, Python wrote:

> You are definitely INSANE.

Try to invert each point, so you get closer to the truth.

Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for the Advancement of Physics

<f61f8680-a8b4-4058-97d6-7de8993aee70n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=64574&group=sci.physics.relativity#64574

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!4.us.feeder.erje.net!2.eu.feeder.erje.net!feeder.erje.net!feeds.phibee-telecom.net!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed7.news.xs4all.nl!tr3.eu1.usenetexpress.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr2.iad1.usenetexpress.com!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!news-out.google.com!nntp.google.com!postnews.google.com!google-groups.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 22:20:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: hertz...@gmail.com (Richard Hertz)
 by: Richard Hertz - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 05:20 UTC

On Monday, August 9, 2021 at 1:33:57 AM UTC-3, Richard Hertz wrote:
> On Monday, August 9, 2021 at 1:26:20 AM UTC-3, Python wrote:
>
> > You are definitely INSANE.
>
> Try to invert each point, so you get closer to the truth.

I'm reading now this book:

The Principles of Quantum Theory, From Planck's Quanta to the Higgs Boson The Nature of Quantum Reality and the Spirit of Copenhagen

And, as usual, the book is plagued by glorifying Einstein and his extraordinary contributions on Quantum Mechanics, in particular by:

- Guiding de Broglie into the right path, with his theory of Pilot Waves.
- Encouraging Schrodinger to sustain his ground against Heisenberg attacks (he advised him).
- Helping Bohr to convert to the photonic theory of emission and absorption.
- Helping to get a final outcome at the 1927 Solvay's conference.

So far, it is as I'm telling you. Can't wait to get the chapter on Higgs field and boson, but I can imagine
that he will be credited for that too.

Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for the Advancement of Physics

<ser7r0$1trf$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=64586&group=sci.physics.relativity#64586

From: bodkin...@gmail.com (Odd Bodkin)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Advancement of Physics
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 12:42:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Odd Bodkin - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 12:42 UTC

Richard Hertz <hertz778@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, August 9, 2021 at 1:33:57 AM UTC-3, Richard Hertz wrote:
>> On Monday, August 9, 2021 at 1:26:20 AM UTC-3, Python wrote:
>>
>>> You are definitely INSANE.
>>
>> Try to invert each point, so you get closer to the truth.
>
> I'm reading now this book:
>
> The Principles of Quantum Theory, From Planck's Quanta to the Higgs Boson
> The Nature of Quantum Reality and the Spirit of Copenhagen
>
> And, as usual, the book is plagued by glorifying Einstein and his
> extraordinary contributions on Quantum Mechanics, in particular by:
>
> - Guiding de Broglie into the right path, with his theory of Pilot Waves.
> - Encouraging Schrodinger to sustain his ground against Heisenberg
> attacks (he advised him).
> - Helping Bohr to convert to the photonic theory of emission and absorption.
> - Helping to get a final outcome at the 1927 Solvay's conference.
>
> So far, it is as I'm telling you. Can't wait to get the chapter on Higgs
> field and boson, but I can imagine
> that he will be credited for that too.

Isn’t it interesting that you’re reading Plotnitsky’s book and missing his
whole point about “principle thinking” and instead obsessing about every
mention of Einstein.

Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for the Advancement of Physics

<ff8dd511-6609-439b-a849-a2ec83f2179dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=64658&group=sci.physics.relativity#64658

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 12:50:43 -0700 (PDT)
Advancement of Physics
From: hertz...@gmail.com (Richard Hertz)
 by: Richard Hertz - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 19:50 UTC

On Monday, August 9, 2021 at 9:42:10 AM UTC-3, bodk...@gmail.com wrote:

> Isn’t it interesting that you’re reading Plotnitsky’s book and missing his
> whole point about “principle thinking” and instead obsessing about every
> mention of Einstein.
>
> --
> Odd Bodkin -- maker of fine toys, tools, tables

Not as funny as to troll you here (or Dono).

Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for the Advancement of Physics

<ses3nj$tv6$4@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=64670&group=sci.physics.relativity#64670

From: bodkin...@gmail.com (Odd Bodkin)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Advancement of Physics
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 20:38:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Odd Bodkin - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 20:38 UTC

Richard Hertz <hertz778@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, August 9, 2021 at 9:42:10 AM UTC-3, bodk...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Isn’t it interesting that you’re reading Plotnitsky’s book and missing his
>> whole point about “principle thinking” and instead obsessing about every
>> mention of Einstein.
>>
>> --
>> Odd Bodkin -- maker of fine toys, tools, tables
>
> Not as funny as to troll you here (or Dono).

Well, Richard, people who openly and candidly say, “Hey, I’m just here to
troll people” are confessing “Yeah, I”m a shameless asshole and I don’t
care about anything but my jollies.”

So if that’s how you want to be heard, I’m sure that can be accommodated.

Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for the Advancement of Physics

<996f9e48-f1b5-405c-b712-f7c687505adfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=64674&group=sci.physics.relativity#64674

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 13:49:06 -0700 (PDT)
Advancement of Physics
From: hertz...@gmail.com (Richard Hertz)
 by: Richard Hertz - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 20:49 UTC

On Monday, August 9, 2021 at 5:38:14 PM UTC-3, bodk...@gmail.com wrote:

> > Not as funny as to troll you here (or Dono).
> >
> Well, Richard, people who openly and candidly say, “Hey, I’m just here to
> troll people” are confessing “Yeah, I”m a shameless asshole and I don’t
> care about anything but my jollies.”
>
> So if that’s how you want to be heard, I’m sure that can be accommodated.
> --
> Odd Bodkin -- maker of fine toys, tools, tables

An enigma wrapped in a mystery!
What are my drives to post things here?

Kapo Richard Hertz wanders about his motivations

<ad12bbee-40e9-4a5d-9c54-cb37caeba93cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=64675&group=sci.physics.relativity#64675

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 14:13:46 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Kapo Richard Hertz wanders about his motivations
From: eggy2001...@gmail.com (Dono.)
 by: Dono. - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 21:13 UTC

On Monday, August 9, 2021 at 1:49:08 PM UTC-7, Richard Hertz wrote:

> What are my drives to post things here?

Insanity + racism.

Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for the Advancement of Physics

<ses5sf$1q2v$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=64676&group=sci.physics.relativity#64676

From: bodkin...@gmail.com (Odd Bodkin)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Advancement of Physics
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 21:14:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Odd Bodkin - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 21:14 UTC

Richard Hertz <hertz778@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, August 9, 2021 at 5:38:14 PM UTC-3, bodk...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>> Not as funny as to troll you here (or Dono).
>>>
>> Well, Richard, people who openly and candidly say, “Hey, I’m just here to
>> troll people” are confessing “Yeah, I”m a shameless asshole and I don’t
>> care about anything but my jollies.”
>>
>> So if that’s how you want to be heard, I’m sure that can be accommodated.
>> --
>> Odd Bodkin -- maker of fine toys, tools, tables
>
> An enigma wrapped in a mystery!
> What are my drives to post things here?

Who knows? What I do know is that someone with extra large shoes, a
red-ball nose, frizzy bright green hair, who drops trousers and falls down
a lot tends to get laughed at, even if he did not intend to be a clown.

Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for the Advancement of Physics

<f5b9e36f-3242-4cb6-9595-4ffc0b24c25dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=64699&group=sci.physics.relativity#64699

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 22:40:55 -0700 (PDT)
Advancement of Physics
From: hertz...@gmail.com (Richard Hertz)
 by: Richard Hertz - Tue, 10 Aug 2021 05:40 UTC

On Monday, August 9, 2021 at 6:14:58 PM UTC-3, bodk...@gmail.com wrote:

> Who knows? What I do know is that someone with extra large shoes, a
> red-ball nose, frizzy bright green hair, who drops trousers and falls down
> a lot tends to get laughed at, even if he did not intend to be a clown.

And yet, self-reassurance psychology is widely needed as the madness at physics escalates
year after year.

Now, the quest for sub-gluon blobs in on the making and DQCD has to make room for another
deeper, crazier try.

Not to mention the disorder is cosmology, where factions are using tribal methods of war.

And all of this while God laugh at us. We will never know. We are bounded to a planet where society
is, unknowingly, losing their material and spiritual values while nature and history has started to teach
us a lesson in every field of human endeavors (economy, ecosystems, technology, politics, freedoms, etc.)

Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for the Advancement of Physics

<82dc869f-e366-4928-9b0f-ebfd36de511cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=64708&group=sci.physics.relativity#64708

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 23:17:45 -0700 (PDT)
Advancement of Physics
From: maluwozn...@gmail.com (Maciej Wozniak)
 by: Maciej Wozniak - Tue, 10 Aug 2021 06:17 UTC

On Monday, 9 August 2021 at 22:38:14 UTC+2, bodk...@gmail.com wrote:

> Well, Richard, people who openly and candidly say, “Hey, I’m just here to
> troll people” are confessing “Yeah, I”m a shameless asshole and I don’t
> care about anything but my jollies.”

Well, Bod, people who openly and candidly undermine common sense
are confessing "Yeah, intelligence, logic, practicality, prudence,
rationality, sense, wisdom, wit - means nothing to me."

Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for the Advancement of Physics

<setsfb$19oe$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=64728&group=sci.physics.relativity#64728

From: bodkin...@gmail.com (Odd Bodkin)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Advancement of Physics
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 12:46:35 -0000 (UTC)
<f5b9e36f-3242-4cb6-9595-4ffc0b24c25dn@googlegroups.com>
 by: Odd Bodkin - Tue, 10 Aug 2021 12:46 UTC

Richard Hertz <hertz778@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, August 9, 2021 at 6:14:58 PM UTC-3, bodk...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Who knows? What I do know is that someone with extra large shoes, a
>> red-ball nose, frizzy bright green hair, who drops trousers and falls down
>> a lot tends to get laughed at, even if he did not intend to be a clown.
>
> And yet, self-reassurance psychology is widely needed as the madness at physics escalates
> year after year.
>
> Now, the quest for sub-gluon blobs in on the making and DQCD has to make room for another
> deeper, crazier try.

The business of physics, and science in general, is to try out new ideas
once the success of the current model has been plumbed. This means testing
out lots of crazy ideas.

This, I gather, is offensive to you, and you would rather that people
settle on established principles, explore nothing new (because it might be
a failed idea), and instead just build things on those established
principles. That sounds like the mindset of an…engineer.

> Not to mention the disorder is cosmology, where factions are using tribal methods of war.
>
> And all of this while God laugh at us. We will never know. We are bounded
> to a planet where society
> is, unknowingly, losing their material and spiritual values while nature
> and history has started to teach
> us a lesson in every field of human endeavors (economy, ecosystems,
> technology, politics, freedoms, etc.)

Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for the Advancement of Physics

<74f78dfa-39ed-4bf0-81e1-64de6ecec2e8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=64801&group=sci.physics.relativity#64801

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 23:22:15 -0700 (PDT)
Advancement of Physics
From: maluwozn...@gmail.com (Maciej Wozniak)
 by: Maciej Wozniak - Wed, 11 Aug 2021 06:22 UTC

On Tuesday, 10 August 2021 at 14:46:38 UTC+2, bodk...@gmail.com wrote:

> This, I gather, is offensive to you, and you would rather that people
> settle on established principles, explore nothing new (because it might be
> a failed idea), and instead just build things on those established
> principles. That sounds like the mindset of an…engineer.

Poor idiot woodworker knows about engineers.

Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for the Advancement of Physics

<448b76cb-f033-4f05-bae5-4b8c0c4c397en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=65031&group=sci.physics.relativity#65031

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 20:48:13 -0700 (PDT)
Advancement of Physics
From: hertz...@gmail.com (Richard Hertz)
 by: Richard Hertz - Fri, 13 Aug 2021 03:48 UTC

Confirmation about one branch of the Snowflake Institute:

From the book:

The 4 Percent Universe
Dark Matter, Dark Energy, and The Race to Discover the Rest of Reality
Richard Panek

Excerpt from page 223:
"The Perimeter Institute began life in 2000 with a $100 million
endowment from Mike Lazaridis, the founder of Research in Motion, which
created the BlackBerry. The guiding principle was, as at many institutes, to give
theorists a place to think free of distractions.

The difference with Perimeter wasthat the freedom came with luxury. The interior design
of the building alternated between full-wall windows and exposed concrete. A four-story atrium
divided administrators from theorists. For lunch, the theorists could stop by the café, or
they could stay in their office and order room service."

See? And it isn't mentioned the amount of additional services: spa, psychiatric assistance line 24x7,
sense deprivation comfort pads (time limited, for safety), carbo-free food (to feed the brain) and an
very well supplied drug store, to put you artificially in the mood required by doctors, etc.

All valid for the advancement of physics.

Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for the Advancement of Physics

<sf5p8j$5e7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=65043&group=sci.physics.relativity#65043

From: bodkin...@gmail.com (Odd Bodkin)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Advancement of Physics
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 12:40:51 -0000 (UTC)
<f5b9e36f-3242-4cb6-9595-4ffc0b24c25dn@googlegroups.com>
<setsfb$19oe$2@gioia.aioe.org>
<74f78dfa-39ed-4bf0-81e1-64de6ecec2e8n@googlegroups.com>
<448b76cb-f033-4f05-bae5-4b8c0c4c397en@googlegroups.com>
 by: Odd Bodkin - Fri, 13 Aug 2021 12:40 UTC

Richard Hertz <hertz778@gmail.com> wrote:
> Confirmation about one branch of the Snowflake Institute:
>
> From the book:
>
> The 4 Percent Universe
> Dark Matter, Dark Energy, and The Race to Discover the Rest of Reality
> Richard Panek
>
> Excerpt from page 223:
> "The Perimeter Institute began life in 2000 with a $100 million
> endowment from Mike Lazaridis, the founder of Research in Motion, which
> created the BlackBerry. The guiding principle was, as at many institutes, to give
> theorists a place to think free of distractions.
>
> The difference with Perimeter wasthat the freedom came with luxury. The interior design
> of the building alternated between full-wall windows and exposed
> concrete. A four-story atrium
> divided administrators from theorists. For lunch, the theorists could stop by the café, or
> they could stay in their office and order room service."
>
> See? And it isn't mentioned the amount of additional services: spa,
> psychiatric assistance line 24x7,
> sense deprivation comfort pads (time limited, for safety), carbo-free
> food (to feed the brain) and an
> very well supplied drug store, to put you artificially in the mood
> required by doctors, etc.
>
> All valid for the advancement of physics.

For a while, I worked for a company in the private sector, following my
college graduation. The perks you describe above are in fact the norm for
any private company that hires mostly technical people, whether that is
Tesla or Microsoft. A friend of mine works in a software firm, where they
have a fully-equipped on-premise gym, morning yoga, massages by
appointment, a locally sourced cafeteria that features healthy food, free
coffee and cold beverages and snacks, recreation rooms with ping pong
tables and game consoles, an on-premise nurse and health facility, and
generous benefits with medical and psychological care, as well as in-kind
sponsorship of community volunteer service. The reason this company does
this is that just about all other companies of the same sort do it also,
and they want to retain the best talent. So what you describe at the
Perimeter Institute (another private institution) is not special.

Now, perhaps you feel that this is pampering the worker, and if you had
your way we’d return to more Dickensian days a la Mr. Scrooge.

tech / sci.physics.relativity / Re: Comfort zones built at the Snowflake Institute for the Advancement of Physics